• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA 2016

Started by agibson, March 13, 2016, 04:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atkins

I think we should ask the Pac 10 to let us in.  We matched up well against Oregon and obviously beat Oregon State.  The other highly seeded Pac 10 teams (except for Utah and Oregon) have been pitiful in the tourney.  Would've been nice to see a Valpo instead of the FIVE Pac 10 teams that are one-and-done. 

Valpo in the Pac 10.....Pac 11?  We could really help that conference!

agibson

Quote from: atkins on March 18, 2016, 09:50:11 PMValpo in the Pac 10.....Pac 11?  We could really help that conference!

Pac 13?

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 18, 2016, 08:55:45 PMValpo Administration:  Please see the writing on the wall and do everything in your power (i.e., invest the $$$) to make Valpo MBB attractive to potential recruits, VU students, the community, a better conference, and the rest of the basketball world.  And please do it NOW.

Got $10M to spare? Got 10k friends with $1k each to spare?

Saying the obvious, maybe, but unlees a targeted funding source comes along, it's always going to be "spend this big chunk of money on athletics instead of on...". What should we leave behind, what should we not do? And how?

wh

Quote from: agibson on March 18, 2016, 10:01:31 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on March 18, 2016, 08:55:45 PMValpo Administration:  Please see the writing on the wall and do everything in your power (i.e., invest the $$$) to make Valpo MBB attractive to potential recruits, VU students, the community, a better conference, and the rest of the basketball world.  And please do it NOW.

Got $10M to spare? Got 10k friends with $1k each to spare?

Saying the obvious, maybe, but unlees a targeted funding source comes along, it's always going to be "spend this big chunk of money on athletics instead of on...". What should we leave behind, what should we not do? And how?

No offense, but I think I would rather hear from ml. Your responses on the topic never offer a glimmer of hope (short of someone winning the lottery).

a3uge

Quote from: valpopal on March 18, 2016, 09:08:19 PM
So much for LeCrone's spin that the upset of Valparaiso displayed the strength of the Horizon League. No offense to Green Bay but this was an embarrassment for the HL, and the score diminishes the Horizon League in the eyes of viewers, whose opinions of the conference will be lessened, impacting seeding of HL teams in next year's tourney.

Fortunately, this isn't how the selection committee works. Detroit got a 15 seed in 2012, the year after back to back finals contestants came from the Horizon.

I do worry about the loss of the recruiting advantage the Horizon had from all of their tournament wins. This is the 5th straight year without a tournament win. This league has had NBA-level talent (more compared to most other mid major leagues) and a couple of top mid major teams (uwgbs Sykes/brown team and this year's Valpo team), but haven't had a great chance to win games in the dance. Last year was the closest the league came to a win since Butler.

gamelord

Sadly, we're not going to be able to move to another league until the ARC gets expanded. Any funds should be used for that purpose first.

valpopal

Quote from: a3uge on March 18, 2016, 10:30:21 PM

So much for LeCrone's spin that the upset of Valparaiso displayed the strength of the Horizon League. No offense to Green Bay but this was an embarrassment for the HL, and the score diminishes the Horizon League in the eyes of viewers, whose opinions of the conference will be lessened, impacting seeding of HL teams in next year's tourney.

Fortunately, this isn't how the selection committee works. Detroit got a 15 seed in 2012, the year after back to back finals contestants came from the Horizon.

I do worry about the loss of the recruiting advantage the Horizon had from all of their tournament wins. This is the 5th straight year without a tournament win. This league has had NBA-level talent (more compared to most other mid major leagues) and a couple of top mid major teams (uwgbs Sykes/brown team and this year's Valpo team), but haven't had a great chance to win games in the dance. Last year was the closest the league came to a win since Butler.

