• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

"Homer Drew Court"

Started by valpo04, February 09, 2015, 07:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo04

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea and think it is well deserved.

BUT...

Does anyone else find it amusing (annoying?) that the athletic department had Homer sign "Court" with his signature?

I've seen courts all across the nation where they have the coach's signature with "Court" stamped under it or something similar. We have "Homer Drew Court" as a signature, and then "Homer Drew Court" printed under it.

Seems bizzare to have him sign it as if his name is Homer Drew Court.

a3uge

Quote from: valpo04 on February 09, 2015, 07:41:31 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love the idea and think it is well deserved.

BUT...

Does anyone else find it amusing (annoying?) that the athletic department had Homer sign "Court" with his signature?

I've seen courts all across the nation where they have the coach's signature with "Court" stamped under it or something similar. We have "Homer Drew Court" as a signature, and then "Homer Drew Court" printed under it.

Seems bizzare to have him sign it as if his name is Homer Drew Court.

It didn't bug me before you pointed it out. Thanks a lot.

vu84v2

Perhaps they asked and the Drew family declined to do this, but I think that "Homer and Janet Drew Court" would have been even a little better.  Alternatively, it could have been the "Drew Family Court". While Homer is very deserving of any recognition like this, the family recognized as a whole would have been even better.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on February 09, 2015, 07:46:00 AMIt didn't bug me before you pointed it out. Thanks a lot.
second the motion.  gah.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VULB#62

How many wins does Coach Court have?

LaPorteAveApostle

I've been thinking about this, and I think the reason they added the "Drew" in the middle was so that people wouldn't get it confused with old Homer Court (between Lincolnway and LaPorte Ave).
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 09, 2015, 08:47:13 AM
Quote from: a3uge on February 09, 2015, 07:46:00 AMIt didn't bug me before you pointed it out. Thanks a lot.
second the motion.  gah.

Ignorance of the gaff is no excuse for not being embarrassed!

No, I'm not embarrassed. I didn't even realize we left the first letter off the last name on your husband's tombstone, Mrs. Scremated.

valpotx

Why would you point something like this out?  That is going to bug me every game now...
"Don't mess with Texas"

gamelord

lol I actually like the way it looks. On the other hand I still prefer the older mascot.

FWalum

I don't know what the big fuss is about.  I have no problem with it.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

okinawatyphoon

I realized that I did notice this a few years ago but didn't think to mention it because I thought I was the only one who noticed such things. I too think the word "Court" should be in a different font because yeah, it does look like "Coach Court", not "Coach Homer Drew."
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

valpo04

Could the signed "Court" be gone? It seems so! 

:thewave:

[tweet]610443515936514048[/tweet]

usc4valpo

Perhaps a portion of the ARC named after Rob Harden should be in place...  :)

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on June 15, 2015, 09:57:48 AM

Since he never played in the ARC, I'd say leave the middle finger salute in the practice court in Hilltop.

valpospartan

Quote from: covufan on June 15, 2015, 02:17:35 PM

Since he never played in the ARC, I'd say leave the middle finger salute in the practice court in Hilltop.

Au Contraire mon ami - Rob did so play ion the ARC.

zvillehaze

Quote from: valpospartan on June 15, 2015, 09:34:31 PM

From my recollection, Rob was with Valpo during part of the '83-'84 season ... ARC opened in '84-'85 season.  Correct?

VULB#62

Yep.  Dedicated in December 1984.  Opposition:  Notre Dame.  Keynote speaker:  George Orwell.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on June 15, 2015, 09:45:06 PM
Yep.  Dedicated in December 1984.  Opposition:  Notre Dame.  Keynote speaker:  George Orwell.
I remember Orwell's speech. He was saying how much his "big brother" watched over him when he was growing up.

covufan

Quote from: valpospartan on June 15, 2015, 09:34:31 PM

He may have played a pickup game on that floor, but never while in a Valpo uniform in an NCAA game. 

wh

Quote from: valpo04 on June 15, 2015, 08:53:42 AM
Could the signed "Court" be gone? It seems so! 

:thewave:

[tweet]610443515936514048[/tweet]

Saw it in person today. The cursive "Court" is gone, but the floor is all discolored where it was, kind of like a very visible eraser mark.  Plus, the cursive Homer Drew signature now looks more left justified than centered above the printed "Homer Drew Court."  It looks pretty amatuerish, if it's in fact "complete" as the tweet says. 

a3uge

Can we just pick one shade of gold?

usc4valpo

All the hype for a slow 5'10" guard was utterly insane. I remember a Torch article about his departure after the salute, mentioning all the pressure he was under and that fans should be blamed.

I think that incident was the downfall of coach Tom Smith and his exciting 9 minute stall strategy to win 35-33 over Woogie Boogie and stay out of the AMCU cellar.

Wow, how this team has excelled since then!