• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2015 Canadian Tour

Started by VULB#62, August 09, 2015, 11:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

I thought it might be appropriate to segregate our thoughts, reactions and comments about this trip into a separate string so that the information and observations are concentrated and easily referenced in the future.  (BTW, what happened to the sports message icons? There used to be football, basketball and soccer icons but I don't see them anymore.)

The Montreal games are against much younger squads I am assuming.  And there ate two games on Sunday.  I am also assuming that we will not be able to judge minute allocation in these games as Bryce will be trying all sorts of combinations and giving everyone opportunities.  He might even divide the team into two squads -- who knows? In the remaining three games, we might begin to see more set rotations, however. Thoughts?

justducky

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 09, 2015, 11:03:13 AMHe might even divide the team into two squads -- who knows?
I think this whole Canada thing is just a ruse for the staff and players to get away from wives and girlfriends so they can sneak in a little fishing. So this division into two squads is a great idea. I can imagine the coaches and players all drawing straws with the losers having to suit up while the winners hightail it to the nearest lake.

oklahomamick

Twitter had a picture of the team exiting from their charter plane.  Does the team usually charter or fly commercial?  I have a part time job at Delta and I know the WNBA teams fly commercial.  When our team charters flights do they leave from Gary airport or the one in Valpo?   Just curious. 
CRUSADERS!!!

Valpofan00

aleavitt

Just in case anybody has missed it, we have a blog going at ValpoAthletics.com/Canada. (Cheap plug!) I'm updating it each night and doing a video with a different player getting their thoughts on the day.

I'll touch on it more in tonight's blog post (which should be finished shortly), but the first game today, against the Montreal All-Stars, was against a team of guys who have played professionally. These guys were grown men, and it showed during the game. The second game today was against an AAU squad, which Max and Tevonn both came out of.

There should be more detailed coverage available of the rest of our games. We're hopeful there will be live webcasts, whether audio or video, of at least one or two of the three upcoming games against Universities, and we'll most likely have full box scores as well. Any links for any live coverage will be available by mid-day the day of game on the schedule online.

bbtds

it seemed like there were about seven or eights travels called across the two games that would have been let go in the NCAA game. (from Aaron's blog)

It has been inherently clear that NCAA referees need to enforce the rules of basketball. Call the traveling that refs from around the world already call and the players will adjust. NCAA players should not be having to adjust to the way interbnational referees call the game when they play international games. Call the games the way they are supposed to be called. Why have the NCAA refs changed the way the NCAA games are played by calling the games the way that they do?

valporun

I'm guessing some of the rule changes in the NCAA might have had to do with television needing the officials to keep a flow to the game, and eat the whistle at key moments to add drama?

Valpower

Quote from: valporun on August 10, 2015, 12:43:52 AMI'm guessing some of the rule changes in the NCAA might have had to do with television needing the officials to keep a flow to the game, and eat the whistle at key moments to add drama?

Except that if an official is eating his whistle, it means the rule hasn't really changed.  I think we let our players travel to perpetuate the myth of American exceptionalism.

a3uge

Quote from: Valpower on August 10, 2015, 09:47:48 AM
Quote from: valporun on August 10, 2015, 12:43:52 AMI'm guessing some of the rule changes in the NCAA might have had to do with television needing the officials to keep a flow to the game, and eat the whistle at key moments to add drama?

Except that if an official is eating his whistle, it means the rule hasn't really changed.  I think we let our players travel to perpetuate the myth of American exceptionalism.
IMO, this country won't be great until our national soccer team can beat a big name country like Russia or China.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Very newsy piece - injuries I didn't know people had, etc.

Valparaiso heads to Canada in advance of expectations-filled season

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-mens-basketball-valparaiso-st-0810-20150809-story.html

vu72

Quote from: wh on August 10, 2015, 03:21:22 PM
Very newsy piece - injuries I didn't know people had, etc.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-mens-basketball-valparaiso-st-0810-20150809-story.html

Would you please copy and paste the article?  Can't view it without paying.  Thanks!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

By Michael Osipoff
Post-Tribune

Tevonn Walker spent a week at home in Montreal in May, and another in June.

The sophomore guard welcomed another opportunity to see family and friends as Valparaiso embarked on its foreign tour to Canada, with stops in Montreal and Ottawa.

The Crusaders departed Saturday and return Friday, with five games in between. Their schedule began with two games Sunday, against the Montreal All-Stars and Brookwood Elite.

David Skara's 15 points led VU to a 67-66 win in the first game, played at Vanier College, the post-high school institution Walker and fellow sophomore guard Max Joseph attended before Valparaiso. Alec Peters scored 16 points and Skara had 15 as the Crusaders won 85-60 in the second game, which was against Walker and Joseph's former AAU program.

Any words of wisdom for teammates on what to expect in Walker's home country?

"Don't expect eagles, and don't expect snow all the time," he said with a smirk.

The Crusaders are making their first such trip since 2010 to Cancun — the NCAA allows one every four years — using the allotted 10 practices and games to get a jump on what they envision will be a special season.

The return of Vashil Fernandez for a final season of eligibility pushed the Crusaders' stock even higher. However, the reigning Horizon League Defensive Player of the Year is expected to play sparingly in Canada, if at all, having barely practiced this summer because of a lingering knee problem.

How much Alec Peters plays remains to be seen. The standout junior forward has been dealing with a sprained ankle, and is "nowhere near 100 percent," coach Bryce Drew said, though he has been improving.

"I know he wants to play," Drew said. "It would be nice to get him out there for some periods of time."

The one player who has been ruled out is point guard Lexus Williams, though he remains on target for the start of the season. He missed all of last season after tearing his left ACL last August, also breaking his kneecap in January before the Crusaders' game at Green Bay.

E. Victor Nickerson, who underwent left wrist surgery on June 5, and Keith Carter, who took time off to allow his injured left big toe to heal, were limited earlier in the offseason. But both seniors are expected to be fine for the trip.

Drew has been especially anxious to see freshman center Derrik Smits and LSU transfer Shane Hammink in game conditions.

"We want to play different lineups and different people together," Drew said. "We'll get a better feel after the five games on combinations and positions."

The Crusaders on Tuesday play McGill, which won its conference regular-season title in 2014-15 and lost its title game, before facing likely their two most difficult games.

On Thursday, they play Carleton, which has won five straight national titles and 11 of the last 13. Carleton went 4-1 last summer against NCAA teams, losing to Indiana and beating Memphis, though it lost 63-59 to Murray State on Aug. 3.

On Friday, the Crusaders play two-time national runner-up Ottawa, which routed Murray State 81-57 on Aug. 2. Ottawa went 3-1 last summer, losing to Memphis and beating Indiana.

"We've been practicing hard, working for this trip, so I'm excited to get between the lines and play," junior forward Jubril Adekoya said. "We have a lot of goals for the season, so this gives us a head start to get there."

The Crusaders also have been emphasizing the non-basketball elements. Among the activities, they are scheduled to attend Mass at Notre Dame Basilica, do community service at a youth center, take a tour of Parliament, and participate in speed boat and river rafting excursions.

"A lot of the positives will be off the court, as far as being in a different culture," Drew said. "It should be impactful on their lives. It will allow us to bond as a team and a family."

bbtds

The McGill University athletics website is showing a portal for watching the Valpo at McGill game Tuesday night at 7:30 p.m. central / 8:30 p.m. eastern time from McGill's Love Competition Hall.

http://www.mcgillathletics.ca/index.aspx?path=mbball

http://portal.stretchinternet.com/mcgill/portal.htm?eventId=224049&streamType=video

McGill's roster includes 2 Americans (one from Maine and one from Vermont) and three other foreigners (Brazil, Phillipines and Nigeria).

historyman

FYI, the McGill vs Xavier women's game, which proceeds the Valpo vs McGill men's game, is going into overtime. So it looks like the Valpo game will be starting a little bit late. OT in international rules is 5 minutes also.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

oklahomamick

Big line up to start with Carter, Hammick, Skara, Peters and Vashil. 
CRUSADERS!!!

Valpofan00

Adekoya is playing absolutely horrible.

Kyle321n

Quote from: Valpofan00 on August 11, 2015, 09:11:16 PM
I think he read this because he's looked a lot better in the 4th quarter (that's weird to say).

I love our ball movement on the offensive side of the ball, but I don't think we used or size advantage enough. It's tough to get a ton set up in 15 seconds, but I would have liked to see more post ups.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

Valpofan00

Quote from: Kyle321n on August 11, 2015, 09:27:36 PM
Quote from: Valpofan00 on August 11, 2015, 09:11:16 PM
I think he read this because he's looked a lot better in the 4th quarter (that's weird to say).

I love our ball movement on the offensive side of the ball, but I don't think we used or size advantage enough. It's tough to get a ton set up in 15 seconds, but I would have liked to see more post ups.

I agree he caught fire right after I posted this!! I'm sorry I doubted you Jubril!!

Kyle321n

Smits has such a smooth jump shot. That's going to be fun.

Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valpopal

Remembering days past when the Crusaders played with one 6'7" center and very little talent beyond the starting five, I am definitely enjoying announcers describing Valpo as having "so much depth, so much size, and so much athleticism."  :)

Valpofan00

This team is going to be very very good come March. Anyone can score 15+ any given night. This is going to be a fun year! I'm very impressed with smits' jumper. Vashil needs to work on his floaters.

Chairback

This was a bottom of the horizon league team at best we played. 

We certainly have depth and probably could have won by 40+ but Bryce was changing up the lineups frequently.

jabril should not be shooting threes.  He looked terrible out there and had to have a turnover per min played.  I don't see him realistically getting more than 4 mins per game.

Hammik and skara are quite the combo out there.  Really athletic and take it to the hoop.  Good to see Max get a lot of PT.

Also like how smitts used his height to get off shots!!!!!  when he gets stronger look out. we have a good one on our hands for the future.

What a treat to watch valpo basketball in August. 

vu72

I was very impressed by a few things, Smits, for one with a smooth jump shot in the post, clearly Hamminks game and, unlike others, Jubril's improvement from the 3.  all these things make Valpo very hard to guard as one weakness in another's strength.  Alec clearly had an off night and I would expect his numbers to be down this year with all the other options on the table.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015