• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Coaching Rumors

Started by HC, March 24, 2015, 09:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

truth219

If uncle Powell took over...we'd be fine honestly

truth219

Add lew Rhinehart as free throw coach...put another banner up

valpotx

Yes, if Powell ended up as Valpo's coach, I don't see any transfers or Smits reneging on his commitment.
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusadermoe

Ditto on Powell.    I think either he or Bryce leaves, but not both.   

I had expected Powell to leave already after last season.  He has to have tons of mid-majors interested and could be paid mountains more as an assistant at a Big 10 school or power team.   Assistant coaches at Valpo get low salaries is my guess. 

a3uge

I feel DePaul could give Powell the same salary being an assistant as Valpo could as head coach. But Powell stepping in could limit the damage of players leaving.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

FWalum

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 26, 2015, 08:10:24 AM
Pay all them more. 
Well worth it to keep the momentum going, not just for basketball, but the university as a whole.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 26, 2015, 07:06:03 AMI had expected Powell to leave already after last season.  He has to have tons of mid-majors interested and could be paid mountains more as an assistant at a Big 10 school or power team.   Assistant coaches at Valpo get low salaries is my guess. 

I have very little idea of the assistant coach pay scale.

Would Depaul really pay e.g. $400k to an assistant?

25% of head coach pay?

Would Valpo pay $100k?  $75k? $50k?

chef

number one assistants in the Big East definitely make $400,000.

wh

Big East coaching salaries according to a post (2013) on the Butler board:

This isn't really news, but I still found it to be fairly interesting.  Here are the s as reported by the schools for the latest tax return information available (2011).  The 2012 returns should have been filed months ago, it's just a matter of them becoming available to the public and I will update that when it becomes available.

1. Jay Wright - Villanova - $2,290,346
2. John Thompson III - Georgetown - $2,211,250
3. Oliver Purnell - DePaul - $2,192,385
4. Buzz Williams - Marquette - $1,105,203 in base and $631,250 paid to "Team Buzz Williams L.P." or $1,736,453
5. Steve Lavin - St. John's - $1,413,952
6. Greg McDermott - Creighton - $1,369,949
7. Keno Davis - Providence - $889,930 (obviously Ed Cooley is the coach now but I would suspect it'll be something similar to this)
8. Brad Stevens - Butler - $853,397
9. Kevin Willard - Seton Hall - $722,509
10. Chris Mack - Xavier - $484,399 (I am sure he's getting paid more than this, but this is what was in the return)

What I also found that was interesting is that DePaul was also still paying its former coach (and current DOBO for Marquette) Jerry Wainwright around $1.2 million in compensation the same year they paid Oliver Purnell his salary.

78crusader

Not sure which I find to be harder to believe -- that Bryce would leave us for DePaul, or that DePaul pays its bball coach over $2 mil per year.

Paul

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: 78crusader on March 26, 2015, 11:50:20 AMDePaul pays its bball coach over $2 mil per year
Over 3 mil when still paying Wainwrong!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

classof2014

If it were the case that DePaul pays 2 million a year, you couldn't blame Bryce for taking it. I don't know how much he makes at Valpo but I'm guessing about half a million or so. Still he can live rather comfortably at what he makes coupled with his professional career and I'm sure his wife was paid quite handsomely as well.

Sadly, it all comes down to money and values. I'd say Bryce would definitely leave if the ties to Valpo as a university as well as a city weren't there. Since he has so many ties to the city and he's never left. He chose to play at Valpo for his collegiate career, when he had other options at "better" schools. He came back to Valpo after his playing career was over. He has received offers from bigger universities with bigger piggy banks than Valpo and has chosen to stay.

He lives quite well, his job security is damn near perfect. He is beloved by all in the city, gets the celebrity treatment.

I believe he'll stay at Valpo for quite a while. Maybe if a job like a Purdue or Indiana opened up, I can see him going for one of those but for the time being he's gonna be at the helm of the Crusaders.

crusadermoe

Wow.  $2 million to the DePaul coach Purnell.    That makes the pressure to win quickly even greater and you'd have to land big recruits to get to NCAA in 2-3 years.    If he takes that Job he takes Powell no question about it.

I still agree he will stay.   But I never dreamed DePaul would pay $2 mil and Marquette $1 mil   

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: classof2014 on March 26, 2015, 12:37:13 PMI'm sure his wife was paid quite handsomely as well
I'm intrigued by two things: the use of past tense and what did she do?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Kyle321n

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 26, 2015, 01:35:35 PM
Quote from: classof2014 on March 26, 2015, 12:37:13 PMI'm sure his wife was paid quite handsomely as well
I'm intrigued by two things: the use of past tense and what did she do?

She was an Atlanta Hawks cheerleader and a dance choreographer. That doesn't scream paid well, but when you're the daughter of Little Ricky I'm sure there's some monetary perks.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

LaPorteAveApostle

vu72

Quote from: chef on March 26, 2015, 11:11:57 AM
number one assistants in the Big East definitely make $400,000.

OK, then who is our No. 1 assistant?  All three are listed as "Assistant Coach"  Luke has been at Valpo the longest at 13 years, while Roger Has finished his 4th and Matt his 2nd.

Luke is the guy who does the interview after games just as Bryce and Scott did before him.  That tells me Luke is the No. 1.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: classof2014 on March 26, 2015, 12:37:13 PMI'm sure his [Bryce's] wife was paid quite handsomely as well.

In what profession?  I thought cheerleaders were famous for being practically unpaid.  But, I'm sure she's had other jobs - probably something of which I'm unaware?

