• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Motor City Madness ... What a joke

Started by Valpo89, February 17, 2017, 01:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpo89

If my kid was on the team, I'd do the same thing.
That being said, I'm pretty sure Jubril's dad - always visible when Jubril was playing - has been absent from the spotlight during the suspension.
We all choose our way of following the team. I'm going to happily pay my expensive cable bill and enjoy the games on TV.

agibson

Quote from: Valpo89 on February 22, 2017, 03:46:36 PMThat being said, I'm pretty sure Jubril's dad - always visible when Jubril was playing - has been absent from the spotlight during the suspension.

I was pleased to see him at Senior Night. Albeit without the wig.

But, from the Senior Night video, it was a pretty interesting tie! Or maybe two ties? Somehow a gold bow tie _and_ a gold regular long/neck tie. Never seen anything like it.

covufan

Quote from: agibson on February 22, 2017, 05:55:10 PM
Quote from: Valpo89 on February 22, 2017, 03:46:36 PMThat being said, I'm pretty sure Jubril's dad - always visible when Jubril was playing - has been absent from the spotlight during the suspension.

But, from the Senior Night video, it was a pretty interesting tie! Or maybe two ties? Somehow a gold bow tie _and_ a gold regular long/neck tie. Never seen anything like it.
Saw the double tie thing as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

covufan

Quote from: agibson on February 22, 2017, 05:55:10 PM

But, from the Senior Night video, it
was a pretty interesting tie! Or maybe two ties? Somehow a gold bow I tie _and_ a gold regular long/neck tie. Never seen anything like it.

Saw the double tie thing as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyValpo

Quote from: RedHawk on February 22, 2017, 11:47:38 AM
I went to Miami (OH), but I've become a big Valpo fan over the last couple years since my daughter is a student there.

I'd prefer that the conference tournament be held on a campus site. For mid-major conferences, I think it's needed to generate the crowds and enthusiasm that a chance to go to the NCAA Tournament represents.

That being said, if Valpo wins on Saturday of the tourney, I'll be heading from Indy to Detroit with my wife and daughter on Monday. We'll buy tickets as soon as Saturday's game is final.

It's a spring break trip for us. Not many people go to Detroit on spring break, but we are going to go and have a good time. We'll stay in a downtown hotel, have fun as a family, do some sightseeing, and cheer on Valpo to the NCAA Tournament. We figured that since my daughter isn't going anywhere else on spring break this year, we'd have a nice mini getaway. 

Sure it's a little pricey, but going to the NCAA Tournament is special.  Don't overlook that. This team needs and deserves our support. They should have been invited to the tournament last year, but this year they'll have to earn it.  There are plenty of excuses you can make about why you shouldn't go to Motor City Madness, but if a team has as good a shot as this year's team does, it's worth making the sacrifice.
RedHawk, I am the opposite, a Valpo grad with a daughter at Miami................and people here complain about our basketball program...

VULB#62

Quote from: RedHawk on February 22, 2017, 11:47:38 AM
I went to Miami (OH), but I've become a big Valpo fan over the last couple years since my daughter is a student there.

I'd prefer that the conference tournament be held on a campus site. For mid-major conferences, I think it's needed to generate the crowds and enthusiasm that a chance to go to the NCAA Tournament represents.

That being said, if Valpo wins on Saturday of the tourney, I'll be heading from Indy to Detroit with my wife and daughter on Monday. We'll buy tickets as soon as Saturday's game is final.

It's a spring break trip for us. Not many people go to Detroit on spring break, but we are going to go and have a good time. We'll stay in a downtown hotel, have fun as a family, do some sightseeing, and cheer on Valpo to the NCAA Tournament. We figured that since my daughter isn't going anywhere else on spring break this year, we'd have a nice mini getaway. 

Sure it's a little pricey, but going to the NCAA Tournament is special.  Don't overlook that. This team needs and deserves our support. They should have been invited to the tournament last year, but this year they'll have to earn it.  There are plenty of excuses you can make about why you shouldn't go to Motor City Madness, but if a team has as good a shot as this year's team does, it's worth making the sacrifice.

I think your strategy this supports the argument for a weekend into, at most, a Monday MCM. 

First, Redhawk, you are waiting for the Saturday game results before committing.  That is prudent, but If the tournament was a consecutive days tournament that ended with a championship on, say Sunday or Monday, I'd bet you'd consider arriving in Detroit for at least the semifinal (which, hopefully will have Valpo in it).  Second you are traveling on a Monday for a Tuesday game.  Not everyone can take 2-3 week days off to have a spring break like you and your family.  Having said that though, have a great trip to Detroit and enjoy a Valpo final.

