• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Rule changes in college basketball

Started by usc4valpo, February 28, 2015, 11:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Quote from: classof2014 on March 03, 2015, 09:39:52 AM
I guess something more minor regarding fouling in college basketball is when a player comes up with a steal and has a breakaway to the basket for a layup and the player fouls. This happened in the CSU game, KC had a clean break to the basket after a steal and was fouled. He was rewarded no free throws since we were yet to the 1 and 1, thus it was just an inbound play. To me that is an intentional foul and I wish it would be called intentional more often.

To me in those instances where it is obviously intentional, 2 free throws and the ball after. To me if you made a mistake like turning it over, he was rewarded for fouling, didn't give up an automatic 2.

Every sport at every level has rules that are questionable or should be looked at. I cannot think of a sport where fouling is used as a strategy other than basketball.

Along those lines, in soccer, a foul from behind on a break away in the offensive zone results in a PK even if the foul was not commited in the box. Why not in BB? 

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Kyle321n on March 03, 2015, 10:13:59 AM
Quote from: agibson on March 03, 2015, 09:22:53 AM
Can you get a safety awarded in football as a result of a penalty?  Or is it like advancing the ball, where it seems to be at best "half the distance to the goal"?

Yes. If you commit a holding penalty while in your opponent's endzone it's a safety. Since holding calls are spot penalties you can't move the ball backwards from the endzone.
intentional grounding in the EZ too
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo64

Amen to the idea of reducing the amount of time to substitute after a fifth foul...make it twenty seconds and don't allow players to return to their respective benches.

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 03, 2015, 10:58:22 AMAlong those lines, in soccer, a foul from behind on a break away in the offensive zone results in a PK even if the foul was not commited in the box. Why not in BB? 

It's a red card, but I don't think it's a PK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_foul
seems to confirm that reading.

classof2014

Quote from: valpo64 on March 03, 2015, 11:17:18 AM
Amen to the idea of reducing the amount of time to substitute after a fifth foul...make it twenty seconds and don't allow players to return to their respective benches.

Why wouldn't they be allowed to return to their bench? If its just a normal foulout DQ then there's nothing wrong with it. If it was a flagrant 2, like a punch or something with intention to hurt, then yes he goes to the locker room, which is how it is. A DQ in basketball is very different than most other sports. If it's just a normal foulout they should be allowed to sit on the bench and cheer for their team.

agibson

I think he means the team shouldn't be allowed to huddle like it's a called timeout.

Thus seems to be handled very erratically.  Sometimes coaches take advantage, sometimes not - fine.  Knut sometimes the refs seem to try to break it up, sometimes not.

Valpo89

LaPorteAveApostle

This is a pretty significant rule change; not many seem to have noticed:

Undergrad transfers may no longer become immediately eligible.
http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2-%20March%2016%20Transfer%20Announcement.pdf

E.g. no more "Bryn Forbes jumps right from HL to B1G".

Paul Oren will be happy that now the big schools have to sit kids a year too.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

talksalot

My reading of this would not include a Brandon Woods situation... since he completed his undergraduate program prior to running out of eligibility.  That student can transfer without sitting out....Right?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: talksalot on March 19, 2015, 03:32:26 PMThat student can transfer without sitting out....Right?
Right--undergrad transfers, not grad.

usc4valpo

the shot clock has been reduced to 30 seconds, which is good. That will help increase the tempo of the game.

talksalot

just a proposal now... but eliminating the 5-second closely-guarded call WHILE DRIBBLING is a good idea.... and dropping one of the teams 2nd half time outs (I'm guessing the "Use-it or lose-it" will become "use-them or lose-them").  Might cause a cut in pay for the color-commentator at the games giving the play-by-play two fewer times to say 'Ok Steve, put yourself in the team huddle... what do you tell your team?"

VU75

I'd like to see a rule I saw last summer in an international tournament.  During the last two minutes of a game time outs were only permitted when the game clock was stopped.

drewsaders11

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2015-05-15/mens-basketball-rules-committee-recommends-package-proposals

Two interesting points imo:

• Allowing only a total of 10 seconds to advance the ball to the front court (with a few exceptions).....[meaning a timeout wouldn't reset the clock]
• The committee has approved experimentation to add one foul per player for the 2016 postseason and will investigate interested events (e.g., National Invitational Tournament, etc.).

talksalot

Here's the full article on the changes... although some of the details are not included... these are the approved changes.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13037928/ncaa-announces-rule-changes-2015-16-including-30-second-shot-clock-fewer-outs

The NCAA has approved multiple rule changes to men's basketball for the 2015-16 season, including a 30-second shot clock and fewer timeouts for each team.

The organization announced the changes, approved Monday by the NCAA playing rules oversight panel, in a tweet.

The men's basketball rules committee recommended the rule changes after months debating how to increase scoring and speed up play, especially late when flurries of fouls and timeouts made games seemingly drag on endlessly and needlessly.

The panel approved cutting the number of timeouts each team can use in the second half from four to three and eliminating some of the extra stoppages by using any timeout called within 30 seconds of a media timeout as the scheduled break. Committee members hope that will eliminate the occasional double timeouts that occur when there is no natural break around the 16-, 12-, 8- and 4-minute marks.  [my note:  The first team time out in the second half has historically been a "media" timeout as well.  I wonder what happens if the first time out is inside the media-break window?]

The move came as a result of data showing a drop of approximately five points per game last season and concerns over the length of games.

"The areas of concern in our game have been about pace of play, about scoring, about increased physicality defensively," NCAA rules committee chairman and Belmont coach Rick Byrd said last month. "There are concerns about how long it takes to play our games sometimes, particularly as we've introduced review in the last two minutes. I think we've addressed all these areas as best we can."

The arc underneath the basket will be extended out another foot, from 3 feet to 4 feet, after data showed it reduced the number of collisions.

The NCAA experimented with the new shot clock and restricted area rules in the 2015 NIT. Byrd said the NIT data did not "indicate a negative effect in terms of scoring and possessions."

The shot clock was last reduced, from 45 to 35 seconds, in 1993-94. The women's college game already uses a 30-second clock.

In other changes, coaches will no longer be allowed to call timeouts during live ball situations and, with only a few exceptions, teams will get just 10 total seconds to advance the ball past half court instead of resetting the clock if there is a stoppage.

Teams also will have 15 seconds, instead of 20, to make a substitution when a player fouls out, and officials will be instructed to start play more quickly following timeouts. If a team does not comply, it will be given a warning. Each additional offense will result in a one-shot technical foul.

Other changes include allowing refs to use replay reviews for potential shot clock violations on made baskets throughout the game and to penalize players for faking fouls, making Class B technical fouls such as hanging on the rim and delay of game one-shot infractions instead of two, removing the prohibition on dunking during warm-ups, eliminating the five-second rule when a player is dribbling and experimenting with a sixth foul during next season's lower-tier postseason tourneys.

In a change to women's basketball, the playing rules oversight panel approved using 10-minute quarters starting next season.

The Associated Press and ESPN's Eamonn Brennan contributed to this report.

classof2014

I wish they would do something about the fouling at the end of games. That drives me nuts, you shouldn't use fouling as a strategy to win games. With under a minute to play it should be 2 shots and the ball. That goes for both sides, if you are down you have the ball and get fouled you should be rewarded more highly for drawing a foul instead of intentionally giving one. While making the penalty for fouling worse for the team trying to comeback.

In all other sports fouling isn't used as a strategy as much as it is in basketball. Why should somebody be rewarded for intentionally breaking the rules?

humbleopinion

Quote from: classof2014 on June 10, 2015, 11:28:43 AM
I wish they would do something about the fouling at the end of games. That drives me nuts, you shouldn't use fouling as a strategy to win games. With under a minute to play it should be 2 shots and the ball. That goes for both sides, if you are down you have the ball and get fouled you should be rewarded more highly for drawing a foul instead of intentionally giving one. While making the penalty for fouling worse for the team trying to comeback.

In all other sports fouling isn't used as a strategy as much as it is in basketball. Why should somebody be rewarded for intentionally breaking the rules?

It seems the trend will be moving in the opposite direction of your wishes as the possibility of allowing players a sixth foul is explored.

Beamin' Beacons

valpotx

Fouling is a part of the game.  If you don't want fouls to be used against you, make the easiest shot in the game...

Interesting that the women's game is going to 10 minute quarters.  I assume that is an experiment to see if it might benefit the men's game, as well.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Quote from: valpotx on June 11, 2015, 04:05:46 AMFouling is a part of the game.  If you don't want fouls to be used against you, make the easiest shot in the game...
Completely agree with the strategic use of fouls.  My complaint would be that referees allow this to take way too much time.  First we have to talk to the coach, then the 5 guys on the floor are having a team meeting at the free throw line.  Get everyone to their spots, get the player to the line, give him the ball and make him shoot the dang thing.  Making free throws is a fundamental element of the game just as much as shooting, dribbling and passing.  If a team is weak at ball handling should we then say that the opposing team is not allowed to press?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show