• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Softball 2011

Started by okinawatyphoon, March 26, 2011, 07:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoDad

Quote from: 746 on May 03, 2011, 08:45:19 PM
Quote from: ValpoDad on April 04, 2011, 06:31:35 AM
The current freshman are reaping the benefits of not having Randy around.  He never saw a swing he couldn't tinker with.

Randy Schneider broke pretty much every hitting record ever recorded at Valpo.

During Randy's seven seasons as head coach, Valpo played 359 games.  The most games played during any seven year stretch previous to his tenure is 305 games.  His players averaged 51 games played during a season compared to 43 games for players before his arrival.  Also remember that recruiting was almost nonexistent before Randy was hired as the first full time head coach.

Longer seasons, softer schedules and the ability to spend time to recruit --- hitting records were going to fall no matter who was the coach. 

I will give Randy his credit due on the running game.  He loved to steal bases and they were very good at it.

oldcrusaderfan

Drop the Randy stuff please. He played a soft schedule, one that did not prepare the team for the conference schedule. The team is seeing the effects of this poor schedule even today in the inability to win close games. He cared only about what he could put on his resume and did not hide the fact that he was always looking for his next job from the day he came to Valpo. 

ValpoDad

Quote from: oldcrusaderfan on May 04, 2011, 12:02:14 PM
............. and did not hide the fact that he was always looking for his next job from the day he came to Valpo. 

A few years ago on  ultimatecollegesoftball .com his name was mentioned during talk of job openings at the time.  I posted a response that included my thoughts that Valpo was just a rung on the ladder for Randy and I didn't think he would be there very much longer.  The next day Whitney calls to tell me he was furious.  I had to laugh.   He was gone two seasons later.

Here's my question: Did someone donate a large sum of money to the softball program this season?   They flew to Florida instead of riding a bus 20+ hours.  They got both travel outfits and practice sweats.  They received more meal money per meal than previous players would get for a whole weekend.  Hell, I remember toward the end of the season a couple of years ago, they were given a couple of loaves bread and a jar of peanut butter and told to make it thru the weekend.  Did the new coach bring an influx of new money?  Or did......... well, you get it.

vu72

and, they got chairback seating plus other improvements to the field.  By the way, what does anyone think of the new digs??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

We have a team that is first in the Horizon League and all anyone wants to do is either praise or bash the old coach??? Doesn't anyone have anything to say about this years team?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

covufan

Quote from: FWalum on May 05, 2011, 08:07:42 AM
We have a team that is first in the Horizon League and all anyone wants to do is either praise or bash the old coach??? Doesn't anyone have anything to say about this years team?

Congrats to the softball team for being in first place of the HL!!!

new2ff

FWalum-well said ! Sounds like someone has hard feelings, lets move on.
Go get them this weekend ladies and good luck in tourney.

boomdad

Congrats and good luck this weekend Ladies, get it done

valpotx

Nice sweep of CSU today to take second place on the year.  Good job!
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

I think it is a remarkable finish for the softball team.  Bad weather concelled many games and took the chance of our first conference championship away from Jordan Stevens team.  We have only finished 2nd one other time so the team is definitely moving in the right direction.  don't bet against our gals in the conference tourney!  I see the NCAAs on the horizon!!!(no pun intended!)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

KL31NY

Was anyone at yesterday's games that could tell me what happened? A friend of mine showed me this tweet from Tess Sito, CSU's No. 1:

Valpo people have the least class ever, hope we **** em up in tournaments

Regardless of how relevant that tweet might be, I do hope we get to see her and the Vikings again come tournament time. Make it a solid 3-of-3 against 'em!
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

boomdad

Sounds like someone has a case of the bitters.......... Congrats Ladies on a job well done

valpotx

Isn't that their pitcher?  She has about 240+ innings, and may just be bitter that she was swept.
"Don't mess with Texas"

KL31NY

Yeah, she's their new lead pitcher w/ 3-time conference hurler of the year Amanda Macenko gone. Plus, I'd be bitter too if I had gone from first to fourth on the final day of the season.

BTW, she has since deleted the tweet mentioned earlier. Shocker!  ;D
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."

boomdad

Emotions run high, shes a very competitive athlete, and probably her own worst critic and considers their loss her fault..... So Bitter is probably an understatement. Although lashing out on tweet and face book is a huge no no in prep ball, I would think it is less thought of at the college level.

valpotx

Yeah, that adrenaline at that age can cause some stupid things as we all know lol.  Congrats to the team for 7 all-league honorees!!  Now, get us our first Horizon League championship, and our first NCAA bid since joining the conference!
"Don't mess with Texas"

boomdad

1st team all conference
Rutkowski
Strickland

2nd team
Boldt
Conner
Lagesse

All newcomer team
Doerffler
Wisniewski

When that many kids from one team get that many awards you know its been a good season. Nice job ladies

KL31NY

Quote from: KL31NY on May 09, 2011, 10:12:06 AM
Was anyone at yesterday's games that could tell me what happened? A friend of mine showed me this tweet from Tess Sito, CSU's No. 1:

Regardless of how relevant that tweet might be, I do hope we get to see her and the Vikings again come tournament time. Make it a solid 3-of-3 against 'em!

Although I feel awkward quoting my own post, I did want to bring this back. Valpo defeated CSU 2-1 earlier today. A KC Boldt home run was the difference, and it also gives KC the current single-season home run record at 11 dingers. Congrats to all!

Valpo will play Butler in less than half an hour, with links to live video and live chat on valpoathletics.com. The winner will have to beat UIC twice on Saturday to win the Horizon League Championship.

agibson

Looks like we led 3-2 in the middle of the fifth, before losing to Butler in the semi-final 5-4.

new2ff

I see Valpo lost a basketball asst. coach, did we lose a softball asst.?

KL31NY

Quote from: new2ff on June 16, 2011, 08:43:25 PM
I see Valpo lost a basketball asst. coach, did we lose a softball asst.?

Not that I'm aware of. Rachel's playing NPF right now, but as I check the website, she's been taken off this year and last year's roster pages. Don't know what to make of it.

On another note, I'll miss Coach Smith from the WBB team. Great person to know.

dcvalpo

Quote from: KL31NY on May 13, 2011, 03:34:25 PM
Quote from: KL31NY on May 09, 2011, 10:12:06 AM

Although I feel awkward quoting my own post, I did want to bring this back. Valpo defeated CSU 2-1 earlier today. A KC Boldt home run was the difference, and it also gives KC the current single-season home run record at 11 dingers. Congrats to all!

Valpo will play Butler in less than half an hour, with links to live video and live chat on valpoathletics.com. The winner will have to beat UIC twice on Saturday to win the Horizon League Championship.

If this isn't the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is

boomdad

CSU Pitcher Tess Sito transfers to Ga. Wonder how that will change the dynamics of next season for the Horizon League?

http://www.news-spider.com/comments/1307746611

valpo84

Tess Sito was a pretty good player in HS having watched her pitch in 2 State Finals. She seems to want to challenge herself at the next level. Guess she is a bit like BWood. ;)

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2011/06/11/college-softball-elyrias-tess-sito-picks-georgia-to-finish-college-career/
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

new2ff

Sito...stat...Strickland
.361...BA....378
.542...SP....533
.398...OBA..441
  32..RUNS..37
  60..HITS..68
  11...2B....16
  90...TB....96
  18...SB....14

Sure Sito was a pitcher as well, yet Strickland had 1000 FP% & a number of assists. Maybe she will get her due this year.

Do you think she will pitch for the Dawgs or play middle infield? If she pitches,lets remember Valpo beat her 3 x.