• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo to be visited by MVC this week, thoughts?

Started by isu87, March 31, 2013, 06:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the MVC a good fit for Valpo?  Why?

Yes, because of increased stature that comes to men's basketball.
11 (24.4%)
Yes, because of greater opportunity to keep Bryce around longer.
2 (4.4%)
Yes, because of greater long-term possibility for growth and profit.
15 (33.3%)
Yes, because of some other reason I'm too smart to share with you, Mr. Poll Man.
1 (2.2%)
No, because of the stiff start-up costs (exit fee, loss of Butler NCAA $, travel)
1 (2.2%)
No, because of too much travel for student-athletes
2 (4.4%)
No, because we still don't know what the HL plans to do vis-á-vis expansion.
7 (15.6%)
No, because of another reason you were too dumb to think of, Polley McPollerson.
6 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: April 13, 2013, 07:03:46 PM

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

• Oakland has won exactly ZERO conference tournament championships over the past 6 seasons.
• Oakland has won exactly ONE conference tournament game over the past 6 seasons.
• Of Oakland's 6 conference tournament losses over the past 6 seasons, they were favored in All but 1 game.
• Oakland has won exactly ONE conference regular season championship over the past 6 seasons, and that was gifted by AP's season ending injury.

No wonder the A-10 came a call'in.  ::)

bbtds

Yep, Sofia Vergara told me I should do an episode of Modern Family with her. But I had to turn her down. I didn't feel my acting ability was quite good enough.

elephtheria47

Witchita State would accept an AAC invite, per article on ESPN today. AAC will vote in the coming weeks and takes at least 75% approval. Would begin in 18-19.

How good is the MVC without WSU and Creighton?? I still dont think MVC is the answer for Valpo.

VU2014

MVC may be better. Idk. MVC without Creighton/Wichita St is extremely diminished. Thats a one bid league without WSU for sure, same as the HL. I'm curious what the revenues of the MVC would be without WSU compared to the HL currently.

I've read the MVC message boards and there are some crazy people over there wanting NKU. NKU has upside, good stadium, good team but 1 yr track record & had a cake walk in the Conf Tourney. Most of those fans think the Dakota Schools are the best option for when the WSU leaves. Just because they think they have the Financial backing to be turn into a great team.

ISU and UNI fans don't seem happy in the MVC, especially with the news of WSU most likely leaving. Maybe they could be poached. I'd like us to vote YSU and CSU out the conference (specifically YSU), to free up a spot for a team. Maybe LeCrone could step it up and poach ISU or UNI (not likely).

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteHow good is the MVC without WSU and Creighton??

Still way, way better than the HL in terms of revenues, name recognition, TV coverage and fan support.

usc4valpo

I stiill think a move to the MVC would be a step up. Seriously, for the past month many of you have been harsh on critiquing the Horizon league tournament and LeCrone. UNI and Illinois State have been pretty good. Bradley has potential to get better. the MVC has better post season tournament also.

an invite to the AAC or the A10 is not going happens in the near future. My question is if the Horizon league fulfills our needs, is sustainable and headed in right direction.

VU2014

One thing to mention is WSU is a Public school and I was talking to someone who is more in the know then me about the whole thing and he mentioned how they may want to replace a public school with another public school. MVC is majority Public and it may be a sticking point for the Public schools involved. The Dakota school look like obvious candidates I guess.

If we were to get an invite from the MVC I think we should take it and it is a better conf based on revenues, name recognition, TV coverage and fan support like bigmosmithfan1 mentioned, but just purely from a competitive standpoint after WSU leaves may be significantly close the gap. HL will be much better in the next few yrs but its cyclical and the MVC will be more consistent if I had to guess.

Still can't believe the MVC let in Loyola pretty much solely based on the "market". Nobody and I mean nobody pays attention to Loyola basketball and it's doubtful its impacted their TV ratings like they were hoping. Loyola has received a recruiting boost from the MVC but they are still middle of the pack and very low key addition. I wonder if most of the school wish they could have that vote back.

usc4valpo

Excellent points 2014, particularly on Loyola basketball. I think the addition of Loyola has not benefitted the MVC.

Why do you think competition in the Horizon League will get better?

VU2014

QuoteWhy do you think competition in the Horizon League will get better?

Oakland
OU is a going to be a heavy favorite next season. Most of the best players are seniors. Kampe is a good coach and I'm assuming they will maintain being a competitive team in the league post next season.

UIC
UIC was one of the youngest teams in the nation last year and McClain has done an insanely good job recruiting. They will be better next season and will be the "surprise" team to those who haven't been paying attention to UIC basketball. I don't particularly think McClain is a great coach on the X's & O's and in game tactician but the guy can recruit and they will have the talent to be good for the next 2-3 years. I actually personally think UIC is going to see some transfers after next season. Lots of talent and not enough shots to go around. Also they have quite a few ball dominant players. Marcus Ottey is going to be a beast for the next few seasons.

