• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2015-16 Season

Started by wh, July 19, 2015, 03:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Since we're only a few days away from the start of official practices for the Canadian trip, and it's pretty much a certainty that Vashil is returning, I've got an early itch to talk about the upcoming season.

With everyone back, plus our 7' IN HS All Star, plus the return of former starting PG Lexus Williams, we almost have to be better than last year. That said, I'm having a hard time getting my head around how much better we can be than last year's version. The bar last year's team set is so high. We are definitely in uncharted waters as a program, that's for sure.

Any thoughts anyone?

Valpofan00

Certainty that vashil is returning? Based on what facts?

wh

I didn't say it's "a certainty."  I said "pretty much a certainty."  Nothing is certain until it's officially announced, of course, but the icing on the cake for me was a quote from Oren's Friday article:

Drew is excited for the preseason trip to Canada, largely for the opportunity to begin workouts a bit earlier than normal. While the Crusaders expect to return every key contributor from last season (if Vashil Fernandez does in fact return), Drew knows that every season brings different challenges.

Just speaking for myself, I don't think it takes much reading beteen the lines (along with the other info we already have) to believe he's coming back.

vu72

A year of maturity and muscle can only help even if we just have the guys from last year.  Remember, at least at the start of last year, we had a bunch of guys who hadn't played together--The Walkers, E, David and Max.  Now add Shane and Derrik plus probably Relvoa and who knows what might happen.  Clearly we have to be improved.  By how much?  Only time will tell.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Just a reminder that if Vashil's return is "almost a certainty" then one of the other team members from last year or one of the freshmen will not be on this year's team. 

justducky

Quote from: wh on July 19, 2015, 03:59:11 PMI'm having a hard time getting my head around how much better we can be than last year's version.
Quote from: vu72 on July 19, 2015, 07:48:08 PMClearly we have to be improved.  By how much?
Everything has fallen into place so this will be a real test of coaching ability and player discipline. A platoon system isn't what every player or every coach wants, but it looks like something we are almost forced to experiment with! Seems like the depth and quickness will invite us to pressure more than we ever have and we will need to prove that both platoons can transition to the half court when the quick open shot is just not there. I expect our post offense (in both platoons) to be much improved also.

OK so I have just described a system of offense with which we have no experience and will temporarily struggle, but this should define the outer limit of our overall team improvement and effectiveness.

Just how good a coach is Bryce Drew? I don't have that answer yet but if he meets my best expectations  :thumbsup: I think this might be his last year at Valpo.  :'(   Or maybe not. 

a3uge

Expectations are so high that they're bound to disappoint.

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on July 19, 2015, 11:02:07 PM

..............OR we could try to limit our expectations so it will either be a pleasant surprise or as expected. It doesn't have to be a disappointment. Although some fans just can't help but put more than attainable expectations on their team. It's human nature.

oklahomamick

Regardless if we meet our goals and expectations, we will win a lot of games and be competitive.  We have too much talent not to be and the team that has more talent usually wins. (unless your Mercy...) 

Will we beat BCS schools?  Maybe
Will we win the conference for the 4th time in 5 years?  Maybe
Will we win the HL tourney in Detroit?  Maybe

Will we be competitive against BCS schools with a great chance of winning the conference and Tourney?  Absolutely.   :thumbsup:  Thats the one guarantee. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpopal

Indiana Student Athletes to watch in 2015-2016, Alec Peters is #1 in basketball: "The sky is the limit for Valpo's Peters, an incredible shooter who stands 6-foot-9,  a description that also describes Larry Bird, the greatest athlete to ever come out of the state...."

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2015/07/25/indiana-25-student-athletes-to-watch-in-2015-16/

oklahomamick

I haven't heard any noise about Shane Hammink.  I know we have big time players at every position coming back.  We are two deep everywhere.  But I figure this is a guy we can get excited about.  What's his story? 
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

8 scholarship players between 6-7 and 7 foot with an avg. of 6-9. That's just crazy.

swiftmutiny

Especially considering that just a few years ago we were starting 6' 7" Cory Johnson at the 5.

