• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA 2016

Started by agibson, March 13, 2016, 04:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

For general NCAA 2016 discussion, if people want to move such discussion here.

agibson

So South Dakota State does get the 12. Not shocking, but I'll sure be disappointed if they win. How many times has the Summit/Midcon ever had a 12 seed?

agibson

The Buffalo _Bulls_? Hm... welcome to the national spotlight.

agibson

Oregon State a 7. Respect.

Hey, we beat a 7 seed. On the road.

Kyle321n

So far I've hit the spread betting on the first 7 games and English may have just cost Iona a cover by getting a T for yelling at ISU's coach... Terrible.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

justducky

70- 64 Yale leading Baylor with 1:58 remaining.

VULB#62

79-75 Yale. Up to Bryce to uphold the family honor.

rogerwilco

Baylor Baylor'd again.

vu72

two years in a row for first round losses.  Could the Baylor faithful be a little upset?  Pretty sure Scott is safe but i thought the same for Donlon.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpolaw

Is it just me or does anyone else feel as though Scott and Bryce have a difficult time getting their teams to show up in big games?  I know the players play the game, but it consistently seems like both of their teams lack that mentality to show up in big games and get motivated. 

VUfan

Scott should Check out that WSU opening!! would Homer approve????  ;D

nkvu

Don't mean to threadjack but check out the KY Stonybrook game. Some of the worst shooting I've ever seen. Reminds me of a 50's game. 16 to 10 with 7 min to go in the first half.

Kyle321n

Dayton taking it on the chin against Syracuse.  That ain't good for anyone. And causes me to lose another bet...

Yesterday I went 7-8-1 (Kansas pushed the spread and they canceled the bet) after a 4-0 first four.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

Smj

My prediction for the uw-green Bay game is a double-digit loss I hope they do well but I just don't think they'll be able to compete with Texas A&M

Go Valpo!

swiftmutiny

Wow, Michigan State just got upset by Middle Tennessee State. I think I can safely say RIP everyone's bracket.

Smj

Quote from: swiftmutiny on March 18, 2016, 04:14:59 PM
Wow, Michigan State just got upset by Middle Tennessee State. I think I can safely say RIP everyone's bracket.
That is a historic upset. ...   (I know other 15-2 match ups have ended in upset but this is a pretty big one)

Go Valpo!

VULB#62

All four wheels are coming off the GB bus vs. TAM   66-45 with a little over 9 minutes to go.  :(

Doesn't make the Horizon look too good.

gamelord

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 18, 2016, 08:02:28 PM
All four wheels are coming off the GB bus vs. TAM   66-45 with a little over 9 minutes to go.  :(

Doesn't make the Horizon look too good.

I'm glad. Hope they lose by 40+. I know that Lacrone will say it was still a success. I also hope that if Valpo wins the NIT that the rest of the league gets nothing in return.

oklahomamick

Quote from: gamelord on March 18, 2016, 08:07:21 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on March 18, 2016, 08:02:28 PMAll four wheels are coming off the GB bus vs. TAM   66-45 with a little over 9 minutes to go.  :( Doesn't make the Horizon look too good.
I'm glad. Hope they lose by 40+. I know that Lacrone will say it was still a success. I also hope that if Valpo wins the NIT that the rest of the league gets nothing in return.

14 seed for UWGB was very generous.  Sports Nation had an article where they ranked each tourney team and there were only 5 worse than Green Bay.   
CRUSADERS!!!

Smj

My mother told me "if I can't say something nice. ...."

However she won't read this so here goes:

Sorry to GB but they should not have ended up in the tournament - it was a fluke and this was NOT a success for the Horizon League.  Other teams would have been better with 10-11 seed for Valpo, 12-13 for Oakland ....   Lacrone did not setup a situation to help the league.

Go Valpo!

VULB#62

Both benches cleared with 3 minutes to go.  This is the dark side of mid majors getting into the NCAAT  :(  Gives the Power 5 more leverage, despite the MTSU, Yale and other wins. 

