• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2017 NIT?

Started by VUSWIM08-12, March 08, 2017, 09:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

I know we are without Peters, but seems strange that we beat a 1, 3 and 4 seed.  I haven't looked at any numbers concerning the participants, but my gut really doesn't think that Oakland should be an 8 seed either.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Taking a quick peek at records. Based on overall records, I think you could make an argument for Valpo as the best 7 seed, at the moment. And for Oakland as a middling 8 seed.

Oakland could go higher if you like late-season momentum, and are willing to discount the tournament loss. Or, of course, if bad NIT auto-bids lose in their tournaments.

Valpo could easily go lower, depending on how much people weight Alec being out.

There seem to be 11-12 NIT auto-bids left that could be used. That could very easily knock Valpo out. All play Saturday. Many play today, tomorrow, or both. Arlington and Princeton play Sunday, if they don't lose by then. (America East has a bizarre tournament format; Wednesday, Monday, Saturday; plenty of rest.) Root for chalk!

Hard to say which would be better for Valpo. A 7-2 NIT game, or similar. Or a CIT or CBI game.

Hopefully the team can get up for whatever game it plays, in the post-season! Based on past years, this seems not at all a given. A task for the coaching staff, perhaps, and for team leaders among the players.

VUOR63

I suppose the thinking behind playing in the NIT/CIT/CBI is to further develop the youngsters?  Frankly, with how this season has gone, I wouldn't be opposed to turning down a bid and turning your attention to next season.

VU2624

Playing more games means formally practicing more and provides attention to next year. Coaches want to practice. Valpo will play....somewhere.

VU2014

Even the experts don't know how the NIT will decide. Valpo's record and resume says they are an NIT Team but the NIT knows Alec won't be playing. Not sure if they should be taking into account Alec's injury. Based on merit, Valpo deserves to be in.
https://twitter.com/nybuckets/status/839687084235374593

VU2014

Vandy is being talked in the conversation of Last 4 in/Last 4 out talk. Part of me wants to see Bryce get in but another part of me sort of wants to play Vandy in the NIT and beat them (it would be tough without Alec).

Could you imagine the narrative of Bryce's Vandy vs his old team Valpo (with the players he recruited & left on Valpo).

I have no ill will over the whole Bryce leaving and I completely understand but I would really want that win. That win would feel so good. 

covufan

We need the rest of the one-bid conference expected winners to win.  Otherwise most of them will sent to NIT with Oakland.

Middle Tenn, Nevada, Texas Arl, Vermont, Princeton, Akron, CSU Bakersfield, Texas Southern, UC Irvine, North Dakota, NC Central, & New Orleans all need to win their conference tournaments.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on March 09, 2017, 01:22:50 PM
Even the experts don't know how the NIT will decide. Valpo's record and resume says they are an NIT Team but the NIT knows Alec won't be playing. Not sure if they should be taking into account Alec's injury. Based on merit, Valpo deserves to be in.
https://twitter.com/nybuckets/status/839687084235374593

Should get a kick starter going to fund "VU2014" deep analysis and understanding of VU recruiting.  Well done!  The twitter verse is not my forte....Face Book was "barely" a thing when we graduated.  Keep the flood gates open Sir!

agibson

Quote from: VU2014 on March 09, 2017, 01:22:50 PMValpo's record and resume says they are an NIT Team but the NIT knows Alec won't be playing. Not sure if they should be taking into account Alec's injury. Based on merit, Valpo deserves to be in.

I don't even know how they're "supposed" to handle it. Even the NCAA committee.

If a player was injured during a loss, and will be back for the tournament, they'll take that into account. Sort of helping to explain a questionable loss. The extent to which they account for this seems to be subjective.

But, if a key player will be _out_ for the tournament, it's not clear to what extent they're supposed to discount a team's accomplishments.

Some sites talk about the committee not being supposed to "project" into the future, being more a matter of rewarding resumee. I don't know if it matters that they have evidence (e.g. 1-2 with a loss to Milwaukee) of Valpo's performance without Alec. They're not left wondering "how big of a drop off will it be?". They actually have some evidence...

But, frankly, I'm not sure we _want_ to draw a "last four out" kind of team. Without Alec maybe we're better off against a good-but-not-great mid-major. If the team can get up for the game.

justducky

Quote from: agibson on March 09, 2017, 05:55:24 PMBut, frankly, I'm not sure we _want_ to draw a "last four out" kind of team. Without Alec maybe we're better off against a good-but-not-great mid-major. If the team can get up for the game.
Agree. Matt should make the call but he should weigh the risk vs reward.

Open question. Suppose we are seeded as a 7 and had to travel to California to play a 2016 level St Mary's team. Could we in any way compete? Would Matt be afraid of things getting out of hand? Our season has already sputtered down the stretch and a new embarrassment could be counterproductive for the freshmen.

VU2014

QuoteOpen question. Suppose we are seeded as a 7 and had to travel to California to play a 2016 level St Mary's team. Could we in any way compete? Would Matt be afraid of things getting out of hand? Our season has already sputtered down the stretch and a new embarrassment could be counterproductive for the freshmen.

