• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2017

Started by covufan, May 11, 2015, 03:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Our first 2017 recruit:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/kobe-king

This is before any offers (on verbalcommits or anywhere else) for the 2016 recruiting class.

a3uge

Kyle321n

You sure that's us? I think that might be for Valporaiso, not Valparaiso
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

covufan

Quote from: Kyle321n on September 16, 2015, 09:51:28 AM
Saw that as well, eh!

bbtds

Quote from: covufan on September 16, 2015, 09:55:52 AM
Quote from: Kyle321n on September 16, 2015, 09:51:28 AM
Saw that as well, eh!

Since we like to shorten the name to Valpo I can see where some people could make that mistake.  Valporaiso

Kyle321n

Yeah but they also shorten it to Mizzou and it's not Mizzouri
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

bbtds

Quote from: Kyle321n on September 17, 2015, 12:47:59 PM
Yeah but they also shorten it to Mizzou and it's not Mizzouri

Are you sure about that?    ;)

Valpower

Quote from: bbtds on September 17, 2015, 12:44:30 PM
Quote from: covufan on September 16, 2015, 09:55:52 AM
Quote from: Kyle321n on September 16, 2015, 09:51:28 AMYou sure that's us? I think that might be for Valporaiso, not Valparaiso
Saw that as well, eh!
Since we like to shorten the name to Valpo I can see where some people could make that mistake.  Valporaiso

The problem is the spelling.  It should be "Valp'o" as it was intended to be a contraction.  If we had been going for simple shortening, it would have been "Valpa" and I would be know as Valpawer.

vufan75

Just wondering if Valpo has recruited this 2017 player from Crown Point. Sasha Stefanovic may have blown up beyond us at this point based on schools mentioned. Wonder if anyone on the board local to the region has  seen him play?

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/04/11/recruiting-notes-another-crown-point-product-gaining-interest/82903586/

M

They've been there to watch him at least once. Don't know about any offer.

valpo4life

Watched Sasha played this weekend down in Indy. Was not really blown away, but he is a very good all around player. Had no issues playing on the court with players much more athletic than he was. He'll get some high major looks because of his ability to knock down shots consistently combined with being a seemingly smart player.

ValpoDad89

Spiece Tournament is April 29th through May 1st. All the top AAU teams in the country are there. Here's hoping our staff makes the short drive and capitalizes on a great post season run. Not saying we are going to get the big boys but there's plenty of 3* talent that we can make inroads with. We are a winner, we got some good publicity, we've got a great returning team. We have a lot to sell some of these lesser known kids on good programs.....just saying.

VU2014

I would say any of those schools are above us in term of basketball schools. In terms of academics yeah....  Columbia and Brown are big time if he wants to get a degree from there, but something to keep in mind is that ivy league schools don't give athletic scholarships and those schools are +$50K a year for tuition. Ball State, Indiana State and Evansville aren't exactly destination basketball schools in my mind. Now if Michigan, Northwestern or Xavier offer game over if you think you'll get playing time eventually.

ValpoDad89

VU2014, you are correct, the Ivies don't offer athletic scholasrships but they also have BIG MONEY donors. While sports aren't a priority at these schools, for the "right" kid they find a way to make that tuition very palatable.

covufan

Quote from: VU2014 on April 11, 2016, 11:21:16 PM
I would say any of those schools are above us in term of basketball schools. In terms of academics yeah....  Columbia and Brown are big time if he wants to get a degree from there, but something to keep in mind is that ivy league schools don't give athletic scholarships and those schools are +$50K a year for tuition. Ball State, Indiana State and Evansville aren't exactly destination basketball schools in my mind. Now if Michigan, Northwestern or Xavier offer game over if you think you'll get playing time eventually.
Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 11, 2016, 11:46:12 PM
VU2014, you are correct, the Ivies don't offer athletic scholasrships but they also have BIG MONEY donors. While sports aren't a priority at these schools, for the "right" kid they find a way to make that tuition very palatable.
And more kids are aware of the fact that the Harvard's and Yale's (and to some point the other Ivy's) have scholarships for everyone whose parents make less than $xxx,000.  Look at the three and four star basketball players Harvard has signed recently.

http://verbalcommits.com/schools/harvard

VULB#62

Quote from: covufan on April 12, 2016, 11:23:47 AM

And more kids are aware of the fact that the Harvard's and Yale's (and to some point the other Ivy's) have scholarships for everyone whose parents make less than $xxx,000.  Look at the three and four star basketball players Harvard has signed recently.

http://verbalcommits.com/schools/harvard

7 member class:
  4*  6-0 PG
  2*  6-2 PG
  4*  6-9 SF
  3.3*  6-8 SF
  2.7*  6-5 SF
  3.7*  6-8 PF
  2.7*  6-10 C

valpotx

Wow, I had no clue that they attracted such talent.  I get the selling point of a fantastic degree, but never would have thought 3 and 4 star players!
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Tommy Amaker does a great job both on the floor and in recruiting.  His pedigree as a UM B1G HC set him up well in Cambridge.  He's turned down a lot of jobs since then. 

They play in a gym that has a capacity of 2,195 and was builtin 1926. So much for facilities being the key to attracting great basketball talent.

http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mbkb/facilities/lavieties

Here's a YouTube where you can see how high school their gym really is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwwwLD_sfC8

ValpoDad89

Hence why we should sell ourselves as being the Harvard of the Hertland if you will. It's somewhat of a misnomer that they don't offer scholarships. They find money to get the right kid on campus. Yale saw what Amaker did and are trying to emulate that. Penn used to be that school. Get good basketball players with brains, which we have and look out!!!

I argue with guys on the DePaul board all the time. DePaul basketball sucks, in fact it's a suck fest. Many feel that DePaul needs 4/5* kids to compete. They could, if they did, but they ain't getting them. I say get good 3/2* kids that know the game, coach them up and you'll win.....eventually. And if you win in the Big East, those higher ranked kids will find you. DePaul's basketball IQ is so low and they have 4* guys. DePaul plays in the Big East I can guarantee you that if we played them in 10 game 5/5 series, we'd win 7-8 games. To their credit they did beat Seton Hall and George Washington, so they had some talent.

vufan75

Valpo HC Matt Lottich & Buffalo AC Jim Whitesell will be in to see 6'6 2017 WF Nana Akenten tomorrow per @brookhoops.

vufan75

Per Roy Schmidt at Illinois Prep Bullseye earlier today.
"I am betting 6'6 2017 PG Nojel Eastern gets offered today by both Wisconsin & Valparaiso. Both are visiting him as is Michigan St."

M

neat to be mentioned with those two B1G boys

ValpoDad89

M, even if we don't have a chance to get an Eastern, when people see Valpo equated with higher ranked players, it helps our perception among the uncommitted who may be lesser rated but who we are pursuing as well. Again, it's always about perception and sometimes perception becomes a kid's reality and BAM, we get him.

crusaderboy

I've seen Sasha play on multiple occasions, including once when Roger Powell was in attendance. He was clearly the best player on that Crown Point team that had IU signee and Indiana All-Star Grant Gelon.

He's a do-everything player who does everything well. Smart and tough. And clutch. Xavier has offered and Michigan is expected to.

He plays on the same AAU team (Eric Gordon) as Romeo Langford who just got offered by Duke and Kansas, so he will have the opportunity to showcase himself in front of all the top programs.

Still only 6-4, though, so he better grow.