• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

David Skara is transferring...

Started by Valpofan00, April 18, 2016, 09:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chef

I'll say this that David is a great kid, and it's very sad to see him go. I wish him the best of luck. As Paul has implied there's a lot to this story. The coaching staff would love him to stay, of course. I think David would probably like to stay, but again there's a lot to this story. I want to make this very clear, David has done nothing wrong and is a great kid, but he's caught up in some b.s. Yes Paul it will be interesting to see how this develops.

nkvu

Really hate to see this. Have to think he would get 20 - 25 minutes a game at the 3 or 4 if he stayed, maybe more if Peters doesn't come back. Would have looked for this to be his breakout year if he could start off and stay healthy.  What a shame.

valpotx

Well this doesn't help my mentality over the next few weeks, as I am sure that the general public (the majority of us) will never hear why he is having to transfer.  Let the wild speculation begin!  Too bad, as I really liked him as a player, and his potential for next season.  I will root him on wherever he ends up, as he helped us quite a bit over the last 2 seasons.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Quote from: chef on April 18, 2016, 11:15:46 PM
I'll say this that David is a great kid, and it's very sad to see him go. I wish him the best of luck. As Paul has implied there's a lot to this story. The coaching staff would love him to stay, of course. I think David would probably like to stay, but again there's a lot to this story. I want to make this very clear, David has done nothing wrong and is a great kid, but he's caught up in some b.s. Yes Paul it will be interesting to see how this develops.

Wha??????

If b.s. can be resolved (if at all possible and in a reasonable timeframe) could he / might he rescind his transfer request? 

valpolaw

What is the bs that David is allegedly caught up in?

VULB#62

I think Chef would have disclosed it, but apparently, he felt he couldn't.

My totally baseless thinking on this is that before David's request went in, he and the coaching staff had some deep discussions. David impressed me as a thoughtful kid, so Chef's comment leads me to believe that a release was the only option left after those discussions.  But like everyone else at this point, I'm engaging in pure speculation

If he does wind up leaving the university, I'll be sad.

chef

There are adults that David is close to that were hoping to get on the new VU staff, when they didn't they encouraged David to leave.

StlVUFan

Perhaps he sees his playing time diminishing with the new recruits coming in and talk of playing both big men at the same time?  It feels like he fell a little behind Shane Hammink in the playing time thing as well.

As for the b.s., I hate to think that's coming from the new regime.  Perhaps it's an academic thing?  Or outsiders are feeding him stuff?

Just speculating about this makes me feel dirty.

It's his life, not ours.  Best wishes to David.

P.S.  The latter, it looks like.  Sorry to hear that.

VULB#62

Quote from: StlVUFan on April 19, 2016, 09:26:30 AM
Perhaps he sees his playing time diminishing with the new recruits coming in and talk of playing both big men at the same time?  It feels like he fell a little behind Shane Hammink in the playing time thing as well.

As for the b.s., I hate to think that's coming from the new regime.  Perhaps it's an academic thing?  Or outsiders are feeding him stuff?

Just speculating about this makes me feel dirty.

It's his life, not ours.  Best wishes to David.

P.S.  The latter, it looks like.  Sorry to hear that.

Quote from: chef on April 19, 2016, 09:23:07 AM
There are adults that David is close to that were hoping to get on the new VU staff, when they didn't they encouraged David to leave.

That sucks.

StlVUFan

I saw, hence my P.S.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

VULB#62

Those "adults" have now cut themselves off from any consideration by VU for anything.  How short sighted and self destructive to themselves, but, even worse, how manipulative of a young man's loyalty. 

crusadermoe

Worst news I could have imagined other than Alec or Tevonn leaving.    And the most surprising to me.   

Skara was very smooth for his height and did all the little things. 

oklahomamick

Skara was a great player with a big role in our back to back league conference championships.  And he was an underclassmen. 

Whoever he's listening too and was upset about not getting on the staff, I say make them a GA or volunteer assistant and be done with it.  We need Skara for a 3-peat
CRUSADERS!!!

hoopfan22

Who is he close to? Who wanted to get hired? Is it that serious to leave if you don't get your way?

VULB#62

Quote from: hoopfan22 on April 19, 2016, 10:01:06 AM
Who is he close to? Who wanted to get hired? Is it that serious to leave if you don't get your way?

My Guess:  AAU people.

hoopfan22

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 19, 2016, 10:04:08 AM

He didn't play AAU. He did the prep school. I have my own ideas on who it is but i HOPE it's not him.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 19, 2016, 09:56:28 AM
Skara was a great player with a big role in our back to back league conference championships.  And he was an underclassmen. 

Whoever he's listening too and was upset about not getting on the staff, I say make them a GA or volunteer assistant and be done with it.  We need Skara for a 3-peat

This was a joke, right?

FWalum

Love Skara and what he was capable of bringing to the team, would have been huge for us this coming year. Injuries really hampered his progress this past season, but you could still see it was all coming together at the end. So sorry to see him go.

Let the speculation begin... "They're getting a steal, a complete steal," said Chris Artis, the associate head coach of Midwest Elite's post-graduate team who recently was named the coach of the newly created high school team.

"He's going to be really, really good, and he's only going to get better. He's a basketball sponge, works real hard, high IQ, deceptively athletic. He has that Euro step down, long stride and he can dunk on you.
  Could it be????
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

hoopfan22

Quote from: FWalum on April 19, 2016, 10:19:27 AM
Love Skara and what he was capable of bringing to the team, would have been huge for us this coming year. Injuries really hampered his progress this past season, but you could still see it was all coming together at the end. So sorry to see him go.

Let the speculation begin... "They're getting a steal, a complete steal," said Chris Artis, the associate head coach of Midwest Elite's post-graduate team who recently was named the coach of the newly created high school team.

"He's going to be really, really good, and he's only going to get better. He's a basketball sponge, works real hard, high IQ, deceptively athletic. He has that Euro step down, long stride and he can dunk on you.
  Could it be????
Exactly my first thought. Say it aint so man!

wh

Quote from: hoopfan22 on April 19, 2016, 10:08:38 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on April 19, 2016, 10:04:08 AM

He didn't play AAU. He did the prep school. I have my own ideas on who it is but i HOPE it's not him.

Whoever it is is a real snake in the grass.  If it would happen to be a former Valpo player, that is a treasonous act worthy of Philip Nolan-style exile.

hoopfan22

That is the lowest of the low. If it's him i'm done with him.

VULB#62

Whoever it is isn't very smart.  In exchange for the short-term satisfaction of getting back at VU for not getting an assistant's job, he might get instead a well placed news article exposing the betrayal, manipulation and deceit that will make that person a basketball pariah.  Respectable college coaches will look on that person with disdain for pimping a kid, and he'll never get a decent basketball job again.  And, if that person is coaching at the HS/prep level, what respectable coach would trust that person not to do the same thing again with a different kid?

nkvu

Wow if true that's a lot of influence to have over a kid two years out of high school.  And what a disservice to the kid to get him to leave a program that was happy with him and that he was happy with just out of spite?  But people can only influence you if you let them.  At some point you have to be responsible for your own decisions and not let others manipulate you. If he lets that happen it's on him. But the adult involved should be ashamed of himself. He has no business being in a position to have that kind of influence on young people.

FWalum

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, are there do overs or take backs on this board?  Don't think I should have written that in a post because it was COMPLETE SPECUALTION.  I was only thinking about who David might have known that had any connection to VU and might want to be on the staff.  Could be any number of people.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

CA

Speculate on because I had ZERO to do with it.