Northern Kentucky
NKU is going to get better. They have a very nice 7ft freshman next season. They'll lose one of their better players to transfer next season. Drew McDonald/Mason Faulkner/Carson Williams are good players. Drew McDonald is a first team player the next 2 seasons. They also are very well coach with Brannen. Nice arena, good booster support, and a commit University to the program. They are on the rise. We all give LeCrone a lot of crap and rightfully so, but he made to very shrewd moves bringing in NKU and OU to the conference.

Green Bay
Green Bay is just a solid basketball program and their AD has done a really nice job always working with the resources provided to them. Made a great hire with Linc Darner. I'm not sure about his ability to recruit but he's a very good coach. Green Bay has a 1st team all conference player with Kerem Kanter and looks like they picked up a solid midseason transfer with Sandy Cohen, III who is a former 4 star recruit from Marquette. My buddy went to Marquette and I asked him about him and he said he's a little overrated but should be good with a MM program. They should be competitive for the foreseeable future.

Wright State
Wright State made a great hire with Nagy who did a a good job at South Dakota (I'm not sure why he left SD? Was there for +20years and they may get an invite to the MVC) He's a good coach. They were surprisingly good this season. I have confidence he will make/maintain a level of competitiveness.

Detroit-Mercy
Detroit wasn't great this season but at least Bacari Alexander cleaned up the program and got rid of the trouble makers. They have a good Freshman in Corey Allen. Detroit also really invested in their coaching staff. They have the highest budget in all of the HL. Its a sign the University is still committed. It may take another few years but Detroit will be better in the future.

Milwaukee
Milwaukee also not great but they made a good hire in LaVall Jordan. It's going to take a few years.

YSU & CSU
YSU & CSU moved on from their coaches and hopefully those new hires could turn around those programs. I have more faith in CSU then YSU. Tressel doesn't seem to care about Basketball. They opened up the check book on their Football program. I just want them to get a chance to go FBS in football. Apparently the MAAC isn't interested in adding another Ohio team (please take them MAAC 🙏). The only other option for YSU would be CAA which would probably cost too much for travel.

I don't know what to do with YSU especially if this era of YSU doesn't start working out after 3 yrs and if they don't start investing in their BBall program. They've started to spend a tad bit more but not a good commitment. Their Athletics Departments goals just don't match the Horizon Leagues being a Basketball League. Maybe the Presidents should consider voting them out if things don't turn around sometime in the next 5 yrs.

Valpo
I don't need to tell you guys. You already know. We are in good shape under Coach Lottich, but we need to find the next Peters/Broekhoff though and we'd all like facility upgrades from President Heckler and Board of Directors. Budget is receiving good support and could even see an increase if we moved to the MVC.

usc4valpo

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on March 23, 2017, 01:05:54 PMDetroit also really invested in their coaching staff. They have the highest budget in all of the HL. 

Interesting point.  Funny how Valpo had the highest paid coach in the conference who was also the highest paid employee at Valpo yet many on this board seem to think the Administration isn't committed to a successful basketball program.

One other point of note, UIC just did what Valpo couldn't do--they beat GW in the CBI tourney and now have advanced to the Semi-finals.  Good for them!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

George Washington is not the same team as last year......but good for uic.   :thumbsup: :crazy:
CRUSADERS!!!

M

Lol, Valpo did what GW could t do and that's get back to the NIT.

oklahomamick

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/3/29/15080936/conference-realignment-what-should-the-mvc-do-if-when-wichita-state-leaves-expansion-valley-shockers

Conference realignment: What should the MVC do if (when) Wichita State leaves?

Okay, so before you get fired up and prepare to send me a strongly-worded tweet or email, I need you to accept two truths:

Wichita State is going to leave the Missouri Valley Conference eventually.
    The Valley is no longer the premier mid-major conference.

The conference has been fighting a slow death since Creighton left in 2013 and if it wasn't for Wichita State, who knows what the MVC would look like. That will change when WSU jumps ship. At that point the Valley potentially falls behind the Sun Belt, MAC, Southern and Metro Atlantic conferences.

There aren't any realistic additions that can return the Valley to its mid-2000s level. Chew it up and eat it, the conference will never be the same.

However, the Valley can reinvent itself and remain relevant following the loss of the Shockers by adopting the A-10 method of expansion. Just 10 years ago the A-10 finished 11th in conference RPI, falling behind the MVC, Horizon and WAC. The A-10 is now America's best conference aside from the power conferences and Big East, thanks to the depth provided by adding Davidson, George Mason and VCU.

