• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Something new...

Started by 78crusader, June 02, 2011, 03:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78crusader

The Valpo Crusader says on Facebook that something new will be unveiled for VU athletics in the next month.

My guess is it will be a revised mascot.  I would prefer the announcement that VU will build a new track around Brown Field, however.

Paul

cornonthe

I'm gunna guess ice and a refer system for Division I hockey... :lol: It could happen...

valpospartan

Quote from: 78crusader on June 02, 2011, 03:19:07 PM
The Valpo Crusader says on Facebook that something new will be unveiled for VU athletics in the next month.

My guess is it will be a revised mascot. I would prefer the announcement that VU will build a new track around Brown Field, however.

Paul

One can only hope.

valpofan56

Quote from: cornonthe on June 02, 2011, 08:39:27 PM
I'm gunna guess ice and a refer system for Division I hockey... :lol: It could happen...

One can only hope.

covufan

I don't see hockey, but maybe men's lacrosse?  The new mascot is a good guess.

valpofan56

Quote from: covufan on June 03, 2011, 11:27:14 AM

I don't see hockey, but maybe men's lacrosse?  The new mascot is a good guess.

It definitely won't be hockey, but I would be so pumped if it were.  I would buy season tickets the minute they became available!

rlh

I have a feeling it's more than just a new Mascot...with the prepub, I certainly hope so anyway....although a new mascot will definitely help.....

new2ff

Could it be lights for softball stadium. So when they win the conference next year, they can host the tourney on campus. Maybe even host a 5-6 team regular season tourney. Might just be dreaming.

78crusader

Just thought of something...aren't they replacing the scoreboards in the gym?  If so, could that be the news?

I would hope it would be something "bigger" than that, although I'm not downplaying the importance of having new scoreboards in the ARC.

My secret wish would be a new 4,000 seat football stadium with a new track.  Probably a pipe dream, and I'm maybe the only one on this forum who thinks that a new football facility is needed more than an updated ARC or a new basketball arena.

Paul

rlh

With the new turf and scoreboard, I think you can forget about a new football field, although new bleachers, restrooms at the field and a new pressbox would be nice.....I have a feeling it's bigger than that.....

valpomarketingguy

Quote from: rlh on June 03, 2011, 04:40:41 PM
With the new turf and scoreboard, I think you can forget about a new football field, although new bleachers, restrooms at the field and a new pressbox would be nice.....I have a feeling it's bigger than that.....

We are trying to create some buzz (which apparently has worked well so far with minimal effort).  However, I want to temper your expectations a bit. I trust that the announcement will enhance your experience as a Valpo fan, but it is not as large as a new facility or new sport program for the department. As always, thanks for your tremendous support of Valpo Athletics!

78crusader

rlh...I guess that's what I meant when I mentioned a new football facility...the new field is already in place, I think we need a new stadium to go along with it.  What do you think the announcement could be, rlh?  Any guesses?  Paul

covufan

Quote from: valpomarketingguy on June 03, 2011, 05:04:10 PM
Quote from: rlh on June 03, 2011, 04:40:41 PM

We are trying to create some buzz (which apparently has worked well so far with minimal effort).  However, I want to temper your expectations a bit. I trust that the announcement will enhance your experience as a Valpo fan, but it is not as large as a new facility or new sport program for the department. As always, thanks for your tremendous support of Valpo Athletics!

VU is creating buzz via Facebook page that enhances the Valpo fan experience, but not as large as new facility or sports program.  An updated mascot might do the trick.  I'm now expecting something web based that the Valpo fan can utilize - something related to Facebook or Twitter perhaps?  Any other ideas?

vuweathernerd

replacing the scoreboards in the arc would be nice. they just replaced the floor last summer. perhaps the improvements continue?

rlh

I talked with one of the people in the athletic department the other night and was told that he had no idea what the big announcement will be....he said he knew of two things that were coming, but neither would he classify as major announcements....he swore to me that he did not know what the notice on facebook and here concerned....my guess, a holiday tournament at Thanksgiving (Homer and I discussed that once a couple of years ago), a big name team coming here to play us in the ARC, new scoreboards in the ARC with video boards, and a new mascot.  All make since, but I have no idea of any of them are what's up.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.

sectionee

All of those sound pretty good.  We already know there is going to be a tournament around Thanksgiving so I will put my money on that being announced with the teams that will be involved.

dcvalpo

So, vumarketingguy, when is the approximate date on this announcement?

agibson

EE confirmed the Thanksgiving tournament in his interview with Homer, right?  A Coaches vs. Cancer regional or some such.

A new sound system (or just a better tuned one?) for the ARC wouldn't be bad...

vuweathernerd

Quote from: agibson on June 06, 2011, 02:34:36 AM
EE confirmed the Thanksgiving tournament in his interview with Homer, right?  A Coaches vs. Cancer regional or some such.

A new sound system (or just a better tuned one?) for the ARC wouldn't be bad...

hell, even somebody who knows how to run it would be a step up. the recently-graduated head sound tech for the chapel and upc may still be looking for a job.

govalpogo

Quote from: vuweathernerd on June 07, 2011, 06:44:54 PM
hell, even somebody who knows how to run it would be a step up. the recently-graduated head sound tech for the chapel and upc may still be looking for a job.

Haha, he got a job as a youth pastor in South Dakota.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: govalpogo on June 10, 2011, 10:23:11 AM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on June 07, 2011, 06:44:54 PM

Haha, he got a job as a youth pastor in South Dakota.

cool beans. good for him.  :) but damn at the same time.