• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where in the world is/was

Started by IndyValpo, February 03, 2012, 02:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Former assistant coach Matt Bowen  named the University of Minnesota Duluth's head men's basketball coach:

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news.php?id=6655

LaPorteAveApostle

Congrats, Matt!  We should have a VU coaching tree genealogy!

Also, on the list in the link from the original post...HARRY BELL!  Did anyone else see that he had 6 years on a team in Germany--through 2005?

Our "original D1 star"--still playing to just shy of 40!  Wow.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

http://www.usbasket.com/team.asp?Cntry=USA&Team=758&Page=4

Also...anyone else notice that it lists Bryce as being both American and Italian?  (Among a couple of others listed with dual nationality/citizenship).  (Note:  it's not saying he played in Italy--I know he did--but that he IS Italian--

Finally--Sam Haanpaa...not on the list.  On their site, but not our list.  Interesting.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Congrats to Matt.  He made a wise decision to capitalize on the most successful year Bemidji's ever had, to move to a better program.  It also shows the difference in coaching salaries between D-1 and D-2, as it states he will be making only $78k/year
"Don't mess with Texas"

KL31NY

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 04, 2012, 10:02:39 PM

Also...anyone else notice that it lists Bryce as being both American and Italian?  (Among a couple of others listed with dual nationality/citizenship).  (Note:  it's not saying he played in Italy--I know he did--but that he IS Italian--

Finally--Sam Haanpaa...not on the list.  On their site, but not our list.  Interesting.
And yet look who is listed as a former Crusader player
Hamga Beas    6'11'' (210)    C    88    Cameroonian    2012    UAB (NCAA1)
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

vuweathernerd

Quote from: KL31NY on May 05, 2012, 10:33:10 AM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 04, 2012, 10:02:39 PM

And yet look who is listed as a former Crusader player
Hamga Beas    6'11'' (210)    C    88    Cameroonian    2012    UAB (NCAA1)

surprising, considering he never played a game in a valpo uniform, while haanpaa played two years.

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on May 04, 2012, 09:39:25 PM
Former assistant coach Matt Bowen  named the University of Minnesota Duluth's head men's basketball coach:

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news.php?id=6655

Congrats to Matt.  His bio doesn't mention it, but I believe he is also the grandson of former Indiana Governor Bowen, who is still doing well at 94.  Matt is also a great-grandson of a VU grad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otis_Bowen

justducky

Quote from: covufan on May 07, 2012, 01:22:30 PMCongrats to Matt.  His bio doesn't mention it, but I believe he is also the grandson of former Indiana Governor Bowen, who is still doing well at 94.  Matt is also a great-grandson of a VU grad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otis_Bowen
Looks like a step up from my vantage point so my congratulations are extended to Matt also.

Doc  Bowens name had recently come up in conversation and all of us thought he was dead, glad to learn otherwise. A solid respected conservative before conservatism was the in thing, it is ironic that in todays republican party he might also face a challenge from the right much like Dick Lugar will face tomorrow. How the world has changed!

bbtds

I remember when Governor Bowen drove up from Indy because he was on the Valpo board of directors. I ran into one of his state troopers, not in uniform but a suit, standing inside a door at Christ College. I started to pull on the door that I knew would be locked so that this tall black big guy would let me in. He opened the door but said he couldn't let me in and that the building was closed for the evening. I remember getting upset and asking who he thought he was telling me I couldn't get into the building. He showed me his badge and said he was with Governor Bowen who was in the building attending a meeting. I cowardly walked away and headed for my car.

lowposter

bbtds

I know someone had reported on the basketball career of Andrew Ferry (he now calls himself Drew) who played his freshman year at Valpo. He transferred to Cornell and didn't finish too bad.

http://www.cornellbigred.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=23335

2011-12
A team co-captain, Ferry started all 28 games for the Big Red and averaged 11.3 points to rank second on the team. He led the Ivy League in 3-pointers (84), ranking 10th in the country with his average of 3.0 per game. Ferry also averaged career highs of 3.1 rebounds, 1.3 assists and set a career-best with his 22 steals. Ferry scored in double figures 12 times with three 20-point games and became the 17th player in Big Red history to hit at least 100 3-pointers in a career. Ferry scored a career-high 26 points against Albany in an overtime win and had 20 points against both Lehigh and Penn State. Ferry recorded 17 points and six rebounds at Penn and notched 14 points and four rebounds in the win at Brown. His 164 career 3-pointers ranks sixth all-time in Big Red history, while his .390 shooting sits sixth.

