• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2015 Valpo Fan Zone Tourney Pick'em

Started by valpo04, March 16, 2015, 07:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo04

I was unable to modify last year's bracket so here is the link for this year's:
http://valpofanzone.mayhem.cbssports.com/e?ttag=BPM15_paste_cbsinv

Password is: GoValpo!

Let me know if you have any trouble signing up.

Good luck!  :thumbsup:

bbtds

Quote from: valpo04 on March 16, 2015, 07:23:26 AM

A password would help or did I completely miss you telling us the password?

valpo04

Quote from: bbtds on March 16, 2015, 07:26:28 AM
Quote from: valpo04 on March 16, 2015, 07:23:26 AM

A password would help or did I completely miss you telling us the password?

I thought the direct link would get you through, sorry about that, it is: GoValpo!

talksalot

I'm in... we'll see how that modified alphabetical selection thing works (If your team has the letter K you advance)...or has a point guard with a K in his last name.

historyman

Quote from: talksalot on March 16, 2015, 09:27:17 AMI'm in... we'll see how that modified alphabetical selection thing works (If your team has the letter K you advance)...or has a point guard with a K in his last name.

You would probably be just as successful picking teams that start with KE and end with KY and have 3 syllables.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpo04

Thanks to the 12 who have signed up so far.

Be sure to join today or tomorrow if you are interested!

covufan

T minus 5 hours until my bracket is officially busted!  Well, sometimes I might last until 5-6 PM of the first day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

covufan

Ouch!  We had three people that had Iowa St to the final game. 

Kyle321n

Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

talksalot

and who had GAState beating Baylor????   I did in my one bracket that was geographically based...Atlanta is closer to Valpo than Waco (689 to 1,062)!  Unfortunately, Iowa City is closer than Birmingham (394 to 630)... drat....

I wonder who had picked BOTH of those 14 seeds...?

Valpower

talksalot

I wonder if we'll see Scott in Columbus tomorrow?

oklahomamick

Scott will probably be laying low for awhile.  Ron Hunter has a little Kempe in him where he loves the camera.  He is a good coach and would love to see him take over WSU.  They would be a great fit. 
CRUSADERS!!!

historyman

Quote from: talksalot on March 19, 2015, 03:22:45 PMand who had GAState beating Baylor? ???   I did in my one bracket that was geographically based...Atlanta is closer to Valpo than Waco (689 to 1,062)!  Unfortunately, Iowa City is closer than Birmingham (394 to 630)... drat.... I wonder who had picked BOTH of those 14 seeds...?
What about Ames, IA where Iowa State is located? Is Ames closer to Valpo than Birmingham?

Iowa State Univ on google maps
  ;)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

usc4valpo

History repeats itself.  When Ron Hunter was at IUPUI, they beat Valpo in the Mid-Con championship at the last second. He went nuts and if my memory serves correct, ripped his pants. The coach for Valpo? - none other than Scott Drew.

oklahomamick

I thought he broke his foot stomping on the court too hard.
CRUSADERS!!!

usc4valpo

How do you not like this guy? He's nuts, he's passionate  and he seems to be a nice guy.

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 19, 2015, 05:59:54 PM
History repeats itself.  When Ron Hunter was at IUPUI, they beat Valpo in the Mid-Con championship at the last second. He went nuts and if my memory serves correct, ripped his pants. The coach for Valpo? - none other than Scott Drew.

He slid on the floor into the center circle at Kansas City's Kemper Arena after winning the 2002 Mid-Con tournament over Valpo (coached by Scott Drew). I don't remember him tearing his pants but that could have happened.

Later IUPUI gave away bobbleheads of a re-creation of Hunter on his knees sliding across the Kemper Arena floor. 

After Scott was coach at Baylor but was still under penalty due to the scandal at Baylor before Scott arrived, therefore not being in the Big 12 tournament, Scott was at the Mid-Con tournament (with Morehead). I specifically remember Ron Hunter shaking hands with Homer before the Valpo/IUPUI Mid-Con tournament game and Homer pointing out that Scott was in the crowd and Ron turning and laughing and pointing at Scott in our section. I was wondering what Hunter was laughing and pointing at and then seeing Scott sitting in the Valpo section. I remembered that so vividly when Scott and Ron shook hands today. The Drew/Hunter relationship takes another turn and I'm sure there very well could be more turns in that relationship in future NCAA tournaments.

bbtds

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 19, 2015, 07:14:12 PM
I thought he broke his foot stomping on the court too hard.

This happened at Valpo in the ARC I would say about 2000 during a regular Mid-Con conference game. I don't remember who won but if going by percentages it was most likely Valpo that won. He coached the rest of that game with a broken bone in his foot.

When Ron was living in Indy and coach at IUPUI he went to the same church as Colts coach Tony Dungy. It was evident that both Dungy and Hunter were extremely religious people and their attending the church probably doubled the size of the congregation.

usc4valpo

bbtds - thank you for sharing this. Great stuff.

oklahomamick

Great guy and coach.  Would love him in the HL improving some program. 
CRUSADERS!!!

govalpogo

*Ahem* Woot.  So when can I expect my million dollar check to arrive?