• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Non-Conference Schedule?

Started by valpopal, May 21, 2011, 04:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

On Thursday, Purdue released its full non-conference schedule for the upcoming season, which includes Butler in the new Crossroads Classic tournament at Conseco Fieldhouse (Indiana and Notre Dame fill out the teams):

http://indiana.sbnation.com/purdue-boilermakers/2011/5/19/2179602/purdue-basketball-boilermakers-unveil-2011-12-non-conference-schedule

Has anyone pieced together parts of our non-conference schedule yet?

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on May 21, 2011, 04:14:10 PM
On Thursday, Purdue released its full non-conference schedule for the upcoming season, which includes Butler in the new Crossroads Classic tournament at Conseco Fieldhouse (Indiana and Notre Dame fill out the teams):

http://indiana.sbnation.com/purdue-boilermakers/2011/5/19/2179602/purdue-basketball-boilermakers-unveil-2011-12-non-conference-schedule

Has anyone pieced together parts of our non-conference schedule yet?

Not really, but we do get Bowling Green at the ARC and most likely travel to Missouri State.  Highly probable that we also get a pre-season tourney of some note but I haven't seen anything.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

dcvalpo

Aren't we still waiting on a game with NC State?

DMvalpo18

rlh

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 21, 2011, 06:23:17 PM
We got a check instead

dcvalpo

Quote from: rlh on May 21, 2011, 06:30:46 PM
We got a check instead

Well, I guess that's ok.  It's sort of like getting child support but never getting time with Dad...not really a great substitute, even if it does help pay the bills.

DMvalpo18

well, in this case we can take the money. a possible road game at an ACC school couldn't benefit us too much. hopefully i would be wrong about that though.

dcvalpo

Anyone care to post what an ideal non-con schedule looks like for you?  I'm talking realistically, with a few breaks going our way scheduling...here is mine.

U. of Indy (exhibition)
PNC (exhibition)
Ball State
@ Missouri State
Evansville
@ Tournament (hopefully one high major, two mids)
@Indiana
@Purdue
Western Michigan
Oakland
Toledo
Bowling Green

That is a quality schedule...full of winnable games but against good competition.  Travel would be fine.

cmack

Quote from: rlh on May 21, 2011, 06:30:46 PM
We got a check instead
We used the money to buy our way into the CIT.  Fair trade?

crusaderguy08

Oakland is supposed to visit the ARC this season. Also, the ARC may be a very busy place the weekend before Thanksgiving. That's all I'll say at this point.

dcvalpo

Quote from: crusaderguy08 on May 21, 2011, 08:40:03 PM
Oakland is supposed to visit the ARC this season. Also, the ARC may be a very busy place the weekend before Thanksgiving. That's all I'll say at this point.

C'mon man, throw us a bigger bone than that!

DMvalpo18

now you are wetting the appetites here.

dcvalpo

Just talked to my guy and he assures me that there is something big afoot at the ARC...wish I could say more, but I'll wait until some more i's are dotted and t's are crossed.  Let's just say, you guys will like this announcement, when and if it is made!

IrishDawg

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 21, 2011, 10:32:00 PM
Just talked to my guy and he assures me that there is something big afoot at the ARC...wish I could say more, but I'll wait until some more i's are dotted and t's are crossed.  Let's just say, you guys will like this announcement, when and if it is made!

Is Oprah coming?!?!?!?!   ;)

It would be great if it were something similar to getting Purdue to come last season as part of the 2 for 1 deal.

DMvalpo18

isn't that over for purdue now, since they gave us the one?

milanmiracle

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on May 21, 2011, 06:39:24 PM
well, in this case we can take the money. a possible road game at an ACC school couldn't benefit us too much. hopefully i would be wrong about that though.

Anytime you can play a BCS school, it's a benefit. That's even more true when the BCS school isn't all that good and there's a chance to be in the game unlike when VU plays UNC and Duke.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

DMvalpo18

Quote from: milanmiracle on May 21, 2011, 10:56:43 PM

Anytime you can play a BCS school, it's a benefit. That's even more true when the BCS school isn't all that good and there's a chance to be in the game unlike when VU plays UNC and Duke.

i guess i think about the duke's, unc's, and kansas'. it's cool to see us inside the dean dome or whatever. but then we get crushed. i feel like there has been a discussion before about mid level major schools being reluctant to want to play schools like us. it is risky since there is a real possibility they could lose. 

vuweathernerd

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 21, 2011, 06:44:07 PM
Anyone care to post what an ideal non-con schedule looks like for you?  I'm talking realistically, with a few breaks going our way scheduling...here is mine.

U. of Indy (exhibition)
PNC (exhibition)
Ball State
@ Missouri State
Evansville
@Indiana
@Purdue
Western Michigan
Oakland
Toledo
Bowling Green

That is a quality schedule...full of winnable games but against good competition.  Travel would be fine.

some of these games (iu, purdue in particular) seem like a bit of a stretch for the non-con schedule. the only locks are bowling green at home and missouri state in springfield, mo. oakland (i don't believe) has been confirmed yet, but is likely.

dcvalpo

Quote from: vuweathernerd on May 21, 2011, 11:42:33 PM
Quote from: dcvalpo on May 21, 2011, 06:44:07 PM

U. of Indy (exhibition)
PNC (exhibition)
Ball State
@ Missouri State
Evansville
@Indiana
@Purdue
Western Michigan
Oakland
Toledo
Bowling Green

some of these games (iu, purdue in particular) seem like a bit of a stretch for the non-con schedule. the only locks are bowling green at home and missouri state in springfield, mo. oakland (i don't believe) has been confirmed yet, but is likely.

I said ideal, not what I predicted would actually happen.

dcvalpo

Quote from: IrishDawg on May 21, 2011, 10:46:12 PM
Quote from: dcvalpo on May 21, 2011, 10:32:00 PM

Is Oprah coming?!?!?!?!   ;)

It would be great if it were something similar to getting Purdue to come last season as part of the 2 for 1 deal.

You're cold on this one

valpotx

ND coming to the ARC maybe?  They will still have Martin I believe
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on May 23, 2011, 02:21:45 AM
ND coming to the ARC maybe?  They will still have Martin I believe

Mike Brey would have to get an army to hold back Digger Phelps from his doorstep if ND would schedule Valpo in a gym with seating capacity below 10,000. Phelps will have "The Irish will never play at Valpo again!" written on his tombstone. Truly Digger will be forever tarnished by his loss at Valpo because it still haunts him deeply. 

agibson

For the Valpo Thanksgiving rumor, I figure we're hosting a tournament?

agibson

If memory serves, we played the game(s) at their place.  It was our home game that never happened.

dcvalpo

8) Sorry, got to play this one cool for the moment until my guy gives me the go-ahead to let the cat out of the bag.  But you guys are warming up.