• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bryce

Started by Just Sayin, May 10, 2016, 11:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

I think we would accept an NIT bid but it would be a huge disappointment. This season is NCAA Tournament or bust. NIT was fun last year but we have been there and done that with the leaders and core of this team already and anything less than winning the Conference Tournament and getting an NCAA makes this season a disappointment.

M

I'd think they accept any bid. Alec doesn't know how to play at half speed.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on February 23, 2017, 11:51:56 AM
I think we would accept an NIT bid but it would be a huge disappointment. This season is NCAA Tournament of bust. NIT was fun last year but we have been there and done that with the leaders and core of this team already and anything less than winning the Conference Tournament and getting an NCAA makes this season a disappointment.

You get over the disappointment as quickly as possible and play as well as you are capable. Much like the disappointment of not having Jubril on your team from December on. They are trying to get over it and dedicate themselves to playing as well as they are capable using the cause of honoring their teammate to propel them to wins--team unity.

No team in last year's NIT wanted to be in the NIT more than they wanted to be in the NCAA tournament. But once the reality sunk in they made the best of their situation by going as far in the NIT as they were capable. Valpo finished second and made the most they could of the disappointing situation.

Valpower

Quote from: bbtds on February 23, 2017, 12:06:04 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on February 23, 2017, 11:51:56 AM
I think we would accept an NIT bid but it would be a huge disappointment. This season is NCAA Tournament of bust. NIT was fun last year but we have been there and done that with the leaders and core of this team already and anything less than winning the Conference Tournament and getting an NCAA makes this season a disappointment.

You get over the disappointment as quickly as possible and play as well as you are capable. Much like the disappointment of not having Jubril on your team from December on. They are trying to get over it and dedicate themselves to playing as well as they are capable using the cause of honoring their teammate to propel them to wins--team unity.

No team in last year's NIT wanted to be in the NIT more than they wanted to be in the NCAA tournament. But once the reality sunk in they made the best of their situation by going as far in the NIT as they were capable. Valpo finished second and made the most they could of the disappointing situation.
It isn't just about "getting over it," either.  It's more about the fact that, as a mid-major, you can't typically schedule the quality teams you get to face in the NIT, let alone at home.  It would be invaluable experience for the freshman and, therefore, especially critical in a rebuilding year.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: M on February 23, 2017, 11:55:29 AM
I'd think they accept any bid. Alec doesn't know how to play at half speed.

If I'm Alec, it's NCAA or get to work on being drafted.  I agree with professional bound players not participating in non core tournaments. 

FWalum

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 23, 2017, 08:56:58 PMI agree with professional bound players not participating in non core tournaments.
I might agree that playing in one of the low level tournaments like the CIT could be an optional event, but I believe a player sitting out of a tournament, the athletic department and coaches have decided to participate in, goes against every principle of a team sport.  So go ahead and screw your brothers, forget about things like loyalty and honor and just think about yourself.  This recent development of a completely "I" centric philosophy just shows how selfish and obsessed with personal rights this society has become.  Not everyone is going to get a shot at the NBA, but playing in a "non core" tournament (I don't think you can call the NCAA's NIT tournament "non core") might give a player like Shane the opportunity to shine and be noticed by another professional organization.  Screw the freshman player that would gain invaluable experience playing in the NIT.  I understand there are risks involved, but I just don't get this whole trend.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FWalum on February 23, 2017, 11:36:44 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 23, 2017, 08:56:58 PMI agree with professional bound players not participating in non core tournaments.
I might agree that playing in one of the low level tournaments like the CIT could be an optional event, but I believe a player sitting out of a tournament, the athletic department and coaches have decided to participate in, goes against every principle of a team sport.  So go ahead and screw your brothers, forget about things like loyalty and honor and just think about yourself.  This recent development of a completely "I" centric philosophy just shows how selfish and obsessed with personal rights this society has become.  Not everyone is going to get a shot at the NBA, but playing in a "non core" tournament (I don't think you can call the NCAA's NIT tournament "non core") might give a player like Shane the opportunity to shine and be noticed by another professional organization.  Screw the freshman player that would gain invaluable experience playing in the NIT.  I understand there are risks involved, but I just don't get this whole trend.

He can PAY for insurance against injury in such a scenario.  But short of that...are YOU going to pay him the millions he loses with injury in NIT or worse?  This is pure emotions and you certainly have a right to your wrong opinion.

I also HATE not seeing a player give his best, and I feel deflated when they don't play in post season bowl games or tournaments.  But NONE of us would turn down millions for 1 stupid game in sub par post season.

M

I think, after watching him for four years and listening to his senior night speech, that he would play in any tournament the team entered in to.  He is just too great a competitor and too good of a teammate to turn his back on his team.  Hopefully it won't matter and they will win 5 more in a row or whatever it is to get that NCAA invite.

elephtheria47

Big picture, you accept NIT without a doubt. You never miss a chance to help build brand recognition/recruiting. While disappointing, Valpo received a lot of both during last years NIT run. If Alec chooses not to participate, which I dont think he would do, then thats on him. If not the NCAAT, all of the other tourneys give you a chance to look at the future and give the team another chance to remain together and play for a few more games/weeks.

VU2014

I think if we don't make the Tourney and then we get an invite to the NIT I think we accept it because that experience is invaluable for guys like Micah, Smits, and Jay. They are the future and you want to get them that tourney experience against high level competition. There is no two way about it that it would be a huge disappointment for this team to not win the conference tourney and make it to the big dance. I think Alec would participate even though he technically has nothing to gain from it. Maybe scouts/GMs would be turned off that he wouldn't be willing to compete if he chose not to compete. To be clear I think he'd play because he's a team guy and doesn't want to let down his teammates and he's just a flat out competitor.

That being said lets get off the NIT topic. I don't think we should be talking about that right now because we should all have the expectation to win the conference tourney with this team. We will cross that bridge if we get there.

valpo84

I've said this in previous years, but post season tournaments also are important because you can continue to practice as a team.  In addition to the game experience, it's a couple more weeks (hopefully) of practices with those freshmen and transfers together. 
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VU2014

VULB#62

Still, after 19 years, #9 on YouTube For Top 25 NCAA Upsets of all Time.

VU2014

Bryce is going to appear on ESPN 1000 AM radio at noon if you want to tune to hear his interview.

https://twitter.com/thekapman/status/841648195453222913

VU2014

VU2014

If you want to list Bryce Interview it starts at the 6:00min mark and ends at the 16:30min mark. It's actually worth a listen.

-Talks about how difficult it was scheduling Power Conference Teams to the ARC (and general struggles of being a MidMajor)
-Touch on Conference consolidations affecting MMs
-Difference between SEC & The Horizon League
-Talked about his Vandy team
-Also previews his matchup against Northwestern on Thursday.

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/chicago/play?id=18907849