• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU Record Watch

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, November 24, 2012, 09:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

As a kid, I loved keeping a scorebook at the games I went to...and I started keeping track of the star, Jim Ford, and his progress up the all-time ranks at that time.  Later on I kept diligent track of my friend Jeanette Gray as she "Bolened" the women's book.

So I thought it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to our favorite players as they crusade up the all-time charts.

Tonight, as of the Bethune-Cookman game:

--Ryan Broekhoff has passed the great Jim Ford for rebounds and now sits 11th all time with 644, just 3 behind the immortal Harry Bell and the top 10.  It is plausible that Ryan could end his career 3rd all-time, behind the underappreciated Chris Ensminger and all-timer Raitis Grafs.

--As for points, he's just 6 shy of hair-timer Urule Igbavboa and the top 20.  It's easy to see him ending up 6th, just ahead of seminal figure Bruce Lindner but behind Grafs and the Top 5--although, after tonight's 30 points on 11 shots, anyone care to bet against him going higher? 

--In 3-pointers, in the first 5 games he shot (pun intended) from 7th to 3rd!  He now has 182.  He could pass the criminally-underrated Lubos Barton (244) for 2nd by averaging 2 per game the rest of the season, but he will never catch his coach.

--He's moved into 7th in blocks; notched his 101st steal tonight (might crack top 10). Could make top 20 for assists.

--On the heels of his 11 for 11 night from the line, let's take a moment to appreciate:  he's 29-30 on the year, or 96.7%, Rob Cavanaugh territory!  Last year was his previous best, but he didn't even crack 80% then...

...As for his cohorts, not as much to say, but:

--The indefatigable Erik Buggs is 2 behind Mr. Cavanaugh for 9th on the assist list; he very well could end up 4th all time.  I mean, it's early to assume he'll play all the games to get there, but would anyone care to imagine something keeping that man out of a game?  Thus,

--It would only be fitting, but if we play a couple postseason games, Erik will hit the previously unfathomable number of 140 games, 7 more than current record-holder Howard Little.  For the record, he's 2 games played ahead of Ryan. 

--On the subject of improved fundamentals, he has gone from 43% FT freshman to 33% soph to 52% junior to 75% FT (12-16) so far!  Way to be.  And he should get credit for one of those misses, since if he doesn't, we lose that game.

--Matt Kenney has passed Fort-Wayne's-Finest, Ron Howard, for 17th on the all-time assist mark.  He has an outside shot pass at knocking the immortal Tracy Gipson and still-out-of-eligibility-unfortunately Brandon MacPherson out of the top ten (!).  He's 7 GP behind Buggs (5 behind Ryan).

(Any help and thoughts would be appreciated on this!)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

I don't think Lubos is underrated at all.  He was a plain stud for us in many ways!  My favorite player, right up there with Raitis.  If Lubos didn't get hurt during the NBA camp with Cleveland, he would have made a roster.  He has been a stud in the top European leagues, and has been the best player on the Czech national team since college, even above Jiri Welsch who was playing in the NBA several years ago.
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

tex, that's your takeaway from everything above? :/

look, i don't want to hijack my own thread, but i feel he's always forgotten about when people talk about the greats.  Like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar--an amazing player, but when was the last time you heard him put forth as a candidate for the Best Ever?

I think Lubos is underrated because people always expected more from him--it was an awkward era for the team in the shadow of '98, and sometimes awkward for him in the shadow of Grafs or Stovall at times, even.  Etc., etc.

But back to the all-time greats!  Not all-time grates.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

HC

Love the post, looking forward to updates after each game!
Buggs is shooting free throws real well and looks comfortable doing it. I'd much rather see him toe the line then Kenney or Vashil or Capo

valpotx

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 24, 2012, 10:03:34 PM
tex, that's your takeaway from everything above? :/

look, i don't want to hijack my own thread, but i feel he's always forgotten about when people talk about the greats.  Like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar--an amazing player, but when was the last time you heard him put forth as a candidate for the Best Ever?

I think Lubos is underrated because people always expected more from him--it was an awkward era for the team in the shadow of '98, and sometimes awkward for him in the shadow of Grafs or Stovall at times, even.  Etc., etc.

But back to the all-time greats!  Not all-time grates.

