• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2015 Canadian Tour

Started by VULB#62, August 09, 2015, 11:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Hammink looks like a much quicker Alec Peters.  No disrespect to Mr. Peters.  The speed down the lane and reactions was just pure.  They are shooting the lights out and certainly part of that was wide open looks.  We look like a deer in headlights.  No Vashil. Is he injuried or just resting.  Very little Carter as well if I'm not mistaken.  My guess is we win in a very tight game or either get blown out by 20 or so.  Shud be a fun second half.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: nkvu on August 13, 2015, 06:51:09 PM
Game's half over and I'm still waiting for our defense to show up. Looked like they had their shoes nailed to the floor trying to get out on shooters. Don't think I saw this many open looks in any game last year. Maybe the whitewater rafting took something out of them yesterday.

Or, doing push-ups till you drop on game day. 

[tweet]631932887420416000[/tweet]

govalpogo

I don't believe I've seen E.V. either.

oklahomamick

Almost to the 4th quarter, only positive was the home run play. 
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

I've never heard more undeserved compliments for a team getting completely outplayed than we are receiving from these home team announcers.

crusader05

Quote from: wh on August 13, 2015, 07:31:57 PM
I've never heard more undeserved compliments for a team getting completely outplayed than we are receiving from these home team announcers.

Well, Canadians are known to be unfailingly polite...

nkvu

Well, a pretty good butt kicking. Not necessarily a bad thing in an exhibition game if it reminds the players that they can't win on their reputation or the fact that they have everybody back from last year.  They will have to actually play well to win.

justducky

Without Vashil, EVN and having a 70% Alec the defense was very unimpressive. Skara and Carter both looked like they would rather be somewhere doing some fishing. Not much to hang your hat on except we saw some unusual combinations  of players.

VULB#62

Turns out that Baylor played UOttawa twice yesterday.  BU won both. AM game: 92-73 and PM: 100-84.  Ours will be Ottawa's third game in two days.

VULB#62

Just checked the Baylor v. Carleton AM game
1st Qtr - Carleton 28 BU 23
Half - Carleton 39 BU37
3rd Qtr - Carleton 60 BU 56
Final - BU 72 Carleton 68  w/ 4:21 in the 4th. Have no final score yet

They play again tonight at 7:30 EST

nkvu

No webcast for tonight's game?

aleavitt

No webcast from Ottawa, but I will be attempting something new tonight and using Periscope to stream the game. For those who haven't heard of it, Periscope allows you to live stream video from your phone. So it'll be a stream from my phone on press row - no actual commentary, but there is an option for chat on the app and if there are any questions, I'll do my best to answer.

The links for each quarter will be available when they go live, and posted to Twitter at Twitter.com/ValpoBasketball.

a3uge

Quote from: aleavitt on August 14, 2015, 04:26:52 PM
No webcast from Ottawa, but I will be attempting something new tonight and using Periscope to stream the game. For those who haven't heard of it, Periscope allows you to live stream video from your phone. So it'll be a stream from my phone on press row - no actual commentary, but there is an option for chat on the app and if there are any questions, I'll do my best to answer.

The links for each quarter will be available when they go live, and posted to Twitter at Twitter.com/ValpoBasketball.
From your phone? Just make sure its horizontal, not vertical.

Kyle321n

Quote from: a3uge on August 14, 2015, 04:28:57 PM
From your phone? Just make sure its horizontal, not vertical.

Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

a3uge

Cool broadcast! Not sure the rotated camera actually even matters with periscope.

VULB#62

Baylor used Periscope for their Ottawa games.

wh

Baylor falls 79-73 in nightcap to finish with split in doubleheader at Carleton.

VULB#62

Nice writeup on the Valpo Athletics website:  http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2015-16/14765/crusaders-take-down-ottawa-to-close-out-foreign-tour/#.Vc8lasa4ko8Valparaiso

Only eight guys played, four of whom scored in double figures.  Bryce held Peters, Fernandez, EVN and Lexus out. 

