• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

What to do on your summer vacation...

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, June 04, 2013, 08:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

I got a chance to watch David Skara work out for several minutes this morning.  He and Alec Peters were taking turns receiving low post feeds from Roger Powell.  I came away very impressed.  He is built a lot like Alec - long, lean and muscular.  He has a quick first step, a good jump hook, running hook and dunked with ease off a variety of post moves.  Alec looked VERY good by the way - very quick and demonstrated a lot of athleticism.

Remember what ca said about Skara:

"They're getting a steal, a complete steal," said Chris Artis, the associate head coach of Midwest Elite's post-graduate team who recently was named the coach of the newly created high school team.

"He's going to be really, really good, and he's only going to get better. He's a basketball sponge, works real hard, high IQ, deceptively athletic. He has that Euro step down, long stride and he can dunk on you.

I think we got a good one here.  :)

bbtds

Quote from: wh on July 31, 2014, 01:09:38 PM
I got a chance to watch David Skara work out for several minutes this morning.  He and Alec Peters were taking turns receiving low post feeds from Roger Powell.  I came away very impressed.  He is built a lot like Alec - long, lean and muscular.  He has a quick first step, a good jump hook, running hook and dunked with ease off a variety of post moves.  Alec looked VERY good by the way - very quick and demonstrated a lot of athleticism.

"They're getting a steal, a complete steal," said Chris Artis, the associate head coach of Midwest Elite's post-graduate team who recently was named the coach of the newly created high school team.

"He's going to be really, really good, and he's only going to get better. He's a basketball sponge, works real hard, high IQ, deceptively athletic. He has that Euro step down, long stride and he can dunk on you.

No offense, wh, but I'd almost wish you weren't that impressed and thought those players needed a lot more work. It always starts with the fans being overly impressed and the players stay fairly flat in their improvement line (as on a graph) over their four years because they might feel they don't need to work as much on their skills because they might have read on a message board that fans were impressed with their play. Hasn't it always been the players who "need work" and are truly motivated by their personal goals that make the biggest impact at Valpo's level of Div. I? Dority, Emsminger, Huff, Oppland and many others.

On the other hand there are others who we were overly impressed with when they came to Valpo but didn't make many strides in improvement that don't need mentioning.

wh

Quote from: bbtds on July 31, 2014, 05:33:03 PM
Quote from: wh on July 31, 2014, 01:09:38 PM

No offense, wh, but I'd almost wish you weren't that impressed and thought those players needed a lot more work. It always starts with the fans being overly impressed and the players stay fairly flat in their improvement line (as on a graph) over their four years because they might feel they don't need to work as much on their skills because they might have read on a message board that fans were impressed with their play. Hasn't it always been the players who "need work" and are truly motivated by their personal goals that make the biggest impact at Valpo's level of Div. I? Dority, Emsminger, Huff, Oppland and many others.

On the other hand there are others who we were overly impressed with when they came to Valpo but didn't make many strides in improvement that don't need mentioning.

No offense taken at all.  In fact, I'm grateful that someone wants to talk a little VU basketball.  :)

vu72

So how do you see David fitting into the lineup?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: vu72 on July 31, 2014, 07:16:31 PM
So how do you see David fitting into the lineup?

Not having observed him on the perimeter it's tough to say. A wild guess is he will back up the 3 and secondarily the 4. I hope he's up to the challenge.  We have an abundance of back court players but not a lot of depth in the front court.

wh

Quote from: wh on July 28, 2014, 11:08:58 AM
My 11-year-old grandson is participating in Bryce's week-long bb camp, which began this morning.  All of the assistants and most of the players were on-hand to work with the kids.  I could tell our little guy was pretty star-struck.  :)

Interestingly, Moussa was there, as well.

What a camp!  Every instructional mechanism known to mankind was jammed into 40 fun-filled, (appropriately) intense hours.  Without exception, the coaches and players were enthusiastic and worked hard to make every hour count.  Every activity was organized and run like clockwork. Luke Gore was the organizer and leader and deserves special credit for a job well done.  Yesterday's closing ceremonies were especially cool.  With the house lights down and the music turned up, each camper was given a personal spot light intro, the same way our starting lineup is introduced at home games.  Finally, all campers received a basketball to keep and the players and coaches stationed themselves across the gym with pen in hand to autograph them.  My daughter told me that on the way home my grandson sincerely thanked her for spending the money to send him.  She said, "You're welcome; I'm glad you liked it."  He replied, "I didn't like like it, I LOVED it."  :)