:deadhorse: Let me pile on.  I find it contrary to logic the way the tournament is set up (which I know has been restated previously many times).  The most important games -- semi-final and final are Monday and Tuesday instead of Saturday/Sunday or Sunday/Monday.  On the other hand the first 2 rounds are Friday/Saturday.  Why in heaven's name is the first round on Friday instead of Wednesday or Thursday so that the final could be played on Sunday or Monday??  The first round is essentially the play-in round with the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th seeds fighting it out to move on. These programs, with their losing records, probably will only draw the players' families and a few die hards -- half of which will be home by Saturday lunch time. If I had a choice of ensuring the highest attendance at the semi and final this certainly would not be my strategy.

agibson

Quote from: bsmith21 on February 23, 2017, 09:24:46 AM
They have to work within the TV schedule for later games. They really don't have much to bargain with.

In the age of ESPN3, is it time to stop sacrificing everything else for one Tuesday night game on ESPN2? Would ESPN care?

For my TV packages, ESPNU (e.g. the semi-finals) has often been _worse_ than ESPN3.

Valpo89

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure the Horizon League and the Mid-Continent Conference (now Summitt) have played their title games on the Tuesday before Selection Sunday for more than 20 years.

VULB#62

Someone may have already raised this question, so I apologize for asking it.  I am just now looking at the MCM MBB schedule on the HL site  It says.....

Friday
#10 vs. #7 (by my count this is game 1)
#9 vs. #8 (by my count this is game 2)

Saturday
#8 or #9 vs. #1 (by my count this is game 3)
#7 0r #8 Vs. #2 (by my count this is game 4)

Sunday
#6 vs. #3 (by my count this is game 5)
#5 Vs. #4 (by my count this is game 6)

Monday
Game 12 winner vs. game 7 winner  ---- Game 12 - what?????? (by my count THIS IS game 7)
Game 11 winner vs. Game 8 winner ---- Game 11 - what?????? (by my count THIS IS game 8)

Tuesday
Game 16 winner vs. Game 15 winner  ---- Game 16 and 15? Huh? Where did these come from?????

Here is my question:  The title of the schedule web page specifically states Men's Basketball Tournament Central [PERIOD!].  Starting on Monday, is the HL braintrust suddenly co-mingling both the Men's and the Women's brackets into one hodgepodge (with no explanation or indication of game numbers) or are they just screwing up? 

VULB#62

Quote from: agibson on February 23, 2017, 09:38:05 AM
Quote from: bsmith21 on February 23, 2017, 09:24:46 AM
They have to work within the TV schedule for later games. They really don't have much to bargain with.

In the age of ESPN3, is it time to stop sacrificing everything else for one Tuesday night game on ESPN2? Would ESPN care?

For my TV packages, ESPNU (e.g. the semi-finals) has often been _worse_ than ESPN3.

Exactly.  Is it better to show a final on Tuesday with hardly anyone there or have the final on Sunday on ESPN3 and show a lively crowd that is more than just a few hundred. Demonstrate that you are achieving good attendance FIRST, then go for the increased exposure of ESPN 2. 

FWalum

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 23, 2017, 09:45:34 AM
Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Monday
Game 12 winner vs. game 7 winner  ---- Game 12 - what?????? (by my count THIS IS game 7)
Game 11 winner vs. Game 8 winner ---- Game 11 - what?????? (by my count THIS IS game 8)

Tuesday
Game 16 winner vs. Game 15 winner  ---- Game 16 and 15? Huh? Where did these come from?????
Take a look at this graphic, it explains it all.  HL Basketball Tournament Bracket
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 23, 2017, 09:45:34 AMStarting on Monday, is the HL braintrust suddenly co-mingling both the Men's and the Women's brackets into one hodgepodge (with no explanation or indication of game numbers)

And, yes, the game numbers are interleaved between mens' and womens' games. Looks like they are numbered chronologically, but 1 and 2 are women, 3 and 4 are men, etc.

VULB#62

Quote from: FWalum on February 23, 2017, 10:11:57 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on February 23, 2017, 09:45:34 AM
Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Monday

Tuesday
Take a look at this graphic, it explains it all.  HL Basketball Tournament Bracket

Yes it does - sort of.  As I look at it,  the left bracket winds up facing the right bracket.  In any other bracket graphic that would mean the final is Left vs. Right on the connecting line for the championship. Actually, each bracket should end in a single, championship line that does not show a connection.  But then, I'm splitting hairs I guess.  It just seems poorly done and both the MBB schedule and the bracket diagram, as stand-alone documents, leave questions unless you do some additional digging and correlate both. 

valpo84

[/quote]

Exactly.  Is it better to show a final on Tuesday with hardly anyone there or have the final on Sunday on ESPN3 and show a lively crowd that is more than just a few hundred. Demonstrate that you are achieving good attendance FIRST, then go for the increased exposure of ESPN 2. 
[/quote]

In the age of the Horizon League Tourney being at home sites for many of those 20 years, it makes good sense to have on Tuesday (no competition from any other leagues regular or post-season games, pre-BIG 5 conference tourneys) and as the 7 pm prime time game.  As the League has screwed that up and believes an empty arena is better for TV, they should re-evaluate the deal.  It makes the Horizon look like a lesser league and the MVC and A-10 and Big East are all into the next weekend.  The Horizon needs some serious future planning and direction, and Commissioner LeCrone needs to go. #dumplecrone
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 23, 2017, 09:21:34 AMNot everyone can take 2-3 week days off to have a spring break like you and your family.  Having said that though, have a great trip to Detroit and enjoy a Valpo final.

