• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where in the world is/was

Started by IndyValpo, February 03, 2012, 02:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Congrats to him, and I hope that he impresses!  We haven't had anyone play in an NBA game since Bryce, though we did have Ali Berdiel and Ron Howard play in summer league games.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on June 14, 2015, 04:32:14 PM
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere that Ryan Broekhoff was back on this side of the Pacific and nearby, as he was invited to the Toronto Raptors mini-camp for NBA free agents this past week. Rowdy finished his pro season this year in Turkey with an average of 11.5 pts. & 6.2 rebs. per game, and he shot 41.6% from the 3-point line. I hope he gets a look from a few NBA teams, especially with a fellow Aussie making news in the NBA finals.

Did anyone follow his contract situation at Besiktas? It seems like, last I saw, his social media fans were encouraging him to re-sign.  Was that around the time of his All-Star appearance?

HC

With Ryan working hard and earning his way on a Summer league team, I couldn't help but wander what ever happened to Brandon Wood? I dont wander enough to look it up myself, just kind of a passing thought.

vu72

Quote from: HC on July 07, 2015, 11:54:17 AM
With Ryan working hard and earning his way on a Summer league team, I couldn't help but wander what ever happened to Brandon Wood? I dont wander enough to look it up myself, just kind of a passing thought.

He has been playing in Europe and doing very well. He is now married and has his own Foundation helping kids in his native Kokomo, IN.  Here are his highlites from the 2015 season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxuA5Heinf8
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Quote from: vu72 on July 07, 2015, 12:14:56 PM
Quote from: HC on July 07, 2015, 11:54:17 AM

He has been playing in Europe and doing very well. He is now married and has his own Foundation helping kids in his native Kokomo, IN.  Here are his highlites from the 2015 season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxuA5Heinf8
Playing the point? Seems to really have the mid-range jumper working. 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

talksalot

updated schedule and link to watch Rowdy starting Friday 7/10...

http://www.nba.com/summerleague/2015/teams/nuggets/#schedule

Fri   07/10/2015   8:00 PM ET   Atlanta Hawks +
Sun   07/12/2015   8:00 PM ET   Sacramento Kings +
Mon   07/13/2015   8:00 PM ET   Miami Heat +

Smj

I can't wait to watch Ryan again.   I have only been able to see him play a couple times since Valpo  ...    Just checked and I get NBA TV so it looks like I will be able to see him as he makes his way to a regular spot in the NBA....  ;)

wh

Always wishing the best for 1 of my all-time favorite Crusaders who returned the Crusaders to basketball glory, hit the second greatest shot in Valpo history and, most importantly, is a great young man.

vusupporter

None of the three scheduled games are available on NBA TV, it looks like - which means the only option to watch would be purchasing the NBA Summer League Pass option online. We'll have to wait and see if any of the Nuggets' bracket round games get picked up by NBA TV.

Smj

Good start Ryan....   dunk and then a steal.....

talksalot

They offered one free night... so I watched...

http://www.nba.com/games/20150710/ATLDEN/gameinfo.html

nice box for Rowdy... Best +/- on the team ... nice stroke on that deep 3 from the right elbow...

valpopal

It was good to watch Ryan play well in his first NBA summer league game. He is no longer the skinny kid who played at Valpo, but has bulked up and strengthened quite a bit. He had 5 pts. on only 4 shots, 4 rebounds, 2 steals, a blocked shot, and a game-leading +/- of +19 in just 18 minutes of play off the bench. Only drawback is that Ryan is still a team player who doesn't look to take shots for himself, which doesn't help show off his scoring skill in games like these.

In addition, it was great to see him wearing his old Valpo #45.

Here is a link to video of Rowdy's dunk: https://vine.co/v/evbZVagvWDp

Smj

I'd have to agree on the "team player" comment.   I can remember two plays where he should have taken the shot.    However, his play looked really good and it was so nice to see him play.     

a3uge

Rowdy played well, despite only scoring 5 points. His shot still looks great, and he looked comfortable on D. He's a long shot to make any team, especially with other summer league players chucking to make an impression.

talksalot

and his line score for game 2:  He STARTED... but played only the first 5:35 of the game... 0-1 shooting with a turnover....that's it.  Denver did win big to go 2-0, with Miami Heat tomorrow night.  A bunch of Nugget players got a DNP tonight... my guess is Ryan will get that tomorrow.  they have a huge roster and some of those others need some playing time. 

Pgmado

Ryan aggravated an injury tonight. Said it was cautious to sit. Expects to play tomorrow.

a3uge

Quote from: talksalot on July 12, 2015, 08:55:42 PM
and his line score for game 2:  He STARTED... but played only the first 5:35 of the game... 0-1 shooting with a turnover....that's it.  Denver did win big to go 2-0, with Miami Heat tomorrow night.  A bunch of Nugget players got a DNP tonight... my guess is Ryan will get that tomorrow.  they have a huge roster and some of those others need some playing time.

^ Shoulder injury.

But hope he starts again tonight.

Chairback

I'll be the first in line to buy a Broekhoff nba jersey if he makes it. 

I think a team will eventually give him a contract.  He's a deadly and consistent shooter that's 6-7 and has good overall skills. 

valpospartan

classof2014

Obviously I'm hopeful Rowdy makes it into the NBA... Aren't we all?

It'll be interesting to watch him though and what the Nuggets want on their team. To me its more important to get somebody that isn't selfish and knows when to take the right shot not somebody that will try to cut to the basket every opportunity they get. If you are playing in the NBA summer league that usually means you don't have the talent level yet to create a ton of opportunities.

Are the Nuggets looking for a lengthy forward that is a great 3 point shooter that can occasionally cut to the basket and score? If that's the case I like his chances. If the Nuggets are looking for a power forward, a guard, or some other style of play then it might not pan out this year. I believe Rowdy has the talent to make it to the NBA, will the right opportunity present itself is more or less the question to whether or not he gets a chance at the NBA.

I wish him the best of luck and am rooting for him to make it to the NBA. It'll give me a reason to tune in to some games just to get an opportunity to watch him play. I for one can't stand the NBA and haven't watched a game in years but if Rowdy makes it; I'll at least pay attention to him and what he does. As I do with both Norris Cole and Ray McCallum.

valpopal

Congrats to Erik Buggs, who just signed to play in Chile!

[tweet]621029629885853696[/tweet]

valpotx

Good to see that he is getting to see the world playing a game he enjoys. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: agibson on June 30, 2015, 03:43:56 PM
Did anyone follow his contract situation at Besiktas? It seems like, last I saw, his social media fans were encouraging him to re-sign.  Was that around the time of his All-Star appearance?

To answer my own question, I saw some info recently.  He did resign with Besiktas, not sure on length or salary, but the source (Australian blog maybe? or maybe it's the podcast I'll mention in a minute) did mention that it had exit clauses for the NBA or for a certain kind of higher level European club (maybe playing in the top level of European competition? or top two levels? Since Besiktas missed the playoffs, maybe they won't be playing in Europe at all next year).

I did also finally get around to listening to the ~30 minute interview with Rowdy on the "Believe the Hype" podcast.  The audio quality was poor, at least the way I was interfacing my iPod with my car speakers.  But, great to hear him, and a fun, informative piece.

Best of luck to him this summer with Denver, and the Boomers (they play... olympic qualifiers?... at least some game with New Zealand, with Rowdy likely to start with Ingles out.. before Turkey's season begins?).

wh

Jamieson Welsh catches up with Ryan Broekhoff to chat about his Summer League experiences

https://soundcloud.com/believethehypenba/bthype-catches-up-with-ryan-broekhoff