• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Jubril Adekoya and the Honor Council

Started by usc4valpo, December 30, 2016, 10:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2624

Quote from: FWalum on March 07, 2017, 08:04:45 AMI know this is old and maybe this was already mentioned here and I missed it, but I guess that it would have been better if Jubril had been caught using Performance Enhancing Drugs rather than having an "academic issue".
QuoteThursday January 19th, 2017 Arizona guard Allonzo Trier has been cleared to play for the Wildcats in the wake of his indefinite suspension for testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug, ESPN's Jeff Goodman reports. Trier has been cleared by the NCAA to return and can play in Saturday's game against UCLA. According to Goodman, Trier's most recent drug test was negative, allowing him to now take the court.

I guess that's one way of couching the Trier situation. It would be wrong but it's an angle one might take.

Arizona fans were just as revolted all during Trier's suspension because there was no information provided as to why he wasn't playing as some on this board.

bbtds

How appropriate that this thread end on page 23.

Unless of course you use a different number of posts per page than I do.

VULB#62

How appropriate that USH episode #23 had as it's guest #23, Jubril Adekoya.  That was a really enjoyable interview with a mature and grounded young man.  I didn't know that he holds both a Nigerian and a British passport.  As far a European pro teams are concerned he won't count against the 2 US player limit.  Good for him.

covufan

Quote from: bbtds on March 29, 2017, 01:03:15 AM
How appropriate that this thread end on page 23.

Unless of course you use a different number of posts per page than I do.
When I first read this on my mobile device, it was page 28!

Then again, if people keep commenting, it won't end on page 23.  It is very appropriate that on page 23 of this thread that episode 23 of Union Street Hoops was announced/recorded with Jubril Adekoya as guest, who wore number 23 for four years while playing for Valparaiso.

vu72

Great interview with a fascinating young man.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bigmosmithfan1

Great interview and interesting insights from a thoughtful guy. His comments that his suspension would likely have been zero games if he played at a Power 6 lends credence to what others have mentioned - this was something minor, the university likely played too nicely with the NCAA, and the NCAA still hosed him - and that the "rules are rules" crowd whiffed badly here (it's not really a rule if it only applies to the half of teams who have the least amount of infrastructure to defend themselves).

bbtds

Quote from: bbtds on March 29, 2017, 01:03:15 AMUnless of course you use a different number of posts per page than I do
Quote from: covufan on March 29, 2017, 09:28:46 AMWhen I first read this on my mobile device, it was page 28!

EddieCabot

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on March 29, 2017, 01:16:52 PM
Great interview and interesting insights from a thoughtful guy. His comments that his suspension would likely have been zero games if he played at a Power 6 lends credence to what others have mentioned - this was something minor, the university likely played too nicely with the NCAA, and the NCAA still hosed him - and that the "rules are rules" crowd whiffed badly here (it's not really a rule if it only applies to the half of teams who have the least amount of infrastructure to defend themselves).

He also added that Keith Carter would have gotten another year if he played at a Power 6. 

Absolutely stinks that Valpo can't get the kind of breaks the big schools get.  Makes me wonder if it's because the NCAA is biased against small schools, or if the big schools just throw more resources at presenting their arguments?

Hard to know if Jubril was treated fairly or not, since I still have no idea what he actually did.  However, if Jubril and Paul think it was unfair, then I'll have to trust their judgement.

NativeCheesehead

Great interview. I would still have liked to heard him apologize. Didn't have to discuss details, just a quick "Hey, I really got hosed here, but I put myself in a bad situation." Wish him the best at the next level. Should have a nice career overseas.

VU2624

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on March 29, 2017, 01:16:52 PMGreat interview and interesting insights from a thoughtful guy. His comments that his suspension would likely have been zero games if he played at a Power 6 lends credence to what others have mentioned - this was something minor, the university likely played too nicely with the NCAA, and the NCAA still hosed him - and that the "rules are rules" crowd whiffed badly here (it's not really a rule if it only applies to the half of teams who have the least amount of infrastructure to defend themselves).

The kid is allowed to be in denial. Takes away the responsibility.

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteThe kid is allowed to be in denial. Takes away the responsibility.

And you know what actually happened how, exactly? How "responsible" of you.

Dave_2010

Quote from: VU2624 on March 30, 2017, 02:35:32 PM
The kid is allowed to be in denial. Takes away the responsibility.

Saying he wouldn't have served a game is clearly employing hyperbole on Jubril's part, but the point stands. This kid just lost 2/3 of his senior season (and VU got sandbagged) in the same season that North Carolina made its 2nd consecutive Final Four while under investigation for the single biggest incidence of institutional academic fraud in NCAA history (not hyperbole, IMO). That's how the NCAA works (to paraphrase another of his lines).

Between twitter and this thread, I've said it a dozen times...Jerry Tarkanian couldn't have been more right when he said "the NCAA is so mad at Kentucky that they're giving Cleveland State two more years of probation." Money programs get break after break while the NCAA uses smaller schools to assert its moral authority. It just so happened that Jubril and Valpo got caught in UNC's crossfire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU2624

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on March 30, 2017, 03:46:12 PM
QuoteThe kid is allowed to be in denial. Takes away the responsibility.
And you know what actually happened how, exactly? How "responsible" of you.

Since Valpo reportedly was offering up a 15 game suspension, Jubril is in complete denial of his responsibility in his situation. It was never a zero games situation. I realize this is a homer board where paranoia regarding the NCAA runs strong but a realism amongst the principals in the matter need to be undertaken.

VU2014

How is he in denial?

He owned it but mentioned he thinks he was treated unfairly. I'm a total homer but I can take off my blinders and say if he was at a P6 more $ was at stake for success then there may have been a different outcome.

It's not paranoia either. You clearly must not be paying attention to college athletics if you think there isn't different levels or treatment in the ajudication. But for enough if you chose to take a naive stance.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on April 01, 2017, 12:22:25 PM
How is he in denial?

He owned it but mentioned he thinks he was treated unfairly.

Maybe he's thinking about this:

"One day, in the garden, where young George Washington often amused himself hacking his mother's pea-sticks, he unluckily tried the edge of his hatchet on the body of a beautiful young English cherry-tree, which he barked so terribly, that I don't believe the tree ever got the better of it. The next morning  George's father finding out what had befallen his tree, which, by the by, was a great favourite, came into the house, and with much warmth asked for the mischievous author, declaring at the same time, that he would not have taken five guineas for his tree. Nobody could tell him any thing about it. Presently George and his hatchet made their appearance. George, said his father, do you know who killed that beautiful little cherry-tree yonder in the garden? This was a tough question; and George staggered under it for a moment; but quickly recovered himself: and looking at his father, with the sweet face of youth brightened with the inexpressible charm of all-conquering truth, he bravely cried out, "I can't tell a lie, Pa; you know I can't tell a lie. I did cut it with my hatchet."--Run to my arms, you dearest boy, cried his father in transports, run to my arms; glad am I, George, that you killed my tree; for you have paid me for it a thousand fold. Such an act of heroism in my son, is more worth than a thousand trees, though blossomed with silver, and their fruits of purest gold."

Now, let me fix it for Jubril:

Such an act of heroism in my son, is more worth than a thousand trees, though blossomed with silver, and their fruits of purest gold.absolutely nothing. I am going to punish you so severely that you, your family, your teammates and your friends will never forget.

VU2014

Those scumbags in the NCAA had the nerve to take away Jubril's (honors student) senior year from him but they don't punish UNC for INSTITUTIONAL CHEATING with FAKE CLASSES!!!?!?!?!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

The NCAA is F^#*ing JOKE! Absolutely ZERO integrity! All those dirtbags care about is preserving their own @$$e$ and $$$. What joke.

https://twitter.com/JeffEisenberg/status/918855452636733440

valpopal

To add insult to injury: the NCAA was scheduled to release the academic fraud scandal report last Friday, but they allowed North Carolina to dictate the timing and delayed its release one week at the request of the Tarheels because the original date conflicted with the school's launch of a $4.3-billion fundraising campaign last week.  :o

vu72

It certainly hurts the reputation of the institution and the value of its degree when all students could have taken the bogus class.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vufan75

One word for NCAA and their brilliant decision. SAD!!!!!
And these same people supposedly run college athletics with all sorts of rules and guidelines? They could not MANAGE any business IMO. They clearly are in it to protect the bigger schools. If a mid or low major had done what UNC did I imagine the penalty would of been very severe. Double standard is what NCAA stands for. So glad the FBI is handling the other investigation and NOT the NCAA!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

bbtds

Quote from: vufan75 on October 13, 2017, 11:54:49 AM
One word for NCAA and their brilliant decision. SAD!!!!!
And these same people supposedly run college athletics with all sorts of rules and guidelines? They could not MANAGE any business IMO. They clearly are in it to protect the bigger schools. If a mid or low major had done what UNC did I imagine the penalty would of been very severe. Double standard is what NCAA stands for. So glad the FBI is handling the other investigation and NOT the NCAA!!!!

Is there any chance that the FBI could file charges against NCAA leaders for not handling disciplinary practices fairly? Are they breaking any laws or do the mid-majors and low-majors have to break away from the high-majors by resigning from the NCAA? After a while you can only take so much crap from above before the lower members have to say "enough is enough" and quit the organization.

humbleopinion

Was it an A- instead of an A because they didn't close the final quotation marks?
Beamin' Beacons