• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Coach Warner is leaving Valpo Staff to become the Head Coach at Flagler College

Started by VU2014, April 01, 2017, 06:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Coach Warner who was here for one year as the Special Assistant to the Head Coach/Recruiting Coordinator is leaving to become the Head Coach of lagler College's Men's Basketball Program.

We wish him the best of luck!

https://twitter.com/FlaglerSports/status/848266110478815233
https://twitter.com/ValpoAD/status/848333174874570752
https://twitter.com/apete1993/status/848318610397315072
https://twitter.com/CoachLottich/status/850149106433613824

VU2014

Now I'm curious how this impacts Valpo's recruiting going forward?

Who would be a good candidate to replace him? Who is the likely candidate to replace Coach Warner's position?

Joel Zimba is the Director of Basketball Operations. Does Joel move up and maybe Austin Peters take Joel's spot as Director of Basketball Operations?

Bio: In his second season working with the Valparaiso University men's basketball program, Joel Zimba will serve as the program's director of basketball operations for the 2016-17 season. Zimba arrived at Valpo prior to the 2015-16 campaign and spent last season as a graduate manager for the Crusaders, helping the program as it won a school-record 30 games, a Horizon League regular season championship and advanced to the title game of the NIT. Zimba has spent numerous summers working as a camp counselor and coach at the Bo Ryan Basketball Camp and the Wesley Matthews Skills Academy. He also assisted Matthews in his personal workouts during the summer of 2014. Zimba graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2011 with a bachelor's degree in Afro-American Studies Intergroup Relations. He received his master's degree in Sports Administration from Valparaiso in 2016.

valpotx

Coach Warner was destined to find something else after 1 season with Valpo.  He has a great record at the NAIA level, and had a cup of coffee within NCAA D-2.  We won't be able to get someone with the quality background that he had, in this type of position.  Did we just create this title specifically for him? 
"Don't mess with Texas"

RS

I believe there will be no replacement. Coach Warner had a special designation  He was listed as Special Assistant to the Head Coach. I think that position was made for him because none of the coaches have headed a program before and Coach Warner could guide Matt in setting up the program correctly. VU already has 3 assistant coaches which I believe is all that allowed in basketball. So unless another special position is created I believe there will be no replacement. As far as recruiting coordinator an assistant coach will probably take up that responsibility. More than likely I think it would be Luke Gore as he is the associate head coach. Any more thoughts would appreciated.

chef

Basically the only restriction is 3 recruiting assistants. Bigger schools create all sorts of positions (video coordination, assistant to the head coach, etc.) to add positions to help the program. These extra positions can't go on the road and recruit and also can't coach during practice  ;)

crusadermoe

On a somewhat related topic,...Pro baseball team coaching staffs just keep getting bigger.

I have to laugh sometimes.  Just yesterday, I saw a roster for one team that listed not only the manager, pitching coach, third base coach, and first base coach; but also an infield coach, an outfield coach, a hitting coach, an assistant hitting coach, a bullpen coach, and of all things,..a "bench coach". 

What the hell is a bench coach?  Do they coach the bench?  Is there room in the dugout for all  these guys and their sunflower seeds? 

jloose128

The bench coach is basically the second-in-command on the team; he's the guy who takes over as manager if he's ejected or whatever. I do agree that the staffs seem to be swelling up. A usual MLB staff used to be manager, bench coach, 1B coach, 3B coach, hitting coach, pitching coach, bullpen coach, but they seem to be expanding like crazy. Clearly there's no specific rules about how big the coaching staff can be.

bbtds

Quote from: jloose128 on April 05, 2017, 10:15:51 PM
The bench coach is basically the second-in-command on the team; he's the guy who takes over as manager if he's ejected or whatever. I do agree that the staffs seem to be swelling up. A usual MLB staff used to be manager, bench coach, 1B coach, 3B coach, hitting coach, pitching coach, bullpen coach, but they seem to be expanding like crazy. Clearly there's no specific rules about how big the coaching staff can be.

You forgot the base running coach and the catchers coordinator. :-)

VULB#62

The bench coach is basically the second-in-command on the team; he's the guy who takes over as manager if he's ejected or whatever. I do agree that the staffs seem to be swelling up. A usual MLB staff used to be manager, bench coach, 1B coach, 3B coach, hitting coach, pitching coach, bullpen coach, but they seem to be expanding like crazy. Clearly, there's no specific rule about how big the coaching staff can be.

I also view the bench coach as sort of the "Chief Strategist" advisor to the Manager. It's Kind of like what Steve Bannon is to Trump.  Oops, maybe not anymore.

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 06, 2017, 09:08:33 AM
The bench coach is basically the second-in-command on the team; he's the guy who takes over as manager if he's ejected or whatever. I do agree that the staffs seem to be swelling up. A usual MLB staff used to be manager, bench coach, 1B coach, 3B coach, hitting coach, pitching coach, bullpen coach, but they seem to be expanding like crazy. Clearly, there's no specific rule about how big the coaching staff can be.

I also view the bench coach as sort of the "Chief Strategist" advisor to the Manager. It's Kind of like Steve Bannon is to Trump.  Oops, maybe not anymore.

No politics please. Lets not go down that road.

VU2014

I wonder if Chris Sparks would ever come back and be an Assistant for Valpo. He was a pretty darn good recruiter and a good coach. He was the Coach that discovered Broekhoff. He also is an alumni of Valpo.

I know Coach Warner's position may have only been temporary but maybe he could join the staff again in some capacity. If Valpo has to the funds and would look to fill "Recruiting Coordinator/Assistant to the HC" (aka: 4th assistant coach), I'd think he'd be a great addition to the staff, if he'd be willing to come back. Worth a shot, imo.

historyman

Quote from: RS on April 03, 2017, 01:56:52 PM
I believe there will be no replacement. Coach Warner had a special designation  He was listed as Special Assistant to the Head Coach. I think that position was made for him because none of the coaches have headed a program before and Coach Warner could guide Matt in setting up the program correctly. VU already has 3 assistant coaches which I believe is all that allowed in basketball. So unless another special position is created I believe there will be no replacement. As far as recruiting coordinator an assistant coach will probably take up that responsibility. More than likely I think it would be Luke Gore as he is the associate head coach. Any more thoughts would appreciated.

I've recently been named Special Assistant to the Head Coach of my household. My wife said it was a promotion. I'm still not sure.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann