• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

(This year's) Transfer(s) (?!)

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, March 26, 2015, 11:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think will leave / transfer out this off-season?

Nick Davidson
7 (25%)
Max Joseph
6 (21.4%)
A surprise (not the good kind) candidate
2 (7.1%)
more than one
0 (0%)
NOBODY  NOBODY IS LISTENING HOMINAHOMINAHOMINA
7 (25%)
don't you BRING that evil on me, ricky bobby
6 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: April 07, 2015, 11:06:02 AM

LaPorteAveApostle

Nobody really wants to talk about it, but as Paul Oren has pointed out, someone has left the program every year since 2003.  Just when people are saying "peace" and "security!" ... ye know not the day nor the hour.

Here's a totally random assessment from someone on the internet who lives like a thousand miles away, so it must be legit.

Not going anywhere ("out", in NFL injury terms)
Keith Carter
E Victor Nickerson
Darien Walker
Shane Hammink

All these people have either just sat out a year and/or have just a year of eligibility remaining.  So...in the words of Chris Rock, "never say never?  I'M saying NEVER."

Could, but doubt it ("doubtful" on the NFL gamblers' injury report)
Alec Peters -- if Bryce leaves, and he and his girlfriend break up, and possibly completely forgets who he is (be on watch for:  tattoos)
Jubril Adekoya -- lost his starting job and didn't pout, still saw a lot of PT, so you would hope not...
David Skara -- sure, this European forward won't go anywhere.  plenty of promise, outside shooting touch, good fundamentals...what?  you were talking about Sam Haänpaä?  Oh.
Tevonn Walker -- maybe a big school comes calling.  Izzo, or someone with fewer scruples, needs guys like this.
Lexus Williams -- the band still went on tour without him.  Not saying he would, but if he could go somewhere else and play immediately because of the injury redshirt?  I'm not sure if the recent NCAA loophole closure applies to this type of case.  I hope it does.
Chandler Levingston Simon -- He had a scholarship somewhere else; he may want one along with more PT.

You never know ("questionable")
Max Joseph
Nick Davidson

Obviously the writing is on the wall here for them; PT will be even scarcer than this year.  But hear me out; I have a solution that will make everyone happy.  (Not to steal from my upcoming PT thread or anything.)

OH NO HE'S GOING TO BANG REDSHIRT DRUM AGAIN ISN'T HE

Hear me out:  plan to redshirt them both (unless break glass in case of injury).  We have plenty of guards next year.  BUT the year after that, less so.  And none are coming in this year.

SO

Max Joseph would get plenty of run in 2017-19, and maybe Davidson then sees Joseph-like minutes from this year.  If not, then he might just be able to pull a Will Bogan: graduate in 3 and still have 2 to play somewhere that he'd play more.

What sayest thou?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo4life

I would move E. Victor from the Not Going Anywhere category into the Could, But Doubt It category. He could pull the graduate transfer move to a bigger program. I am really hoping not, as he is one of my favorites with his length and athleticism at the guard position to go with his enthusiasm.

Valpofan00

So if Bryce leaves we might as well throw this team out the window?

truth219

I don't think that's the case. If he takes powell...it may be armageddon.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 26, 2015, 11:06:02 AMif Bryce leaves, and he and his girlfriend break up
before this ends up on the "Coaching Rumors" thread, I should vehemently underscore that by "he" I was referring to Alec, not Bryce
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Valpofan00

Quote from: truth219 on March 26, 2015, 12:13:52 PM
I don't think that's the case. If he takes powell...it may be armageddon.
Should we just become DePaul fans then?

truth219

classof2014

I'm gonna stay on topic...

To me one of the most likely candidates, in my mind, is Jubril.

He has the possibility at being the third inline at the power forward position. With Skara vastly improving this season and the addition of Hammink, who I'm guessing will be game ready from the get-go, he may see his playing time be slashed. The one constant at the forward position is Alec.

I'm guessing Smits won't be quite ready, yet. Depends on how much muscle he gains this offseason but I'm guessing he'll get his playing time.

I really think the key may be Hammink for Jubril, if Hammink is a great player that LSU just didn't appreciate then Jubril may not see the court as much. If Hammink is average then Jubril should see equal playing time to last season.

It'll be interesting to see who gets the minutes this season. We replace one talented player, Vashil, with Lexus, Hammink, Smits, and Relvao. Two out of the four are college ready and we already know Lexus has the potential to be the next star PG in the HL and perhaps Smits is the next Frank "the tank" Kaminsky.

The big candidates in my mind are:

Jubril and Max, both can go to other D1 schools and see significant playing time.

I could see Nick transfer down to D2.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: classof2014 on March 26, 2015, 12:51:28 PMWith Skara vastly improving this season and the addition of Hammink, who I'm guessing will be game ready from the get-go
Hammink's game is more that of a perimeter player; although he is 6'7, he's listed at guard.  Again, HEIGHT

Kyle321n

I see Nick doing the same as Yeo last year. He'll stay someplace close, but since he's not getting the PT and I don't think he's quite a D1 player at our level I can see him leaving. I really don't want Max to leave and I don't think he will as long as Tevonn is here. I think they were kind of a package deal and I think Max is better than he's shown in limited playing time.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valpo4life

Looks like Trey Lewis may be done at Cleveland State. He is graduating and will be eligible immediately. Wouldn't be too surprised to see Anton Grady follow suite and transfer to a higher program somewhere.

FWalum

Quote from: Kyle321n on March 26, 2015, 01:46:17 PM
I see Nick doing the same as Yeo last year. He'll stay someplace close, but since he's not getting the PT and I don't think he's quite a D1 player at our level I can see him leaving. I really don't want Max to leave and I don't think he will as long as Tevonn is here. I think they were kind of a package deal and I think Max is better than he's shown in limited playing time.
I don't know if Clay and Nick were close, but with Zach Miller and Matt Schauss graduating at Bethel it would seem like maybe a good fit for Nick. I also thought that Nick looked like he had improved quite a bit this year over last.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

classof2014

Quote from: valpo4life on March 30, 2015, 03:00:26 PM
Looks like Trey Lewis may be done at Cleveland State. He is graduating and will be eligible immediately. Wouldn't be too surprised to see Anton Grady follow suite and transfer to a higher program somewhere.

Perhaps Michigan State?

Izzo does have a knack for poaching HL talent.

webbvufan

Someone on the CSU board mentioned Louisville as a possible destination for Lewis.

valpo4life

Would make sense. Louisville needs someone who can shoot, desperately.

justducky

Quote from: FWalum on March 30, 2015, 03:10:15 PM
Quote from: Kyle321n on March 26, 2015, 01:46:17 PM
I don't know if Clay and Nick were close, but with Zach Miller and Matt Schauss graduating at Bethel it would seem like maybe a good fit for Nick. I also thought that Nick looked like he had improved quite a bit this year over last.
Putting this into perspective VU has had a number of teams over the last 15 years where Nick would have gotten significant and sometimes important playing time but 15-16 will not be one of them. Barring multiple transfers and injuries we have just become too good and too deep. Nick is the best northwest Indiana basketball player we have gotten since Kenny Harris and there are still no minutes available.

I have trouble imagining him being forced out so unless he wants to go after the additional playing time he may return. A Valpo degree has to be of significantly higher value than one from Bethel (just my assumption) so that type of thinking may factor in his decision.

Max will be an excellent player, but playing time could be hard to come by and redshirting might be the best option. If that happens he would be the best non injury, non transfer redshirt we have ever sat.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: justducky on March 30, 2015, 07:15:11 PMNick is the best northwest Indiana basketball player we have gotten since Kenny Harris
because...only.

justducky

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 30, 2015, 07:27:41 PM
Quote from: justducky on March 30, 2015, 07:15:11 PMNick is the best northwest Indiana basketball player we have gotten since Kenny Harris
because...only.
What purpose was served by your saying this?  ???

LaPorteAveApostle

Um...pointing out that he's only the "best since Harris" because he's THE ONLY SINCE HARRIS.

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on March 30, 2015, 07:15:11 PMI have trouble imagining him being forced out so unless he wants to go after the additional playing time he may return. A Valpo degree has to be of significantly higher value than one from Bethel (just my assumption) so that type of thinking may factor in his decision.

Nick Davidson's major is nursing, so unless Bethel or another lower Div program also has a nursing program I doubt you will see him transfer. OTOH, I'm sure there are many lower Div schools that have a nursing major.

chef

Some thoughts from this page....Nick Davidson loves it at VU and knows he's getting a top notch nursing degree. I doubt he's going anywhere. Jubril will see a similar role next year as he did this season. He'll play some minutes at the 5 and back up Alec at the 4. Skara and Hammink are not power forwards. One of BRYCE's challenges next season will be creative ways to get these guys minutes. I think both with see some time at the 2, but mostly rotating at the 3. There are always injuries, but as things stand right now, this will be the deepest team in Valpo history.

classof2014

This offseason has a chance to be the first offseason in quite a while without anybody leaving. There are a few players that I could understand if they choose to play elsewhere but don't see it happening. This team has some unfinished business and the 15/16 Valpo team has the chance to be the best Valpo team in the history of the university.

Who doesn't want to be on a top-25 caliber team?

vu84v2

chef - Is there any intent or possibility of bringing in an experienced player that plays the 4 or 5? Smits has potential, but there is always a significant learning curve for a Freshman. Jubril will play ~20 minutes per game at the 5 and backing up Peters at the 4. The one gap in a very promising 2015-2016 season is the need for more depth up front.

valpo4life

Per Goodman, here's the Horizon league players transferring (so far):

Cleveland State:
Trey Lewis 6-2, G, RS Jr. (will graduate)

Oakland:
Collin Weaver, 6-2, G, Soph.

UIC:
D'Juan Miller, 5-8, G, Jr.

Wright State:
Grant Evans, 6-3, G, Fr
Mark Howell, 5-10, PG, Soph

Youngstown State:
Marcus Keene, 5-11, G, Soph.
Jalon Plummer, 6-5, G, Soph.
Shaun Stewart, 6-0, G, Jr.
Osandai Vaughn, 6-4, G, Soph.

historyman

Quote from: bbtds on March 30, 2015, 08:03:38 PM
Quote from: justducky on March 30, 2015, 07:15:11 PMI have trouble imagining him being forced out so unless he wants to go after the additional playing time he may return. A Valpo degree has to be of significantly higher value than one from Bethel (just my assumption) so that type of thinking may factor in his decision.
Nick Davidson's major is nursing, so unless Bethel or another lower Div program also has a nursing program I doubt you will see him transfer. OTOH, I'm sure there are many lower Div schools that have a nursing major.
I had to check and Bethel College in Mishawaka does have a nursing major.

http://www.bethelcollege.edu/students/undergrad/academic-dept-prog/nursing-school/
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann