• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

(This year's) Transfer(s) (?!)

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, March 26, 2015, 11:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think will leave / transfer out this off-season?

Nick Davidson
7 (25%)
Max Joseph
6 (21.4%)
A surprise (not the good kind) candidate
2 (7.1%)
more than one
0 (0%)
NOBODY  NOBODY IS LISTENING HOMINAHOMINAHOMINA
7 (25%)
don't you BRING that evil on me, ricky bobby
6 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: April 07, 2015, 11:06:02 AM

bbtds

Quote from: nkvu on July 14, 2015, 11:57:09 PM
So the source of the aide doesn't matter. Even if it has nothing to do with the school?  If it comes from some other source entirely?

If the student is considered a "recruited athlete" by the NCAA then the source of the funds doesn't matter at all. By declaring yourself a "recruited athlete" by accepting invitations from schools for the purpose of playing on their athletic team then you severely limit the kind of funds you can accept.

humbleopinion

Quote from: zvillehaze on July 14, 2015, 07:48:42 PM
2.  McDermott gave up his scholarship.  His father was making millions as the head coach and was able to cover his son's cost of attendance.

Does this mean that VU could hire Vashil's wife as a consultant in the athletic department and pay her enough to cover the family's expenses and tuition?
Beamin' Beacons

bbtds

Quote from: humbleopinion on July 15, 2015, 06:29:50 AM

Quote from: zvillehaze on July 14, 2015, 07:48:42 PM
2.  McDermott gave up his scholarship.  His father was making millions as the head coach and was able to cover his son's cost of attendance.

Does this mean that VU could hire Vashil's wife as a consultant in the athletic department and pay her enough to cover the family's expenses and tuition?

Just my opinion. I would think the athletic dept would have to prove to an NCAA investigator that Vashil's wife was providing legitimate services to the athletic department for which she was receiving the pay that covered the family's expenses and tuition. In the case of the McDermotts it was clearly evident that Greg McDermott actually was coaching the Creighton MBB team and was not just receiving pay for some fake consulting job.

justducky

Quote from: humbleopinion on July 15, 2015, 06:29:50 AMDoes this mean that VU could hire Vashil's wife as a consultant in the athletic department and pay her enough to cover the family's expenses and tuition?
If she can make some progress with our scheduling nightmare then we should hire her even if it fails to clear our scholarship logjam.  :thumbsup:  ;)

wh

For what it's worth, I caught a glimpse of Vashil working out with others players at Hilltop this morning. 

hoopfan22

If I had to guess, this will be taken care of easily. I say that one of the newcomers won't make it on campus and it won't be the one with the NBA pedigree.

bbtds

Quote from: hoopfan22 on July 15, 2015, 07:09:37 PM
If I had to guess, this will be taken care of easily. I say that one of the newcomers won't make it on campus and it won't be the one with the NBA pedigree.

My thought is if it was that easy why hasn't the decision already been made. I think the reason it's taking so long is Bryce has to make a very unhappy decision about which person will not be back on the team.

classof2014

My guess is either Relvao or Davidson. My guess would be Davidson, I could see him going to D II so he can get a lot more playing time.

Fortunately for the program and unfortunately for him there's simply too much talent to give him a good opportunity to prove himself.

vu72

Quote from: classof2014 on July 16, 2015, 09:34:27 AM
My guess is either Relvao or Davidson. My guess would be Davidson, I could see him going to D II so he can get a lot more playing time.

Fortunately for the program and unfortunately for him there's simply too much talent to give him a good opportunity to prove himself.

The Davidson situation is interesting.  He is a very valuable "glue" guy, well liked and very team oriented.  I agree that his playing time will be very limited going forward.  We've been told on previous occasions (maybe by chef??) that Nick is studying nursing and that may be a difficult major to find at some smaller D3 schools.  Valpo's Nursing program is also very highly regarded.  So could he simply decide that it is in his best interests to leave the team and focus on his studies?  If he isn't on the team could the University then be able to award scholarships, grants, loans etc based on need and academic performance? I certainly would think so.  I'm also thinking of the Cameron Witt situation where Valpo did continue to fund his school costs until he graduated.  Apparently those rules have changed however.  It would be a tough choice for him but sometimes it becomes clear that all the travel and time practicing is too much given the limited time on the court or future playing professionally.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

hoopfan22

I highly doubt Davidson is gone. The team has been working out and he's been there.  My money is on Relvao.

valpopal

Speaking of Relvao: he is currently playing for the Portuguese Under-20 team in Europe. From what I hear, he has led his team to wins this week. Against Kosovo he had 16 pts, 16 rebs, and 6 blocks, and against Austria he had 20 pts, 14 rebs, 2 steals, and 8 blocks.

wh

Quote from: valpopal on July 16, 2015, 02:50:31 PM
Speaking of Relvao: he is currently playing for the Portuguese Under-20 team in Europe. From what I hear, he has led his team to wins this week. Against Kosovo he had 16 pts, 16 rebs, and 6 blocks, and against Austria he had 20 pts, 14 rebs, 2 steals, and 8 blocks.

Those are ridiculous numbers. Don't lose this kid!

SanityLost17

My opinion...and perhaps an unpopular one... 