Since I like seeing where current players are record-wise versus past players, I didn't feel I needed to comment on anything in that area since it was already listed.  I am glad someone is keeping up with some of these stats as the season progresses, but still felt the need to mention that there is at least one person who thought Lubos was a great player for us against any past player  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Like valpotx, Lubos was the first player with a name at Valpo that I really got attached to. I didn't get to see Bryce play, so I didn't get to see one of the greats, but I saw Lubos, who is up there, or at least the shooting guard on the 2nd team, as one of the Greatest Valparaiso Crusaders of All-Time.

covufan

Thanks for the good info.  Lubos gave the program a much needed lift, especially after most of the '98 team graduated.  He was a team player, not necessarily looking for his shot or points. 

bbtds

I will always remember the night of the draft just after Lubos graduated that Quinn Snyder, then coach at Mizzou, was one of the commentators. He was asked which player he was most surprised by his not getting drafted and he instantly said Lubos Barton of Valparaiso.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: covufan on November 26, 2012, 12:02:26 PMLubos gave the program a much needed lift, especially after most of the '98 team graduated.  He was a team player, not necessarily looking for his shot or points.

And I think that's part of why he is underrated.  He played that European style (i.e. not seeking to be on SportsCenter) and many people--myself included--wanted to give him the Vince Vaughn peptalk from Swingers--the one about the bunny and you've got the claws... Not a "fill-the-stat-sheet" guy, though he accumulated quite a few before he was done, but a subtler style...more ninja when people wanted a BEAR with BIG CLAWS to just TEAR THE BUNNY APART.  He could, but it wasn't his style, any more than being Vince Vaughn was Jon Favreau's style.

Lubos BEARTON.  (warning:  I counted at least 7 f-bombs in the embedded: )

You're Like a Big Bear - Swingers (6/12) Movie CLIP (1996) HD

bbtds

Here's the tie in with Valpo football. In the movie "Rudy" Vince Vaughn played ND 3rd string-prep squad quarterback Jamie O'Hara.

And both suck!

Hey Did You Know That Vince Vaughn Was In Rudy

valpotx

Thought this link may be helpful when referencing records.  Since we were throwing out talk of Rowdy's first half against BCU, it does look like BWood holds the D-1 record of 39 against Georgia Southern.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/media/basketball-men/Media%20Guide%20Info/Record%20Book.pdf
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Along with those mentioned, it seems like there a number of other categories where we have at least a half-reasonable chance of capping off career-marks this year.

Broekhoff has a shot at top-20 assists, top-10 steals, top-10 for 3P%, maybe top-10 FT's, maybe top-10 FT% (you don't have to crack 80%, in fact - Gipson's 10th at 78.8%).

Kenney's got a shot at top-10 steals, and, would you believe, top-10 blocks?

Buggs has a fair shot at top-10 steals.

Van Wijk actually has a chance at top-10 FT's made, in only three years.

It's very early, of course, but it's not too hard to imagine Ferandez in the top-10 list for blocks.

agibson

Oh, and if he stopped today, Will Bogan would finish 7th on the career 3PT% chart - at 41.4%.  He has to keep making them, of course.

This was always a feature I loved in the game notes.  Is it absent entirely this year?

valpotx

If Antti can be 6th in blocks with his limited minutes over his career (around 10/game), I am sure Vashil will finish much higher up.  The blocks category seems like the most wide open, as we have only had really 3-4 prolific shot blockers to play long enough to get a decent amount.  I doubt Raitis' number will ever be touched, but second and third are up for grabs if we get someone good at positioning and timing.
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: agibson on November 28, 2012, 02:35:20 PMBroekhoff has a shot at top-20 assists, top-10 steals, top-10 for 3P%, maybe top-10 FT's, maybe top-10 FT% (you don't have to crack 80%, in fact - Gipson's 10th at 78.8%).

oh gibson ;)
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 24, 2012, 09:44:35 PM--He's moved into 7th in blocks; notched his 101st steal tonight (might crack top 10). Could make top 20 for assists.

setshot

Saw Lubos play against UNC-Charlotte some years ago at Charlotte. We came back from a half time deficit to WIN the game. Ratis was terrific,Lubos,so so. I always thought Lubos was over rated,but he was the " beast from the least" (Mid-Con.) When Lubos faced good competition he all but disappeared (Prince of KY., in the first round of the NCAA's,completely shut Lubos down). Hell, IMO,Lubos would never have made it in the NBA. Never!

agibson

Ah!  Sorry, clearly working too fast.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: setshot on November 29, 2012, 11:56:19 AMWhen Lubos faced good competition he all but disappeared (Prince of KY., in the first round of the NCAA's,completely shut Lubos down).

