• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Team Uniforms

Started by DMvalpo18, March 13, 2017, 12:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMvalpo18

You'll have to forgive me for asking such a trivial question,  but I legimately want an answer to this. Why did the uniforms this year have the last names on the back of the jerseys removed? I personally like the last names on the back. It seems more professional....Well, maybe not the best adjective in an amateur sport, but you know what I mean. High school teams don't have last names on the back, so having them puts a more classy touch I think. I like the design of the new home uniforms, but the road uniforms look like practice jerseys to me.

valpotx

It was probably Coach Lottich's decision.  I know that Coach Twenge didn't want us playing for the names on our back, so we never had such things in baseball.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Some names are just way too long!!!

VU2014

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/840002424161067008
Love this picture. Unfortunately the Bears have a similar list...

But I also like the names on the back of the Jersey.

VUOR63

I'd rather see brown in the uniforms before putting the names on the back of the jersey.

valpo64

I can't understand the uniform thing either.  But my biggest gripe is not using brown and gold/yellow.  Then this year we use gray as the accent color!  What's with that?  Somebody has to be pushing the black with everything deal.  Has anyone ever explained to our coaches that our school colors are BROWN and GOLD?   There are only a few schools that have those school colors...Wyoming is one.  Using our school colors would definitely be unique.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: bbtds on March 13, 2017, 07:46:11 AM

Some names are just way too long!!!

;D :lol: That made me laugh out loud!! That currently isn't an issue with our roster, but it could be in the future.

bigmosmithfan1

The "play for the name on the front not on the back" is such a tired, dated (and untrue) cliche and a dumb reason to potentially annoy a recruit and make it harder for fans watching on TV to get to know your team. Every single one of the past 30 national champions has had their names on the back of their jerseys. Didn't prevent them from winning it all for the name on the front of them.

(Yes, recruits shouldn't be picking schools based on stuff like that. Newsflash: they're still 17-year-olds and sometimes want their families to see their name on their jersey on TV. Little things are often the difference if a recruit is torn between two schools equally.)

I'd suspect the change is either driven by frugality (saving a few hundred bucks on equipment), or the Nike style guide (depending upon the contract, we might not have final say on details like that).

StlVUFan

News flash: This was reported and talked about 6 months ago prior to or near the beginning of the season.  It was asked and answered then.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 13, 2017, 01:27:06 PM
News flash: This was reported and talked about 6 months ago prior to or near the beginning of the season.  It was asked and answered then.

Well my bad for missing it. I don't always see everything. No one does.

M

No excuses, DM...you are expected to be up to date on everything ever discussed on this board at all times.  I would imagine that thread turned into a discussion about facilities or moving to a new conference.

VULB#62

.... if I recall correctly, it was facilities.

:banghead:   :deadhorse:

VU2014

I think we should really get a new ARC  ;)

covufan

Quote from: VU2014 on March 14, 2017, 09:00:01 AM
I think we should really get a new ARC  ;)
I thought they put the ARC in a government warehouse almost 80 years ago.

crusadermoe

Hey, let's start a rumor that the campaign now includes an arena.    ;D

VU2014

QuoteI thought they put the ARC in a government warehouse almost 80 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRP0MBNoieY

rogerwilco

Actually, I wouldn't mind having a brown uniform as a second road uni set. It'd be pretty unique.

usc4valpo

I wish the Marquette uniforms would come back, but the NCAA made a critical decision to ban them. Those over the shorts jerseys were fantastic.

Valpo89

How about the fluorescent yellow/green Baylor wears?

usc4valpo

Baylor' s uniforms need to be trashed.

bigmosmithfan1

Need to break out the old burnt-orange numbers that VU wore for a few years in the mid-1980s.

(Actually, no we don't. But I still haven't ever figured out why we did that. And I would love to find one on eBay or something).

ARCInsider

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 13, 2017, 01:27:06 PM

ARCInsider

Quote from: M on March 13, 2017, 01:43:56 PM
No excuses, DM...you are expected to be up to date on everything ever discussed on this board at all times.  I would imagine that thread turned into a discussion about facilities or moving to a new conference.

The old guard around here can be insufferable at times. 

usc4valpo

Those lovely burnt orange uniforms. ah memories from those exhilarating years of Valpo basketball. Perhaps the Valpo sporting goods store has a discount of that uniform style.

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteThose lovely burnt orange uniforms. ah memories from those exhilarating years of Valpo basketball.

Also known as "The ARC Curtain Era." Where the mezzanine curtain would be down for all but one or two home games per season to make the crowd seem bigger. When a four-digit attendance figure was a big deal. When not going 0-fer in the AMCU-8 season was viewed as a huge win. When taking Cleveland State to OT before losing was a massive program-builder. When a Harry Bell reverse dunk was one of the few things to put butts in the seats. (Okay, that was actually cool. Harry Bell was one of the most fun players to watch in VU history.)

I get the notion that some of the younger fans who talk about "embarrassing" losses on the road against a Big Ten team in the NIT have *no clue* where this program once was. (Hint: many of us longtime fans remember, and that's why we're in no hurry to go back - hence our constant talk about investing in the program, better facilities, moving up conferences, etc. Falling back to that level is a heckuva lot easier than people realize).