Quote from: classof2014 on March 26, 2015, 12:37:13 PMcouldn't blame Bryce for taking it. I don't know how much he makes at Valpo but I'm guessing about half a million or so. Still he can live rather comfortably at what he makes coupled with his professional career and I'm sure his wife was paid quite handsomely as well.

Probably good to remind ourselves of this periodically.  I actually might have guessed $400k or so myself, but apparently I'd have been wrong.

Valpo's required to file paperwork with the IRS, like many organizations.  It includes a selection of the most highly compensated employees.

A couple of databases of this paperwork are
http://www.eri-nonprofit-salaries.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=NPO.Form990&EIN=350868125&Year=2013
or
http://www.eri-nonprofit-salaries.com/?FuseAction=NPO.Summary&EIN=350868125&BMF=1&Cobrandid=0&Syndicate=No
and
https://www.citizenaudit.org/350868125/

Here's some selected info

2012 (year ending June 30, 2013 - the most recent info I could trivially find)
President Heckler $363k (I wasn't careful to include the second compensation column, mostly I just included the first, salary)
Provost Schwehn $218k (not actually the second highest paid administrator - but close)
Dean Conison (law) $256k
Bryce Drew $257k
Homer Drew $635k
a few law professors in the $170's-190's

I'm a little surprised that Bryce is at only $257k, and more than a little surprised that Homer's way up at $635k - complicated deferred compensation package, I guess!

2011 (year ending June 30, 2012)
Heckler a bit more than the 2012, above; a few other small to moderate differences
Bryce down at $123k (probably this didn't include a full year? not sure if it's _just_ his head coach pay for the fiscal year; or might perhaps include the combo of assistant and head coach pay)
Homer not listed among the highest paid employees

in 2010 Homer (as head coach) was at $200k+65k, behind only the President and the Dean of the Law School

(at one point in the past, 2001, Homer's total package was higher than President Harre's; and I guess for 2012 it was higher than President Heckler's)

agibson

Quote from: wh on March 26, 2015, 11:35:15 AM
Coaching salaries

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach

Interesting that Milwaukee's Jeter was apparently at about 75% higher salary than Bryce.  I guess it's really _not_ about the money!

vu72

The numbers are all outdated.  Mark LaBarbera has consistently said that our coaches are paid near the top of the conference.  It is the total package that is difficult to get ones hands around.  As an example, Homer's 635K was well after he concluded his coaching career.  He is still an asst. AD and does plenty for the University.  Still, the vast majority of that comp package was from deferred comp.  No doubt Bryce's is getting a similar package which grows with things like conference championships, being named coach of the year etc, etc.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on March 26, 2015, 06:11:54 PMThe numbers are all outdated.  Mark LaBarbera has consistently said that our coaches are paid near the top of the conference.  It is the total package that is difficult to get ones hands around.

The numbers I gave are outdated - but they're also dated!  Not hiding anything here.

I was, indeed, a little glib in my Jeter comparison.  I didn't look very hard at the 2014 NCAA survey's methodology.  And, no doubt the total packages are hard to get a handle on.

For public universities things are even a little more transparent.  For example
http://host.madison.com/data/uw_salaries/

And, I bet that Rob Jeter's base salary _was_ higher than Bryce's, at least two years ago.  But, I can't speak to the total package.  We indeed have some evidence from Homer's case that Valpo does complicated things, and maybe that makes comparisons to other schools difficult.

wh

Under Bryce's leadership Valpo has become the top HL program and should continue so well into the future.

This is what Bryce's Valparaiso coaching resume may well look like 2 years from now after 6 years:
---5 conference championships
---4 conference tournament championships
---4 NCAA tournament appearances, 1 NIT appearance, 1 CIT appearance
---150-55 record (73%)

The administration needs to go all-in if they hope to keep Bryce.  I'm not talking about matching what he could make at a D-1 major, of course, but make him the top paid coach in the HL.  $450-500K may not be MAJOR money, but it's still a huge salary by any reasonable standard. Unless we're willing to pay the top HL coach the top HL salary, we don't deserve to keep him for the long term.

And for those who think we're going to promote Roger (or whomever) and just roll merrily along, you're kidding yourself.  The long term success of Valparaiso University basketball is due exclusively to the Drew family.  They inherited what had been 1 of the worst D-1 basketball programs in the country for years and turned it into the long term success story that it is today. They've done it all alone.  They are the brand.  They ARE Valpo basketball.  They did it despite lingering for years longer in the crap Mid Con than we should have, thanks to Valpo's family conflicted AD.  They did it despite the previous administration turning a deaf ear to repeated personal appeals from Homer to improve the ARC.  They have continued to do it despite nothing more than lip service support for facility enhancements from the current administration. 

Make no mistake.  This is a Drew family success story, the way the 6 Bulls championships are a Michael Jordan success story. Bulls GM Jerry Krause was just arrogant and naive enough to think because he stood at the podium wearing a championship hat that he played a major role in the team's success. Bulls fans know ho that turned out.  I hope mh and ml are smarter than that.

[tweet]575673527031889920[/tweet]

crusadermoe

I think this all goes back to the reality that athletics are a loss leader at universities that are not BCS conferences.    Without football, I would guess that all of the Big East have big net losses.   Even with football, MAC schools don't net a profit.

I have been on this board for 16 years and we always try to measure the valuable of intangibles of Valpo.  What is the worth of the frequent NCAA entries in March and the high integrity image VU gets from the Drew family?   We not only win, but we do it with class and don't cut corners. If you build the faciliites Bryce wants, does it keep him here?....does it translate to more students?...does it translate into more alumni giving?  You have to actively leverage it.    I personally believe that the Valpo brand is MUCH stronger because of Bryce and the 1996 to 2015 phase of VU basketball.   But if someone wants not to believe it you can't prove it.