• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Alec Peters - Sophomore edition

Started by wh, August 31, 2014, 12:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on October 23, 2014, 09:35:39 PM
Why are we talking about Doug McDermott?
because you can only compare white players to white players
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Dave_2010

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on October 24, 2014, 09:53:25 AM
Quote from: a3uge on October 23, 2014, 09:35:39 PM
Why are we talking about Doug McDermott?
because you can only compare white players to white players

LOL...In fairness: Alec has said that McBuckets is the player he models his game after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

covufan

Here are some stats for Oppland:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/valparaiso/dan-oppland

He would have averaged above 20 points his senior year if his FT% had stayed even with this sophomore and junior years.

valpopal

Quote from: Kyle321n on October 23, 2014, 10:00:21 AM
If we're looking at a Dougie McBuckets-esque player I really hope he takes the Frosh to Soph jump Doug did.

If Alec makes the jump here's what we're in store for. I think you'll like what I've found.

32.5 MPG
20.7 PPG
58.5% FG%
82.1% FT%
44.0% 3P%
2.0 3PM/G, 3.3 FTM/G
5.9 RPG
1.3 ORPG
1.3 APG
1.9 Fouls/G
4 Blocks (not per game total)
26 Steals

More realistic would be a comparison of Alec with Gordon Hayward during his sophomore year in the Horizon League. Alec is 6'9" 225 lbs, while Hayward was listed as 6'9" 207 lbs.

Hayward's sophomore stats:

33.5 MPG
15.5 PPG
46.4% FG%
82.9% FT%
29.4% 3FG%
8.2 RPG
1.7 APG

Those statistics were good enough to get Hayward the 9th pick in the 1st round of the NBA Draft, but I'm looking forward to Peters sticking around for 4 years.

a3uge

Quote from: valpopal on October 28, 2014, 11:17:00 PM
Quote from: Kyle321n on October 23, 2014, 10:00:21 AM
If we're looking at a Dougie McBuckets-esque player I really hope he takes the Frosh to Soph jump Doug did.

If Alec makes the jump here's what we're in store for. I think you'll like what I've found.

32.5 MPG
20.7 PPG
58.5% FG%
82.1% FT%
44.0% 3P%
2.0 3PM/G, 3.3 FTM/G
5.9 RPG
1.3 ORPG
1.3 APG
1.9 Fouls/G
4 Blocks (not per game total)
26 Steals

More realistic would be a comparison of Alec with Gordon Hayward during his sophomore year in the Horizon League. Alec is 6'9" 225 lbs, while Hayward was listed as 6'9" 207 lbs.

Hayward's sophomore stats:

33.5 MPG
15.5 PPG
46.4% FG%
82.9% FT%
29.4% 3FG%
8.2 RPG
1.7 APG

Those statistics were good enough to get Hayward the 9th pick in the 1st round of the NBA Draft, but I'm looking forward to Peters sticking around for 4 years.

I think Gordon Hayward is kind of a poor comparison. Hayward is a bizarre character - he had an extreme growth spurt very late in his teens, so he's basically a point guard that grew into a small forward body. He's sneaky athletic (he's white) and is a fairly decent slasher. Alec, on the other hand, is not nearly as athletic, and is probably more of a stretch 3/4 than a stretch 2/3. In Horizon League play, you'll find Peters scoring down low, or hanging out at the 3 point line. He's not one to slash or create his own shot off the dribble. He's actually a surprisingly good passer for his size, but this comes from his high BB IQ, not his ability to drive and kick.

I think Doug McDermott is actually an okay comparison in terms of their playing style, but it's pretty dumb to imply the same growth because their games are similar. McDermott was one of the greatest scorers/shooters in college basketball history. Peters shot .283 from 3PT in conference. McDermott in the MVC and the (Semi) Big East never shot below .400 and averaged a crazy .449. While I think Peters' shot will improve, he still has a limited ceiling. He doesn't have an NBA body (not many teams lining up to draft stretch forwards), and doesn't have an outrageous shot like McDermott or Steve Novak to hide his shortcomings. He's not athletic enough and doesn't have the handling skills to play small forward, and he's not big/strong enough to play PF... really shouldn't have to explain why Peters won't be anywhere close to an NBA player.

Anyways, he makes for a great Horizon League player. He just needs to find his rhythm in his shot again. Since the Horizon lacks quality bigs, he's able to play down low offensively and grab a ton of rebounds on defense. His height allows him to shoot over smaller guards. He's never going to get exposed defensively playing against other bigs - it's not like Jordan Fouse is going to develop a post game that exploits Peters.

Obligatory Gordon Hayward gifs.

vu72

OK, how about Brian Cardinal who played 12 years in the NBA with some time at PF and some time at SF.  He was listed at 6'8" 245lbs.  Averaged 4.6 ppg and 2.3 rbg over his career while shooting 40.8% FG , 37.2 from the 3 and 86.1 FT.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusadermoe

That seems like a pretty good comparison.   

Yeah, Hayward is a bit of a freak.  Long arms.   He was a great tennis player as well as a PG and went 6'9" as you said.  Think Drew Brees (another exceptional tennis player with footwork that it develops) and moving around easily at a height of 6'9".   The first time I saw him was on TV in his freshman year when they came from nowhere and beat CSU in Cleveland.    He was everywhere and his long arms just surrounded CSU guys on D. 

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 19, 2014, 05:54:47 PMAt 6-9 he (Alec) could tear up the league.

This sounds too much like Mo Kone saying "I will dominate the Mid-Con." I realize Alec would never say something like that but statements like this are read by the opposing players.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

classof2014

Throughout the first month of the season Alec has been nothing short of stellar, already has game highs of 26, 27, and 31, and if the 26 and 31 point performances were in close game where he played more than 20 minutes we could be looking at a possible 40 point output.

So far he is averaging just about 19 PPG (25.6 minutes per game), shooting just under 60%, 52.5% from beyond the arc, 85% from the charity stripe, and 6 boards a game. So far he has been "as advertised" if not better. He is definitely an early contender for conference player of the year.

His numbers are, so far, just a bit better than Keifer Sykes, who is average 18.6 PPG (33 minutes per game), shooting just under 53%, a dismal 22% from beyond the arc, and 81% from the free throw line. He also is average about 4 assists per game, and just under 5 boards a contest.

His scoring and rebounding numbers are similar to Alec except he is so far averaging about 8 more minutes a game than Alec! That's a lot of minutes.

AP is average a hair under 30 points per 40, while Keifer is only 22 per 40.

I will give Keifer this they have played better opponents but you can only beat the teams you play and Alec has been nothing short of dominant in the early going of this season.

wh

I would think picking the HL POW should be a pretty simple task this week.  Alec dominated play in 2 of the 3 Crusaders blow out wins over quality mid-major opponents and was named MVP of the Music City Tournament.

Alec's 3-game stats:
18.7 PPG in only 29 MPG (=26 PP40)
21-49 FG 54%
10-17 3FG 59%
4-5 FT 80%
5.7 RPG

I think what makes Alec's performance even more impressive is that he was able to sustain such a high level of performance over 3 consecutive days and against 3 opponents with vastly different playing styles.  I haven't looked very closely, but it would be hard to imagine anyone else in the HL having a better run than that over the past 7 days.

wh

POW numbers (2 games):

26 PPG in 24 MPG for an amazing 43.3 PP40
58% FG% (18-31)
53% 3FG% (8-15)

People who are not watching this kid are missing something special.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on December 21, 2014, 06:18:17 PMPeople who are not watching this kid are missing something special.
And apparently that is a lot of people.

Fort Wayne will be kicking themselves that they missed their chance--although maybe when he's a senior they might get lucky.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vusupporter

It'll be interesting to see who the league chooses - Bobby Hain (YSU) went for 26 pts and 17 rebounds in a loss to Kennesaw State, and 17 and 17 in a win over Wilberforce. 

Nevertheless, it's been amazing watching Alec this year - already eight 20+ point games, including six of the last eight.  And how about over the last three halves of basketball: 39 minutes, 18-30 FG, 8-14 3PT, 52 points.  Let me say that again: 52 points in the equivalent of one game. Wow.

valpotx

I found it hilarious that the IPFW commentators mentioned that it was a tough race for Peters' commitment, and that IPFW had a chance, with Peters 'getting away' ;D
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on December 21, 2014, 06:35:20 PM
I found it hilarious that the IPFW commentators mentioned that it was a tough race for Peters' commitment, and that IPFW had a chance, with Peters 'getting away' ;D

I really think that is jealousy and revisionist history. At least I'm sure Alec is thinking "I made the correct decision in choosing Valpo."

wh

They may have been somewhere in the running, but, as I recall, Alec narrowed his 20-30 offers down to 3 final contenders - Boston College, Illinois State and Valpo. I know he mentioned Coach Powell being a positive influencing factor, as well as the proximity to his hometown. We also know that valpo64 played a role (and I'm only half kidding). Who knows but what making a positive connection with a loyal and engaging fan and alumnus could have been the tie breaker?

classof2014

And once again the HL PoW goes too..... Mr. Alec Peters

Since the freshman of the week award last year was named the Alec Peters Award

Why not just rename to PoW to the Alec Peters Award as well?

FWalum

Quote from: classof2014 on December 22, 2014, 09:44:46 AM

Is this wishful thinking or has this been announced somewhere that I am not aware of??
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Quote from: FWalum on December 22, 2014, 10:50:38 AM
Quote from: classof2014 on December 22, 2014, 09:44:46 AM

Is this wishful thinking or has this been announced somewhere that I am not aware of??

http://valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2014-15/14226/peters-claims-league-weekly-honor/#.VJhMxF4DI
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

Too bad the HL likes to give the POY award unjustifiably to hyped NBA prospects instead over guys that actually deserve it.

motowntitan

Quote from: a3uge on December 22, 2014, 07:58:28 PM
Too bad the HL likes to give the POY award unjustifiably to hyped NBA prospects instead over guys that actually deserve it.

That's why they have a Pre-season and Post season.  The pre-season award is usually given in favor of upperclassmen.

LaPorteAveApostle

a3uge

Quote from: motowntitan on December 22, 2014, 09:34:55 PM
Quote from: a3uge on December 22, 2014, 07:58:28 PM

That's why they have a Pre-season and Post season.  The pre-season award is usually given in favor of upperclassmen.

You know that's not at all what I'm talking about.

wh

After an off night by Howard (9 points on 4-17 shooting), Alec is the new conference scoring leader @ 19.0 PPG and 28.3 PP40.  Howard is 2nd @ 18.9 and 26.2.  What's truly amazing is that Alec is 21st in MPG @ 26.9. 

Alec is also:
1st in 3Pt FG Pct
1st in Offensive Rating
3rd in FG Pct
6th in FT Pct
10th in RPG

Valpofan00

Quote from: wh on December 23, 2014, 11:10:03 PM
After an off night by Howard (9 points on 4-17 shooting), Alec is the new conference scoring leader @ 19.0 PPG and 28.3 PP40.  Howard is 2nd @ 18.9 and 26.2.  What's truly amazing is that Alec is 21st in MPG @ 26.9. 

Alec is also:
1st in 3Pt FG Pct
1st in Offensive Rating
3rd in FG Pct
6th in FT Pct
10th in RPG
Eh, I guess he's alright... ;)