We are with out a doubt not as good as last year, but even without Alec I think we could "compete" but it would honestly be up to the guys to be energized and actually get up for the game. After losing Alec the air kind of came out of the balloon in terms of energy, especially after NKU loss. By no means would be favored to win. We'd be heavy underdogs going into there place. We are super then and missing an NBA level talent. I think some kind of postseason play would be great for Micah, Smits and Sorolla.

a3uge

Quote from: justducky on March 09, 2017, 08:59:12 PM
Quote from: agibson on March 09, 2017, 05:55:24 PMBut, frankly, I'm not sure we _want_ to draw a "last four out" kind of team. Without Alec maybe we're better off against a good-but-not-great mid-major. If the team can get up for the game.
Agree. Matt should make the call but he should weigh the risk vs reward.

Open question. Suppose we are seeded as a 7 and had to travel to California to play a 2016 level St Mary's team. Could we in any way compete? Would Matt be afraid of things getting out of hand? Our season has already sputtered down the stretch and a new embarrassment could be counterproductive for the freshmen.

Are people really paying attention to the first round of the NIT to the point where you'd feel embarrassment by a big loss?

justducky

Quote from: a3uge on March 09, 2017, 09:39:16 PMAre people really paying attention to the first round of the NIT to the point where you'd feel embarrassment by a big loss?
My or your reaction is not important but what would a first round BIG loss in the NIT do for the 17-18 team mindset? Again we hired Matt to make these calls and I would trust his judgement, but this would not be risk free.

usc4valpo

Playing more games, getting more practice and evaluating players is always a good thing, whether it is NIT, CIT or CBI. That being said with the state of the team, if get an NIT bid they will likely get smoked in the first round. I am sure people will disagree but to get more practice and development Valpo may be better off competing in the CBI or CIT. The NIT is not all that prestigious and more games and more practices with lower competition may be beneficial for next year.

VU2014

I don't think there was any way Valpo attended the Vegas 16 (since we've already been there this season), but looks like there will be no Vegas 16 Tournament this year.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/basketball/vegasmadness/vegas-16-postseason-tournament-won-t-be-played-year

Vegas 16 postseason tournament won't be played this year

By MARK ANDERSON
LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

Vegas 16 selection chairman Jim Livengood said he still believes the postseason basketball tournament will work, but it won't take place this year.

"We really thought over the last two weeks we still had a good chance," said Livengood, a former UNLV athletic director. "We felt we needed more confirmation and assurance that teams would be there."

The Vegas 16 launched last year, but had trouble from the start when organizers invited eight teams. Sparse attendance at Mandalay Bay Events Center marked the debut of the tournament, won by Old Dominion, but organizers believed they had a strong concept that would eventually catch on.

Livengood said he still believes in the format, which is modeled after football bowls where fans travel to experience the host city as much as the game itself.

But Livengood said playing two weeks after Selection Sunday was problematic because many teams didn't want to play so long after conference tournaments had ended. He also said competing with the more established College Basketball Invitational and CollegeInsider.com Tournament was difficult.

"Also, more and more we were seeing from a contractual sense if you weren't in the NCAA Tournament or (National Invitation Tournament), you were not in the postseason," Livengood said.

a3uge

Quote from: justducky on March 09, 2017, 11:19:42 PM
Quote from: a3uge on March 09, 2017, 09:39:16 PMAre people really paying attention to the first round of the NIT to the point where you'd feel embarrassment by a big loss?
My or your reaction is not important but what would a first round BIG loss in the NIT do for the 17-18 team mindset? Again we hired Matt to make these calls and I would trust his judgement, but this would not be risk free.

Well their last game, as it stands now, was a loss to a 10 seed in the conference tournament. So I don't think getting blown out by a decentish team in the NIT will do much more to hurt their confidence.

vu72

A game with TCU would be great!  Good batch of Alums here in DFW!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

If TCU can beat Kansas, Valpo can beat TCU :popcorn: 

VU2014

Kansas didn't have Jackson (potential #1 pick in the NBA draft) in that TCU game.

Also its classic Bill Self basketball too drop games to lesser teams. A lot KU's guy didn't get up to play that game... TCU's not bad but they are not that good. Could we beat them without Alec and a super short bench? Who knows.

I think any postseason games Valpo plays in the X-Factor for Valpo being competitive will be Valpo's mindset going into the game. Its been such a deflating season for us, based on factors that were out Valpo's control. If the guys really want it then I think Valpo has a chance against most  of the likelt NIT teams.

VU2014

Vermont just won their Conference Tournament (barely). Small boost to Valpo's chances of getting an invite to the NIT.

Still depends how the NIT decides treat Valpo with the Alec Peters injury.

valpotx

We would beat TCU, regardless of them having beaten Kansas.  I would love to see that game.  I have a lot of friends that went to TCU, and I completed my MBA from the school.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

I believe that Rhode Island also won today.

usc4valpo

I wonder if USC will make it in. maybe if not they face Valpo in the first round!