• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Commentary by Mark Heckler on paying Student-Athletes

Started by vu84v2, November 24, 2014, 02:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: vu84v2 on November 24, 2014, 02:01:42 PM
An interesting commentary...agree with much of this, but I am not comfortable with a few points in this commentary.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/opinion/columnists/guest-columnists/guest-commentary-should-student-athletes-be-paid/article_52456b61-40f3-5a90-9f57-2b4e72af378a.html#.VHN1-FD8z0M.email

Just curious - which points are you not comfortable with?  (Sincere question - no hidden agendas :))

VULB#62

vu84v2

Point 1 - At Valpo, our student-athletes come not to make a living; they come to make a life of significance, a life of purpose.

The overall theme and comments throughout the commentary are good and stress the comprehensive development of student-athletes.  However, the statement of "coming not to make a living" seems to imply that no athletes come to make a living playing sports.  I am not sure that is the exact message you would want to say to better basketball recruits who may harbor some possibility of playing in the NBA (unlikely as that may be for the average Valpo recruit) or want to play in Europe (very likely given many past examples).

Point 2 - the university's mission to prepare students to lead and serve in both church and society

Society? Absolutely!  And that, of course, can include churches or any other religious affiliation that the student chooses in their life.  But church specifically?  That would seem to imply that the university has a mission to prepare students only to lead and serve in a christian environment (what about synagogues, mosques, temples, etc.?)  The university is religiously affiliated and can and should provide development and programs related to that for those who want it.  But it cannot be the focus of the university to prepare all students to lead and serve in churches regardless of their beliefs.

I both cases, I believe that these are just examples of a poor choice of words. 

VULB#62

I kinda agree with those subtle nuances that you point to (but that's just me -- other may think he was too wishy-washy on the faith element). We can always edit in retrospect from our particular perspectives.  But as as President Heckler's self-appointed ghost writer, I will do some revisionist editing from MY perspective right now:

Quote from: vu84v2 on November 24, 2014, 06:04:00 PM
Point 1 - At Valpo, our student-athletes come not to make a living at sports; they come to make a life of significance, a life of purpose that might include professional athletics somewhere down the road.

The overall theme and comments throughout the commentary are good and stress the comprehensive development of student-athletes.  However, the statement of "coming not to make a living" seems to imply that no athletes come to make a living playing sports.  I am not sure that is the exact message you would want to say to better basketball recruits who may harbor some possibility of playing in the NBA (unlikely as that may be for the average Valpo recruit) or want to play in Europe (very likely given many past examples).

Point 2 - the university's mission to prepare students to lead and serve in both church and society society as a whole and the church.

Society? Absolutely!  And that, of course, can include churches or any other religious affiliation that the student chooses in their life.  But church specifically?  That would seem to imply that the university has a mission to prepare students only to lead and serve in a christian environment (what about synagogues, mosques, temples, etc.?)  The university is religiously affiliated and can and should provide development and programs related to that for those who want it.  But it cannot be the focus of the university to prepare all students to lead and serve in churches regardless of their beliefs.

Overall, I thought his position and the message he conveyed, for a mid-major like Valpo, was spot on. There is a place in a D-I school for athletics that isn't the tail wagging the dog. However, if, indeed,  the student comes before the athlete, schools like Valpo should not try to run a Power 5- or BCS-like program that consumes every waking hour of a student's day. In line with President Heckler's line of thought, there should be a balance among studies, athletics and social life that precludes the need for a "salary".  I'm pretty certain Valpo is walking the walk and talking the talk in that respect.

wh

Quote from: vu84v2 on November 24, 2014, 06:04:00 PM
Point 1 - At Valpo, our student-athletes come not to make a living; they come to make a life of significance, a life of purpose.

Point 2 - the university's mission to prepare students to lead and serve in both church and society

Obviously, you thought about this on a deeper level than I did, and you raise some interesting points. In general I thought it was a good commentary, but I can see where the way certain statements are expressed could cause some confusion to some.   

vu72

If you look at the mission of the University, perhaps the better word(s) other then "church" may have been to say "spiritual".  We need not apologize for being Christian, yet we are open and encourage all students to seek their place in society while putting emphasis on the role of spiritual importance on the overall improvement/maintenance of a civilized society.

As for students not coming to make a living in sports, I don't have an issue with the statement.  99% of our athletes come to get an education via scholarship or not.  Our goal must be to shape these young people and prepare them for a meaningful life beyond college.
GOOD FOR THEM!! It is, however, not the role of the University to prepare them for same.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

edit: i don't have the time to fix the fail in this thread
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

Christianity is one of the best recruiting tools for Valpo's athletic teams. Its clear that the players enjoy a Christian environment, and in many cases, are dawn to Valpo because of it. If Valpo, with their size/location had no religious affiliation whatsoever like a Butler or Notre Dame, I think they'd have a remarkably hard time landing some recruits.

Also, the environment seems to keep players out of trouble. I haven't heard of a Zay Jackson from Murray State situation from Valpo or anything close. Even Jay Harris was able to stay out of trouble here.

crusaderjoe

Let's say that you were the Chairman and/or CEO of a certain investment group that wanted to build a multi-purpose sports arena in Porter County—one that could potentially solve Valpo's basketball venue issues with the scoop of a shovel.  After reading these remarks, would you feel confident in moving forward with such a project with the vision of VU serving as a major tenant? 

I'm not sure I would.

a3uge

Quote from: crusaderjoe on November 25, 2014, 01:17:17 PM
Let's say that you were the Chairman and/or CEO of a certain investment group that wanted to build a multi-purpose sports arena in Porter County—one that could potentially solve Valpo's basketball venue issues with the scoop of a shovel.  After reading these remarks, would you feel confident in moving forward with such a project with the vision of VU serving as a major tenant? 

I'm not sure I would.

I would hope someone about to blow $50,000,000 for an arena wouldn't base his decisions on 4 or 5 comments from a message board.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: a3uge on November 25, 2014, 03:40:56 PM
Quote from: crusaderjoe on November 25, 2014, 01:17:17 PM

I'm not sure I would.

I would hope someone about to blow $50,000,000 for an arena wouldn't base his decisions on 4 or 5 comments from a message board.

I was talking about the President's remarks.

atkins

This thread has several insightful postings.  The membership of this fan board is small in number, but the commentary is respectful and full of wisdom.  Take a look at comments on some of the BCS fan boards. I wonder how some of those people even graduated. 

justducky

Quote from: atkins on November 26, 2014, 02:55:02 PM
This thread has several insightful postings.  The membership of this fan board is small in number, but the commentary is respectful and full of wisdom.  Take a look at comments on some of the BCS fan boards. I wonder how some of those people even graduated. 
Hey wait--you know I went to a BCS school and hey wait I didn't graduate either so, so, so----Oh never mind!  ::)

atkins

You can write and have a sense of humor, justducky, so you wouldn't be a suitable member of your university's fan board.