• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Grand Valley State at Valpo - 11/6/14 7:05 CT

Started by EddieCabot, November 05, 2014, 10:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on November 06, 2014, 06:28:39 PMCan't remember where I predicted that Trevon Walker
probably has to do with spelling search terms correctly ;)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

humbleopinion

Quote from: RS on November 06, 2014, 09:58:43 PM
As a side light sat behind the Smits who were at the game, Derrik will definitely be a needed addition next year with his size

When I saw Rik walk by, I mentioned that I would definitely not want to be sitting behind him.

Other than D. Walker and Skara, there was very little to cause me to feel encouraged last night.  Last night was an exhibition game, but I wondered what was on exhibition -- certainly not great basketball.
Beamin' Beacons

classof2014

Overall I'm not too concerned with a sloppy looking exhibition game. We've had those in the past, last year versus Hillsdale and few years before that during the 11/12 season that took home the conference title.

Drew typically goes with an 8 man rotation so not everybody who saw ample playing time will play as much as they did. I wasn't at the game so I can't say much about how players played other than looking at the stat line and reading a few articles in the paper.

KC - had a poor shooting performance but he proved that he's a good player last season so no need to worry.
Darien Walker - Didn't start but probably will after he had a big game, which had him go 6-8 for 16 points and outplayed Tevonn
Alec - Not his best shooting night but had 17 points, 10-13 from the charity stripe, 1 TO to 3 Assists
Jubril - Strong game as well not many points but was very productive
Vashil - Didn't attempt a shot but he proved himself last season

___

EVN - Played well from what it sounds like after being sidelined this offseason, I'm sure it'll take a bit until he's fully 100% but I'm encouraged from what I saw and heard yesterday. Definitely gonna be a spark off the bench.
Skara - If this is a sign of things to come, I like what I see from Skara, as he filled up the stat line going 3-5 from the floor 3-3 from the FT line, had 8 boards and only 1 TO and 1 PF in 14 minutes of play. With lacking depth at the 4/5 if he can produce this will be huge down the line

That just leaves the 8 open for one of the guards to fill. Joseph had 0 TOs in 12 minutes of play which is very promising from a PG. My guess is it'll either be Joseph of Tevonn to be the eight man off the bench. Seems like both Davidson and Chadwick were rather quiet and didn't do a whole lot.

Yes, we had a poor shooting performance in the first half, 26% but shot much better in the 2nd at 45% and pulled away in the 2nd half. Overall, this is an exhibition, Drew wanted to get everyone in the game and experiment with lineups that we might never see again. Overall, I'm not concerned about this team but encouraged at some of the play, especially from Skara.

valpopal

Bryce started off his postgame press conference by acknowledging the game was a terrible one to watch from a spectator's standpoint. Clearly, there are a number of facets of the game that need work, most prominently the lack of shooting accuracy. The number of turnovers (20) was also a problem again. In addition, I was troubled by the fact Vashil took no shots at all. I thought this game should have been his to dominate.

On the positive side, Darien Walker looks as if he will work his way into the starting lineup, and Skara showed his ability to contribute. Alec is still a force for other teams to face, and it was good to see Nickerson on the court, though he admitted in the press conference to being very rusty and tired. In fact, he was jokingly carried off the court and back to the locker room by Hammink and Levingston-Simon at the end of the game. Also, Jubril seemed to display more confidence.

Below are a couple of my photos—Adekoya at the basket and Nickerson getting his first points as a Crusader.

sliman

I agree with most of the post-game observations, but I haven't seen any references to defense.  I thought we showed a better team defense than we've typically shown at this time of the year, certainly from the freshmen.  Skara and the two Canadians seemed to understand the basic concepts of good defense and showed the quickness to implement them.  I believe Skara and T. Walker spent much of the time guarding GV's leading scorer.  While Darien Walker had a great stretch where his offense gave us the lift we needed to win, his creativity and explosiveness on offense may make him a good man to come off the bench.  Nickerson showed more athleticism and greater ability to run the floor than I expected and may be the key to a successful season; hopefully his turnovers are something that can be chalked up to the emotions of playing for the first time in ages.  We may not win all the games we think we should this year, but the play of the freshmen and sophomores gave further reason to think the future is bright.

