• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where in the world is/was

Started by IndyValpo, February 03, 2012, 02:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

Quote from: Smj on November 07, 2014, 07:23:46 AM
Anyone know why Jay Harris did not play last night for UIC?

He is suspended 3 games for violating team rules (via Valpowikileaks)

vu72

Quote from: Smj on November 07, 2014, 07:23:46 AM
Anyone know why Jay Harris did not play last night for UIC?

I think this kid would have been a bunch of trouble if he had stayed at Valpo and probably why he left.  He was suspended while at Wagner as well.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

sliman

A note in the newspaper indicated Harris and a freshman both were suspended three games for violating team rules.

wh

More than suspended at Wagner, wasn't he dismissed from the team?  Similar to Mondy from Oakland - in trouble wherever he went.  And, please spare me the "they're just kids" and "were you perfect at their age" excuses. These "kids" have their hands held by more positive adult influences - coaching staffs, tutors, etc. - than any other student in college, yet they still do the wrong thing. Repeated bad behavior is selfish and a slap in the face to everyone supporting them and working their butts off to help them be successful.

classof2014

Hard to imagine that Harris played with Brandon Wood, Corey Johnson, Michael Rogers, Howard Little etc... He was a bigger name recruit when Valpo got him and looked like he was a keeper after being a regular in the 2010/11 season. Unfortunately for him that was the highlight of his career, he was mediocre his sophomore season but guys like Kenney, Buggs, Rowdy, KVW all stepped up and well all he did was shoot lights out from the free-throw line.

There were times that I thought he didn't try as hard as he could have, he would look defeated, and never showed emotion. So I wasn't surprised when he decided to transfer and went to a smaller school in Wagner, where he was putting himself a good season together when he got suspended for violating team rules. After one season at Wagner he transferred once again, coming closer to home, to an even worse off UIC squad, that is poor at best. Before even suiting up he is once again suspended. I wish him the best and hope he gets his act together, he's 22, on his third team, and has been suspended twice.

Makes you wonder if he was basically asked to leave Valpo due to run-ins with the law. Crazy to think that he is the final link that Valpo has to the 10/11 team, seems so long ago.

vu72

Nice story on Clay Yeo, who is apparently very happy being the center of attention again.  Good for him!

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/college/basketball/college-basketball-yeo-is-back-to-ruling-the-court/article_bf466e7f-0d6d-57ca-b69d-6bfd96f9ce0b.html

Interesting that all their games show an attendance of "0" !!   ???
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Interesting observation from the article:

"During his one season at Valpo, Yeo's mind was so cluttered with questions —  Why didn't he play more? Could he play at that level? Should he transfer? —  that it clouded his ability to play with an all-important free mind. Not now. These days, there are no worries."

It appears there was a self-questioning confidence thing going as well as discomfort/impatience about having to wait, improveg and adjust to D-I BB.  He very well might have grown to be the shooter he is at Bethel, but in D-I that would have to have evolved.  At Bethel he's back right away to being the big fish in a much smaller pond. That's fine for him.

Kyle321n

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 14, 2014, 11:54:34 AM

Interesting observation from the article:

"During his one season at Valpo, Yeo's mind was so cluttered with questions —  Why didn't he play more? Could he play at that level? Should he transfer? —  that it clouded his ability to play with an all-important free mind. Not now. These days, there are no worries."

It appears there was a self-questioning confidence thing going as well as discomfort/impatience about having to wait, improveg and adjust to D-I BB.  He very well might have grown to be the shooter he is at Bethel, but in D-I that would have to have evolved.  At Bethel he's back right away to being the big fish in a much smaller pond. That's fine for him.

Man I hope he does well at Bethel, but after that Oakland game I saw big things coming for him. He absolutely shut down Bader and he was about as clutch as Robert Horry with his shots.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

wh

Nothing surprising here. He was a developing D-1 player with potential, playing down several levels. He spent a year being coached up by an excellent coaching staff dedicated to helping him reach his full potential, and played and  practicied against athletes better than anyone he will face this entire season.  Most of all, I'm happy that this huge investment in Clay is paying dividends somewhere else.

Kyle321n

Bethel's Clay Yeo Earns Crossroads League Player of the Week

Looks like he's doing well as the big fish. Also when did valpopal start doing graphics for other schools?
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

historyman

Quote from: Kyle321n on November 17, 2014, 02:07:19 PMBethel's Clay Yeo Earns Crossroads League Player of the Week Looks like he's doing well as the big fish. Also when did valpopal start doing graphics for other schools?