The only ethical solution I see is that if Vashil wants to stay another year, he needs to pay his own way and pay full tuition if that is what the NCAA rules demand.  The coaches/school have made commitments to other players and we should honor those commitments.  Nobody should be forced to transfer or have their scholarship taken away before they even arrive on campus.  This is not just about next year, this is about building sustainable success.  Of course, this is based on the assumption that the impact of Revlao for 4 years will be greater than Vashil for 1 year.

Now... If somebody really wants to leave the program, that is a different story.   

Anybody know how much Vashil would have to pay for 1 year of grad school?   

IndyValpo

Quote from: SanityLost17 on July 16, 2015, 03:30:21 PM
My opinion...and perhaps an unpopular one... 

The only ethical solution I see is that if Vashil wants to stay another year, he needs to pay his own way and pay full tuition if that is what the NCAA rules demand.  The coaches/school have made commitments to other players and we should honor those commitments.  Nobody should be forced to transfer or have their scholarship taken away before they even arrive on campus.  This is not just about next year, this is about building sustainable success.  Of course, this is based on the assumption that the impact of Revlao for 4 years will be greater than Vashil for 1 year.

Now... If somebody really wants to leave the program, that is a different story.   

Anybody know how much Vashil would have to pay for 1 year of grad school?   

I completely agree.

vusupporter

Yes, but on the flip side, the program made a commitment to Vashil before it made a commitment to anybody else on this roster.  Should this turn out to be the case, that he ends up getting the final year of eligibility, why do you punish Vashil and make him pay his own way for his fourth year of eligibility just because the NCAA made a decision and then reversed course later on?

oklahomamick

Its competitive, Davidson should be the one to leave.  I understand he hasn't don't anything wrong is a good student athlete that represents Valpo.  However, he is not good enough and I would hate to see us lose the portugal kid. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vu84v2

This needs to be done in an ethical manner and I have no doubt that Valpo will handle this ethically (as they always have in the past). Commitments are commitments and going back on a commitment made to an incoming player sends a bad message to future recruits. I would love to see Vashil back for another year, but if it means violating a commitment to any player (Davidson, Relvao, etc.), then I am against it. You never need to feel bad or try to 'spin' when you have done the right thing.

Obviously, if someone wanted to leave or if Vashil could pay his own way, then it would be great to have him back for another year.

vu72

Quote from: vusupporter on July 16, 2015, 03:36:17 PM
Yes, but on the flip side, the program made a commitment to Vashil before it made a commitment to anybody else on this roster.  Should this turn out to be the case, that he ends up getting the final year of eligibility, why do you punish Vashil and make him pay his own way for his fourth year of eligibility just because the NCAA made a decision and then reversed course later on?

I may be wrong but didn't we pay for Vashil while he was deemed ineligible?  He has already gotten both an undergrad and Master's.  If a student/athlete has to sit for transfer purposes he isn't paying his own way while sitting.  So, if I'm correct, we have honored our four year education agreement with Vashil.

As for the cost, Valpo's website say $615 per graduate credit (other then a MBA which he already has).  I remember speaking with Brandon Wood who told me he was taking something like 3 courses.  It isn't a very stiff requirement as they have already graduated and under grad graduation is what the NCAA is all about.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Probably you need 12 credits to be full-time, even as a grad student?  So, could be $14k.  Not chump change, by any means.  But, hopefully he'd make it back professionally?

Not, however, something that every 23 year old, or every family, can muster on short notice.

valpopal

Quote from: agibson on July 16, 2015, 08:24:06 PM
Probably you need 12 credits to be full-time, even as a grad student?  So, could be $14k.  Not chump change, by any means.  But, hopefully he'd make it back professionally?

Not, however, something that every 23 year old, or every family, can muster on short notice.

The NCAA allows universities to determine the credit load for full-time status of graduate students. Valparaiso considers graduate students who enroll for 9 credits in a semester as full-time.

covufan

Quote from: hoopfan22 on July 16, 2015, 02:02:45 PM
I highly doubt Davidson is gone. The team has been working out and he's been there.  My money is on Relvao.
Park Relvao at on the Portuguese traveling team(not professional) for one more year, or at a prep school (Oak Hill Academy, LaLumiere, etc).  Then get him for four!

bbtds

Quote from: covufan on July 17, 2015, 12:03:04 PM
Quote from: hoopfan22 on July 16, 2015, 02:02:45 PM
Park Relvao at on the Portuguese traveling team(not professional) for one more year, or at a prep school (Oak Hill Academy, LaLumiere, etc).  Then get him for four!

Who's paying for his private schooling if he goes to LaLumiere or Oak Hill? Usually guys attend those schools so they improve their basketball skills so they can qualify for a scholarship. Relvao has already been promised a scholarship by Valpo. Valpo can't pay for that private school tuition. Why would Relvao pay his tuition when he already has a scholarship to Valpo.

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on July 16, 2015, 08:46:09 PM
The NCAA allows universities to determine the credit load for full-time status of graduate students. Valparaiso considers graduate students who enroll for 9 credits in a semester as full-time.

Interesting!  Cute little twist on early graduates, redshirts, etc.

a3uge

Fwiw I saw a bunch of Valpo players at the dunes today, and Vashil was not there.

vu72

Quote from: a3uge on July 18, 2015, 08:26:51 PM
Fwiw I saw a bunch of Valpo players at the dunes today, and Vashil was not there.

But, his fingerprints were found on a beachball!!   :o