I had no problem with Detroit's #15 seeding. Like Green Bay, they were a third place team with a somewhat mediocre season record. I did have a problem with Valpo's #13 seeding last year (seeded #51 overall by the NCAA) with a 28-5 record, a conference regular season championship, and a conference tournament championship. A higher seeding last year and Valpo might very well have an NCAA Tourney win. I also had a problem with this year being left out of the Dance because the RPI was brought down by the HL overall RPI.

usc4valpo

I think it is time the board finally gives credit to SFA. Yes, the Southland Conference is weaker than the Horizon. Yes, it is a school in the middle of nowhere (Naca-nowhere). But these guys have played great in the past few years and have done very well in the tournament. Underwood has done a truly amazing job coaching low end recruits and making them a cohesive effective team. Through Bryce has done well as a coach, Underwood has been more impressive.  Give the Jacks credit for building a great basketball program.

valpotx

Underwood will end up at TCU, so my worry about Bryce going there is relaxed.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

I wpuld think there will be many at Brad Underwood. Kansas State may be a likely choice.

I think Bryce Drew is staying at Valpo for now. Stanford is an intriguing job however.

frontrowfan

Quote from: valpopal on March 18, 2016, 10:58:18 PM
Quote from: a3uge on March 18, 2016, 10:30:21 PM

So much for LeCrone's spin that the upset of Valparaiso displayed the strength of the Horizon League. No offense to Green Bay but this was an embarrassment for the HL, and the score diminishes the Horizon League in the eyes of viewers, whose opinions of the conference will be lessened, impacting seeding of HL teams in next year's tourney. .
. Let's approach a little more realistically.  I don't see us moving from the HL next year or the year after but ...more TV exposure is critical.  I appreciate the opportunity to stream the few away games the "four on the floor" we travel with can't get to but the vast majority of fans either cannot or don't know how to stream.  As much as a anything, the kids want the exposure and the chance for their family and friends see them play.   The conundrum is that it is hard to get TV exposure without playing big time teams and harder to schedule games (even on their floor) with big time teams

I had no problem with Detroit's #15 seeding. Like Green Bay, they were a third place team with a somewhat mediocre season record. I did have a problem with Valpo's #13 seeding last year (seeded #51 overall by the NCAA) with a 28-5 record, a conference regular season championship, and a conference tournament championship. A higher seeding last year and Valpo might very well have an NCAA Tourney win. I also had a problem with this year being left out of the Dance because the RPI was brought down by the HL overall RPI.

oklahomamick

Quote from: gamelord on March 18, 2016, 10:30:47 PMSadly, we're not going to be able to move to another league until the ARC gets expanded. Any funds should be used for that purpose first.

I don't think expanding the ARC will us a seat at the MVC or leave us out.  Making it larger and then having empty seats is not going to attract anyone.  Possibly updating it will. 

Valpo's fan forum has a lot great, consistent and intelligent (bball & general) posters.  When comparing it to other HL blogs we have more participation.  There is a topic of the MVC forum on what their next move  is.  I encourage us to check it out and get to know the MVC fan's thoughts.  And course put our  :twocents: in about Valpo.
CRUSADERS!!!

vu84v2

Lots of different thoughts in this thread:

Brad Underwood's next job is an interesting situation. I think that Kansas State will give Weber another year and that the K-State job (at least for now) is the dream job for Underwood. He is not going to go to TCU or Oklahoma State and then switch to K-State. K-State either dismisses Weber now and gets Underwood or Underwood goes someplace outside of the Big 12. His team did a great job yesterday and knocked out West Virginia. Having a quality PG that has an outstanding game always helps.

While I do think that the MVC is a better conference for Valpo than the Horizon, consider that the MVC only would have gotten one team if UNI had not upset Wichita State in the conference tournament and, in that case, Wichita State only got the play-in game. They have played great in the tournament, but did not get placements that high above the Horizon. Wichita State was not treated with much respect by only getting a play-in game.

So we are back to the facilities discussion. I cannot help but see that these discussions look like what happens in poor government - people wanting to spend lots of other peoples' money. If someone really wanted a new stadium (and improving other athletic facilities to the MVC standard), write a business plan that does not have overly optimistic outcomes or low returns for the first 3 to 5 years.

oklahomamick

On the girls side of the NCAA tourney, Robert Morris only scored 4 first half points against Uconn.  :o
CRUSADERS!!!

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 18, 2016, 08:55:45 PMValpo Administration:  Please see the writing on the wall and do everything in your power (i.e., invest the $$$) to make Valpo MBB attractive to potential recruits, VU students, the community, a better conference, and the rest of the basketball world.  And please do it NOW. Next year we will have another good team.  If feet are dragged, the momentum of what was achieved this year will dissipate.  Don't reprise the post-1998 approach, go for it!

CARPE (Foxtrot) DIEM

I'm afraid that you are just wasting your breath. If it didn't happen when Bryce made "the shot" it's not going to happen now. The VU administration is going to waste all the talent and loyalty that came to them in the Drew Family.

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on March 18, 2016, 09:46:33 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on March 18, 2016, 08:55:45 PMWe need to fine tune our groveling techniques and supplication skills and beg the MVC to take us out of this torture applied by the HL.
My background never taught me how to do these things so I'll just watch you white collar folks until I pick up some of the fundamentals.  ;)

Here's a very good example.

"Yes, Mr Trump. We will vote for you. You are the one to 'make America great again.'"   ;)

agibson

Quote from: wh on March 18, 2016, 10:29:10 PMNo offense, but I think I would rather hear from ml. Your responses on the topic never offer a glimmer of hope (short of someone winning the lottery).

Fair enough!

And, I hope it's obvious, anything I'm saying is just from a fan's perspective, and in now way represents university policy or official priorities.

People should absolutely take these issues up with the Athletic Department,  the President's office, etc.

Even from my perspective, -some- sort of "facilities upgrade" or "financial investment to take Valpo BB/athletics" could, maybe must, have some place, it's just challenging for me to see exactly what that place is, among the many priorities of an institution of higher education.

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on March 19, 2016, 10:56:10 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on March 18, 2016, 08:55:45 PMValpo Administration:  Please see the writing on the wall and do everything in your power (i.e., invest the $$$) to make Valpo MBB attractive to potential recruits, VU students, the community, a better conference, and the rest of the basketball world.  And please do it NOW. Next year we will have another good team.  If feet are dragged, the momentum of what was achieved this year will dissipate.  Don't reprise the post-1998 approach, go for it!

CARPE (Foxtrot) DIEM

I'm afraid that you are just wasting your breath. If it didn't happen when Bryce made "the shot" it's not going to happen now. The VU administration is going to waste all the talent and loyalty that came to them in the Drew Family.

Completely different team managing the institution.  Mark Heckler is NOT Alan Harre.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusadermoe

That's what I hear.    He is an actor and should understand the emotional impact of drama and publicity of same.   Perhaps the is presdient understands what reasonable  alumni know.   Valpo is far more widely known initially and casually for basketball.  Not science or engineering or law or music.  They are excellent, but they only penetrate after a student and parents look up VU seriouisly. 

I concur with many on the board that new facilities like game arena are needed.  Since realistically, they won't happen long-term, you at least have a chance ot leverage Bryce's familiar face, integrity, and famous "shot"  to increase enrollment.  The shot still rollls through tourney ads. 

Perhaps try this idea?   Do a massive publicity blitz to HS juniors during March and April leveraging the NCAA images and the well-rounded players and VU students.   Then hit the HS seniors each year in late January when the "Dance" promotion picks up and Seniors are in prime decision mode.  I like the NIT for us this year and we are all focused on it.   Butfor marketing a a name,  it doesn't fixate the nation for a week on the bracket schools like the NCAA big dance.