Watching the game on a real TV instead of my laptop I could not get past the images of a bunch of skilled men (TAM) playing with a bunch of kids (Guess who?). 

We need to fine tune our groveling techniques and supplication skills and beg the MVC to take us out of this torture applied by the HL.  Bryce has built a formidable program.  If we advance to MSG, when we recruit, we can legitimately tell recruits we need you to get us to a 9-10 seed in the NCAAs despite the anchor that is shackled to us by our league (this is especially true next year with the firing of Jeter and Donlon -- both programs headed into "transition").

I think Valpo has now reached the level where we are in the conversation with Gonzaga, Wichita State and NIU. 

Valpo Administration:  Please see the writing on the wall and do everything in your power (i.e., invest the $$$) to make Valpo MBB attractive to potential recruits, VU students, the community, a better conference, and the rest of the basketball world.  And please do it NOW. Next year we will have another good team.  If feet are dragged, the momentum of what was achieved this year will dissipate.  Don't reprise the post-1998 approach, go for it!

CARPE (Foxtrot) DIEM

valpopal

So much for LeCrone's spin that the upset of Valparaiso displayed the strength of the Horizon League. No offense to Green Bay but this was an embarrassment for the HL, and the score diminishes the Horizon League in the eyes of viewers, whose opinions of the conference will be lessened, impacting seeding of HL teams in next year's tourney.

On another note, I am enjoying the many upsets of teams from the bigger conferences whose positions in the NCAA Tourney were bloated and overrated. Teams that refused to play mid-majors or true road games are being exposed, and that should be an embarrassment for the NCAA.

gamelord

Quote from: valpopal on March 18, 2016, 09:08:19 PM
So much for LeCrone's spin that the upset of Valparaiso displayed the strength of the Horizon League. No offense to Green Bay but this was an embarrassment for the HL, and the score diminishes the Horizon League in the eyes of viewers, whose opinions of the conference will be lessened, impacting seeding of HL teams in next year's tourney.

On another note, I am enjoying the many upsets of teams from the bigger conferences whose positions in the NCAA Tourney were bloated and overrated. Teams that refused to play mid-majors or true road games are being exposed, and that should be an embarrassment for the NCAA.

Your statements are so true. We could go 28-0 next year, have an RPI of 20 and end up being a 15 seed. Thanks Mr. Lacrone

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 18, 2016, 08:55:45 PM
Both benches cleared with 3 minutes to go.  This is the dark side of mid majors getting into the NCAAT  :(  Gives the Power 5 more leverage, despite the MTSU, Yale and other wins. 

Watching the game on a real TV instead of my laptop I could not get past the images of a bunch of skilled men (TAM) playing with a bunch of kids (Guess who?). 

We need to fine tune our groveling techniques and supplication skills and beg the MVC to take us out of this torture applied by the HL.  Bryce has built a formidable program.  If we advance to MSG, when we recruit, we can legitimately tell recruits we need you to get us to a 9-10 seed in the NCAAs despite the anchor that is shackled to us by our league (this is especially true next year with the firing of Jeter and Donlon -- both programs headed into "transition").

I think Valpo has now reached the level where we are in the conversation with Gonzaga, Wichita State and NIU. 

Valpo Administration:  Please see the writing on the wall and do everything in your power (i.e., invest the $$$) to make Valpo MBB attractive to potential recruits, VU students, the community, a better conference, and the rest of the basketball world.  And please do it NOW. Next year we will have another good team.  If feet are dragged, the momentum of what was achieved this year will dissipate.  Don't reprise the post-1998 approach, go for it!

CARPE (Foxtrot) DIEM

This is an excellent appeal. It might be good to turn this into a message board petition and we should all sign on to it with an "I agree" post or other comments. Then make ml aware of it. Just a thought.

justducky

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 18, 2016, 08:55:45 PMWe need to fine tune our groveling techniques and supplication skills and beg the MVC to take us out of this torture applied by the HL. 
My background never taught me how to do these things so I'll just watch you white collar folks until I pick up some of the fundamentals.  ;)