IrishDawg

Considering everyone that's coming back, as an outsider, I would consider this year to be a failure if Drew can't win a tournament game with this squad.  This team is long, athletic and experienced.  Lot to be excited about for you guys.

valpotx

As long as we stay healthy (knocking on wood), you are correct!
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Quote from: valpotx on July 30, 2015, 01:42:08 PMAs long as we stay healthy (knocking on wood), you are correct!

You are correct Tex. 

Reminds me of 2008 OU Football team who lost the national championship game to LSU.   They returned the Heisman trophy winner and a lot of starters in 2009.  Everybody was excited and then the Heisman trophy winner goes down early with several other players got hit but the injury bug.  The OU team with most talent in years finished 8-5 with several watching from the sidelines on crutches.  On a better note,  that upcoming NFL draft saw the first 4 out of 5 draft picks were sooners.
CRUSADERS!!!

valpopal

Now that the mystery of Vashil's return has been solved, we can pass time by speculating about lesser issues.  ;D 

For instance, uniform numbers are missing from the new roster for the added players. Smits wore #24 in high school, but that number is hanging in the rafters. His father wore #45, which is what I would expect Derrik to go to as a second choice. However, it is going to seem odd to see that number on someone other than Broekhoff. (I suspect Hammink will wear #11.)

agibson

Quote from: swiftmutiny on July 28, 2015, 07:08:37 PM
Especially considering that just a few years ago we were starting 6' 7" Cory Johnson at the 5.

Was he really listed at merely 6' 7"?  Those were the days...

agibson

Quote from: bbtds on July 20, 2015, 11:49:32 AM
Quote from: a3uge on July 19, 2015, 11:02:07 PM

..............OR we could try to limit our expectations so it will either be a pleasant surprise or as expected. It doesn't have to be a disappointment. Although some fans just can't help but put more than attainable expectations on their team. It's human nature.

Maybe I'll change my tune if we, I don't know, start ranking regularly in the top-25 (and not just "receiving votes"), or draw a 4 seed, or something equally astounding.  But, I'll be delighted with a tournament win.  Any NCAA tournament win in a non-play-in game.  I'd be very pleased to beat a BCS team.  Any BCS team.  I will, almost undoubtedly (unless we tank, or get hit hard by injuries, etc.), be disappointed if we don't win the conference tournament. I suppose I'd accept an at-large bid as a consolation prize.

wh

Who would ever have thought at the time that all 5 players in this "Valpo Returns" video from April would be coming back?

! No longer available

justducky

Little noticed in our recent conversations is the status of Chandler Levingston Simon. He is our third NBA bloodline player and appears to be a walk on for an already incredibly deep team.

I promise not to talk about redshirt possibilities until after the boys return from Canada but my early guess is that somebody should. Wait! Maybe we can find another capable walk on and institute a 3 platoon offense!  ::)

valpopal

The new roster has been updated with revised height and weight numbers:
http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/roster/#.VbuQQjBViko

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on July 30, 2015, 04:56:37 PM
Now that the mystery of Vashil's return has been solved, we can pass time by speculating about lesser issues.  ;D 

For instance, uniform numbers are missing from the new roster for the added players. Smits wore #24 in high school, but that number is hanging in the rafters. His father wore #45, which is what I would expect Derrik to go to as a second choice. However, it is going to seem odd to see that number on someone other than Broekhoff. (I suspect Hammink will wear #11.)

Update: Looks like Hammink will wear #11. Pleased to see Smits will wear 21 instead of 24 (not possible) or 45. Levingston-Simon will wear #30.

wh

At 6-10/260 Vashil is up 15 lbs.  :o

Derrik Smits is listed at 7-1.  Never taller than 7 foot in height stats I have seen before.  Is it possible he's still growing?  :o