• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2015-16 Season

Started by wh, July 19, 2015, 03:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Impressive review.  30 wins?  Hmmm   Wow.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 10, 2015, 03:51:08 PM
Impressive review.  30 wins?  Hmmm   Wow.

Murray State went 29-6 last year including a 35 point loss to us!   :o
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

Will we even play 30 games this year!?

nkvu

Doesn't matter. We could go undefeated in conference and lose the conference tournament on a buzzer beater and we still won't get an at large unless we beat Oregon, or Rhode Island, or at least Oregon State and win all our out of conference games against mid majors. If we don't beat a major conference team we will not get an at large bid.  Period.

a3uge

Quote from: nkvu on September 10, 2015, 05:52:51 PM
Doesn't matter. We could go undefeated in conference and lose the conference tournament on a buzzer beater and we still won't get an at large unless we beat Oregon, or Rhode Island, or at least Oregon State and win all our out of conference games against mid majors. If we don't beat a major conference team we will not get an at large bid.  Period.

The NCAA selection committee doesn't look at W/L record vs major conference teams.

nkvu

Sorry but I don't believe that.  Otherwise why do major conferences get 8 or more teams in the NCAA tournament when mid major conferences get only one?  It's because they play and get wins over other major conference teams.  I do not believe they look at wins against Horizon league teams the way they look at wins against Big whatever, ACC or SEC teams. Any loss against Horizon league teams would be considered a " bad " loss.  Without a big conference win to offset such a loss I don't believe we will get consideration for an at large bid.  Absent a win against either Oregon, Rhode Island or at least Oregon State I don't see us getting an at large bid.  Realistically  we have to win the conference tournament to be assured of an NCAA tournament bid. That's not to say we couldn't win a game or two if we get there however we get there.  But major conferences since they play other major conference teams home and home in conference have a huge advantage for at large bids. If we had lost our conference tournament final last year we would not have received an at large bid with 27 wins. Murray State didn't get one with 29 wins.  Mid major wins simply do not get the same consideration that major conference wins do.  Absent a signiture win against a big conference team I believe we will have to win our conference tournament to get a bid.

a3uge

Quote from: nkvu on September 10, 2015, 11:17:35 PM
Sorry but I don't believe that.  Otherwise why do major conferences get 8 or more teams in the NCAA tournament when mid major conferences get only one?  It's because they play and get wins over other major conference teams.  I do not believe they look at wins against Horizon league teams the way they look at wins against Big whatever, ACC or SEC teams. Any loss against Horizon league teams would be considered a " bad " loss.  Without a big conference win to offset such a loss I don't believe we will get consideration for an at large bid.  Absent a win against either Oregon, Rhode Island or at least Oregon State I don't see us getting an at large bid.  Realistically  we have to win the conference tournament to be assured of an NCAA tournament bid. That's not to say we couldn't win a game or two if we get there however we get there.  But major conferences since they play other major conference teams home and home in conference have a huge advantage for at large bids. If we had lost our conference tournament final last year we would not have received an at large bid with 27 wins. Murray State didn't get one with 29 wins.  Mid major wins simply do not get the same consideration that major conference wins do.  Absent a signiture win against a big conference team I believe we will have to win our conference tournament to get a bid.

This still has nothing to do with conference affiliation. Power conference teams tend to have a high SOS and multiple chances to beat top 50 teams. The selection committee does not value a conference games vs Vanderbilt, Northwestern, or Wake Forest more than a game against Wichita State, Northern Iowa, or Gonzaga. This is a fact. Do you think Northern Iowa's win over 11-22 Virgina Tech meant more than their win over 26-4 SFA? Or a win over Northwestern was more glamourous than Wichita State? If Oregon isn't a top 50 team and Belmont is, they'll value a win over Belmont more than Oregon. If Oregon finishes the year with a 150 RPI, the selection committee won't care about Valpo beating Oregon more than a top 50 RPI mid major team.

There's also a fallacy behind assigning weights to certain games. Just two years ago, Green Bay had a victory over an eventual #1 seed, but missed the tournament because they had bad conference losses over Milwaukee (twice, including one at home), and Valpo. If you looked at their RPI, it was actually only 60, which was higher than Valpo's 2015 and 2013 tournament runs. Even last year, Green Bay had a win over a power conference team (Miami) and a bid was a non-starter.