I'm wondering if Greg Tonagel and his National Champion Indiana Wesleyan Wildcats will find some way to shut down Yeo at Bethel on Nov. 25, next Tue. or Jan. 24 in Marion.

By the way, Bethel plays IU-S.Bend at IU-SB tomorrow, Tue, at 7:00 p.m. EDT

(Bethel has radio coverage  http://www.audiosportsonline.net/2014winter/bethel/)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Using this thread (apologies if necessary) to put out an APB for:

HC!  http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=311
Last active Nov 5 (before the season started!)
Last post June 26

KL31NY!  http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=47
Last active Oct 26
Last post July 16

agibson!  http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=27
Last active October 5
Last post July 27

MattCarter! http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=206
Last active Dec 14, 2013 (!)
Last post Dec 3, 2013

I think what I will do is reach out via DM to each of them and tell them they are missed, ask if they're ok, etc.  If you want to too, so they know it's not just me, that might be nice too?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

VHS thumps Hobart (again).

Thought old-timers like me (shudder to think) might enjoy this update:
Quote[VHS coach Matt] Thomas used several young players late in the game, including freshman Curtis Jones, son of former Wheeler coach Mike Jones. He swished his first varsity shot, a 3-pointer from the right corner, and finished with eight points to go along with two rebounds.

"It's not a secret that Curtis is mature beyond his years," Thomas said. "But he's also humble, willing to learn and a great team player."

I don't think Kimmel or even Hummel and Martin played varsity as freshmen, did they?  Certainly as sophomores.  Only freshman guard I can remember is...B-Drew.  (Although BD did more than play late game...)

EDIT:  here's a picture.  no doubt whose kid this is, right?

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

Found this and loved it.  Two things:

1) love that he has a shaved head when one of the things I always tried was to mimic his hairstyle

2) HE WAS A MATH MAJOR PEOPLE

historyman

How about this former Valpo basketball player who also happens to be bald.

http://www.bbpmag.com/2010s/10bio/Kipfer-max-10.php
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 27, 2014, 07:40:51 AMUsing this thread (apologies if necessary) to put out an APB for:

Thanks for the concern!

A little funny, in retrospect, that I was gone so long.  I was following Rowdy reasonably closely in the FIBA, and definitely following VUMSO and, admittedly in somewhat bandwagon style, VUWSO.  But, fell out of the habit of dropping in here.  I did follow VU basketball less than usual in the off season.  But, have definitely been following on the radio and streaming.  Finally to the ARC tomorrow.

Smj

Anyone else see that a Little was at the game yesterday?    I was going to say hi to him but he was in chair back section and I was behind the team.  my wife thought he would think i was weird but I think a player coming back would want to be remembered. ...

bbtds

Quote from: Smj on December 07, 2014, 09:38:58 AM
Anyone else see that a Little was at the game yesterday?    I was going to say hi to him but he was in chair back section and I was behind the team.  my wife thought he would think i was weird but I think a player coming back would want to be remembered. ...

I assume you mean Howard Little and that deserves a replay of his famous moment against Futler. Remember they went to the National Championship that year in 2010-2011.

When my DVR crapped out my biggest disappointment was losing the recording of that game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XiVuZX6f0U

EDIT: I was so engrossed in watching the video I forgot to take out the "s" on the end of the "https." (period inside the quotation marks--I'm not bl**dy British)

Smj

Thanks for posting.   I smiled through that entire video. ........

LaPorteAveApostle

Going to embed for bbtds because that should be here forever. 

I miss Rowdy too :/

Valpo Crusaders (MBB) vs. Butler 1/29/2011

LaPorteAveApostle

valpotx

I have to think that he has enough talent to play in a lower tier league in Europe or Oceania.  He should try playing in Australia's league, or somewhere like a Slovakia/Slovenia.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on December 09, 2014, 01:17:10 AM
I have to think that he has enough talent to play in a lower tier league in Europe or Oceania.  He should try playing in Australia's league, or somewhere like a Slovakia/Slovenia.
Does he? The NBL in Australia and the Extraliga in Slovakia are pretty top of the world leagues. Yes, their top players play in America but that makes the home leagues that much better when some of those players come back home to play when their time in the NBA is exhausted.

valpotx

Ok, how about Japan then?  Calum MacLeod was even able to play in that league.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Jay Harris put in 32 as UIC beat UCF last night.