• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Per Report: Alec Peters OUT for rest of season & End to his College Career

Started by VU2014, March 01, 2017, 08:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

This will be interesting, and definitely the correct decision by Alec.  I am sure that he would have played had he been cleared with a stress reaction versus a fracture.  Fantastic player to watch, and a great individual overall. 

I don't hold out high hopes, but we did see that our guys can step up and play with the best teams in the HL away from home.  We still have a great shot at winning the HL tournament with our current cast.  It is incredible that we are able to say that with what we have gone through with Keith Carter and Jubril Adekoya, and now Alec Peters.  We beat Wright State on their court and only lost by 4 at NKU without these key players, so we can do it.  Anyone who says that we have no chance, did not watch those 2 games, where we took both upper-tier HL teams down to the wire.  No other HL team would be able to do such a thing without their star players, as we have shown that we can do.  Even when times are bad, it is good to be a fan of our quality program :).
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on March 01, 2017, 09:21:36 PM
Are we sure he'll be out for the Sweet 16?

I'm a little surprised they've made such a definitive statement. Is it to help the _team_ move past it?

You'd think there would be an advantage to keeping other teams guessing, albeit it could be very distracting for Valpo too.

I'd have been very pleased to see him suit up for the HL final, or an NCAA game, etc. at least for the "head game" aspect of it.

And, it does seem odd to take him off the table in the event of some kind of deep post-season run. Probably he _could_ still come back, even now. Maybe they'll surprise us sometime in the pre-game.

Surely he's planning, or at least hoping, for the NBA Draft Combine May 9.

M

He's done.  People in the athletic department have known he was done for several weeks.  Time to move on.

agibson

Quote from: M on March 03, 2017, 12:24:45 PMPeople in the athletic department have known he was done for several weeks.

There were grim prognoses circulating before the official announcement. But, he scored 23 points 10 days ago! If someone knew something several weeks ago, I'd love to hear the story.

And, I'm at least curious about the strategy vis a vis public announcements, and definitive announcements at that. Seems ripe fodder for fan discussion as we wait for the games to begin.

VULB#62

A stress FRACTURE is a minimum of 6 weeks - that takes it to around April 5th.  March Madness final is April 3rd. My son sustained a broken fibula (small long bone) playing soccer and that too was 6 weeks once he was immobilized.  If the tibia (large long bone and the one that supports the full weight) is the one affected, depending on the severity of the stress fracture, the healing period would start at 6 weeks and possibly be more.

Signed,
DR. LB#62

NativeCheesehead

So, yeah. No one is allowed to wear 23 anymore. Period. It's cursed.

VULB#62

VUOR63

covufan

Quote from: VUOR63 on March 03, 2017, 04:37:49 PM
Who's going to wear #25 in the Horizon League Tournament?
Everyone.  On their shoes and warm up t-shirts.  just a guess

justducky

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 03, 2017, 12:50:34 PMSo, yeah. No one is allowed to wear 23 anymore. Period. It's cursed.

Lets put it to best use. Encase it under glass and prominently display it in the visiting locker room.

valpo64

Didn't Smits have a stress fracture in the foot that kept him out all of last year?

VU2624

Stress Fractures can be tough to pin down even with X-Ray and MRI. It's possible, if not probable, that Alec and the team knew he had a stress reaction for some time while the Fracture was not confirmed until a few days prior to him sitting out. This may explain, in part, Alec's dad being so feisty regarding the Jubril situation.

motowntitan

Watching the championship tonight, this still hurts.

He was exactly the kind of player that could have put this team on his shoulders and made a Sweet Sixteen run. 

As much as I hate the NBA, I wish him the best.