• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Sporting News

Started by vu72, September 29, 2014, 08:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Sporting News projection is out and they have us second to CSU.  Not hard to imagine as the article was written by a guy from the Plain Dealer.  Hard to say how much research he did but he ended up pointing to Peters, Adakoya and...E. Victor as our key players.  I suspect he had some conversations with our staff before writing this.  Could E. Victor be the key to a big season??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

I can see us in the top 3 as well, but it will depend on our road games, as always in the HL
"Don't mess with Texas"

Dave_2010

I think CSU at #1 is fair. As a grad student the last two years, I've seen a ton of their games...as long as they stay disciplined in their sets, the Vikings are one of the best balanced teams in the league between front and backcourt. Losing Forbes will hurt, but the Vikings still have Lewis and Lee returning.

Where you really get in trouble are with these 6'7"-6'9" jump out of the gym forwards like Anton Grady and Marlin Mason they keep getting every year. The new guy this year coukd be Soph Demonte Flannigan. They are too fast for Vashil and Peters and way too big for our guards causing huge matchup issues (as evidenced in the pair of uncompetitive games last season). We will need Adekoye and Nickerson both to step up in these games to have a chance. Throw in a serviceable 5 in Scales and you're left with a dangerous team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpopal

The Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook picks Valpo 5th in its preseason forecast, behind Green Bay (1), CSU (2), WSU (3), and Detroit (4). Their preseason all-league team is Keifer Sykes, GB; Trey Lewis, CSU; Juwan Howard, Jr., DET; Corey Petros, OAK; Alec Peters, Valpo. They pick Sykes as the HL Player of the Year.

valpotx

Petros must absolutely destroy the other HL teams, because he has absolutely sucked during every game against us that he has played...
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpotx on September 30, 2014, 01:48:00 PM
Petros must absolutely destroy the other HL teams, because he has absolutely sucked during every game against us that he has played...
Sensing a trend here...
Quote from: valpotx on February 16, 2014, 06:21:34 PM
Once again, someone saying that Petros is actually good.  He must play better in these other games, as he looks like crap to me when he plays Valpo, regardless of his end of game stats.  This isn't my brown and gold-colored glasses either, as I think that Tiby from UWM is good, and will be tough over the next 2 years

Quote from: valpotx on March 03, 2014, 02:48:40 PM...In regards to Petros, my view is solely based on the two games I watched him play against us.  Regardless of what any stats might have shown, just watching him play, you don't say 'that guy is all league.'  I was begging him to shoot against us, and hoping that he got the ball versus Bader or Mondy.  He must have produced some quality games against the rest of the conference to get the honors. ...

Quote from: valpotx on February 09, 2014, 03:37:18 PMI said it during the first game, but I have no idea why anyone thinks that Petros is any good.  He got some easy layups today due to us not rotating, but he is a mess with his back to the basket.  That guy sucks, unless he just plays so much better against anyone that isn't Valpo.  I don't care what his stats might say, if you watch the game, you say, 'that guy blows, please let him shoot.' 
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on September 30, 2014, 01:03:38 PM
The Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook picks Valpo 5th in its preseason forecast, behind Green Bay (1), CSU (2), WSU (3), and Detroit (4). Their preseason all-league team is Keifer Sykes, GB; Trey Lewis, CSU; Juwan Howard, Jr., DET; Corey Petros, OAK; Alec Peters, Valpo. They pick Sykes as the HL Player of the Year.

I think this is a fair assessment and leaves room for the Crusaders to surprise "some" in the HL.

valpotx

You are correct.  I can't idly sit by while anyone talks that guy up, Saders ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Petros struggled against valpo's length.  He never found success with the taller, more athletic and longer valpo centers.  Vashil and moussa blocked majority of his shots. 

CRUSADERS!!!