Option A: Go for big names

Saint Louis

I don't see this ever happening, especially with the current state of the Valley, so this is purely a dream scenario for Saint Louis to rejoin the MVC. However, this would be the first call I made if I'm Doug Elgin. Yes, SLU has finished with a 200-plus BPI in each of the last three years, which basically goes against everything I just said. But the three seasons before that were all 20-win campaigns with tournament runs. SLU was in the Valley for years, and its return would provide a boost to Arch Madness and give the league another consistent tournament (if we assume Travis Ford's recruiting translates on the court). SLU also ranked No. 77 nationally in attendance in 2015-16, ahead of Baylor, Gonzaga and Oklahoma State (and everyone in the Valley except Wichita State). Prying the Bilikens from the A-10 would be tough, but the Valley offers a more centrally-located conference schedule, which could be enticing for all sports.

Belmont

There aren't many mid-majors that have been better than Belmont over the last decade. Since 2005, the Bruins have averaged nearly 23 wins with seven NCAA Tournament appearances. Ricky Byrd has built something sustainable. The other draw is that Nashville to St. Louis isn't a terrible drive and the longest trip would be to Northern Iowa (650 miles), which is actually a shorter trip than Wichita is to Loyola. The attendance numbers aren't great but the quality of basketball is. Belmont routinely schedules well and since 2010 the Bruins have had an average BPI of 71.

Valparaiso

A Wichita State-less Missouri Valley isn't necessarily better than the Horizon, but the addition of Valpo would provide some stability. From a proximity standpoint Valparaiso is an easier travel destination for most Valley schools than Wichita State currently is. Its average attendance from 2015-16 (3,572) would rank ahead of only Drake and Loyola. Adding Valpo would give the Valley yet another elite mid-major program that has had sustained success through coaching and conference changes. Valpo has had an average BPI of 85.4 over the last five seasons.

Options B and C or laughable, not going to post them.

CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

I don't see Option A happening even though it would be awesome. Would be great for Mid-Major Basketball to have a conference like this.

VU2014

Anyone else seeing the rumors that Missouri State is strongly considering making the move to the Sun Belt Conference to reduce travel cost after this Wichita State move to the AAC. Been reading it on some message boards.

Some of the schools in the MVC are really not happy with the direction of the conference after the Creighton/WSU moves. 

a3uge

Quote from: VU2014 on March 30, 2017, 08:49:23 AM
Anyone else seeing the rumors that Missouri State is strongly considering making the move to the Sun Belt Conference to reduce travel cost after this Wichita State move to the AAC. Been reading it on some message boards.

Some of the schools in the MVC are really not happy with the direction of the conference after the Creighton/WSU moves.
I'd be ticked off if I were them - they would have had another at-large team had they added Valpo instead of Loyola.

valpopal

VU2014

vu84v2

Football parallel?   Non-scholarship and poor performing 1-AA with high-end 1-AA?

Not so sure options B and C are so laughable; on their own or in some combination with A. Northern Kentucky and Denver seem to be programs with money that are in good markets. The Dakota schools have money and strong fan bases (but, of course, are miserable to travel to). I doubt SLU would go to the MVC because they seem to have a rather inflated view of themselves (they would think they should be in the Big East). Belmont would potentially seem to be a strong choice due to market size, performance and travel ease.

VU2014

Not sure I'd want Valpo to join the MVCF... I guess its scholarship based conference and that would cost a ton of $. No thanks.

I'm perfectly fine with Valpo staying in the Pioneer League.

If the MVC forces Valpo to also join the MVCF to get an invite then I'd think we'd have to pass. Joining the MVCF would just be way too expensive and Valpo would never get its return on investment by starting that.

valpopal

Quote from: VU2014 on March 30, 2017, 10:31:47 AM
Not sure I'd want Valpo to join the MVCF... I guess its scholarship based conference and that would cost a ton of $. No thanks.

I'm perfectly fine with Valpo staying in the Pioneer League.

If the MVC forces Valpo to also join the MVCF to get an invite then I'd think we'd have to pass. Joining the MVCF would just be way too expensive and Valpo would never get its return on investment by starting that.

My understanding is that a Valpo move to MVC would be with football remaining in Pioneer League.

NativeCheesehead

First thought on this is no thanks, MVC without Wichita is dying. But it seems more and more every year the Horizon is bleeding players to transfer, coaches to bigger jobs (Brennen(sp?) already being talked about). I know part of this is the life of a mid major but it seems to be escalating more here. If MVC brings in us and Belmont, keeps ISU from leaving we could see a really good and competitive mid major conference form.

"Help us, Atlantic 10, you're our only hope."