• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Union Street Hoops

Started by Pgmado, October 31, 2016, 10:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Quote from: agibson on March 31, 2017, 11:29:32 AM
Quote from: covufan on March 31, 2017, 11:22:05 AMFor those that have been following these great interviews, they have another number themed guest this week:

Nice! I'd seen on Twitter that Mark had volunteered. I'm a little surprised by Bryce, only because initially he seemed to really cut all public ties with the university, fan base, regional media, etc.

It'll be interesting to see how candid they're willing to be. And, I suppose, how much Paul (and Parker?) probe.

I really hope they are candid in the interviews and don't give wishy-washy canned answers. Either way I'm pumped for the podcast and just the discussion. Paul and Parker do Great interviews and ask all the right questions.

My Top 5 Questions for Mark Labarbera:

- What are the prospects of joining a new Conference? (ex: MVC) What the things standing in the way of getting an invite? What are the risk & rewards, etc. What are the overall thoughts on Conference Consolidation? How does it impact Valpo?

-What are the chances of an ARC renovation? Anything in the works? PARKING PARKING PARKING! When will the parking issue get fixed? How much would a liberal estimate for cost of a renovation be? Are we really considering selling naming rights? (I don't see a problem)

-What exactly happened with the David Skara situation? Did they really try and strong arm the staff. We all know the truth but I've never heard someone publicly address it.

-Thoughts on Bryce leaving for Vandy? How is the Lottich era going in his opinion? (I personally think the future is bright and liked the hire)

-What are the greatest challenges facing Valpo (other mid-majors also) in the future and how are we planning to meet those challenges?

https://twitter.com/mickdogg3/status/847839795560804352
https://twitter.com/apgibson42/status/847848856431865858

I like Mickey's tweet and I'm also curious like Adam is, if we can get LeCrone to come Paul's podcast.

Pgmado

Quote from: VU2014 on March 31, 2017, 12:18:50 PM
Quote from: covufan on March 31, 2017, 11:22:05 AMFor those that have been following these great interviews, they have another number themed guest this week:

Nice! I'd seen on Twitter that Mark had volunteered. I'm a little surprised by Bryce, only because initially he seemed to really cut all public ties with the university, fan base, regional media, etc.

It'll be interesting to see how candid they're willing to be. And, I suppose, how much Paul (and Parker?) probe.

I really hope they are candid in the interviews and don't give wishy-washy canned answers.

- What are the prospects of joining a new Conference? (ex: MVC) What the things standing in the way of getting an invite? What are the risk & rewards, etc. What are the overall thoughts on Conference Consolidation? How does it impact Valpo?

-What are the chances of an ARC renovation? Anything in the works? PARKING PARKING PARKING! When will the parking issue get fixed? How much would a liberal estimate for cost of a renovation be? Are we really considering selling naming rights? (I don't see a problem)

-What exactly happened with the David Skara situation? Did they really try and strong arm the staff. We all know the truth but I've never heard someone publicly address it.

-Thoughts on Bryce leaving for Vandy? How is the Lottich era going in his opinion? (I personally think the future is bright and liked the hire)

-What are the greatest challenges facing Valpo (other mid-majors also) in the future and how are we planning to meet those challenges?

I think you'll enjoy at least 80 percent of the interview.

VU2014

Quote from: Pgmado on March 31, 2017, 12:30:06 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on March 31, 2017, 12:18:50 PM

I really hope they are candid in the interviews and don't give wishy-washy canned answers.

I think you'll enjoy at least 80 percent of the interview.

80% works for me! Thank you for doing the Podcast Paul!! Really enjoy listening to Union Street Hoops!

oklahomamick

Yes, Paul, thanks for putting all the extra work and effort into Union Street Hoops.  Great skillz!  (Time for you to get paid for it....start charging)
CRUSADERS!!!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 31, 2017, 12:54:44 PM
Yes, Paul, thanks for putting all the extra work and effort into Union Street Hoops.  Great skillz!  (Time for you to get paid for it....start charging)

How do fans of the Podcast donate for improved audio equipment?  Is this feasible?  Or are we talking ARC renovation level costs...Audio is hard to hear at times.

Still a big fan of your coverage, please keep up the good work.

bbtds

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 31, 2017, 12:54:44 PM

You do realize who he would have to charge in order to be paid for it?

agibson

Quote from: VU2014 on March 31, 2017, 12:18:50 PMPARKING PARKING PARKING! When will the parking issue get fixed?

Is that a major concern for the fan base? I've grown to like the walk from the softball field well enough. But, I recognize that it's not for everyone.

Would "pay as you enter" parking be a significant bonus? What do the existing parking passes cost if you pro-rate them? Would people pay if we doubled that for a single game pass?

Do they need more ADA parking?

I don't think "more free parking closer to the ARC" is viable, unfortunately.

oklahomamick

You do realize I don't mind paying a fee for listening to something I enjoy?  Paul puts work into it and he has a lot of talent.  Sounds like he should be rewarded.  No?
CRUSADERS!!!

FWalum

Union Street Hoops has really turned out to be MUST LISTEN programming! Excellent work!  :clap:

Along those lines, what would it take to get a Valpo coaches show going?? Would love to hear that on a weekly basis, something like what Todd is doing only about 20 minutes longer.  IPFW Mastodons do an hour program at our restaurant every Tuesday during the season and it is broadcast on the local ESPN affiliate. Mostly concentrates on the basketball teams, but other coaches are also occasional guests.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

Quote from: agibson on March 31, 2017, 03:56:11 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on March 31, 2017, 12:18:50 PMPARKING PARKING PARKING! When will the parking issue get fixed?

Is that a major concern for the fan base? I've grown to like the walk from the softball field well enough. But, I recognize that it's not for everyone.

Would "pay as you enter" parking be a significant bonus? What do the existing parking passes cost if you pro-rate them? Would people pay if we doubled that for a single game pass?

One scenario could be moving the Tiny Student Fitness Center and putting more parking in that spot.

I wish you could park on the streets like you use to. The City said you can no longer park on the streets by the ARC anymore. How did that come to be again? I remember reading somewhere that the city negotiated that with the University somewhere.

VULB#62

Quote from: FWalum on March 31, 2017, 06:27:57 PM
Union Street Hoops has really turned out to be MUST LISTEN programming! Excellent work!  :clap:

Along those lines, what would it take to get a Valpo coaches show going?? Would love to hear that on a weekly basis, something like what Todd is doing only about 20 minutes longer.  IPFW Mastodons do an hour program at our restaurant every Tuesday during the season and it is broadcast on the local ESPN affiliate. Mostly concentrates on the basketball teams, but other coaches are also occasional guests.

In my thoughts that I posted in the Gonzaga string, I said the same thing and agree that this is one of the small steps Valpo can take to move forward and upward with regard to an increased profile and brand recognition for MBB.   I particularly like the fact that IPFW gets out of the streaming mode (you have to want to go there and do all the clicking vs. channel surfing) and into the mainstream cable.  Valpo is the only D-I BB team in NE Indiana so it should find ways like this to promote that.  I also think that in a Coach's show format Matt would be comfortable -- the current Pre-game Preview, while informative, is not as relaxed, does not include guests and players and is too short.  It is focused on the VU fan base that checks the athletic site. We need to think outside the box.

VULB#62

Uh, I think we need to build that recreation and athletics building on the Porter property to do that.  I'm all for that, BTW.

Quote from: VU2014 on March 31, 2017, 06:38:24 PM

One scenario could be moving the Tiny Student Fitness Center and putting more parking in that spot.

I wish you could park on the streets like you use to. The City said you can no longer park on the streets by the ARC anymore. How did that come to be again? I remember reading somewhere that the city negotiated that with the University somewhere.

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 31, 2017, 07:08:05 PM
Uh, I think we need to build that recreation and athletics building on the Porter property to do that.  I'm all for that, BTW.