It is important to gather top 25, top 50 wins. A win over a power conference team is not the same as a win over a top 25, top 50 team. Oregon, Oregon State, and URI should probably be top 50 teams... but if they're not, their conference affiliation isnt going to mean squat for Valpo.

sliman

NCAA News story also makes it clear that the Iona game will have some national interest.

VULB#62

Yep. Iona is #3 on that list.

wh

Valpo vs. Iona would have a lot more interest and significance if it were played toward the end of the season instead of the beginning. It's a shame that the original ESPN Bracket Busters format (top 18 mid majors from around the country) isn't still in place. It could have been if not for having to appease a hundred-plus crybaby mids that whined because they got left out. Once they placated the cry baby's and expanded participants to a 100, bracket busters completely lost its luster.  Isn't today's "everyone has to have a participation trophy" mindset great?  It may drive us all down to the same level of mediocrity, but it's so worth it to keep us in touch with our more sensitive, feminine side.

a3uge

Quote from: wh on October 02, 2015, 04:14:20 PM
Valpo vs. Iona would have a lot more interest and significance if it were played toward the end of the season instead of the beginning. It's a shame that the original ESPN Bracket Busters format (top 18 mid majors from around the country) isn't still in place. It could have been if not for having to appease a hundred-plus crybaby mids that whined because they got left out. Once they placated the cry baby's and expanded participants to a 100, bracket busters completely lost its luster.  Isn't today's "everyone has to have a participation trophy" mindset great?  It may drive us all down to the same level of mediocrity, but it's so worth it to keep us in touch with our more sensitive, feminine side.
I blame ESPN for this; they saw it was working, then went overboard until it was no longer even "bracketbusters" playing each other... Essentially it was like what Star Wars is going to turn into once Disney starts making 3 or 4 offshoot movies each year.

UConnHoops

E. Victor Nickerson undergoing wrist surgery for a torn ligament. Will be sidelined until shortly before the season starts. Per nwtimes not sure when he will be game ready.

Thoughts?

justducky

Quote from: UConnHoops on October 02, 2015, 07:48:45 PME. Victor Nickerson undergoing wrist surgery for a torn ligament. Will be sidelined until shortly before the season starts. Per nwtimes not sure when he will be game ready.

Thoughts?
His return will not be rushed. If VU only went 7 or 8 or 9 or 10 or 11 players deep I might be a bit more concerned as he is a valuable defender. However if necessary we can and will compete in his absence and that includes the early games against Iona, Rhode Island, Oregon and Oregon St.

Sure. A quick recovery would make all of us happier but it wouldn't change the rule that only allows us to play 5 people at a time.

VULB#62

Some body needs to get a Harrison Ante-Award, but who?  Sounds like the four letter network.

vu72

Quote from: UConnHoops on October 02, 2015, 07:48:45 PM
E. Victor Nickerson undergoing wrist surgery for a torn ligament. Will be sidelined until shortly before the season starts. Per nwtimes not sure when he will be game ready.

Thoughts?

/clearly he is a special player but with the return of Lexus we won't need him at the point.  Hammink brings similar defensive skills and is nearly as big. E's swarming of smaller guards was hard to adjust to but we are adding so much talent that we should be fine in his absence.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

NCAA lists Vashil as one of the top 7 rim protectors (#4) in the country.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2015-10-02/college-basketball-seven-guys-will-stifle-opponents-rim?cid=ncaammsocial_fb_sf13756518

.... And the pressure continues to build.

wh

I thought those of you who live outside the area might be interested in seeing what's coming up in less than 2 weeks:

SEASON TICKET HOLDER OPEN PRACTICE

Thank you for purchasing season tickets for the 2015-2016 Valpo Basketball season. We are excited for another thrilling season of Crusader basketball! To show our appreciation for your involvement in the program, you and your family are invited to the 5th annual Season Ticket Holder Open Practice. You'll have the opportunity to connect with men's basketball head coach Bryce Drew, women's basketball head coach Tracey Dorow, as well as both teams!

This exclusive event for season ticket holders will be held at the ARC on Friday, Oct. 16, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. and will involve one hour of practice before concluding with a "meet-and-greet" with both teams. You will be the first group to catch a glimpse of your Crusaders as they prepare for the 2015-2016 season. A meal from Parea will be provided. This year's new customized season tickets will be handed out at the end of the event, so please stick around! If you are able to attend, we ask that you please RSVP by calling 219.464.6113 or by emailing valpo.athletics@valpo.edu with the size of your party by October 15. If you are unable to attend, season tickets will be mailed out the following day.