2010-11
In his first season with the Big Red, Ferry averaged 11.9 points, 2.1 rebounds, 1.3 assists and 0.9 steals. He was first on the team with 80 3-point field goals, as well as second in both scoring average and minutes per game (29.0). After going 4-of-21 from beyond the arc in his first three contests (19 percent), Ferry hit 76-of-184 in his last 25 (41 percent). Ferry shot 39 percent from 3-point range and led the team in free-throw percentage at 87 percent. After coming off the bench in his first five games, Ferry broke into the starting lineup with a career-high 22 points, including six 3-pointers, in a loss at Boston University. Ferry averaged 11.5 points while hitting 7-of-19 3-pointers in road games at nationally ranked Syracuse and Minnesota. He was named to the all-tournament team at the Richmond Marriott Holidays on the Hardwood tournament at VCU, averaging 18.0 points in the two contests. Ferry notched a career-high 25 points on 8-of-9 field goal shooting, including 7-of-8 from 3-point range, in the win over Southern Conference champion Wofford. He scored a game-high 18 points with four rebounds against Buffalo and scored 11 points with two rebounds, two assists and two steals in the win over Stony Brook. Ferry connected on seven 3-pointers en route to 23 points at Columbia then hit three 3-pointers in a comeback win against Brown. On Senior Day against Yale, Ferry had a team-high 15 points.

FWalum

Quote from: bbtds on June 22, 2012, 12:27:04 AMHe transferred to Cornell and didn't finish too bad.

I'd say that might be a little bit of an understatement. 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

I like to casually follow guys that leave our program at some point, and he definitely had the better career of any that I know.  I wouldn't say that Wood did better at MSU than at Valpo, only because he was not their main option like he was here.  Aris Williams didn't do much at South Florida, Oumar Sylla started a lot of games, but didn't produce much of anything besides turnovers at Richmond (as a 6'7" PG), Vincent Humphrey did well enough at Northern Kentucky (though at the lower D-2 level), DeAndre Haskins did decent at Chaminade, etc.

I will be very interested to see what Richie Edwards and Jay Harris produce at ASU and Wagner though.
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: bbtds on June 22, 2012, 12:27:04 AM
I know someone had reported on the basketball career of Andrew Ferry (he now calls himself Drew) who played his freshman year at Valpo. He transferred to Cornell and didn't finish too bad.

http://www.cornellbigred.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=23335

2011-12
A team co-captain, Ferry started all 28 games for the Big Red and averaged 11.3 points to rank second on the team. He led the Ivy League in 3-pointers (84), ranking 10th in the country with his average of 3.0 per game. Ferry also averaged career highs of 3.1 rebounds, 1.3 assists and set a career-best with his 22 steals. Ferry scored in double figures 12 times with three 20-point games and became the 17th player in Big Red history to hit at least 100 3-pointers in a career. Ferry scored a career-high 26 points against Albany in an overtime win and had 20 points against both Lehigh and Penn State. Ferry recorded 17 points and six rebounds at Penn and notched 14 points and four rebounds in the win at Brown. His 164 career 3-pointers ranks sixth all-time in Big Red history, while his .390 shooting sits sixth.

2010-11
In his first season with the Big Red, Ferry averaged 11.9 points, 2.1 rebounds, 1.3 assists and 0.9 steals. He was first on the team with 80 3-point field goals, as well as second in both scoring average and minutes per game (29.0). After going 4-of-21 from beyond the arc in his first three contests (19 percent), Ferry hit 76-of-184 in his last 25 (41 percent). Ferry shot 39 percent from 3-point range and led the team in free-throw percentage at 87 percent. After coming off the bench in his first five games, Ferry broke into the starting lineup with a career-high 22 points, including six 3-pointers, in a loss at Boston University. Ferry averaged 11.5 points while hitting 7-of-19 3-pointers in road games at nationally ranked Syracuse and Minnesota. He was named to the all-tournament team at the Richmond Marriott Holidays on the Hardwood tournament at VCU, averaging 18.0 points in the two contests. Ferry notched a career-high 25 points on 8-of-9 field goal shooting, including 7-of-8 from 3-point range, in the win over Southern Conference champion Wofford. He scored a game-high 18 points with four rebounds against Buffalo and scored 11 points with two rebounds, two assists and two steals in the win over Stony Brook. Ferry connected on seven 3-pointers en route to 23 points at Columbia then hit three 3-pointers in a comeback win against Brown. On Senior Day against Yale, Ferry had a team-high 15 points.

Thanks for the info.  Wasn't he a walk-on his freshman year?

vu72

Yes he was a walk-on at Valpo.  His father is the President of Concordia University Wisconsin (LCMS) and interviewed for Valpo's Presidency which ultimately went to Mark Heckler.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on June 25, 2012, 12:38:51 PM
Yes he was a walk-on at Valpo.  His father is the President of Concordia University Wisconsin (LCMS) and interviewed for Valpo's Presidency which ultimately went to Mark Heckler.

Rev. Dr. Patrick Ferry, Drew Ferry's dad, is president of Concordia University Wisconsin which is in the Milwaukee suburb of Mequon. CUW's enrollment is larger than Valpo's at 7,400, although 3,100 of those are post graduate students. CUW was founded in 1881 and was part of the 10 school Concordia University system run by the LCMS until 1990 when the CUW board of regents petitioned the LCMS for full university status which was granted. Noted alumni of CUW are Andre' Carson, congressman from the city of Indianapolis and a muslim, Rev. Walt Wangerin Jr., Valpo professor of literature, theology and creative writing who has authored over 30 novels, Rev. Martin E. Marty, theological scholar and philosopher and Rev. Ken Klaus, former speaker of the Lutheran Hour. CUW has a pharmacy school and nursing school.

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on June 25, 2012, 01:17:33 PM
Quote from: vu72 on June 25, 2012, 12:38:51 PM

Rev. Dr. Patrick Ferry, Drew Ferry's dad, is president of Concordia University Wisconsin which is in the Milwaukee suburb of Mequon. CUW's enrollment is larger than Valpo's at 7,400, although 3,100 of those are post graduate students. CUW was founded in 1881 and was part of the 10 school Concordia University system run by the LCMS until 1990 when the CUW board of regents petitioned the LCMS for full university status which was granted. Noted alumni of CUW are Andre' Carson, congressman from the city of Indianapolis and a muslim, Rev. Walt Wangerin Jr., Valpo professor of literature, theology and creative writing who has authored over 30 novels, Rev. Martin E. Marty, theological scholar and philosopher and Rev. Ken Klaus, former speaker of the Lutheran Hour. CUW has a pharmacy school and nursing school.

The 7400 number is pretty disceptive as they have 11 locations including St. Louis.  I'm pretty sure Valpo's 4000 students in one location is much bigger than the number of students at their main campus.  Part of our growth plan includes openning other locations like the recently announced location in Chicago.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

humbleopinion

The 7400 has to be just Concordia Mequon.  As you noted there are quite a few "Concordias," and I have to believe that they average out to more than 700 students  per campus.
Beamin' Beacons

VULB#62

I drive by the campus on I-43 semi-frequently.  It is a hybrid residential/commuter/graduate/extension type of school -- therefore, the high enrollment numbers. I have a cousin from New Mexico who lives on campus and I also see large parking lots filled with WI-registered cars at practically any hour of the day.  There are multiple billboards around Milwaukee similar to the University of Phoenix.  I'd guess the core undergraduate resident and full-time commuter enrollment to be in the 3,000 range -- the 7400  then addresses the PT/Grad add-ons.  Dr. Ferry must be commended on the aggressive approach he has taken to grow the university.  But, on the other hand, CUW is located in a suburb of a metropolitan area that, within a 30 minute drive, will connect with a million people.  Being 40 (?) miles from downtown Chicago, Valpo is different in that regard.

Below is the Wikipedia graph of enrollment.  It reflects a go-get'em approach to increasing enrollment. Cool, but not in the Valpo model.

bbtds

CUW Daily Chapel 5/11/12 Pres. Rev. Dr Patrick Ferry

Here is a youtube video of the Rev. Dr. Patrick Ferry giving the Chapel talk at the 5/11/12 Chapel service at CUW's Chapel of Christ Triumphant (I appreciated that Dr. Ferry calls the school C-U-dubbly blessed).

valpopal

Hrvoje Vucic started his first game for Div. II Walsh against mighty Ohio State University tonight and had 8 points, 7 rebounds in only 21 minutes (even tried a 3-pointer) as Walsh surprisingly led much of the first half and only lost by 12 points (83-71). Of course, the reason he only played 21 minutes was because he fouled out!

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/103012aaa.html

valpotx

Awesome, good for Hrvoje.  He should do well in D-2
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on October 31, 2012, 11:53:56 AM
Awesome, good for Hrvoje.  He should do well in D-2
Given that he now has the opportunity to play as many minutes as he can handle, I would think that Hrvoje will make great strides towards proficiency. By the end of this season he may have developed into a genuine mid-level, mid-major (200 to 140 RPI) type center which is exactly what we where looking for at the time that we found him. The improvement in talent that surrounded him at Valpo from the time of his recruitment to today has been pretty remarkable, and in that light both he and even a fully healthy Tommy Kurth might have been largely left behind.

vubballfan10

Something I noticed about Valpo's recruiting class 2009 (which included Vucic):

Ryan Broekhoff
Matt Kenney
Tommy Kurth
Chris Halvorsen
Brandon Wood (JUCO)
Milos Milosevic (JUCO)
Hrvoje Vucic (redshirt in 2009-10)

Only 2 of these 7 players completed their eligibility at Valpo.  However, this is still one of the more successful recruiting classes of recent, as Wood was a star for 2 years, and Rowdy and Kenney have played big minutes throughout their career.

vu72

Quote from: vubballfan10 on November 01, 2012, 03:13:26 PM
Something I noticed about Valpo's recruiting class 2009 (which included Vucic):

Ryan Broekhoff
Matt Kenney
Tommy Kurth
Chris Halvorsen
Brandon Wood (JUCO)
Milos Milosevic (JUCO)
Hrvoje Vucic (redshirt in 2009-10)

Only 2 of these 7 players completed their eligibility at Valpo.  However, this is still one of the more successful recruiting classes of recent, as Wood was a star for 2 years, and Rowdy and Kenney have played big minutes throughout their career.

I think technically Brandon completed his eligibility at Valpo as he graduated,  although I understand your point. From a NCAA point of view graduating is the important issue.