• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Men's Basketball Scholarship Grid - Updated 5/13/13

Started by MattCarter, March 27, 2012, 11:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo04

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 02, 2012, 03:55:25 PM
I uploaded a jpeg of the eligibility chart now that the dance card is full for next year...thoughts about making it editable?

and welcome Alex Rossi!

Can you produce that on Google Docs?  Would make sharing with Matt pretty easy. 

I'd prefer to only have one blog post with the chart, so if you both don't mind, I will put your's on the same post as Matt's.

LaPorteAveApostle

Done...not as easy as they could have made it, but at least it's done.

Should I get both your emails so as to make you co-editors?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo04

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 02, 2012, 09:14:00 PM
Done...not as easy as they could have made it, but at least it's done.

Should I get both your emails so as to make you co-editors?

I don't need to be one... you and Matt can do it.

Thanks!

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 02, 2012, 03:55:25 PMthoughts about making it editable?

Less transfers. Sometimes it doesn't "taste" well when guys we know for two years get "forced" out. It is a lesson on working towards a goal and the consequences of not really working. 

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Just a slight tweek--Rossi's color for 2012-13 should be brown (junior) since he has been granted eligibility by the NCAA for that season.

LaPorteAveApostle

has that in fact happened? It has been rumored but so far unsubstantiated.  Link please...

vufan75

Quote from: bbtds on May 10, 2012, 03:06:47 AM
Just a slight tweek--Rossi's color for 2012-13 should be brown (junior) since he has been granted eligibility by the NCAA for that season.

Is Alex Rossi eligible to play for Valpo next season? When did the NCAA grant him eligibility? I know he applied for some form of hardship eligibility based on medical issues in his family, but I didn't know his petition was successful. I hope it is true, that he stays healthy, and contributes to the next couple season's success at Valpo! 

bbtds

Maybe I'm confused myself but doesn't Rossi get to play in December 2012 even if his hardship waiver is not granted? I may have him confused with another recruit.

RS

Think you are getting Rossi confused with Dority (from S. Florida). Rossi played 1 year (3 games) at Cal and redshirted due to an injury one year. Rossi is hoping to be able to play right away because of hardship and have 3 years of eligibility.

LaPorteAveApostle

With the good news of Rossi's immediate eligibility, the scholarship grid has been updated!

sliman

Does the scholarship grid need to be updated to show Capobianco on the 2013-14 list or am I overlooking it?

LaPorteAveApostle

LaPorteAveApostle

I know this says updated last May, but it is up-to-date:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlQ2tPhus3WCdElfelJobS1BOXVfU09YU19UbENmdWc#gid=0

and here is one for the women!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlQ2tPhus3WCdDZ2VW1nNkYzdmVzbVJGYk1OZTYwTkE#gid=0

(tempted to put that famous line from Blazing Saddles with the above link but people might would take that the wrong way.  it's just funny.)

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

...is that some kind of test?  putting a walk-on into a scholarship grid?

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on August 19, 2014, 04:15:03 PM...is that some kind of test?  putting a walk-on into a scholarship grid?

I realize the need for a scholarship chart is to keep track of the numbers and when scholarships become available. Maybe as a footnote walk-ons should be included with an asterick or something. With their NBA or famous fathers paying their way some walk-ons are just as valuable as some scholarship players.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

My bet is that he may be a "grayshirt", meaning he'll redshirt but pay his own way, then when there's a scholly available (i.e. next year when we don't have any commits) he'd get one.

then i'll put him in?

sliman

Can someone update the women's scholarship grid (and perhaps create a separate thread for it)?  It appears to be significantly out of date.

LaPorteAveApostle

Sorry...stopped caring, i guess. 

thanks--updated it for the first time in like 16 months, but if anyone wants to take it over, i'd be happy to hand it off.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlQ2tPhus3WCdDZ2VW1nNkYzdmVzbVJGYk1OZTYwTkE#gid=0

Noticed that Dani Franklin is from my cousin's alma mater (Cedar Rapids Wash).  He started at OG on the team that came in runner-up in the IA biggest class.  Half a dozen of his teammates went on to play D1 FBS, headlined by Michigan's Adrian Arrington.  Tried to talk him (my cousin, not adrian) into coming to VU.  alas.

In other news, Haylee (TH) is from Hailey (ID).

Finally, Tanner Kuramata is pretty lucky.

mj

This is probably something I should know but is this Vashil's final season of eligibility? I know he sat out his freshman year but did he redshirt? If it's his final year, why did his freshman year count against him if he didn't play?
I believe that we will win.

vu72

Quote from: mj on November 03, 2014, 11:04:29 AM
This is probably something I should know but is this Vashil's final season of eligibility? I know he sat out his freshman year but did he redshirt? If it's his final year, why did his freshman year count against him if he didn't play?

Yes it is his last year.  Don't think he ever redshirted.  He is listed on the roster for 2011-2012, his freshman year.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

wh

I have always found it hard to understand how VF used up a year of eligibility in a year he was held out awaiting the NCAA to declare him eligible. The only thing I can think of is the NCAA declared him to be a sophomore in terms of eligibility from the get-go (like they did KVW). And, if the season had already started by the time the decision was made, valpo may have been given the option of holding him out for the rest of that first season and start his 3 years of eligibility the following year. Just a guess.

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 13, 2013, 05:28:56 PM
I know this says updated last May, but it is up-to-date:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlQ2tPhus3WCdElfelJobS1BOXVfU09YU19UbENmdWc#gid=0

and here is one for the women!

(tempted to put that famous line from Blazing Saddles with the above link but people might would take that the wrong way.  it's just funny.)
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 03, 2014, 10:57:58 AM
Sorry...stopped caring, i guess. 

thanks--updated it for the first time in like 16 months, but if anyone wants to take it over, i'd be happy to hand it off.

Noticed that Dani Franklin is from my cousin's alma mater (Cedar Rapids Wash).  He started at OG on the team that came in runner-up in the IA biggest class.  Half a dozen of his teammates went on to play D1 FBS, headlined by Michigan's Adrian Arrington.  Tried to talk him (my cousin, not adrian) into coming to VU.  alas.

In other news, Haylee (TH) is from Hailey (ID).

Finally, Tanner Kuramata is pretty lucky.
I could not open these links.  Do we have these spreadsheets posted elsewhere?

Thanks