• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

What will the NCAA do?

Started by IndyValpo, March 17, 2017, 08:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyValpo

Keith Carter played in 3 games and 39 minutes for a coach he did not expect to play for due to a death of the previous coach.  The NCAA would not give him an additional year.

Joey Brunk played in 7 games for 49 minutes for Butler this year.  His father had brain surgery late last year.  Butler has requested a redshirt year.

Personally I have no problem granting the redshirt despite my dislike of Butler.  Given the Carter situation you would think it will be denied.  I would be willing to bet he gets the redshirt. 

Good thing for Brunk he did not choose Valpo.

FWalum

Not about Basketball but an interesting article showing just how convoluted these NCAA decisions can be. I think the NCAA has WAY too much power. I am getting really tired of hearing how they are doing things for the student-athlete when in cases where they actually should be helping a student, that had a difficult situation, only wants to look at things from a legalistic perspective. Any right minded semi empathetic person would have looked at Carter's situation and realized the young man had not been allowed by circumstance to complete his years of eligibility and then would have allowed him to play an actual fourth year. Why isn't an academically responsible institution (I think we have proven ourselves to be a respected institution that has not had many, if any, previous academic infractions unlike many other NCAA schools) such as VU allowed to determine the punishment for an academic situation (if that is truly what it was) as such appeared to happen with Jubril? Does the NCAA now determine VU's academic standards????

QuoteKeaton Weisz wants to play baseball. His new school, Coastal Carolina, wants him to play baseball — right away. His old school, Auburn, wrote a letter supporting the argument that Weisz should be eligible to play — right away. A judge in Weisz's native San Diego issued a temporary restraining order last week that ruled Weisz immediately eligible to play.

And yet opening weekend came and went, and Weisz wasn't allowed to get on the field.

NCAA Fights To Keep Weisz Off Field
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

justducky

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 17, 2017, 08:37:37 AMKeith Carter played in 3 games and 39 minutes for a coach he did not expect to play for due to a death of the previous coach.  The NCAA would not give him an additional year.

Joey Brunk played in 7 games for 49 minutes for Butler this year.  His father had brain surgery late last year.  Butler has requested a redshirt year.
Based on zero inside information I will lay a 70% probability that the Brunk redshirt request will be approved. If this is the outcome, I will lay an 85% probability that I will come unglued at the seams.  :o

EddieCabot

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 17, 2017, 08:37:37 AM
Keith Carter played in 3 games and 39 minutes for a coach he did not expect to play for due to a death of the previous coach.  The NCAA would not give him an additional year.

Personally I have no problem granting the redshirt despite my dislike of Butler.  Given the Carter situation you would think it will be denied.  I would be willing to bet he gets the redshirt. 

It's clear the NCAA has an agenda ... Valpo crashed the Power 5 party back in '98 and the NCAA has been doing everything possible to keep them down since then.  Wish the VU administration would call them out on it, but that doesn't appear to be the Valpo Way.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: EddieCabot on March 17, 2017, 09:55:18 PM

It's clear the NCAA has an agenda ... Valpo crashed the Power 5 party back in '98 and the NCAA has been doing everything possible to keep them down since then.  Wish the VU administration would call them out on it, but that doesn't appear to be the Valpo Way.

Couldn't disagree with this more.   Conspiracy theories distinctly against VU are a joke.  It's against ALL Mid majors because money and butts in the seats are what they are after.  TV ratings with a pinch of Mid Major is their recipe, it's nothing to do with VU only.  Heck, VU and schools like it are the life blood of the Cinderella stories that ARE March Madness.  We ARE NOT UNIQUE.

They just don't want Mid Major vs Mid Major etc. P6 have huge alumni base and therefore money...I cannot see it reaching beyond that.

valpo64

I've said it before,  let the P-5 people do their own thing in football, basketball, etc. and organize the mid-majors into their own division and National tournaments.  Just watch and see how the P-5 schools will keep increasing the "extra"  money for the student athlete to meet "extra" expenses.  It wont be long and the smaller schools will not be able to compete with the P-5 dollars.

valpo64

I wonder how long the NCAA will take to give Butler an answer on their request.

zvillehaze

Joey's dad, Joe, passed away late last week.  I played against Joe in leagues around Indy for several years ... he was a great guy and dad who's gone way too soon.

You guys here can turn this into yet another Valpo vs Butler argument, but I'm not participating.  I'm just glad Joey took time away from the team to spend as much time as possible with his dad before he died.  Whether Joey is granted a redshirt year is totally irrelevant to me at this point, and probably the last thing on Joey's mind as he prepares for his father's memorial service tomorrow. 

IndyValpo

As I expected Brunk was given his redshirt year as he should have been....

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/butler/2017/12/06/butlers-joey-brunk-granted-additional-season-ncaa/926226001/