• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Clay Yeo... is Transferring.

Started by a3uge, June 29, 2014, 03:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUfan

I wish him well. Glad we got to know ya!   :-[

valpopal

Quote from: usc4valpo on June 30, 2014, 06:03:32 PM
Pal, I wish him well and I respect your viewpoints, but in reality 1) he will be attending a school with a lower academic reputations (per test scores and whatever media you find), 2) he will have to find a way to find cash to go to school as opposed to relying on a full ride scholarship, and 3) relationships can wait when you are 19 or 20.  These are not the days of Little House on the Prairie anymore.

Then again, there is probably more that meets the eye in this situation.

Thanks, usc. I agree that Bethel is not on the level with Valparaiso academically, but it is a good college and it has the advantage of being near Notre Dame; therefore, its students can access that university's resources, lectures, entertainment, and arts as well. It is certainly superior academically to many Division I basketball universities. Also, my understanding is that Bethel is an NAIA school that does offer athletic scholarships since 90% of NAIA schools do. As for relationships, that is personal to every individual. Still, as I said previously, Clay is sacrificing a bit to make this move, which he must believe is beneficial overall to him. Nevertheless, I'm pleased that as a group we seem to be wishing Clay well.

IndyValpo

Quote from: usc4valpo on June 30, 2014, 06:03:32 PM
Pal, I wish him well and I respect your viewpoints, but in reality 1) he will be attending a school with a lower academic reputations (per test scores and whatever media you find), 2) he will have to find a way to find cash to go to school as opposed to relying on a full ride scholarship, and 3) relationships can wait when you are 19 or 20.  These are not the days of Little House on the Prairie anymore.

Then again, there is probably more that meets the eye in this situation.
First off Bethel plays in NAIA and I am pretty sure they give scholarships. The Crossroads Conference is a good conference. The lower academic standards is also true but if you plan on living near South Bend I guess it matters less.

Pathfinder

I always told my kids "Until and unless you've got a wedding ring, don't move to be with your boyfriend/girlfriend."

crusadermoe

Ditto on the ring thing.   Seems like a high school attitude.  Maybe they had lockers next to each other in HS and there was a concern that last year it took an extra 15 minutes to get to her place. 

If that is the case at least don't say it.   Bye bye.

vu72

I may have come across as a little hard on Clay.  We won't ever know the true motivations.  Still, the facts are that playing D1 requires a whole different level of commitment from NAIA.  It is an around the clock effort and somehow it seems that Clay wasn't up to it.  Nothing bad about that other than he said he could do it and accepted a full ride.

If the effort wasn't there for whatever reason, then it is best for all that he move closer to home and the less committed level of basketball associated with his present level.

I think there is another message gained from this situation...When was the last time an Indiana All Star decided that he was better suited to NAIA?  Does this  say anything about the level of player currently on our roster?  I think so...

All the best...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpospartan

If I'm not mistaken, Clay verbally committed to VU in his Jr. year. that fall, he and his mother sat behind us at a VU game.  They both were really thrilled that he would be playing here.  Granted, he was young, but surely they had to realize that he would be a few (and only a few) miles from home. I find it difficult to believe that the reason given is THE reason he is leaving.  I, for one, am really sorry that he is leaving.

a3uge

Quote from: Pathfinder on June 30, 2014, 07:50:38 PM
I always told my kids "Until and unless you've got a wedding ring, don't move to be with your boyfriend/girlfriend."

Lol

valpotx

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on June 30, 2014, 12:58:12 PM
Too far from home? Give me a break......that is the worst excuse he could have given. Oh well...

Welcome to Texas ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

sliman

Sure didn't take long to get photos in a Bethel uniform!  Must have been a done-deal well in advance of the announcement.

valpopal

Hey, nice to find I get a cameo in Bethel's video of Clay's highlights, and they used my photos for the closing collage. At least, they credited me.

Quote from: hoopfan22 on July 01, 2014, 08:52:47 AM
Bethel is an NAIA D2. They give scholarships. Bethel got the info out there quickly!
https://twitter.com/bethelhoops/status/483728391661555713

jack

From another angle, I feel for the coaches, recruiters, and program when things like this happen. Maybe more needs to be made of a prospect's phycological and mental state prior to extending an offer of a scholarship. Many, many hours of time and travel are invested on these recruiting campaigns to hopefully find the right player to fit into a given scheme and system. Many players don't fit into emmediate plans, but are brought in to fill future voids. We are also losing a practice player to boot. You certainly wish a leaving player well, but there needs to be more in place to protect the school, and their investment also. Possibly a manditory year of abscence from the game regarless if they are moving down (D2) or not.
The same thing happened on the girls side with Ladd. She didn't even make it through a season. Left because she was "homesick". She was alllowed to pick right up with her new team the following season. Keith brought in players to build around, and compliment her play, and her exit changed the entire program.
Like everyone else, I wish Yeo well, but personally, I think there needs to be a stiffer penalty when players leave like this. It may force them to have a serious heart to heart and weigh all of their options before they commit to a program that is counting on them for their entire college career. JMO.   

LaPorteAveApostle

Ironic that wh compared Yeo to Scott Blum (admittedly in a different respect) but now they share another distinction. :/

Quote from: wh on April 20, 2013, 07:33:09 PM
Is Triton's Clay Yeo our first recruit from North Central Indiana since Scot Blum (O.D.) 25 years ago? 
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

I wish we had a better topic, but I'm really enjoying reading all the insightful comments.  I'm beginning to get energized about a new season of VU basketball.   

LaPorteAveApostle

Oren weighs in:

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/does-valparaiso-have-a-transfer-problem/article_e5e6e02c-00ae-11e4-bbb4-001a4bcf887a.html

I think the obvious answer is obvious because correct--we may have a transfer problem--but only because EVERYONE has a transfer problem these days.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

I just have a feeling there is more than meet the eye with this situation.  You live one hour away - I cannot realistically see how homesickness and a girlfriend can be a factor.  We live in the internet world for crying out loud.

vu72

I just checked Alec Peters Twitter page and know comment on Clay.  anybody else see/hear any comments?  I man, how about a "good luck buddy" or something?  Perhaps there is more to the story or players have been told to stand down.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: valpotx on July 01, 2014, 01:47:35 AM
Quote from: okinawatyphoon on June 30, 2014, 12:58:12 PM
Too far from home? Give me a break......that is the worst excuse he could have given. Oh well...

Welcome to Texas ;)

Thanks tx! Just moved to San Antonio two weeks ago. First time in Texas but loving it so far!
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

Smj

Really enjoyed watching Yeo...  I don't want to sound bitter when I share this statement but my wife said only a fool would pick a girl over D1 basketball.   If there is not more to the story it is quite disappointing.   Maybe it is simple - he was not happy that he was not the star like in high school.

When we got this group I thought we would lose a couple....

justducky

Quote from: wh on July 01, 2014, 01:39:23 PM
I wish we had a better topic, but I'm really enjoying reading all the insightful comments.  I'm beginning to get energized about a new season of VU basketball.   
Not there yet but as with every time you get kicked in the shins it will always feel much better once it quits hurting.  :'(

Quote from: usc4valpo on July 01, 2014, 06:07:45 PMI cannot realistically see how homesickness and a girlfriend can be a factor.  We live in the internet world for crying out loud.

All of the loves of my life (will post a count for you when I get them tallied up) were pre-internet and therefore of no value towards delving into Clay's mindset.

Hey! Show of hands! All for getting Bethel back on our exhibition schedule.  :thumbsup:

valpotx

Interesting!  I didn't know that Cameron Witt was because of academics.  I thought that he was told that he wouldn't be playing, so we honored his scholarship to finish his degree.
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

A few comments on Oren's column. First off no list should have walk-ons. I love having them but one leaving in no way reflects a program. 

Second, I am pretty sure I saw Kurth speak at his senior day so although health stopped him from playing I would not list him either.

I for one would not have listed Yeo as the returning player with the most potential.  I liked him, I wish he was staying, but...

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: IndyValpo on July 02, 2014, 07:18:50 AMFirst off no list should have walk-ons.
Excellent point.  No offense (no pun intended there), but if they were important enough to matter in the grand scheme, they would be important enough to have received some money.

Quote from: IndyValpo on July 02, 2014, 07:18:50 AMSecond, I am pretty sure I saw Kurth speak at his senior day so although health stopped him from playing I would not list him either.
Wait...he was on there?  (rereads)  OK, it wasn't a "transfer" list, but a "players who have left the program" list.  You're right, Kurth doesn't qualify.  If this were a "players who did not fulfill the entirety of their eligibility once at VU" then, yeah, he could be on that list.

But he spoke at Sr Night, so game set match IV.

a3uge

Quote from: IndyValpo on July 02, 2014, 07:18:50 AM
A few comments on Oren's column. First off no list should have walk-ons. I love having them but one leaving in no way reflects a program. 

Second, I am pretty sure I saw Kurth speak at his senior day so although health stopped him from playing I would not list him either.

I for one would not have listed Yeo as the returning player with the most potential.  I liked him, I wish he was staying, but...

I totally agree with this. I think Yeo was a bit too lanky and thin for a small forward and he didn't have the ball handling skills for a guard. I feel like he would have grow into a Matt Kenny role if he bulked up a bit. But without the size he would have been buried to the bench underneath the new guards. I definitely think Carter has NBA summer league invite potential and Jubril and Peters have the most potential after that.