Tayshaun is an NBA champion, a gold-medal Olympian, 4-time All-Defensive 2nd team, etc.  He shuts everybody down.

Ask Kobe.

LaPorteAveApostle

Weekly update, though with heavier heart this week, obv:

Broekhoff
Pointsnow #20!
17.  Lance "the face mask" Barker 1,196
18. Scott "the knee brace" Anselm 1,195
19. Vern Curtis 1,190
20. RB 1,186

Rebounds: now #10!
9.  Daryl Ashby 662
10.  RB 651

3-pointers:
2. Lubos Barton 244
3. RB 183

Blocked Shots:
6.  Antti Nikkila 84
7.  RB 76

Steals:
10. Tracy Gipson 138
RB 104

FT%, career:
6.  Rob Cavanaugh 82.5%
7.  RB 80.2%

FT%, Single-season (min. 75 att):
RB 93.8%
1. Casey Schmidt 93/94, 92.6%

Buggs; Kenney
Assists: EB now #9!
8. Jamie Sykes 359
9. EB 331
16. Greg Tonagel 280
17. MK 253
20.  Mike Jones 217
RB 180

[EXCURSUS:  I swear they used to keep track of fouls--anyone else remember?  Jim Stueve was rackin' 'em up in the '80s, if I remember correctly.  Today was Buggs' TWENTIETH foul-out of his career; he has 319 fouls for his career, roughly 2.87 a game, or 4.79/40!!!.  Definitely the shortest guy on the list...if anyone knows where VU/SID is keeping it these days...]

Bogan
3-pt %, career:
8. Mike Jones 40.9%
9.  WB 40.8%

HC

Your, or somebody's, rebounding numbers aren't quite right.

Rebounds: now #10!
9.  Daryl Ashby 662
10.  RB 751

Rowdy is up nearly 90 on 9th place according to this.

LaPorteAveApostle

What makes more sense to you: that he grabbed 107 rebounds in the past week, or I hit a 7 when it's next to a 6?

vuweathernerd

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 02, 2012, 10:08:03 PM
What makes more sense to you: that he grabbed 107 rebounds in the past week, or I hit a 7 when it's next to a 6?

definitely that he had 107 boards last week. :)

LaPorteAveApostle

dude.  i wish.

then you could lift my arms and I'd go WHOOSHIN' into space.

LaPorteAveApostle

Broekhoff
16.  Daryl Ashby 1,247
17. RB 1,231

Rebounds: now #8!
8.  Jeff Simmons 681
9.  RB 667

3-pointers:
2. Lubos Barton 244
3. RB 192

Blocked Shots:
6.  Antti Nikkila 84
7.  RB 76

Steals:
10. Tracy Gipson 138
RB 108

FT%, career:
6.  Rob Cavanaugh 82.5%
7.  RB 230/286 80.4%

FT%, Single-season (min. 75 att):
1.   Casey Schmidt '93/94, 92.6%
   RB 36 for 39 92.3%

Buggs; Kenney
Assists:
8. Jamie Sykes 359
9. EB 340
16. Greg Tonagel 280
17. MK 257
20.  Mike Jones 217
RB 186

Bogan
3-pt %, career:
8. Mike Jones 40.9%
9.  WB 73/180 40.6%

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 02, 2012, 08:30:46 PM[EXCURSUS:  I swear they used to keep track of fouls--anyone else remember?  Jim Stueve was rackin' 'em up in the '80s, if I remember correctly.  Today was Buggs' TWENTIETH foul-out of his career; he has 319 fouls for his career, roughly 2.87 a game, or 4.79/40!!!.  Definitely the shortest guy on the list...if anyone knows where VU/SID is keeping it these days...]
Surely Stueve averaged near 4 fouls per game, at least in the years I remember!  He had to be over 5 per 40 minutes!