Isn't the definition of "spring break" taking 2-3 or more week days off from work and traveling somewhere that you are excited to go to and seeing something you don't get to see very often? I guess you'll need to define what exactly what you mean by "spring break."

VULB#62

VULB#62

Quote from: valpo84 on February 23, 2017, 11:30:36 AM

[/quote]

In the age of the Horizon League Tourney being at home sites for many of those 20 years, it makes good sense to have on Tuesday (no competition from any other leagues regular or post-season games, pre-BIG 5 conference tourneys) and as the 7 pm prime time game.  As the League has screwed that up and believes an empty arena is better for TV, they should re-evaluate the deal.  It makes the Horizon look like a lesser league and the MVC and A-10 and Big East are all into the next weekend.  The Horizon needs some serious future planning and direction, and Commissioner LeCrone needs to go. #dumplecrone
[/quote]

That's a great point.  A Tuesday night on-campus final would (if the #1 seed makes it that far) would be a sell-out and the place (whatever the campus location) would be rocking.

a3uge

Count me out as one that thinks the championship game should be on ESPN3 instead of ESPN because it means seeing a few hundred more fans in the background.

The fans are fairly irrelevant to the equation. The league is making their money from the Detroit arena group and TV package, not raw attendance.

VULB#62

Quote from: a3uge on February 23, 2017, 01:30:20 PM
Count me out as one that thinks the championship game should be on ESPN3 instead of ESPN because it means seeing a few hundred more fans in the background.

The fans are fairly irrelevant to the equation. The league is making their money from the Detroit arena group and TV package, not raw attendance.

Absolutely, positively, totally true. The HL is about the money and you can't blame them. However, from a purely fan  and game day experience, a weekend tournament would really be nice.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 23, 2017, 12:47:35 PMdumplecrone

That sounds like a character from Harry Potter.

Who is the new instructor?

I believe his name is Dumple Crone

JerryG203

Wright state fan here.  First, sorry to hear of Alec Peters injury. Hoping it's not serious! I agree with much of what was said about how it's not feasible for fans to go to the whole tournament staying in Detroit till Tuesday evening and then driving home.

Thoughts on why Detroit was chosen.
1. Large market with 2 horizon league teams in it.
2. New stadium being built that tourney moves into next year. I think this was the main reason.
3. Detroit having somewhat of a renaissance as a city on the comeback. Maybe being a part of that.
4. Fairly central location for the league.

Now my personal opinion on future potential locations...Columbus Ohio, Cincinnati, Indy?

No team is in Columbus but maybe its a town that would support it more than Detroit.
Cincinnati loves college hoops...maybe too much Xavier UC connection there?

Would have to be a weekend tourney to make sense in say Columbus. What's the need for ESPN hosting the championship game anymore? Why not nbc sports, CBS sports, American sports network?

Horizon league has had a hard time really building tradition. Butler did that but then left. There's no great rivalries, great fan bases, consistent ncaa tourney winner (after butler). I think the basketball is enjoyable and the action good enough but the league just lacks identity.

Valpo has a good brand and identity. I think your hoops facility lacks but just my Opinion!

When Milwaukee and Butler were really good I think the league was at its most exciting. Milwaukee being good would help the league. Just having even 2 consistent ncaa level temas yearly would help.

I think Wright state has dropped the ball in that regard. They have a good program but just have never been able to take that next step like a Belmont, valpo, etc. I think the hope is Nagy will take them to that level.

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteValpo has a good brand and identity. I think your hoops facility lacks but just my Opinion!

Thanks for stopping by and your kind words about Alec and your post... and no need to qualify, many Valpo fans think the ARC is lacking as well!

VULB#62

In retrospect, I kinda get the feeling that the HL wasn't really considering a neutral site at the time (not forward thinking) and was content with the campus venues. Then along came Detroit/JLA with an "offer that was hard to refu$$$$e) and the HL Office jumped at it wihout really considering alternate venues (if they went out for bid). This smells like lack of a long-term strategy.  My nose also senses that this is still the case.  Witness  a failure of the conference to implement more stringent OOC scheduling rules.  Note no ultimatms to schools that continue to be comfortable sitting at the bottom of the league an carry very low RPIs.

oklahomamick

I think you are under playing Oakland hand in this.  You didn't see ray maccullum and Detroit mercy promoting it the way Oakland and kampe were. 
CRUSADERS!!!

usc4valpo

how about having the tournament in Chicago at the new facility near McCormick Place? nice new arena and a fun city to hang around for a few days. It could also have some impact on promoting college hoops that Chicago desperately needs.