Quote from: VU2014 on March 31, 2017, 06:38:24 PM

That would be the best case scenario but from everyone I've talked to says that isn't likely. The Porter County property is going to be used for an Indoor fieldhouse, whenever they get someone (*multiple) to write a check for it.

The consensus seems that we most likely won't get a "New" ARC but instead a renovated ARC. But I'm not sure when that renovation will ever happen. I'm really anticipating the Mark Labarbera interview because maybe we'll get a hint on a timeline (or lack thereof any timeline or plans...).

bbtds

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 31, 2017, 04:04:30 PM
You do realize I don't mind paying a fee for listening to something I enjoy?  Paul puts work into it and he has a lot of talent.  Sounds like he should be rewarded.  No?

I think that is admirable that you would help get Paul paid for his show. Anyone else willing to pay $25/year for Union Street Hoops? I'm sure it isn't cheap.

oklahomamick

Quote from: bbtds on April 01, 2017, 06:15:22 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on March 31, 2017, 04:04:30 PMYou do realize I don't mind paying a fee for listening to something I enjoy?  Paul puts work into it and he has a lot of talent.  Sounds like he should be rewarded.  No?
I think that is admirable that you would help get Paul paid for his show. Anyone else willing to pay $25/year for Union Street Hoops? I'm sure it isn't cheap.

Yes, I would pay $25 a year for it.  That's less than $1 an episode......You call that admirable?  I once paid for a hotdog and it was a $1. 
CRUSADERS!!!

Pgmado

Thanks for the kind words. Working through some of the audio issues. Some of the microphones are a bit older and don't pickup sound as well. I've done my best to try and raise audio levels in certain cases, but it's not always an easy fix. Hoping to get some better equipment at some point. In terms of money, this is mostly a labor of love for me. I pay to host the podcast on SoundCloud so it will go up on iTunes and The Times gives me an opportunity to host podcast on its site to get more traffic. The listenership numbers are decent, but not anywhere near the chance to get advertising for it from what I can gather. I love doing it and will hopefully continue to do so.

FWalum

Maybe the better question would be, is there anything that we as a forum and forum members can do to promote the podcast and increase then number of listeners?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

hailcrusaders

At the risk of thread-hijacking, Mark Adams is being interviewed on 95.1 The Source this evening as part of their Happening Hoops college basketball programming. You can find it a stream on the WVUR website.
#CrusadersForever

VU2014

"Alec Peters joins Union Street Hoops to discuss his Valparaiso career. Hosts Paul Oren and Parker Gatewood discuss Wichita State's move from the Missouri Valley Conference and how it could affect Valparaiso."

http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-episode/audio_a5ba17a2-1bb9-11e7-884e-bf25a78aefe5.html

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/850409107479822338

VU2014

"NWI Times reporter Paul Oren is joined by a pair of special guests. Austin Peters talks about his time as a Valparaiso graduate assistant and previews the NBA Draft for his brother, Alec Peters. Valley Hoops Insider Harry Schroeder shares his thoughts on the Missouri Valley Conference and if Valparaiso is a good fit."

http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-episode/audio_b8918f74-26bb-11e7-a417-bf722d608a2f.html

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/855483551927738368
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/855484337294381057
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/855485193389518848

VU2014

"Lexus Williams joins Union Street Hoops to talk about his journey with the Valparaiso basketball program. Topics include two devastating knee injuries, an inspiring comeback and what the future holds for the fifth-year senior."

http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-episode/audio_b60ca342-2b6b-11e7-875c-876cad5476e2.html

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/857646126362710016

VU2014

"Valparaiso associate head coach Luke Gore joins Union Street Hoops to talk about a variety of topics, including his upcoming Athletes in Action trip, recruiting and scheduling."

http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-episode/audio_c87cace6-3ca2-11e7-b84b-67f5f10c808e.html

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/865586927747047424

valpotx

Eric Hoffman is playing semi-pro football of some sort?  Pretty cool that Evan Turner was repping a Valpo shirt
"Don't mess with Texas"