• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Manning taking wake forest job leads to mention of Bryce in tulsaworld newspaper

Started by oklahomamick, April 04, 2014, 02:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

It doesn't mean anything and from what I read on this board, Bryce turned it down a couple years ago. Bryce's name was mentioned as a candidate in the local newspaper for the TU job. Even if it means nothing I do like valpo and Bryce getting some free press in my local paper.

Tulsa will once again be looking for a new basketball coach after losing another bright coaching star. Some possibilities that have surfaced are Florida-Gulf Coast coach Joe Dooley, a former Kansas assistant with Manning, and current KU assistant Norm Roberts. Valparaiso coach Bryce Drew has also been mentioned as a possibility. Gragg said no timeline for finding a new coach has been established.

http://www.newson6.com/story/25162906/manning-to-leave-tulsa-for-wake-forest
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

His name came up the last time Tulsa was looking for a coach as you mentioned.  Tulsa is not an upgrade over Valpo in basketball, or really anything in general :)...
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Tulsa has had some great basketball tradition over the years,l liley more so than Valpo.  That being said, the Tulsa media thinking they can get a top level coach is analogous to Notre Dame thinking they can get Nick Saban or Pete Carroll as a head coach.

ARCInsider

Quote from: valpotx on April 04, 2014, 03:10:36 PM
His name came up the last time Tulsa was looking for a coach as you mentioned.  Tulsa is not an upgrade over Valpo in basketball, or really anything in general :)...

4 Sweet 16s, 1 Elite 8, 12 NCAA tourney wins, 2 NIT championships, and a coaching tree including Norm Richardson, Bill Self, and Tubby Smith...let's be serious.  They play in C-USA.

I don't think Bryce will leave for Tulsa, but it's a clear upgrade.

ARCInsider

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 04, 2014, 05:15:44 PM
Tulsa has had some great basketball tradition over the years,l liley more so than Valpo.  That being said, the Tulsa media thinking they can get a top level coach is analogous to Notre Dame thinking they can get Nick Saban or Pete Carroll as a head coach.

Where did they mention a top level coach?  I didn't see it in that snippet.

oklahomamick

They have had success, unfortunately more than valpo.  It's a top 100 academic school as well.  In Mannings meeting with president and ad, academic reform or academic lenience for athletes was a top subject.  It's a beautiful campus (in which I live walking distance from) with a big oil endowment playing in the American conference next year. 

Each time a coach has success here, he leaves for bcs type schools.  Let's face it, Bryce would have already left us for better facilities and etc, if he weren't a hometown hero.  Tulsa needs to get one so they stop leaving.  My boy Shea seals is on staff and is the all time scorer for TU.  hopefully he gets an opportunity and they leave Bryce alone. 
CRUSADERS!!!

usc4valpo

Bryce Drew's stock is low right now.  Decent suitors are looking to grab him for a coaching job. I think in 2 years the suitors will be after him again as his stock will go up.

Tulsa has had some great teams in the past.  The Golden Hurricanes have had much more success than Valpo.  Nolan Richardson was awesome there and they had some very successful, fun teams.   They lost to UCLA in the tourney, but in reality the Bruins has a great team.

valpotx

My comment is related to recent success and how we would do against Tulsa.  I am not talking about overall history.  If Valpo played Tulsa, it would traditionally be a close matchup. 

In regards to academics, you cannot say that it is a top 100 academic school, in a generic statement like that.  There are a ton of different rankings, and the one you are referring to is 83rd best national research university.  The US News and World Report doesn't ever state a generic top 100 schools overall, but rather divides them up into different categories, which you cannot truly compare against the other categories.  Maybe it is my dislike for Oklahoma that caused me to clarify your comment ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Yes a top 100 national research university.  Failed to label it, "national research university" to original post.  I believe this category, yet different from the other numerous categories, is perceived to be the elite or top category.  I don't know the reasonings for your dislike towards oklahoma that lead to your clarification, but I suppose it's appreciated as it cleared up any inaccuracies. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 06, 2014, 09:06:05 PM
Yes a top 100 national research university.  Forgot to add, "national research university" to original post.  I also forgot that Texas is always bigger and better. 

True enough. US News ranks them #86 but Texas Austin, Texas A & M, Rice, SMU, Baylor and TCU all rank higher.  I would think an 86 ranking would equate, undegrad, rather nicely to a top 10 regional University ranking.  ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

Quote from: vu72 on April 06, 2014, 09:32:08 PMTrue enough. US News ranks them #86 but Texas Austin, Texas A & M, Rice, SMU, Baylor and TCU all rank higher.  I would think an 86 ranking would equate, undegrad, rather nicely to a top 10 regional University ranking. 

I suppose that's correct.  Similar to Penn being a top 10 regional rank behind other northeast schools such as Princeton, Harvard, MIT, Columbia and Yale. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

You seriously don't understand the dislike for Oklahoma by Texans?  Most Texans think of Oklahoma as their little step-brother that we get to make fun of lol.  Also, we played against ORU in baseball, and I loathe ORU, so I especially dislike Tulsa :).

Edit: FYI, it doesn't mean that I dislike all Oklahomans, just that I like to make fun of you ;).
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 06, 2014, 10:09:32 PM
Quote from: vu72 on April 06, 2014, 09:32:08 PMTrue enough. US News ranks them #86 but Texas Austin, Texas A & M, Rice, SMU, Baylor and TCU all rank higher.  I would think an 86 ranking would equate, undegrad, rather nicely to a top 10 regional University ranking. 

I suppose that's correct.  Similar to Penn being a top 10 regional rank behind other northeast schools such as Princeton, Harvard, MIT, Columbia and Yale.

Slight correction:  Penn is #7 in the 2014 top10 National universities.

usc4valpo

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

oklahomamick

We probably share our distaste for oru and I worked there for two years.  Really happy I chose valpo over oru (or any other choice I had).  To be fair though, majority of oru baseball team is not from oklahoma. 

I get it.  We do the same with Arkansas.  I would think oklahoma would be a step up from your other border of Louisiana and they would be the little brother.  Maybe it's just jealousy of our sooner football program.  I'm sure the longhorns will compete again.
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

Haha, I am not a Longhorn fan, but I am sure that is the reason for a decent amount of Texans.  My reasoning has to do with playing in tournaments against teams from Oklahoma often while growing up.  In regards to Louisiana, they are barely on most Texans radars, so you should enjoy being picked over them ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"