• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs Drake at Nashville Municipal Auditorium Friday 11/28/2014 5:00p.m. CT

Started by historyman, November 24, 2014, 01:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

Quote from: Kyle321n on November 24, 2014, 02:49:44 PMbut they also lost to IUPUI.
In the spirit of full disclosure, Tiby only played 4 minutes in this game and IUPUI also beat Ball State.  Might not end up being such a terrible loss.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

EddieCabot

Quote from: FWalum on November 24, 2014, 09:01:04 PM
Quote from: Kyle321n on November 24, 2014, 02:49:44 PMbut they also lost to IUPUI.
In the spirit of full disclosure, Tiby only played 4 minutes in this game and IUPUI also beat Ball State.  Might not end up being such a terrible loss.

No offense, but IUPUI is coming off back-to-back 6 win seasons ... it's a bad loss.

FWalum

Quote from: EddieCabot on November 24, 2014, 09:11:53 PM
Quote from: FWalum on November 24, 2014, 09:01:04 PM

No offense, but IUPUI is coming off back-to-back 6 win seasons ... it's a bad loss.
Gardner has been pretty impressive in game management from what I have seen.  I expect that IUPUI will do much better than 6 wins this year.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpo64

Will there be any video or audio available for the Nashville games this weekend?

Kyle321n

Quote from: valpo64 on November 25, 2014, 03:45:17 PM
Will there be any video or audio available for the Nashville games this weekend?

Well we know Todd will be on the call all 3 games and they always stream the feed on WVUR. This "challenge" seems a little underwhelming and I can't find any good information about it (How it started, if there's video streaming, anything besides the fact that there are tickets available) so I highly doubt that there's video.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

covufan

Would love to see a 12-15 point win, but doubt it.  Most have this game as a 4-8 point win for VU. 

Valpo   71
Drake   64

bbtds

Quote from: Kyle321n on November 25, 2014, 03:52:09 PM
Quote from: valpo64 on November 25, 2014, 03:45:17 PM

Well we know Todd will be on the call all 3 games and they always stream the feed on WVUR. This "challenge" seems a little underwhelming and I can't find any good information about it (How it started, if there's video streaming, anything besides the fact that there are tickets available) so I highly doubt that there's video.

A lot of there not being much information on this "challenge" is that 2014 is the first year of the tournament. Also the Central Michigan tournament was in it's first year. BTW, CMU knocked off UAPB 75-43 in their afternoon game Sunday. The reason teams are attracted to these tournaments is because it allows teams such as Valpo to play exempt games. I imagine the reason VU is playing in Mt Pleasant and Nashville instead of Maui, Cancun, Anchorage or Puerto Rico is the cost of traveling to these tournaments. Suffering through low attendance at the first years of these tournaments is the "cost" of getting them established and getting to play closer to home so that fans can travel less expensively to the games.

Unfortunately due to unforeseen issues I will not be getting up to Carmel tonight for the Zionsville/Carmel battle.   

bbtds

Quote from: EddieCabot on November 24, 2014, 09:11:53 PM

Quote from: FWalum on November 24, 2014, 09:50:13 PMGardner has been pretty impressive in game management from what I have seen.  I expect that IUPUI will do much better than 6 wins this year.

I agree with FWalum. You really can't judge IUPUI on last year's record since they have a new coach, who also brought three players from Loyola with him, and has a great area to recruit from.

FWalum

Drake wins by 13 73-60 against IUPUI.  They shot an impressive 60.9% from the floor and their 7' 0" sophomore Jensen had 4 blocks. This will be a good test for the Crusaders

78crusader

University of Northern Iowa beat Virginia Tech last night.  The MVC is a tougher league than the HL and Friday's game against Drake will be very tough.

Paul

Pgmado

Quote from: Kyle321n on November 25, 2014, 03:52:09 PMWell we know Todd will be on the call all 3 games and they always stream the feed on WVUR.

Just want to make a point that WVUR doesn't "stream" someone elses broadcast. WVUR produces the broadcast, including the pregame, postgame and halftime show. Other radio stations stream the feed.

wh

Spreads:

Valpo -5 vs. Drake (avg. of 4 services)

MSU -2.5 vs. Portland

rink

I'll be in attendance tonight, cheering on Valpo to victory, hopefully. Anyone else?

rink

Adekoya was stirring the drink, Bryce takes him out.

And Peters with abysmal fast break execution .

rink

29-21 valpo at the half.  Peters took a while to get going, now seems to be on track.  Foul trouble for T Walker, some really tick tack calls. #3 and #25 are carrying Drake, otherwise it wouldn't be close.

Weird environment here. Only about 300 people in attendance for game 1. Quiet.

FWalum

Would love to be seeing this game.  Even with the poor shooting it seems that we are playing very good ball scoring the first 5 of the second half.  Hope to hear more of your impressions rink.

FWalum

rink

Up 24 with 8:00 to go. D Walker and KC hot from outside this half. Peters solid. Stout defense from the crusaders. Almost had some trouble with their press earlier, but it was a really soft press that we figured out quickly. Similarly, when they switched to 2-3 zone, the guys broke it quickly with excellent ball swing.

FWalum

Quote from: 78crusader on November 26, 2014, 09:48:58 PM
University of Northern Iowa beat Virginia Tech last night.  The MVC is a tougher league than the HL and Friday's game against Drake will be very tough.

Realy surprised that this is a 20 point blowout especially with the subpar performance by Peters.

valpotx

Valpo 66-46.  I will take 5 pts/7 rbs from Vashil every game.  Eat it Vashil detractors ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

Kyle321n

This is a really good showing against a team who would be average in our league, think Oakland or Milwaukee. Hopefully this is a sign off things to come.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valpopal

Valpo did a nice job on one of their two weak points by committing only 4 turnovers! The other weak spot in free throw shooting still needs improvement, but not horrible (11-17 65%). Good team win for Crusaders.

FWalum

Super impressive that Carter held their leading scorer to a big goose egg.  Yes that is right, 0 points with Carter taking 2 charges.  I hope this is the confidence builder that Keith can take forward into the rest of the season.  GREAT all around game.

valpotx

Yes, 12 asst/4 TO is great.  We actually ended up 11/16 in FTs, as the live stats gave Joseph a missed FT instead of a missed 3.
"Don't mess with Texas"