• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2015

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, April 17, 2013, 07:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vufan75

Yep. It was I with the original scoop. Though to be fair I did not use full last name. I used only  Levingston and not Levingston Simon. So 72 should get some credit for using what apparently is the "full" last name.  ;)

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on September 02, 2014, 07:36:48 PM
While I appreciate the thought, it was actually vufan75, right?

hang on i'll check...

I hate it when you make us wait like that to look up an answer. Could you have your answer ready before you hit the reply key? My time is money!

http://etribuneblogs.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/angry-senior-man-looking-and-pointing-at-his-watch-isolated-on-white-background-not-in-time-too.jpg?w=600

LaPorteAveApostle

Sure; as soon as you learn to embed.

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Oh, I know how to embed, if you know what I mean:

historyman

Quote from: bbtds on September 03, 2014, 03:49:21 PMOh, I know how to embed, if you know what I mean:

bbtds really nailed that one, right between the eyes

or that's an interesting form of acupuncture.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Surprised to hear Matt Holba has committed to Lehigh.

valpopal

The Crusaders have extended an offer to 6'11" Rokas Ulvydas, a Lithuanian attending Mt. Zion Prep. Also, Valpo was to visit and watch 7'0" Derrik Smits today.

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on September 16, 2014, 02:43:03 PM
The Crusaders have extended an offer to 6'11" Rokas Ulvydas, a Lithuanian attending Mt. Zion Prep. Also, Valpo was to visit and watch 7'0" Derrik Smits today.

Smits might be a tough get.  He is a 3 star wholding an IU offer.

Ulvydas is a 2 star with an offer from Towson.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Hey, I'd take the Lithuanian!  When you see the name, you wonder if the other kid is related to Rik Smits.  Then you Google, and look, his son!

http://247sports.com/Player/Derrik-Smits-20911
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on September 16, 2014, 03:14:01 PM
Hey, I'd take the Lithuanian!  When you see the name, you wonder if the other kid is related to Rik Smits.  Then you Google, and look, his son!

Are you saying that Valpo is trying to get it's Smits together? About time! And the son of a former Pacer to boot.

He would be our first real German since Fumey never did play. Or am I forgetting someone?

wh

Quote from: valpopal on September 16, 2014, 02:43:03 PM

Is Tony Vilcinskas the last (only?) Lithuanian to play for Valpo?  I see Tony's and Ulvydas' hometowns are only 60 miles apart.

wh

Quote from: bbtds on September 16, 2014, 04:00:10 PM

Are you saying that Valpo is trying to get it's Smits together? About time! And the son of a former Pacer to boot.

He would be our first real German since Fumey never did play. Or am I forgetting someone?

His dad "the Flying Dutchman" might take offense to that.   ;)

bbtds

Quote from: wh on September 16, 2014, 06:19:02 PM
Quote from: bbtds on September 16, 2014, 04:00:10 PM

His dad "the Flying Dutchman" might take offense to that.   ;)

Well, that's embarrassing. I really thought Smits was german. It's all grieken to me.

So do you think the Broekhoff/Van Wijk connection could help with this one or probably just Bryce and the pastor.

VULB#62

Actually Wiki says he was the "Dunkin' Dutchman" which makes a bit more sense (except if you look at his life after the NBA).
Rik Smits (born August 23, 1966) is a retired Dutch professional basketball player who spent his entire professional career with the Indiana Pacers of the National Basketball Association. The 7'4" (2.24 m) center was drafted by the Pacers out of Marist College with the second overall pick in the 1988 NBA Draft. The Dutch-born player was nicknamed "The Dunkin' Dutchman".

Can you believe this?
Life after the NBA
In his retirement, Smits is devoting his time to collecting and racing vintage motocross motorcycles. On November 30, 2011, the erstwhile Marist and Pacers center was featured in a www.LostLetterman.com article, via Yahoo! Sports, about his formal participation in competitive motorcross racing.

I can't imagine a 7'4 guy on a motocross bike -- at least not a regulation size one.

valpotx

We had KVW and a current Dutchmen!
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Now that I've thought about it Derrik Smits is no different than many of us who were raised in Indiana most of our lives.

I remember Rik doing an episode of Parks and Rec.

I think the Smits still live here in Indy.

Derrik's citizenship is American, no?

LaPorteAveApostle

vufan75

Quote from: vusupporter on August 19, 2014, 03:21:28 PM
[tweet]500251205017542656[/tweet]

Valpo lost out to Drake, as this player committed to Drake back late in August.  :(

valporun

Quote from: vufan75 on September 18, 2014, 06:41:48 AM

Valpo lost out to Drake, as this player committed to Drake back late in August.  :(

I guess Drake looked like a better campus than Valaparaiso did?

bbtds

Quote from: valporun on September 19, 2014, 12:04:13 AMI guess Drake looked like a better campus than Valaparaiso did?

valpotx

I'll see your 6'8" Norwegian, and raise you a 6'11" Lithuanian :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Quote from: valporun on September 19, 2014, 12:04:13 AM
Quote from: vufan75 on September 18, 2014, 06:41:48 AM

I guess Drake looked like a better campus than Valaparaiso did?

He started from the bottom, now he's there.

LaPorteAveApostle

Gosh I've missed you guys.

Never change.