Details at a Glance
What: Season Ticket Holder Open Practice, dinner provided
Where: Arena in Athletics-Recreation Center
When: 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Friday, Oct. 16, ***Doors will open at 5 p.m.

We look forward to seeing you at this event and thank you again for your continued support of Valpo Basketball!

Sincerely,

Mark LaBarbera

VALPARAISO UNIVERSITY ATHLETICS

Happy Hour

Quote from: sliman on October 02, 2015, 12:23:26 PM
NCAA News story also makes it clear that the Iona game will have some national interest.

Iona fan here. Should be a great game when we play. Much respect for your program. Didn't see this noted as yet on your board. Mid Major Madness's Top 15 Preseason Poll lists Rhode Island at # 4, Valpo at #7 and the Gaels at # 11.

agibson

[tweet]653972338464194560[/tweet]
[tweet]653974250383122433[/tweet]
[tweet]653975267694788608[/tweet]

agibson

Grrr... was the time for the Iona game announced late?  Somehow it's not yet on my calendar - probably I last updated when the league schedule was announced and only e.g. the Rhode Island game was known non-conf.

One of two interesting non-conference home games this season, and it's a 1:30 PM Sunday tip.

Opposite a hymn fest (2:00 PM) in the chapel where a friend's playing the hymns and my wife is preaching. So, not like I could have done much if I had known...

Am I going to be reduced to the old days of figuring out how to record the WVUR or HLN feeds?

zvillehaze

I generally agree with this, but it may also be an advantage that Valpo has the games with Iona/Rhode Island/Oregon/Oregon State on the front end of the schedule.  With everyone returning, plus the advantage of the Canadian tour, Valpo should be playing at a high level right out of the gate.  If they can take down these teams early, they'll get national recognition (and the rankings that go with that) and then will just need to maintain through the easier non-conference games and the conference schedule. 

If they can win early and get into the top 25, they won't be penalized for beating inferior teams ... they just have to avoid bad losses.  I think the layout of the schedule provides them a great opportunity.

zvillehaze

Quote from: Pgmado on October 13, 2015, 09:51:47 PM
Click on a link, save the newspaper industry!

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/inside-vu-sports/horizon-league-media-day-preview/collection_81045daa-38b4-56c4-aefb-e23225d7955e.html

Hard to disagree with any of this.  As pointed out, it's difficult to predict which Valpo players might earn individual honors since (other than Peters) it's tough to predict who will get 25+ minutes of playing time.  Valpo should be a unanimous pick to win the league, but at this point, who will start or play significant minutes is somewhat of a mystery.  As pgmado points out, that's a good dilemma to have.

wh

Quote from: wh on October 05, 2015, 08:03:03 PM
I thought those of you who live outside the area might be interested in seeing what's coming up in less than 2 weeks:

SEASON TICKET HOLDER OPEN PRACTICE

Thank you for purchasing season tickets for the 2015-2016 Valpo Basketball season. We are excited for another thrilling season of Crusader basketball! To show our appreciation for your involvement in the program, you and your family are invited to the 5th annual Season Ticket Holder Open Practice. You'll have the opportunity to connect with men's basketball head coach Bryce Drew, women's basketball head coach Tracey Dorow, as well as both teams!

This exclusive event for season ticket holders will be held at the ARC on Friday, Oct. 16, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. and will involve one hour of practice before concluding with a "meet-and-greet" with both teams. You will be the first group to catch a glimpse of your Crusaders as they prepare for the 2015-2016 season. A meal from Parea will be provided. This year's new customized season tickets will be handed out at the end of the event, so please stick around! If you are able to attend, we ask that you please RSVP by calling 219.464.6113 or by emailing valpo.athletics@valpo.edu with the size of your party by October 15. If you are unable to attend, season tickets will be mailed out the following day.

Details at a Glance
What: Season Ticket Holder Open Practice, dinner provided
Where: Arena in Athletics-Recreation Center
When: 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Friday, Oct. 16, ***Doors will open at 5 p.m.

We look forward to seeing you at this event and thank you again for your continued support of Valpo Basketball!

Sincerely,

Mark LaBarbera

VALPARAISO UNIVERSITY ATHLETICS

I'm out of town right now, so was unable to attend. Would someone kindly give us a recap?