wh

Quote from: sliman on November 07, 2014, 09:56:56 AM
I agree with most of the post-game observations, but I haven't seen any references to defense.  I thought we showed a better team defense than we've typically shown at this time of the year, certainly from the freshmen. Skara and the two Canadians seemed to understand the basic concepts of good defense and showed the quickness to implement them.  I believe Skara and T. Walker spent much of the time guarding GV's leading scorer.  While Darien Walker had a great stretch where his offense gave us the lift we needed to win, his creativity and explosiveness on offense may make him a good man to come off the bench.  Nickerson showed more athleticism and greater ability to run the floor than I expected and may be the key to a successful season; hopefully his turnovers are something that can be chalked up to the emotions of playing for the first time in ages.  We may not win all the games we think we should this year, but the play of the freshmen and sophomores gave further reason to think the future is bright.

Good comments about play on the defensive end.  GVS's 52 points tied their lowest point total from last season (against Michigan State).   

wh

One more comment - GVS was an excellent opponent to help prepare our guys for regular season play. They have 3 or 4 guys that IMO  could play and contribute at the D-1 level. More than that they play very physical, hard-nosed D and scrap for every rebound and 50/50 ball. They are so much better than an IUN, for example, where everyone scores at will and feels better about themselves than they should. Instead, I'm guessing that a few of our guys found last night to be a somewhat humbling experience, which hopefully in turn becomes a teachable moment.

valpo64

I appreciate all of the comments about last night's game vs. GVSU.  We were not there but we look forward to next week's game vs. ETSU.  Can we call  one of the Walker boys "Walker's Deluxe"?

wh

The new player intro video was unveiled last night.  It's basically last year's video with this year's players inserted.  IMO it did a good job of energizing the crowd last year, so I'm glad they decided to stay with it. 

bbtds

Quote from: valpo64 on November 07, 2014, 01:28:56 PM
Can we call  one of the Walker boys "Walker's Deluxe"?

You could call them both Walker's Deluxe. Just say "make it a double."

bbtds

Of course Tavonn would probably want to be associated with

valpopal

I have uploaded a gallery of more than 25 photos from the game at the following, and I have included a number of images showing the new guys: enjoy! [size=78%]https://www.flickr.com/photos/96208998@N05/sets/72157646857333963/[/size]

Smj

interesting to read all your comments.   

It is an exhibition game and it is just about seeing players in what I usually think of as a open scrimmage (or a practice everyone pays to be able to watch.)

I "try" to remember that just because someone looks good in an exhibition does not mean it will translate to conference play.    I don't want to over-hype a player and then have to read all of the disappointment later. (Fun to watch someone "show up to play" but I remember seeing others in early games that could not do it again in the season)

I think we all need to remember that for some reason we play to our competition so this game does absolutely no foreshadowing in my humble opinion.  We have talent on this team and it should result in some entertaining games.

I am really looking forward to seeing how this team gels and who becomes the regular players.  This should be a fun year as players have more experience to bring into games.

covufan

I never expected this game to be easy.  I'd rather have a team like this on our schedule and move IUSB, Trinity, and Goshen to the exhibition game. 

a3uge

ICYMI, Memphis lost at home last night to a DII school called "Christian Brothers" - http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye-on-college-basketball/24802735/memphis-loses-exhibition-to-division-ii-christian-brothers

Not unheard of for D-II, D-III schools to occasionally beat or play well against D-I schools.

historyman

11-12-14 CBU beats Memphis

CBU is the oldest college in Memphis. The Buccaneers play in the D-II Gulf South Conference. The Bucs had come close many times against Memphis but they finally got over the hump.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Any word on how we did in the closed scrimmage against Buffalo?
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on November 14, 2014, 12:05:07 AMAny word on how we did in the closed scrimmage against Buffalo?

Some would say they just "winged" it. Others that they had a "wild" time.  ::)

Unfortunately when you play another D-I team you can't talk about the results of the scrimmage or the NCAA can levy sanctions on your program for too early of a "game."

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann