• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs UAPB at McGuirk Arena Mt Pleasant, MI 3:30 p.m. CT

Started by historyman, November 20, 2014, 07:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

The Arkansas-Pine Bluff athletics website is showing the game as 5:00 p.m. and not 3:30 p.m. Hope they are wrong because the 3 1/2 hour drive back around 7:30 p.m. sounds like a long day. Valpo's website has 3:30 p.m. still.

http://www.uapblionsroar.com/index.aspx?path=mbball&tab=0
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

I noticed there is live video on this website for the UAPB vs Valpo game but I don't know if there is a cost.

Of course UAPB fans think the game starts at 5:00 p.m. CT

http://cmuchippewas.cstv.com/collegesportslive/
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpospartan

Quote from: historyman on November 20, 2014, 08:26:58 PM
I noticed there is live video on this website for the UAPB vs Valpo game but I don't know if there is a cost.

It looks like there is a cost.

vu72

Quote from: valpospartan on November 20, 2014, 09:05:20 PM
Quote from: historyman on November 20, 2014, 08:26:58 PM

It looks like there is a cost.

It's worth it!!  I'll pay up to $3 to see this matchup!!   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

valporun

I think most, if not all, SWAC schools play on the road or in tourneys for November and December to build up the athletic budgets for the other sports they have. Plus, none of the Power conferences want to play at SWAC schools, where a shocking upset would kill their RPI.

historyman

It's 27 degrees, so not even as cold as it was in Valpo when I left. There's not nearly as much snow on the ground as I thought. See-Misch is nicer than Indiana State and Mt Pleasant is slightly smaller than Valpo with a decent strip of businesses down Bus Hwy 127. At least it's no McComb, IL.

I read an historical marker that said the Chippewa Indian Reservation in Isabella County is related to the Germans in Frankenmuth. When the Ojibwa (Chippewa) lived in the Saginaw valley the Lutherans were sent to evangelize the natives. Unfortunately the Ojibwa were moved from the Franconian colonies to the reservation in Isabella Co. So the Germans decided to stay and let the Methodists to the evangelizing of the Ojibwa. So if it weren't for the natives in the Saginaw Valley there sure wouldn't be as many Lutherans in Michigan.

Anyway on to McGuirk Arena.

a3uge

Quote from: valporun on November 21, 2014, 10:39:50 AM
I think most, if not all, SWAC schools play on the road or in tourneys for November and December to build up the athletic budgets for the other sports they have. Plus, none of the Power conferences want to play at SWAC schools, where a shocking upset would kill their RPI.

Not only an upset kills RPI, a 100 point win hurts RPI and SOS as well.

valpo4life

First time ever listening to Todd for a full game on the radio broadcast. I don't know if he's a part of this message board or not, but if he is I would like to give out one recommendation. There are times all I hear is last name after last name, with no real description to where he is at. I know at times the game moves too fast, as I have done two full basketball seasons on the radio before, but small things like saying "right wing" or "right corner" would be appreciated. Besides that, love the voice and the passion!

Kyle321n

Quote from: valpo4life on November 21, 2014, 04:27:06 PM
First time ever listening to Todd for a full game on the radio broadcast. I don't know if he's a part of this message board or not, but if he is I would like to give out one recommendation. There are times all I hear is last name after last name, with no real description to where he is at. I know at times the game moves too fast, as I have done two full basketball seasons on the radio before, but small things like saying "right wing" or "right corner" would be appreciated. Besides that, love the voice and the passion!

You'll find him posting as "chef" and I think he's pretty under rated as a PbP. I listen to him whenever there's a road game (usually from my computer which is why I can never remember what app streams the games)
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

wh

Looking at Game Tracker, I see we scored 6 points over that last 9 1/2 minutes of the game.  What was that about?

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

GVS - 52
ETSU - 76
Missouri - 56
IUSB - 55
UAPB - 46
AV - 57 ppg

Do these scores mean we have adopted a play hard defense philosophy? If so, I like it.  If not, why are scores so low -- ineptness?

Please frame answers in a context a FB guy can understand  ;)

Chairback

17 turnovers.  50% from the charity line. 26% from downtown is your answer.   This was a cupcake team we played.

However it was interesting to hear Milo Stovall was at the game.  One of my all time favs.

Also, laughed at our announcer (not Todd) about a UAPB player attempting a highlight reel dunk however "no one would ever see it except for the 100 people in attendance."  That was funny to hear after a long day and really think he did a nice with Todd calling the game. 

historyman

Quote from: Chairback on November 21, 2014, 06:12:56 PM100 people in attendance." 

Maybe 50. CMU is lighting up Maine with threes & then interior passes. 39-17 2:31 to go in 1st half.

VULB#62

Quote from: Chairback on November 21, 2014, 06:12:56 PM
17 turnovers.  50% from the charity line. 26% from downtown is your answer.   This was a cupcake team we played.

OK.  Ineptness.  I'm assuming ours and theirs given our only comfortable margin was against IUSB.     Ah.... that's not good, is it?

vusupporter

We took our foot off the gas the last 10 minutes.  Could have easily been a 20-25 point win if we kept pressing the issue.  Instead, trying to save legs for Sunday morning.

Chairback

Why do we not play CMU?  Maine looks to be an easy game.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

justducky

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 21, 2014, 06:04:17 PM
GVS - 52
ETSU - 76
Missouri - 56
IUSB - 55
UAPB - 46
AV - 57 ppg

Do these scores mean we have adopted a play hard defense philosophy? If so, I like it.  If not, why are scores so low -- ineptness?

Please frame answers in a context a FB guy can understand  ;)
In the Bryce Drew years we have progressively played more and more man to man defense with a big reduction in our once almost total zone reliance. I expect this trend to continue in part because Bryce is finding better quicker athletes who can defensively keep up with all but the best. I think the only reason he chose to play some zone in the last 2 games was to rest some legs because it certainly was not necessitated by the level of talent we faced. Over time our team quickness may lead to some track meet games where our points allowed numbers are not as impressive but if they result in wins then I could care less.

setshot

Butler beat Maine by 42 pts. The game was played at Hinkle so the "Dogs" enjoyed a home court advantage. Now,Valpo plays Maine at a neutral site so I'll predict a Valpo win by less than 20 pts. Book it! "Fill the steins -----"