• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo First HL Tournament Game Saturday

Started by VULB#62, February 27, 2017, 08:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: justducky on March 06, 2017, 11:26:21 PM
Quote from: vufan75 on March 06, 2017, 10:58:20 PM"LeCrone repeated that league has brought in a "RPI expert" to help with data, scheduling, etc." #HLMBB
This has to be a joke.  :o

This would have been a great idea 15 years ago and we were still pushing for this 5 years back. BUT NOW  ???   EVERYBODY has been gaming the RPI system for years and now LeCrone wants to outdo those experienced experts? Just how brain dead ignorant is this fossil? Is he genuinely a full decade plus behind the eight ball? And we pay this moron to represent us?

Beginning next season the NCAA tournament selection will be deemphasizing RPI.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/what-experts-who-met-with-ncaa-say-about-changes-to-tourney-selection-process/amp/

Thus, it makes perfect sense that LeCrone is bringing in an RPI expert.

justducky

Quote from: wh on March 06, 2017, 11:38:36 PMBeginning next season the NCAA tournament selection will be deemphasizing RPI.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/what-experts-who-met-with-ncaa-say-about-changes-to-tourney-selection-process/amp/

Thus, it makes perfect sense that LeCrone is bringing in an RPI expert.
Are you humorously suggesting that since our totally ineffectual HL RPI strategy is now obsolete we need to devise a new path to bubble competition incompetence?

Valpo89

That is an awesome article.
They need to have a system that awards majors for scheduling strong mid-majors, particularly on the road. You know, like if Notre Dame came to play at Valpo again (yeah, right).
And if they are going to include margin of victory - which I think they should - maybe they should top the advantage at 20 or 25 points to prevent the 40-50 point blowouts and leaving starters in. Fortunately, there aren't a lot of UConn women-type teams in the men's game.

a3uge

Quote from: vufan75 on March 06, 2017, 10:58:20 PM
Per Paul Oren's tweet, apparently now LeCrone has an idea to improve the conference.

"LeCrone repeated that league has brought in a "RPI expert" to help with data, scheduling, etc." #HLMBB
I could provide this info for free. The majority of the teams need to schedule easier. The MAC has had this strategy for years, and have multiple teams in the top 100 RPI every year, despite not being any good. The idea he needs to hire someone to tell him this is baffling.

Here's another free idea. Schedule a challenge with the swac or MEAC and play every game on the road. Pay them for it. We'd likely go 18-2 or something like that.

bbtds

I heard through the rumor mill from a contact in Valpo that Shane Hammink was ill for the Milwaukee HLT game. He tried to play through it but did not have his usual energy for drives to the basket or shooting long range shots. Did anyone else hear this rumor?

valpotx

Quote from: bbtds on March 11, 2017, 11:39:08 PM
I heard through the rumor mill from a contact in Valpo that Shane Hamminck was ill for the Milwaukee HLT game. He tried to play through it but did not have his usual energy for drives to the basket or shooting long range shots. Did anyone else hear this rumor?

He did look out of it.  I took it as not giving a crap, but looking back, he did look sick around the eyes.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valpo89

I heard through the rumor mill from a contact in Valpo that Shane Hamminck was ill for the Milwaukee HLT game. He tried to play through it but did not have his usual energy for drives to the basket or shooting long range shots. Did anyone else hear this rumor?
You mean Shane Hammink?

bbtds

Quote from: Valpo89 on March 13, 2017, 04:18:03 PM
You mean Shane Hammink?

Yep, he was from Hamtramck, Michigan.   ;)

crusader05

Shane being sick at tournament time would be par for the course for this season, that's for sure.

bbtds

Quote from: crusader05 on March 13, 2017, 07:47:55 PM
Shane being sick at tournament time would be par for the course for this season, that's for sure.

Valparaiso looked every bit a NCAA contender when it beat BYU, Alabama and No. 21 Rhode Island earlier this season, but then the dominoes started to fall, beginning with Jubril Adekoya's suspension and culminating with injuries to Alec Peters (foot) and Shane Hammink (stomach).

Paul called it an "injury" in this story for today.