• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

(This year's) Transfer(s) (?!)

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, March 26, 2015, 11:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think will leave / transfer out this off-season?

Nick Davidson
7 (25%)
Max Joseph
6 (21.4%)
A surprise (not the good kind) candidate
2 (7.1%)
more than one
0 (0%)
NOBODY  NOBODY IS LISTENING HOMINAHOMINAHOMINA
7 (25%)
don't you BRING that evil on me, ricky bobby
6 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: April 07, 2015, 11:06:02 AM

truth219

vu72

Quote from: historyman on March 31, 2015, 10:31:16 AM
Quote from: bbtds on March 30, 2015, 08:03:38 PM
Quote from: justducky on March 30, 2015, 07:15:11 PMI have trouble imagining him being forced out so unless he wants to go after the additional playing time he may return. A Valpo degree has to be of significantly higher value than one from Bethel (just my assumption) so that type of thinking may factor in his decision.
Nick Davidson's major is nursing, so unless Bethel or another lower Div program also has a nursing program I doubt you will see him transfer. OTOH, I'm sure there are many lower Div schools that have a nursing major.
I had to check and Bethel College in Mishawaka does have a nursing major.

http://www.bethelcollege.edu/students/undergrad/academic-dept-prog/nursing-school/

I'm pretty sure Valpo's nursing program is very highly regarded.  Also, if he finishes his degree before his eligibility is over, he could move on toward a masters degree or even a doctorate at Valpo. 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

chef

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 31, 2015, 08:46:44 AM
chef - Is there any intent or possibility of bringing in an experienced player that plays the 4 or 5? Smits has potential, but there is always a significant learning curve for a Freshman. Jubril will play ~20 minutes per game at the 5 and backing up Peters at the 4. The one gap in a very promising 2015-2016 season is the need for more depth up front.
The staff is done recruiting players for next season. There's enough options up front to not be to concerned. There's much hope that Smits will come in right away and have a significant impact. The potential size and versatility at the 3 and 4 spots allows Jubril to play big minutes at the five without worrying about defensive matchup problems. It's natural to overlook Jubril's contributions to the team because he doesn't put up the numbers, but there's a reason why he's been a great +/- guy during his two years in a Valpo uniform. He's loaded with intangibles - doesn't turn it over, doesn't take bad shots, comes up with 50/50 balls, plays solid defense, etc.

justducky

Quote from: chef on March 31, 2015, 11:30:44 PMThe staff is done recruiting players for next season. There's enough options up front to not be to concerned
I like the sound of that.. It is April 1 and our 15-16 team seems to be set with playing time and redshirting possibilities to sort themselves out over the summer. What other teams in the country are in that position?

vu72

Quote from: chef on March 31, 2015, 11:30:44 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on March 31, 2015, 08:46:44 AM
chef - Is there any intent or possibility of bringing in an experienced player that plays the 4 or 5? Smits has potential, but there is always a significant learning curve for a Freshman. Jubril will play ~20 minutes per game at the 5 and backing up Peters at the 4. The one gap in a very promising 2015-2016 season is the need for more depth up front.
The staff is done recruiting players for next season. There's enough options up front to not be to concerned. There's much hope that Smits will come in right away and have a significant impact. The potential size and versatility at the 3 and 4 spots allows Jubril to play big minutes at the five without worrying about defensive matchup problems. It's natural to overlook Jubril's contributions to the team because he doesn't put up the numbers, but there's a reason why he's been a great +/- guy during his two years in a Valpo uniform. He's loaded with intangibles - doesn't turn it over, doesn't take bad shots, comes up with 50/50 balls, plays solid defense, etc.

I'm wondering which of the guys (Smits or Relvao) is further along.  From tape I've seen it seems like it might be Relvao. Sometimes these Euro players are further along then expected, like David Skara as an example.  Given our lack of bigs, and if the answer is Smits, is there any possibility of Daniel redshirting?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Quote from: vu72 on April 01, 2015, 09:25:17 AMI'm wondering which of the guys (Smits or Relvao) is further along.  From tape I've seen it seems like it might be Relvao. Sometimes these Euro players are further along then expected, like David Skara as an example.  Given our lack of bigs, and if the answer is Smits, is there any possibility of Daniel redshirting?
Relvao may be further along as far as physical maturity, but its not really close in skills or BB IQ, I think Smits has the edge.

Here is a full game Mountain Mission vs Our Savior New American, see what you think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st1WfT1wS-c#ws
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

I wonder if anyone knows that Our Savior New American School is a mission project of Our Savior Lutheran Church (LCMS) in Centerreach, NY on Long Island. The head coach of the basketball team and pastor of the church was a vicar at our church in Indy. Centerreach, BTW, is near Stony Brook, where SUNY Stony Brook is located.

http://www.our-savior.com/pages/pastor/about.shtml

Ron Stelzer--Since 1992 he is also the founder and headmaster of Our Savior New American School, where he continues to do chapels, teach Latin, and coach basketball. He has authored a book and numerous articles and been on several mission trips to Asia and Africa. His weekly radio program airs on WALK-AM 1370 every Sunday morning at 8:15. Three weeks in the summer he runs his highly regarded basketball camp. He and his wife Margaret have six children, all graduates of Our Savior New American School.

valpo4life

For those of you who haven't seen/heard, Grady is also transferring away from Cleveland State. They have gone from potential threat to bottom of the league losing him and Lewis.

vu72

Quote from: valpo4life on April 23, 2015, 04:03:35 PM
For those of you who haven't seen/heard, Grady is also transferring away from Cleveland State. They have gone from potential threat to bottom of the league losing him and Lewis.

yes, we know. It's been posted in two other threads

historyman

(from my other post in Horizon League section)

CSU took a double hit this year but there are going to be a lot more of these graduate transfers in the future. It makes sense for some players in the inbetween zone. If they are offered a scholarship at a Big Six school but know they won't play a lot when they get there they can transfer down to a mid-major. Then when they graduate early due to red-shirting they can fulfill their ultimate dream of starting for the major in their 4th year of eligibility. I believe at sometime Valpo will take a double hit in the graduate transfer situation in the future.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpo64

Isn't it amazing that Louisville fills out next year's backcourt with not 1, but 2 transfers.  Big time college basketball is getting to be a joke!

oklahomamick

Quote from: historyman on April 24, 2015, 11:00:47 AM(from my other post in Horizon League section) CSU took a double hit this year but there are going to be a lot more of these graduate transfers in the future. It makes sense for some players in the inbetween zone. If they are offered a scholarship at a Big Six school but know they won't play a lot when they get there they can transfer down to a mid-major. Then when they graduate early due to red-shirting they can fulfill their ultimate dream of starting for the major in their 4th year of eligibility. I believe at sometime Valpo will take a double hit in the graduate transfer situation in the future.

We typically don't red shirt. 
CRUSADERS!!!

bbtds

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 25, 2015, 10:24:48 PM
Quote from: historyman on April 24, 2015, 11:00:47 AM(from my other post in Horizon League section) CSU took a double hit this year but there are going to be a lot more of these graduate transfers in the future. It makes sense for some players in the inbetween zone. If they are offered a scholarship at a Big Six school but know they won't play a lot when they get there they can transfer down to a mid-major. Then when they graduate early due to red-shirting they can fulfill their ultimate dream of starting for the major in their 4th year of eligibility. I believe at sometime Valpo will take a double hit in the graduate transfer situation in the future.

We typically don't red shirt. 
Okay, but we did lose Brandon Wood to Michigan State because he went down a year to a junior college before coming to Valpo. Could that not happen again times two? Or are we through with student/athletes that sit due to transfer (Levingston-Simon, Hammink, Carter) or injury (Lexus Williams) or moving in from junior colleges (Darien Walker). I personally don't feel that any of these guys will go the graduate transfer route but you really never know for sure. When those majors tell their players that so and so could play for their team the word gets around.

justducky

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 25, 2015, 10:24:48 PMWe typically don't red shirt. 
Given that we could have 13 eligible and healthy players and given that the last 3 of those might rarely see the floor - well maybe this will be the year.

valpopal

Word is that Cleveland State's Anton Grady is transferring to the Missouri Valley Conference (Wichita St.): lucky him! Can he take Valpo with him?  ;)

a3uge

Quote from: valpopal on May 08, 2015, 11:27:34 AM
Word is that Cleveland State's Anton Grady is transferring to the Missouri Valley Conference (Wichita St.): lucky him! Can he take Valpo with him?  ;)

Incredible get for Wichita State. Grady is a beast, but was limited offensively with easy double teams due to the lack of shooters at CSU. And by limited I mean he was still a top 5 HL player.

He was also the 2nd best defensive player in the conference last year. He'll make WSU happy.

vu72

Quote from: a3uge on May 08, 2015, 02:35:31 PM
Quote from: valpopal on May 08, 2015, 11:27:34 AM

Incredible get for Wichita State. Grady is a beast, but was limited offensively with easy double teams due to the lack of shooters at CSU. And by limited I mean he was still a top 5 HL player.

He was also the 2nd best defensive player in the conference last year. He'll make WSU happy.

Agree that he was a beast but not so much when you said that CSU lacked shooters.  Lee and Lewis were both top 5 3 point shooters last year, with Lee being second, one slot above Alec. Mason also shoot 37% and their team averaged just a half a point less than we did.

vu72

I hate to bring this up, but  saw a selfie of E. Victor in graduation garb.  Thus, He could do the post grad move and go to another school for his last year.  I love his game and he is an incredible matchup problem.  My only thought was that with Hammink coming on and being a similar matchup problem that E might consider moving on. Let's hope not.

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on May 18, 2015, 02:06:56 PM
I hate to bring this up, but  saw a selfie of E. Victor in graduation garb.  Thus, He could do the post grad move and go to another school for his last year.  I love his game and he is an incredible matchup problem.  My only thought was that with Hammink coming on and being a similar matchup problem that E might consider moving on. Let's hope not.
I was thinking the same thing when I saw the pic as well.  It was posted by Valpo Athletics on Facebook, and had a smiling Heckler as well!

valpotx

Even though E would be a big loss, it is a loss that we could take with the people coming back from injuries & Hammink.
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on May 18, 2015, 10:33:47 PMEven though E would be a big loss, it is a loss that we could take with the people coming back from injuries & Hammink.
I would think the odds of him leaving are pretty small. Might only be 40 or less arguably better 15-16 teams and I doubt that he has much incentive to move down or even sideways. He is also not an outstanding offensive point or shooting guard, and of the 3 positions shooting forward might be his weakest. So he is a perfect multi-position versatile backup for VU but I can't see him as a first team regular starter for any top twenty team.

Sure! He might be approached, but he would need to find multiple clear advantages to prompt him to go.

VULB#62

And I would add that  E.V . would have a strong sense of loyalty to a family oriented program that stood behind him during post surgery recovery and one that found a way to get him substantial minutes -- and the respect of Valpo fans.

classof2014

EVN isn't going anywhere. He got his undergrad done in 4 years and will go for his grad degree. If he hasn't left yet, he's not going anywhere.