Jubril had a double double  (20 pts, 10 RBs), was the leading scorer in 26 minutes of playing time and drained 6 of 6 FTs. That's not too shabby. He certainly showed he belongs in the rotation and can rise to the occasion. Shane came off the bench, played 29 minutes and hit for 14 (double figures again). The firm of Walker (11), Walker (11) & Joseph (11) accounted for 33 points  ;)  Good to see Max up there with 27 minutes.

Glad to see the boys bounce back after a terrible showing at Carleton.  Also good to see that Baylor lost to Carleton as well -- makes our loss a little less painful despite our lackluster play.  BTW, in the earlier game Baylor only won by 2 with Carleton's last shot falling off the rim.  Bet the Crusaders would like to have their game back.

We know a lot more about this team now.  Shane is gonna be a significant contributor.  Derrik showed a great upside.  The depth is evident.  But its time to rest the guys with injuries, review the goods with the bads, learn from mistakes, and look forward to a great season ahead.

a3uge

I think this tournament shows the Dunking Dutchman Jr (the Layup Dutchman?) won't get minutes above Jubril, or at least, not to start the season. Jubril looked good, strong. Smits not so much, although you can't really expect much from a freshman before even playing a D1 game. There was a sequence in the second quarter where Smits came in and surrendered two straight three pointers off a switch. Bryce yanked him shortly after. He's going to have to get comfortable guarding small-ball lineups, since Horizon teams rarely feature true centers. Before that, he did have a nice bucket from a P&R, showing he may have the best hands from a big man since KVW. The high P&R is something Valpo loves to run, and he's going to excel on offense in the future once he bulks up a bit and learns to set a strong screen.

Some things that jumped out to me:

* Hammink is a men among boys. Very excited about his defense.
* I thought Max Joseph played great. He seems a bit bigger.
* Thank you Aaron for the stream! Hope your battery was okay after that.

valpopal

With last night's terrific performance, Jubril seems to have verified my previous complimentary comments in this thread. As I had stated, his game appeared to mature in conference play last season, and with an added jump shot plus good foul shooting, his play could advance to a new level this season and only add to the already strong depth of this team.

nkvu

A cursory comparison between our performance v Baylor's against Carleton and Ottawa seems to indicate we are still 10 to 16 points or so below Baylor's level.  This seems about the same performance level we show when we play high major teams historically for the most part. However, given that Vashil wasn't available to protect the rim, that E Victor played limited minutes and that Alec was obviously dinged up for the Carleton game and didn't play at all against Ottawa makes me think we will be much closer to the Baylor level once we have all our weapons available.  Overall, I'm encouraged about this team's potential to play at a high major level once the season starts. But they will need to break through and get some wins to really get over the hump.

aleavitt

Hope all who got a chance to tune in to the Periscope enjoyed it - obviously it's not the same as an ESPN3 broadcast, or even the webcasts McGill/Carleton had, but I feel like it worked well to at least give an option to watch. Even if you did have to deal with coaches/referees blocking the view every so often! And a3uge, I was charging for the entire second half.

Final blog post is up at ValpoAthletics.com/canada - hope you have enjoyed following along with the recaps, my blog posts and the interviews with the players each night!

wh

Quote from: aleavitt on August 15, 2015, 10:43:28 AM
Hope all who got a chance to tune in to the Periscope enjoyed it - obviously it's not the same as an ESPN3 broadcast, or even the webcasts McGill/Carleton had, but I feel like it worked well to at least give an option to watch. Even if you did have to deal with coaches/referees blocking the view every so often! And a3uge, I was charging for the entire second half.

Final blog post is up at ValpoAthletics.com/canada - hope you have enjoyed following along with the recaps, my blog posts and the interviews with the players each night!

You covered the entire trip in amazing detail - trip reports, game recaps, pictures, tweets, player interviews, etc.  Thanks for all the hard work! 

justducky

Our combined 3 point shooting vs Ottawa and Carleton was 6-34. One of our biggest strengths turned out to be a weakness. Lucky to have escaped with a split!

covufan

Quote from: aleavitt on August 15, 2015, 10:43:28 AM

Great Stuff!  Thanks!