• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #33, NIT round one Tuesday March 14 @ Illinois 6:15pmCT

Started by talksalot, March 12, 2017, 09:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Quote from: VUSWIM08-12 on March 13, 2017, 03:00:54 PM
I got seats in section 134 with a buddy of mine...anyone have seats close??

There at least two other Valpo fans in that section - first row.

I never did see an official announcement from Valpo about those two sections (134, 135). Maybe that's where the box office (both box offices?) would steer fans if asked.

agibson

UIUC presser with the interim coach linked from
http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=1288645&postcount=81
and a couple of players too.

Turn to about 2m30 in the coaches video to learn that Alex won't be playing, but that Shawn's pretty good. (OK - it's day two or three on the job, give him a break I guess.)

The VU Coaches Show is at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnEUHnG1ESc

M

Shawn has been a good player all year, even Tevin has flown under the radar a bit.

VU2014

QuoteShawn has been a good player all year, even Tevin has flown under the radar a bit.

hahaha don't forget about Mack. Mack has really improved this season lol

VU2014

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-mens-basketball-valparaiso-st-0314-20170313-story.html

Lexus' drive: Marist's Williams relishes return trip to Illinois with Valparaiso
By:Michael Osipoff
Post-Tribune

March 13, 2017

Lexus Williams hopes to create new and improved memories at the State Farm Center, the venue formerly known as Assembly Hall.

The redshirt junior guard returns as seventh-seeded Valparaiso plays second-seeded Illinois at 6:15 p.m. Tuesday in the first round of the NIT, which will be televised by ESPN2.

Williams, a Marist graduate, played against the Illini in the third game of his career with the Crusaders as a freshman and the first on the road. He was looking forward to another trip.

"It's kind of emotional being from Chicago, an Illinois kid," Williams said. "Being able to go down there, it's going to be a fun game."

Give rest a read

VU2014

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/college/crusaders-aim-for-return-trip-to-madison-square-garden/article_65d77abd-ba3e-57d2-88ef-0024414ef1e4.html

Crusaders aim for return trip to Madison Square Garden

By: Paul Oren Times
Mar 13, 2017

Lexus Williams didn't watch the NIT Selection Show on Sunday night.

The Valparaiso point guard had been through enough heartbreak for one season, and the Chicago native didn't want to endure any more pain that would be stretched out over 30 minutes.

When his phone buzzed with a text message from Valparaiso assistant coach Luke Gore and Williams saw that the Crusaders were going to be playing Illinois today in the first round of the National Invitation Tournament, Williams immediately flipped on the television.

"I didn't want to end up disappointed," Williams said. "I'm excited, especially for the opponent we have. It's kind of emotional being from Chicago, being an Illinois kid."

Give it a read

ValpoFan

Quote from: VUSWIM08-12 on March 13, 2017, 03:00:54 PMI got seats in section 134 with a buddy of mine...anyone have seats close??

I am in section 134, row 3.

covufan

crusader05

Just announced the game has been moved up to 6:00 and will be ESPN

EddieCabot

Quote from: crusader05 on March 14, 2017, 02:23:44 PM
Just announced the game has been moved up to 6:00 and will be ESPN

Fills spot of the Greensboro-Syracuse game, which was postponed due to the weather out here.

crusadermoe

Quick thought:  Shane and Jay have quirky strengths and weaknesses.  Maybe a team with a temp head coach on under 48 hours notice won't be able to prep for them nearly as well as conference rivals who know them.   Shane will be the x factor tonight.  Example: he was able to drive the hoop against Oregon easily last year.

ValpoDad89

Really glad we get some additional national exposure!!! This helps brand recognition and exposure to potential recruits. Also even the extra week of practice time and game against a P5 opponent will help the young ones out down the road.

Hoping Bradford plays with a bit of a chip seeing Kankakee is about an hour and a half north of Champaign and I don't believe they even looked at him. Hope he brings a solid contingent too. Kids get a chance to create a team identity without Alec that they can carry into next year. I'd prefer Mr. Peters  be healthy but he can't come back and we need to see how we fit together without him. The more games the coaches get with these kids the better prepared they can be going into 2017-2018. Plus I'd love for us to beat Illinois soundly. They're fans on the Loyalty board seemed a bit smug to me.

crusader05

Also, we've played most of our games with a Peter's driven offense. Not a lot of tape to prepare for what these team looks like without him. 3 games total. and now with more than a week to prepare a new offensive scheme. Might not be super easy to prep for.

VUOR63

justducky

Quote from: crusader05 on March 14, 2017, 02:42:08 PMAlso, we've played most of our games with a Peter's driven offense. Not a lot of tape to prepare for what these team looks like without him. 3 games total. and now with more than a week to prepare a new offensive scheme. Might not be super easy to prep for.
Start with the double low post and make the Illinois coaching staff react first. Not saying this will work but we will need to introduce this next year (limited use) so why not throw them a surprise. We can adjust when they adjust. In my opinion this will require a great effort just to keep us in striking distance. Hope the team is ready and willing to have some FUN!

NativeCheesehead

This is the TW I've been looking forward to. We may get run out the gym but early good sign for next season. If he's ready to be the alpha look out Horizon.

FieldGoodie05

Shane once again INVISIBLE.  Sorry gents, without him we lose by 26. 

On a side note, IL is playing / fouling a lot.  Refs letting it go, which hurts us.  We just aren't physical enough.

DMvalpo18

Tevvon is very dynamic right now. Kiser continues to play hard and hustle. Not much else going right.

NativeCheesehead

I love the fact that almost nothing is being called. It shows who has the toughness to give it right back. TW does. Watched Micah two handed shove off a defender to receive an inbound. This is big boy basketball and we're playing our B team. Not a lot of skill but a ton of heart.

FieldGoodie05

Smits, learn to friggin box out.  Use that body, soft soft soft.  Also noticed he could use some knee pads, he's on his knees more than a woman bball player.

VULB#62

Confirmed:  he (Derrik) is a project.  But if he progresses like Vashil, watch out.

But Jay is being beat up inside as well.  Weight, Weights, Weights!