Congrats to AD and university for a fantastic looking Fla-State home game although the tourney kids seem to have caused it.   Can they turn out the real students and townies en masse in the NIT quarer-finals home game that sends us to MSG for a Final Four?    If not, do we really deserve or have a wise step in building a larger arena?

atkins

Watching the VA/Butler game, and I am impressed by Butler.  The guys on that team are not more talented than our guys, but they seem to be tournament-tough every year.  It's not just Dunham and Jones.  What is their secret?  Our assistant coaches should go study whatever game planning their coaching staff is doing and copy it. Obviously, they are getting it right. 

vu72

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 19, 2016, 03:37:25 PM
That's what I hear.    He is an actor and should understand the emotional impact of drama and publicity of same.   Perhaps the is presdient understands what reasonable  alumni know.   Valpo is far more widely known initially and casually for basketball.  Not science or engineering or law or music.  They are excellent, but they only penetrate after a student and parents look up VU seriouisly. 

I concur with many on the board that new facilities like game arena are needed.  Since realistically, they won't happen long-term, you at least have a chance ot leverage Bryce's familiar face, integrity, and famous "shot"  to increase enrollment.  The shot still rollls through tourney ads. 

Perhaps try this idea?   Do a massive publicity blitz to HS juniors during March and April leveraging the NCAA images and the well-rounded players and VU students.   Then hit the HS seniors each year in late January when the "Dance" promotion picks up and Seniors are in prime decision mode.  I like the NIT for us this year and we are all focused on it.   Butfor marketing a a name,  it doesn't fixate the nation for a week on the bracket schools like the NCAA big dance.

Congrats to AD and university for a fantastic looking Fla-State home game although the tourney kids seem to have caused it.   Can they turn out the real students and townies en masse in the NIT quarer-finals home game that sends us to MSG for a Final Four?    If not, do we really deserve or have a wise step in building a larger arena?

Take a look at the ticket site. Their selling 30 every half hour and we still have three days till game time. Section CC is selling tickets five rows from the top. It will be a sellout.
The NIT has been terrific for Valpo as it has brought attention from the locals with name opponents coming to town. I honestly think it us better for the program than Butler, who won a game and now is done.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Quote from: atkins on March 18, 2016, 09:50:11 PM
I think we should ask the Pac 10 to let us in.  We matched up well against Oregon and obviously beat Oregon State.  The other highly seeded Pac 10 teams (except for Utah and Oregon) have been pitiful in the tourney.  Would've been nice to see a Valpo instead of the FIVE Pac 10 teams that are one-and-done. 

Ok I had a feeling this discussion would come up. The pac 12 has certainly underachieved in this tournament but for overall championships no conference comes close. Utah looked pathetic and I think Duckzilla will be out before reaching the elite 8.

Go SFA!!!

VUfan

Quote from: atkins on March 18, 2016, 09:50:11 PM

Pac 13?

Maybe we could to Count!!  ;D

vu84v2

Quote from: bsmith21 on March 19, 2016, 10:08:14 AM
Kansas and Kansas St. still won't schedule Wichita st.(even after a run to the final 4) Butler only got a seat at the big boys table after 2 national runner ups and several successful tournament stints.

Kansas won't schedule Wichita State because (1) Wichita State wants a home and home and Kansas only does one of those at a time and not against a mid-major, (2) Wichita State would likely not agree to Kansas' 'neutral court since that would be the Sprint Center in Kansas City (an extended home game for Kansas), (3) Kansas has an inherent recruiting advantage in the area and would not want to risk it by losing to Wichita State (which could certainly happen at Wichita).

Kansas has the power and wealth to schedule as they want and they do. People talk about KU playing Missouri...it will not happen anytime soon. KU to their credit does bring in good mid-majors, but never gives them a home and home or 2 for 1.

I agree with the sentiments of Mark Adams during the NIT broadcasts. There should be some requirement that the big conference teams need to play the mid-majors and some of these need to be at the mid-majors' homes. Unfortunately, it will never happen given who holds all the power.

historyman

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 20, 2016, 01:15:35 PMKansas only does one of those at a time and not against a mid-major,

How many other sports and organizations would say this is totally unacceptable? Why does the NCAA allow it. One word: GREED!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann