• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Silver Linings Dept.

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, March 20, 2015, 10:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

I don't mean things like "at least our white dudes don't have terrible facial hair/haircuts" or "our shot blocker never talked trash like a punk- ".

I'm thinking one for sure:  to lose like that moves the Bryce-o-meter at least two ticks closer to "Coming back to finish business". 

Hard to imagine him leaving before next year plays out.

What else is there to take away?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Valpo18

If we were graduating 3-4 starters, maybe Bryce leaves, but I still doubt it. I don't see a reason for him to walk away as we should have an even better team next year. I could see Indiana maybe making a run at him though as Crean's seat just got a lot hotter.

We need to strengthen our OOC schedule and pick up some quality wins and we could easily be a 10-8 seed. Although being a 13 or 14 seed isn't looking too bad anymore. Can't choke on high majors anymore in the OOC.

VUOR63

Why can't Bryce Drew be to Valpo what Mark Few is to Gonzaga? 

LaPorteAveApostle

That's what I say.  But some people think he might be interested in DePaul, like they thought about godforsaken Tulsa.

(And maybe he was.)

But I say it'd gotta be a perfect situation and a perfect timing personally.  The longer he stays...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

nkvu

Quote from: Valpo18 on March 20, 2015, 11:09:28 PM
If we were graduating 3-4 starters, maybe Bryce leaves, but I still doubt it. I don't see a reason for him to walk away as we should have an even better team next year. I could see Indiana maybe making a run at him though as Crean's seat just got a lot hotter.

We need to strengthen our OOC schedule and pick up some quality wins and we could easily be a 10-8 seed. Although being a 13 or 14 seed isn't looking too bad anymore. Can't choke on high majors anymore in the OOC.

Today they showed they can play with a top team. Next year they need to show they can actually beat somebody from a big conference. Otherwise once again they will have to win the conference tourney to get at most a 12 seed, more likely a 13 or lower.  We will not get respect by beating most mid major teams. If that were the case Murrey State would have gotten an at large bid.

classof2014

Bryce isn't going anywhere.....

Smj

Sorry but the "Bryce leaving" talk is annoying.     He has such a good thing here and it fits him. ...   He would find it difficult to be the man he wants to be at a big program.   

silver lining - we have some of the best players at their age - I mean freshman and sophomores looked this good against a top 8 team. (Let that sink in for a minute)

usc4valpo

Bryce is a loyal and smart dude. If he is going to leave, it will not be for DePaul, where the program and athletic administration is a complete joking mess.

Bryce has decent players, a decent gig, works with a decent AD and I am sure he is not strapped for cash - he would be wise to stay for the time being. I would strongly suggest the administration to promptly make renovations to the ARC.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 21, 2015, 08:45:07 AMBryce has decent players, a decent gig, works with a decent AD and I am sure he is not strapped for cash - he would be wise to stay for the time being. I would strongly suggest the administration to promptly make renovations to the ARC.
Congratulations for fitting two of our favorite three topics into the same paragraph.  However, I must subtract a point for not commenting on attendance.

usc4valpo

Apostle, be aware that caffiene was just beginning to take effect when writing these words of wisdom.

I am bummed about loss since Valpo could have defeated the Terps and the almighty Big 10, but I am proud of what Bryce and the team did this year.

Like many, I will be interested to see if Kentucky complete their season undefeated. After watching some SEC teams play the past 2 days, I would take the field as I think their competition makes them look more invincible that they are. I will also be interested to see if Ashley Judd's botox holds up for the next couple of weeks.

setshot

Bad final play call from Bryce. Almost as bad as Pete Carrolls blunder :crazy:

usc4valpo

setshot - agree with your comment, but even great coaches like Pete Carroll and Bryce Drew make mistakes. Notre Dame and most teams would only hope to have Pete Carroll as their coach.

I am already feeling better about next season - USC is loading on scholarships and is getting better, and Valpo should be a joy to watch.

vu72

Quote from: VUOR63 on March 20, 2015, 11:16:05 PM

No doubt Bryce made a few extra bucks via the championships and NCAA appearance.  Keep him at the very top of pay for Horizon League coaches.  He may not need the money but he deserves it for his future and his families future.  The improvements to the ARC will not be what keep Bryce here.  As for him not wanting to take on the mess at DePaul, that mess is nothing even close to what Scott walked into.  So, if Scott wasn't afraid of a challenge (and major pay day!), Bryce may not be either.  Let's hope not.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

72, there is a difference between the Baylor position and the DePaul position. At Baylor, Scott was pretty much able to start the program from scratch. Scott gets a lot of criticism from Big 12 fans, but what he has done at Baylor has been phenomemal. Big 12 fans and coaches dislike him because of his prompt success, jealousy of his success and in their hope that they thought he would be a nice guy coaching a doormat team. Scott had to start clean.

DePaul, however, is different. They have cronies in the administration that will not leave, preventing a coach more leeway and thus more success. Jean Lenti Ponsetto and the DePaul administration are still standing behind their success back in the 80's and Ray Meyer. Student empathy is low, and they have to engage with corrupt Chicago politics for a stadium that will not meet their needs. Ponsetto is great with Title IX accomplishments and intramurals but has no clue in competing in the Big East.

covufan

Hopefully, this will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vu84v2

Big silver lining for me: depth at guard. Tevonn Walker, Darien Walker, Carter, Nickerson, Skara all can play strong D and all can get better. Each of them has shown ability on offense and all of them have the potential to get quite a bit better. Then add Williams, who hopefully comes back strong. No midmajor will have guard depth like that next year. Peters is a stud at the 4. So next year's team can be very special if they can develop or add some quality at the 5 (not discounting Jubril, Hammink or Smits - just need them to develop to the level of everyone else.

bbtds

Quote from: setshot on March 21, 2015, 09:40:36 AM
Bad final play call from Bryce. Almost as bad as Pete Carrolls blunder :crazy:
As with all play calls in those situations if you do something that fools the defense you have made a great call. If the defense sniffs it out then you are the idiot. It was some what gutsy but it just didn't work. If the foul had been called or Valpo had made their FTs and Keith had made 2 FTs and lost by one would we have felt any better?

wh

Quote from: covufan on March 21, 2015, 11:03:56 AM

Hopefully, this will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is an article from the NY Times that describes the "Gonzaga model" for mid-major success.  Notice the similarities to Valpo in the way they describe themselves in the "early days," including the frustration of hearing their school name mispronounced (sound familiar?).  Then, notice the emphasis on an indispensable element that makes a lot of people on this board nervous - investment in facilities.  Read the comments from Butler AD Collier about there being no shortcuts to sustained success without it. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/sports/ncaabasketball/gonzaga-basketball-stays-the-course-and-reaches-the-top.html?_r=0

Please, please, please spare me about how the university has more pressing needs than basketball facilities.  I get it.  I'm just trying to give an honest answer to an honest question - "Why can't Bryce Drew be to Valpo what Mark Few is to Gonzaga?"  The answer is simply this - the administration and board of Valparaiso University do not consider it important enough to make the financial investment necessary to potentially make it happen.  I say "potentially" make it happen because there's no guarantee that even with a major investment we would get the ROI that Gonzaga has. People just need to be willing to accept that without making a major investment, we will never become the next Gonzaga or Butler, or anywhere close.  A lot of people sound like they're fine with that, others like myself are not, but in the end it really doesn't matter.  It is what it is - there are no shortcuts to Level V success.

vu84v2

As the person on the other end of previous arguments on facilities and spending, I choose not to enter into another argument at this time.

usc4valpo

wh - good comments and I agree with you.  I do not say this about athletic programs in general, but the Valparaiso basketball program has done a lot for this university and they deserve more. Valpo is lucky to have Bryce Drew as a head coach. Also, this program has provided national attention in a different perspective in additional to its Lutheran church affiliation.

I would not suggest a new arena, but renovations. This program has grown and provides positive waves to Valparaiso University. It has been 31 years since the ARC was built and it is time for some home improvement.

Also, sometimes Valpo needs to stop being so conservative and take a calculated risk.

historyman

I believe that the speed of how things that we deem are necessary (can't move to the level of Gonzaga or Butler without the improvement in facilities) has a great deal to do with the amount of angst we feel. We could still get all the facilities improvements but not at the rate of a Gonzaga or Butler and still move to that level in the time Bryce is head coach at Valpo. I believe Bryce feels it will happen. There will be many years that Valpo will miss out on being an "elite" mid-major but it may still happen.

Some VU fans have told me that without Mark Heckler being president Bryce would have already been gone from Valpo.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on March 21, 2015, 02:11:27 PMSome VU fans have told me that without Mark Heckler being president Bryce would have already been gone from Valpo.
Ironic, because some coaches LEAVE because of hecklers.

HC

You guys need to relax on the Bryce leaving stuff. Focus your worries somewhere else like how the heck are we going to find anyone worth while to play us next season.

vu84v2

I am guessing that I personally will have very little impact on whether Bryce stays or next year's schedule.

usc4valpo

Time for a trip to Alaska or Hawaii and the Bahamas to face some real competition.

In business, if the company is committed to the employees, the employee will perform well for the company. Mississippi State, Alabama and other major school have job openings. If Valpo is not committed for Bryce to increase program success, there will be a problem.