• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bracketology

Started by oklahomamick, November 04, 2016, 12:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

I, on the other hand, would be happy to play UCLA... because there's only one way for that to happen!

VUSWIM08-12

I like to look at  bracketmatrix.com...we were at the 12/13 line until the last two losses...now we are on the 13/14 line...wish we could move up to an 11 and face St. Mary's again hahaha...not gonna happen but a 12 seed is not out of the question!

vu84v2

Need to win the conference tournament before having these discussions in earnest.

bbtds

Quote from: vu84v2 on February 21, 2017, 12:39:41 PM
Need to win the conference tournament before having these discussions in earnest.

Much like making plans for your political office before winning the election.

VU2014

Joe Lunardi has Valpo as a 14 seed playing Butler (3 seed) in the first round in Milwaukee.

I don't like being a 14 seed but that would be a fun match up playing Butler and it would be in Milwaukee so the travel wouldn't be hard on fans. I'm hoping if we make it to the big dance that we play somewhere relatively close by like Milwaukee.

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/834781951944949760

oklahomamick

Wow, if we are a #14 seed with a top 100 rpi, I suspect any other HL team would be a 15 or possibly 16 seed? 
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

USAToday bracket today has us at #13 vs. #4 Kentucky in MKE.

VU2014

QuoteWow, if we are a #14 seed with a top 100 rpi, I suspect any other HL team would be a 15 or possibly 16 seed?

Yeah I think we should be a #13 seed if we make it, but I suspect the none competitive games vs Oakland where we just looked flat and the that terrible game vs Green Bay where they ran us out of the building. Those games have an impact on seeding optics.

M

Well we definitely can't play Kentucky in that first game  :crazy:

zvillehaze

Quote from: M on February 23, 2017, 02:02:12 PM
Well we definitely can't play Kentucky in that first game  :crazy:

Correct.  CBS Sports (Palm) and NBC Sports both showing a 4-13 matchup between Butler and Valpo in Milwaukee. 

Here's my way-too-early bracket thoughts:

Unless Louisville or Kentucky stumble, they'll both end up in Indy.  ND/Purdue/Wisky/Butler are popular choices for 4 or 5 seeds, playing in Milwaukee.  If Valpo ends up as a 12 or 13 seed, odds are they'll be in Milwaukee too.   :twocents:

VU2014

I've been noticing Oakland fans getting really annoyed that they aren't getting enough national pub from the national media guys lately.

https://twitter.com/Austinthedunker/status/835549383135543297
https://twitter.com/ESPNLunardi/status/835557388019253248

valpotx

Excellent reply by Lunardi, and what a stupid question by the Oakland fan...
"Don't mess with Texas"

elephtheria47

We just gotta do the damm thing and let the chips fall where they will. Have to make sure we take care of business today. The 12/13/14 spots depend on how many of the smaller conferences have upsets in their tourneys. Hopefully we will have a week to debate our position.

valpolaw

The Bracketology released today has Oakland in as a 15 seed playing Kentucky.

VU2014

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/836241648426303488

15 seed is a joke for either Oakland or Valpo. If it were NKU you could even make a decent case for 14 seed.

EddieCabot

Quote from: valpolaw on February 27, 2017, 11:22:07 AM
The Bracketology released today has Oakland in as a 15 seed playing Kentucky.

15 seed vs UK?  If this happens, chalk up another one-and-done NCAA for the Horizon.  Another reason LeCrone should be doing everything possible to have the league's best team (Valpo) representing the league. 

valpo4life

Also worth acknowledging that Bryce has Vandy as the last team in as a part of the newest Lunardi Bracketology. Easy to see why you'd want to coach at a power conference school, 16-13 and a legitimate shot at the tourney. Two big games this week with Kentucky and Florida. I know I'll be watching and cheering him on.

valpotx

I have to think that Oakland and Valpo would be a 14, while NKU would be a 15.
"Don't mess with Texas"

M

It's a little ridiculous that they have Oakland that low.  There can't be just a few teams that make the tournament that are worse than Oakland (or us or NKU or GB).

valpolaw

I'm not surprised Oakland is that low.  Oakland's only decent wins are Georgia and Valpo.  What am I missing?

usc4valpo

Valpo or Oakland will be a 14 seed and no higher.

bigmosmithfan1

Two double-digit wins over a Top 75 team (Valpo) is better than what a lot of teams in front of them have done, and that doesn't include the win over Georgia (currently a bubble team). Also went to the wire with Nevada (23-6 and 1st place in the Mountain West), 2-0 vs. the MAC, dominated likely Big West champ.

Don't kid yourself. Oakland would RUN any team currently on the 14 line, and everyone except maybe Vermont on the 13 line. Grizz are good.

valpolaw

Georgia isn't good.  Valpo arguably had two of their worst games against Oakland, and Tevonn got ejected on a completely bogus call.  I'm still waiting to hear what you find so appealing about Oakland.  Other than beating Valpo twice, I'm not sure what you see. 

http://bracketmatrix.com/

This website averages the seeds of the various projected brackets.  It has valpo averaged as a 13.37 seed and Oakland averaged as a 14.8 seed.   

a3uge

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on February 27, 2017, 03:05:14 PM
Two double-digit wins over a Top 75 team (Valpo) is better than what a lot of teams in front of them have done, and that doesn't include the win over Georgia (currently a bubble team). Also went to the wire with Nevada (23-6 and 1st place in the Mountain West), 2-0 vs. the MAC, dominated likely Big West champ.

Don't kid yourself. Oakland would RUN any team currently on the 14 line, and everyone except maybe Vermont on the 13 line. Grizz are good.
They also lost to Detroit and Cleveland State at home. Detroit had ONE out of conference win. The selection committee pretty much goes by geography and RPI when it comes to the auto-bids and Oakland is still above 100.

VU2014

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18807397/tickets-sales-drive-tourney-seeding

Mick Cronin: Ticket sales drive NCAA tourney seeding

By: C.L. Brown (ESPN Staff Writer)

Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin said ticket sales, not wins or losses, are primarily behind how teams get seeded in the NCAA tournament.

Joe Lunardi predicts in his latest Bracketology that Cincinnati (25-4) will be a No. 5 seed and headed to Buffalo for first- and second-round games. The Bearcats are unlikely to be seeded high enough to make a relatively short trip to a host site in Indianapolis.

"I'm a firm believer in that the NCAA tournament committee and everything is so financially driven that no matter what is said on that [Selection] Sunday, they're trying to sell tickets," Cronin said while speaking to a group of local reporters on Wednesday.

"You may get moved on a seed line. And it may not be us, but teams could get moved around from 4 to a 5 or a 8-9 to a 7-10 to get that pod to sell more tickets. Now nobody will admit that, because it's all about the student-athletes -- supposedly. But it's a business. If it wasn't a business we'd be able to have a bus trip in the conference we played in."

The NCAA went to a pod system in 2002 that allows the top four seeds to play at the closest site possible, regardless of the seed's tournament region.

Not everyone would agree with Cronin that ticket sales drive seeding. The bulk of the NCAA windfall, which is shared with conferences, comes from television deals, not ticket sales. The March Madness TV deal brings in an average of $785 million per year through 2024 and $1.1 billion annually for the eight years after that.

Cronin, however, doesn't want people to think that the seeding process is devoid of outside influences.

"Anybody who doesn't think this is a business is wrong, living in a fantasy land," Cronin said. "That's why I tell you, you can sit there and think, 'Well, we won this game, we'll move up.' You can move up, but then you can end up playing a tougher team [because] the seedings were wrong. You really just have to worry about coaching your team. The rest is a waste of time."