• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Daniel Relvao 6'9 Mountain Mission School, 2014-15 Sr highlights

Started by JDemp13, March 20, 2015, 12:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDemp13

I am a current law school student and coach at Mountain Mission School. I wanted to share Daniel's Senior year highlights with all the Valpo basketball fans. Daniel has less than 3 years basketball experience and the progress he has made since stepping on campus is amazing to say the least. He has a huge upside and just seems to get better everyday. Daniel is not only a talented and very coachable player, but he is also a great young man off the court and in the classroom. Valpo did a great job at landing this kid and I am now a fan of Valpo basketball (Except when you play WVU  ;D )

#14 Daniel Relvao 6'9 240 lb. (7'3 Wingspan) Class of 2015 PF/C Mountain Mission School, Grundy, Va. 2014-15 Senior Season Basketball Highlights Originally from Portugal.
*Side note* I have highlights for the majority of our kids on my youtube page. We have a very talented group of 2016 kids. MOST IMPORTANTLY take a couple minutes to check out Mountain Mission's website at the bottom. It is an amazing place that does amazing things for children from all over the world.

youtube.com/watch?v=OZiv2eOc3UE

Since 1921, God has brought more than 20,000 at-risk youth out of their distress and into the land of promise that is Grundy's Mountain Mission School.

We serve as home, church and school to more than 200 kids in need, coming to us not only from Appalachia, but also from more than 60 countries worldwide.

MMS provides each child with the foundation of first-rate academics, a loving family environment, positive social support, and a firm commitment to the gospel of Jesus Christ.

mmskids.org

Smj

Thanks so much for sharing. ...   I watched a couple clips of Daniel on YouTube and I (like other vu fans) look forward to watching him transition to the college game.

Valpower

I thank you, as well, and yet the timing of this has a painful "here's what you need to get over the hump" quality.

JDemp13

I'm sorry about the timing. I posted it earlier this morning, but it must have just been approved. That's why I couldn't  link the sites in the post as well.

LaPorteAveApostle

Naw, don't worry about it.  It was nice to have something positive after that, to me at least.

Thank you for being here and we hope to see more of you.

Do you think he'd benefit more from a redshirt or from playing immediately?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

JDemp13

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 20, 2015, 08:35:04 PM
Naw, don't worry about it.  It was nice to have something positive after that, to me at least.

Thank you for being here and we hope to see more of you.

Do you think he'd benefit more from a redshirt or from playing immediately?
Thanks for the warm welcome.
To be honest, if you would have asked me that last year my immediate answer would have been yes. However, the progress he has made in such a short period of time (with his limited experience) makes me excited to see just how good he will be when next season comes around.
I can't say enough about his character as well. I know you may think I'm exaggerating but I'm not. He is an outstanding young man.

LaPorteAveApostle

That I think is key, and why he's recruited in the first place.  We don't always get good guys, but we usually do; the few times we have reached for someone, it doesn't seem work out (shocking), and so it's good to hear.

I personally am always in favor of the redshirt, whenever it makes a bit of sense; since he is new to the sport, Daniel at 18-19 will be no comparison to where he will be at 23-24.  Same is true for everyone, not picking on him; but being a late 'convert' to roundball, a year should help him even more than most.

Plus we only lose Vashil in the front court while gaining Smits (while Hammink was listed as F by LSU we list him as G, a "perimeter player"), so that could be a wash.  Minutes down low might thus be hard to come by for a freshman.  If he redshirts, admittedly the logjam doesn't clear up much for a RS Fr, with Smits a soph and Adekoya, Peters seniors (eek put that thought back in the box), but it's better than getting Davidson/Chadwick minutes as a frosh.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: JDemp13 on March 20, 2015, 08:28:57 PMI posted it earlier this morning, but it must have just been approved.
We seem to put the board on lockdown this time of year for the yahoos that come and start dumb threads like  Y'AWL GOT THE BEAT DOWNE!  WOO GOOOO TERPS  SEE YA WOODEN WANNA BE YA etc.

Thankfully.

wh

Love the video! 6-9, 240, big frame, good post moves for someone with so little experience.  I can't wait to see him in a Valpo uniform!  Thanks for sharing!

In your opinion, does Mountain Mission have any quality 2016 candidates that might be a good fit for Valpo (serious question)?

VULB#62

I love the emphasis on his character and integrity. I abandon Valpo when Valpo forgets that so important quality.

justducky

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 20, 2015, 10:10:24 PMI love the emphasis on his character and integrity. I abandon Valpo when Valpo forgets that so important quality.
My transition from being an Indiana basketball fan to a VU fan went on for over 30 years. It is interesting to note that my final abandonment of IU interest coincided with their having a coach that had little or no understanding of what you just said.

Smj

I have said many times on here that I love our program BECAUSE it is not just about winning.    We have a great track record of recruiting kids that are good kids FIRST (basketball talent second.)   If we forget this - I would not want to support the team.   

I hope Daniel finds a lot of success at Valpo... 

JDemp13

Quote from: wh on March 20, 2015, 09:57:56 PM
Love the video! 6-9, 240, big frame, good post moves for someone with so little experience.  I can't wait to see him in a Valpo uniform!  Thanks for sharing!

In your opinion, does Mountain Mission have any quality 2016 candidates that might be a good fit for Valpo (serious question)?
We have been blessed with a great group of kids so there are no character issues preventing any of them from playing at Valpo. The kids that we have that are D1 prospects are: Baruti 6'5 SG, Mijakowski 6'7 SG/SF, Bender 6'10 F, and Thsisumpa 6'9 260 C. We have some younger kids that could potentially play D1, but those 4 are D1 recruits. You can watch their videos on my YouTube page.

vu84v2

JDemp13 - thanks for posting about Daniel Relvao. Obviously after yesterday, Valpo fans are both dissapointed and optimistic. If this kid has the ability to play meaningful minutes as a true freshman, I would hope that Valpo does not redshirt him. The difference between a good and a truly great Valpo team next year may well be getting 40 quality minutes next year at the 5 position. The 3.3 blocked shots per game in the FIBA U18 tournament is the most interesting info, but it is also very encouraging to hear how much he has developed in the last year.

On another mention in your post, I am curious about your following of WVU. While they play a very annoying brand of basketball (which could be the best chance of upsetting Kentucky), I would point out that there is really an inconsistency between emphasizing and valuing high character and Bob Huggins. From a character standpoint, Bob Huggins was a complete embarassment at Cincinnati for many years, though admittedly I have not heard anything terrible negative or positive regarding his time at Kansas State or WVU. Like many here, I do think that character is critical in college sports and welcome your thoughts. Furthermore, it is truly appreciated that you took the time to post about Daniel Relvao on this site.

JDemp13

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 21, 2015, 11:37:55 AM
JDemp13 - thanks for posting about Daniel Relvao. Obviously after yesterday, Valpo fans are both dissapointed and optimistic. If this kid has the ability to play meaningful minutes as a true freshman, I would hope that Valpo does not redshirt him. The difference between a good and a truly great Valpo team next year may well be getting 40 quality minutes next year at the 5 position. The 3.3 blocked shots per game in the FIBA U18 tournament is the most interesting info, but it is also very encouraging to hear how much he has developed in the last year.

On another mention in your post, I am curious about your following of WVU. While they play a very annoying brand of basketball (which could be the best chance of upsetting Kentucky), I would point out that there is really an inconsistency between emphasizing and valuing high character and Bob Huggins. From a character standpoint, Bob Huggins was a complete embarassment at Cincinnati for many years, though admittedly I have not heard anything terrible negative or positive regarding his time at Kansas State or WVU. Like many here, I do think that character is critical in college sports and welcome your thoughts. Furthermore, it is truly appreciated that you took the time to post about Daniel Relvao on this site.
Thanks for the compliments. To your first point I have no doubt that Valpo staff will make the right decision in terms of Daniel. Valpo has an excellent staff and I will not question either decision they make.
On your second topic, I am a WVU graduate (2007) and a native (and proud) WVian (only 2 D1 schools in the state). Growing up in a state with limited D1 programs and NO professional teams usually results in many citizen developing a fierce love the flagship school. That is what happened to me. Think of it this way...  Cincinnati has had great college basketball teams but they still don't have the love of the Reds. Pitt has had some great football and basketball teams but they are not the Steelers. Texas has great college athletics but they are not the Cowboys. WVU is all many WVians sports fans have to love and have pride in.

On a side note, I love WVU's team (defensively) this year. I was raised in a very small town (50 in a graduating class at a public school) and basketball was all the community had (no football team and baseball only had a handful of winning seasons in the 60 year lifespan of the school). The program was built on pressing, hard nose defense, and up tempo play. The results were dozens of state tournament appearances and a half a dozen state championships. It is tough for me to ever question a hall of fame coach's decisions concerning basketball so I do  not talk much about it.
Last, my love for WVU has no influence on the players I coach. We are an open recruiting school and if we ever had a player that was offered by WVU, I would advise him on what was best for him. My love for the kids I coach outweighs other things. For example, if WVU and Valpo ever meet while Daniel is there, I will hope Daniel gets 30, 15 and 6. Lol

vu84v2

JDemp13 - Thanks for the response. I'll keep the Big 12 discussion off this board to prevent boredom by everyone else.

Good point on the coaching staff. Specifically, it would seem like Roger Powell could be great at further developing Daniel. As a player and now a coach, Roger has been great at getting everything possible from his own and others' abilities. Furthermore, Roger is a class act.

JDemp13

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 21, 2015, 01:18:32 PM
JDemp13 - Thanks for the response. I'll keep the Big 12 discussion off this board to prevent boredom by everyone else.

Good point on the coaching staff. Specifically, it would seem like Roger Powell could be great at further developing Daniel. As a player and now a coach, Roger has been great at getting everything possible from his own and others' abilities. Furthermore, Roger is a class act.

I agree.
Even though Mountain Mission offers much more as far as individual workouts, structured practices for 6+ months, great weight room facilities, and a well versed and experienced coaching staff, it is still not as intense and hands on as college programs. This fact makes me really excited to see Daniel's growth at Valpo. He was a swimmer before picking up basketball less than 3 years ago. I think this helped him with the conditioning aspect that hinders some guys his size. The next thing that amazed me was how well his shot (form, touch, and consistency) from 15+ feet. IMO he could easily develop the ability to knock down shots from 3. He had a lot of problems with footwork and balance when he first arrived. That's completely understandable with limited experience. However, the thing that surprised me was how fast he developed those skills. I have seen players that have played their entire life not develop that ability and the fact that he has done it in such a short period of time really amazes me. It is rare to see. Another great ability he has is to guard on the ball screens. He hedges so well. I guess that's just another thing that came naturally to him.
Anyways, he is a hard working young man and naturally using either hand very well. He listens, learns, and is very respectful. Most of all he is a great kid on and off the court. For example, they had a drawing/competition for prizes at the school and Daniel won a big box of cookies (which are a rare commodity because the nearest grocery store is quite a was from the school). Instead of keeping them and taking them to his room, he shared them with all the little kids there. I don't know if he ate 1 from the box. You have to keep in mind that Mountain Mission is a school for underprivileged kids, so giving them this was like passing out $100 bills. The little kids kept asking the teachers why didn't he eat any and why was he just giving them away. Lol. It was pretty cute to say the least.
I know that story may seem trivial to some, but it's just little things like that that demonstrates his character. Another story is how he responded when he was out for a week late in the season due to an ankle injury. Every game we played, he was the loudest person in the gym cheering on his teammates, communicating with them, and being a leader. He didn't sit at the end of the bench or act unenthusiastic, he was sitting right beside of me (4 seat on the bench) and he was vocal at all points in the game no matter the score.

Sorry for typing a novel, but I am just very excited for Daniel and Valpo. Daniel is the type of kid that makes you love coaching.

JDemp13

Now that I can post links   ;)

Please take a couple minutes to check out Mountain Mission School. It is an amazing place and more people need to know about it and its mission. I grew up a little over 2 hours from it and never heard about it until coming here to law school.

http://mmskids.org

This short video sums up the school very well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdkK1EQ6uMg

Here are the highlights of the 2016 kids I mentioned above.

6'10 F Bender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TQcbovlwko

6'9 260 C Jethro Tshisumpa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0pr-SsE3sA

6'5 SG Harold Baruti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcVSA3aGsOw

6'7 SG/SF Jakub Mijakowski
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uITnOW5hcMY

Also take a look at this 2015 unsigned PG. This is my favorite video. Love these type of PGs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfYs-90wuPY

wh

Quote from: JDemp13 on March 21, 2015, 02:44:13 PM
Also take a look at this 2015 unsigned PG. This is my favorite video. Love these type of PGs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfYs-90wuPY

Wow!  Amazing passing/ball handling skills and court awareness!

Thanks for sharing.

vu72

I have watched older video of Daniel and clearly he has improved in this one.  Both Derrik and Daniel appear to bring an ability to step out and hit that 10-15 foot shot, something clearly missing from Vashil's skill set.  I also liked his pick and roll moves and his use of both hands. 

Fortunately, Vashil learned to not get in foul trouble as had been the case in previous years.  With Chadwick hurt we were left playing Alec at the 5.  Although we have great size on the wings and guard spots, we really don't have big bodies, or banger bodies inside.  I haven't had the chance to see any tape on Derrik from his senior year so don't really know where he is skill wise relative to Daniel.  It could end up being a real battle for the starting lineup.  In any event, particularly for depth in case of an injury, I would be very surprised if Daniel redshirts.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on March 21, 2015, 04:51:53 PMI would be very surprised if Daniel redshirts.
Me too...if this team didn't redshirt Nick Davidson, then they won't redshirt Relvao either.  But I'll keep banging the redshirt drum.

wh

Quote from: JDemp13 on March 21, 2015, 01:48:20 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on March 21, 2015, 01:18:32 PM

I agree.
Even though Mountain Mission offers much more as far as individual workouts, structured practices for 6+ months, great weight room facilities, and a well versed and experienced coaching staff, it is still not as intense and hands on as college programs. This fact makes me really excited to see Daniel's growth at Valpo. He was a swimmer before picking up basketball less than 3 years ago. I think this helped him with the conditioning aspect that hinders some guys his size. The next thing that amazed me was how well his shot (form, touch, and consistency) from 15+ feet. IMO he could easily develop the ability to knock down shots from 3. He had a lot of problems with footwork and balance when he first arrived. That's completely understandable with limited experience. However, the thing that surprised me was how fast he developed those skills. I have seen players that have played their entire life not develop that ability and the fact that he has done it in such a short period of time really amazes me. It is rare to see. Another great ability he has is to guard on the ball screens. He hedges so well. I guess that's just another thing that came naturally to him.
Anyways, he is a hard working young man and naturally using either hand very well. He listens, learns, and is very respectful. Most of all he is a great kid on and off the court. For example, they had a drawing/competition for prizes at the school and Daniel won a big box of cookies (which are a rare commodity because the nearest grocery store is quite a was from the school). Instead of keeping them and taking them to his room, he shared them with all the little kids there. I don't know if he ate 1 from the box. You have to keep in mind that Mountain Mission is a school for underprivileged kids, so giving them this was like passing out $100 bills. The little kids kept asking the teachers why didn't he eat any and why was he just giving them away. Lol. It was pretty cute to say the least.
I know that story may seem trivial to some, but it's just little things like that that demonstrates his character. Another story is how he responded when he was out for a week late in the season due to an ankle injury. Every game we played, he was the loudest person in the gym cheering on his teammates, communicating with them, and being a leader. He didn't sit at the end of the bench or act unenthusiastic, he was sitting right beside of me (4 seat on the bench) and he was vocal at all points in the game no matter the score.

Sorry for typing a novel, but I am just very excited for Daniel and Valpo. Daniel is the type of kid that makes you love coaching.

Great story and not trivial to anyone on this board, believe me. 

valpo64

Did you see the Bender kid?  At 6-10!!!   Good outside shooter...wow.  Also that point guard...very impressive.  Are they good VU prospects?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 21, 2015, 05:10:56 PMI'll keep banging the redshirt drum.
So every now and then I think "that would make a good google image search" and well, it was pretty funny, "redshirt drum".

Especially because the #5 and #6 results (to me at least) were posts of mine on this very forum...

M, BED:

Daniel Relvao 6'9 Class of 2015 PF/C Mountain Mission School Basketball Highlights