• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

East Tennessee State at Valpo - 11/14/14 7:30 CT

Started by wh, November 11, 2014, 10:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

wh

Vashil had one of his best games last year against ETS - 10 points, 14 rebounds, 3 blocks, 0 TO's in 31 minutes.  Alec also had some good numbers - 13 points and 9 rebounds.  Unfortunately, he also had 5 TO's. 

Speaking of TO's, last year we were 20th worst in D-1 and the worst in conference at 14.9/game.  The 24 team turnovers suffered against ETS was the worst. 

historyman

Quote from: wh on November 11, 2014, 10:52:41 PMVashil had one of his best games last year against ETS - 10 points, 14 rebounds, 3 blocks, 0 TO's in 31 minutes.  Alec also had some good numbers - 13 points and 9 rebounds.  Unfortunately, he also had 5 TO's. Speaking of TO's, last year we were 20th worst in D-1 and the worst in conference at 14.9/game.  The 24 team turnovers suffered against ETS was the worst.

Let's hope we have a lot of

instead of a lot of

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

bbtds

It took me a while because at first I was thinking of the word "lead" as in leading in the game. Then I realized those were "points" on pencils.

wh

bbtds

ETSU Mocs  65
Valpo         62

Another poor shooting and turnover filled game for the Crusaders. Things will turn-around for Valpo, though.

classof2014

Valpo 71
ETS 64

Opening night, always a good night and the added energy should help us win the game.

valpopal

I am hoping the Crusaders got the first-game nervousness out of their system in the exhibition and that the energy of an opening night home crowd will push them to victory: Valpo 75, ETSU 69.

ETSUfan1

One of my biggest surprises of last year was winning against you guys.  We are SMALL.  We have very talented guards but our forwards are totally unproven.  We will see what happens, but I think this is a good mid-major game.  Glad we had the chance for our two teams to play this series.  Good luck the rest of the year.

valpotx

I believe that we pull this one out at the end, with the home court advantage this time:

Valpo 73
ETSU 66
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

We are "ETSU"

The ETSU Department of Intercollegiate Athletics would like to ask both the print and broadcast media to honor our request to be called "ETSU" ... East Tennessee State University in first reference is acceptable, but subsequent references should be ETSU ... On TV graphics please use ETSU ... Our nickname is the Buccaneers, but Bucs is also acceptable.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VUfan

Vu 67 ETSU 69  We learn more about who can score  and if our backcourt can play tight Defense. Tight but not enough of either.

Kyle321n

Quote from: historyman on November 13, 2014, 04:20:42 PM
We are "ETSU"

The ETSU Department of Intercollegiate Athletics would like to ask both the print and broadcast media to honor our request to be called "ETSU" ... East Tennessee State University in first reference is acceptable, but subsequent references should be ETSU ... On TV graphics please use ETSU ... Our nickname is the Buccaneers, but Bucs is also acceptable.

Makes note to refer to them as just "East Tennessee" in any future recap I have to write.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

a3uge

bbtds

Quote from: valporun on November 13, 2014, 11:40:28 PM
Quote from: a3uge on November 13, 2014, 05:06:38 PM
Valpo 75 Eatenstu 65

Bookit.

I like "Eatenstu".

I like Eatenstu too!!!      ETSU, isn't dat da car paw drives?

Dat's da Appalachian skool over in  Chub...........I mean Johnson City.

wh

wh

Johnson City Press game day story:

Valparaiso to honor Bartow's father before game

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/article/122032/valparaiso-to-honor-bartows-father-before-game

"It would be nice if we'd get off to that start again," Bartow said. "We had a great first half a year ago. Valpo's a hard place to play. We'll have to play a really good game to sneak out of there with a win. Our guys are really excited."

Here's hoping for a big opening night crowd and a full, rowdy student section...

vu72

Here\s the Times article:

Home/Sports/Basketball/College Basketball
MEN'S BASKETBALL | SEASON PREVIEW
Valparaiso sophomore Peters ready to take control

Print Email

14 hours ago  •  Paul Oren Times Correspondent
(1) More Photos
Scouting Report
Who's Back: The Crusaders return three healthy starters this season, but only one player (Alec Peters) who averaged more than 20 minutes per game. Vashil Fernandez (58 blocks, 5.1 rpg) and Jubril Adekoya (53.7 FG percentage) will hold down the paint this season while Keith Carter (2.3 apg) will run the point. Starting point guard Lexus Williams suffered a torn ACL during the summer and will be sidelined for the 2014-15 season.

Who's New: The Crusaders welcome five eligible newcomers this season including Charlotte transfer E. Victor Nickerson. The Atlanta native had double hip surgery over the last year but is expected to provide a significant impact once fully healthy. Tevonn Walker is a 6-foot-1 shooting guard from Montreal that has the biggest potential of any of the newcomers. Darien Walker, a shooting guard from Chicago, won multiple state titles while playing at Simeon with Jabari Parker.

Outlook: The Crusaders that take the floor against East Tennessee State tonight won't represent the team Bryce Drew expected to have. As many as three potential starters will be out of the lineup this season as Lexus Williams (knee) and Shane Hammink (transfer) will be on the sidelines and E. Victor Nickerson is not expected to be fully healthy until conference play begins in January. That said, the Crusaders have plenty of talent to make some noise in the Horizon League this season. Peters has the potential to be one of the all-time greats to put on a Valparaiso uniform and Keith Carter is expected to make a significant jump this season. Two burning questions this year will revolve around who provides depth in the paint if Fernandez gets into foul trouble and who steps up to become a secondary scorer behind Peters. If those questions get sorted out there is no reason the Crusaders can't compete for a conference championship and a return to the NCAA tournament. -- Paul Oren

VALPARAISO | Alec Peters had to do a double-take when he looked at the measuring tape this summer. The Valparaiso sophomore had grown an inch since last season and not in the way that a player grows when the sports information director decides to get cute with the numbers.

Peters literally grew an inch and much like his height, the expectations surrounding the Preseason All-Horizon League pick have grown since last season. Now with a year under his belt, Peters suddenly has the weight of the program on his 225-pound chiseled frame.

"You could see the freshman mistakes on film last year, the careless turnovers, mistakes on defense," Peters said. "I see those mistakes and think if I just had a few more years under my belt I'd correct those. Also, it was my first year playing and you're going to make mistakes. I'll make mistakes in my second year. I'm not a perfect basketball player. I'm not the saving grace to Valparaiso basketball, but I'm here to win and hopefully get us back to the NCAA tournament."

The Crusaders host East Tennessee State tonight in their regular-season opener.

Peters took losses as hard as anyone last season and whenever things weren't going right on the court, he essentially begged the coaches for help to correct the problems. When a midseason slump started to rattle Peters' confidence, he found solace in the words of coaches Bryce Drew and Roger Powell.

"Every game seemed to run together and I told the coaches I needed help," Peters said. "They told me that everyone goes through it. A slump is not something that any player can avoid and you have to do something to dig yourself out."

For Peters, that meant changing his focus at practice. Instead of concentrating on a bad performance in a game, he would attack practice with an eagerness to get better. He turned the corner midway through the conference schedule and finished the season on a tear. Peters is bringing that same intensity to practice sessions this season and is hoping for even better results.

"He's a workhorse, either in the gym or in games," Drew said. "He knows how to take care of himself. He's such a competitive person in general and that really comes out when he's playing basketball. He wants to be the best."

Despite only being a sophomore, Peters leads the entire roster with the most career starts (34) and has been given the green light by the coaching staff to be as vocal as he'd like with his teammates.

"Being a leader and being more vocal is something I'm trying to pride myself on this year," Peters said. "The young guys are looking at me and that's humbling. I know I have to slow myself down sometimes when I start talking and that is something Coach Drew is doing a really good job of with me. He's giving me freedom to be that coach on the floor because obviously (the coaches) can't play, as much as they might want to, they can't go out there with us."

Peters has high expectations for the Crusaders this season despite some personnel issues. Leading scorer Lavonte Dority is now playing in Germany, Lexus Williams is out for the year with a knee injury and Vashil Fernandez is a few quick referee whistles away from leaving the Crusaders without a proven big man.

"I think this is another year where no one knows what to expect from us," Peters said. "My expectation every year is to win a conference championship. We've had moments in the preseason, in our scrimmage (against Buffalo) where we've shown what we can do. We have what it takes to win this year and I think we've shown we can play with just about anybody that we're going to play."
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on November 14, 2014, 07:14:02 AMVashil Fernandez is a few quick referee whistles away from leaving the Crusaders without a proven big man
so, so true: a Buggs-like 6.2 PF per 40 min played.  (apologies, Erik...you never crested 6!)

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/valparaiso/vashil-fernandez

although, he was #2 in the conference in something called "Clutch Win %"...even I have no idea about that stat though.

if you enjoyed the article 72 posted above, just click here as a small measure to both show appreciation to Oren and to send a message to his editors that people care a lot about vu bb:
http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/college/valparaiso-sophomore-peters-ready-to-take-control/article_85832b9c-1dde-52e0-9d9a-f151be4580ad.html

(NWI articles are still available to nonsubscribers...you just have to answer some lame question to 'continue reading')
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

FWalum

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 14, 2014, 07:49:19 AMif you enjoyed the article 72 posted above, just click here as a small measure to both show appreciation to Oren and to send a message to his editors that people care a lot about vu bb:
http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/college/valparaiso-sophomore-peters-ready-to-take-control/article_85832b9c-1dde-52e0-9d9a-f151be4580ad.html

(NWI articles are still available to nonsubscribers...you just have to answer some lame question to 'continue reading')
Really enjoyed this article so I looked at it online.  Other than just doing just that, is there some place to indicate support?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Kyle321n

Quote from: FWalum on November 14, 2014, 09:13:54 AM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 14, 2014, 07:49:19 AMif you enjoyed the article 72 posted above, just click here as a small measure to both show appreciation to Oren and to send a message to his editors that people care a lot about vu bb:

Really enjoyed this article so I looked at it online.  Other than just doing just that, is there some place to indicate support?

I don't know how it works in the newspaper game, but at MMM we care about page views. Paul could probably come let us know if clicking on an ad adds to the value of the article or what not (sometimes that's the biggest concern of some sites)

Also my question was "Have you heard of the Blue Man Group". I answered no, because CHAOS! :)
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on November 14, 2014, 09:13:54 AM

Recommend  button. Someone thinks "like" is too strong a word.  ;)