• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #8 - #21/#25 Rhode Island Tuesday Nov 29 7pm in the ARC

Started by talksalot, November 27, 2016, 04:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUBBFan

Quote from: walldozer on November 28, 2016, 01:25:29 PMSorry to hijack the thread, but are the seats in section F right behind the team and near where the Crusaderettes and cheerleaders are?
Section F are chairbacks, next to the student section on the other side of the court from the visitors bench and somewhat behind and to the side of the basket.

valpo4life

Quote from: crusaderjoe on November 28, 2016, 07:51:30 AM
We haven't beaten a ranked team at home in 28 years.  To be fair, there haven't been that many opportunities, but it's been 28 years nonetheless.  I think the URI fan is right about our lack of depth generally.  If no one steps up and we get very little quality minutes from the bench, it's going to be a long night, and you can look for that near three decade streak to continue.

Draw contact, go to the line, hit free throws.  Draw contact, go to the line, hit free throws.  Draw contact, go to the line, hit free throws.

This is a good strategy comment, as we're 9th in the nation in free throw percentage at 81% on 184 attempts (26 per game, 13th highest in the nation). None of the 8 teams above us have shot more than 127 on the season. Also, foul trouble may just be the defining factor of this game. I know we don't have the best depth currently as the new guys are still developing, but it's not like Rhode Island has amazing depth either. They have a good starting five, pretty solid sixth man (IU transfer), but after that it's nothing overly special. Another factor will be Jubril's shooting ability for the night, if he's hitting shots from the perimeter then Martin (averaging 4.5 blocks per game) hopefully plays further away from the rim than he'd like to. Maybe even play Alec at the 5 for a couple minutes, play zone on defense, and create mismatches on offense.

justducky

Quote from: Baylorfan24 on November 28, 2016, 01:14:28 PMBig game tomorrow! We need a big crowd
That we do! So now that Scott no longer has an excuse how long will it take to get Baylor into the ARC?  :thumbsup:

Valpower

Quote from: atkins on November 27, 2016, 08:39:08 PMThe braggart from the URI board made several solid (albeit discourteous) points.  I disagree with his statement regarding the "announcers," and I question whether URI will "will win handily."  If Valpo plays its typical lackluster home game like the others this season, URI will indeed win handily.  My hope is that we (finally) play a quality first half.  If we had played URI instead of Ball State today, we would have been blown out by 20+.
But, but...the "announcers" ARE homers.  Where's the insult in that?  I don't think some people have grasped what ESPN3 is.

As for having a strong first half, I'll say I'm somewhat resigned to the fact that until we get more consistent offensive contributions from Derrik and Jaume, we'll struggle while the opponent focuses on Alec.  It's worked out fairly well so far because Alec is so good at getting the opposition in foul trouble (while staying out of it himself) that he can then come on strong in the second half.  I hope the bigs continue to get the chance to develop, even at some risk of losing an OOC game.  I'm excited about this strong start, but I'm more interested in continual development leading to peaking at the right moment.

Also, Valpo hasn't proven themselves good at building on and maintaining a lead.  Against Ball State, every time they went on a small run you could see they're offensive mindset change (a giddiness, if you will) that resulted in poor, hurried shot selection.

wh

Based on the amount of zone being played against us thus far, it's obvious that the word on the street (and accurately so) is that we are far more effective against man. Hopefully, URI is quick, athletic and confident enough to ignore the scouting reports and play us straight up man. What I wouldn't give to see some open driving lanes for Shane and Tevonn, and Alec posting up 1 guy instead of 2. 

vu72

I'm, feeling a lot better after just checking the box score of the Rhody/Belmont game, which was won by RI, at RI, by 9 points.  Here's why:  Evan Bradds DID NOT PLAY (concussion) for Belmont.  He is a complete stud and is to Belmont what Alec is to us. Last year, at Belmont against us, he went for 26 points and 10 boards. Bradds is averaging 20.7 points and 8.3 boards.  Funny how the RI poster didn't mention that...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

I'm seeing Rhode Island favored by 2.5 or 3.5 points. We could certainly do this.

Valpower

Quote from: agibson on November 28, 2016, 04:04:27 PM
I'm seeing Rhode Island favored by 2.5 or 3.5 points. We could certainly do this.
Well, we've done it 3 out of 4 times; each time, I'm sure, possessing "less" talent.

VUfan

the team continues to grow, good guard play, strong team defense VU 75 RIU 72    a good month!!  ;D

talksalot

Quote from: talksalot on November 27, 2016, 04:42:22 PMI'll update the rankings on URI after the polls come out on Monday

URI up to #21 in this weeks AP poll... no Valpo votes... yet.

Pgmado

Quote from: talksalot on November 28, 2016, 09:44:23 PM
Quote from: talksalot on November 27, 2016, 04:42:22 PMI'll update the rankings on URI after the polls come out on Monday

Valpo got smoked by Oregon which was without best player. I highly doubt Valpo will be getting votes for a while.

agibson

Quote from: bsmith21 on November 28, 2016, 10:58:40 PMAgreed. The only change to the top 25 with a Valpo win will be that Rhode Island will no longer be on it.

We're not going to crack the Top 25 with one win. But, I'll be surprised if we beat Rhode Island and don't pick up at least a few votes.

a3uge

Quote from: agibson on November 29, 2016, 09:09:08 AM
Quote from: bsmith21 on November 28, 2016, 10:58:40 PMAgreed. The only change to the top 25 with a Valpo win will be that Rhode Island will no longer be on it.

We're not going to crack the Top 25 with one win. But, I'll be surprised if we beat Rhode Island and don't pick up at least a few votes.
Yeah, Seth Davis already had Valpo in the "almost famous" category. He loves Valpo for whatever reason, so I can see him giving a few votes.

vu72

Quote from: Pgmado on November 28, 2016, 10:35:56 PM
Quote from: talksalot on November 28, 2016, 09:44:23 PM

Valpo got smoked by Oregon which was without best player. I highly doubt Valpo will be getting votes for a while.

Would have helped us if their "best player" had played.  He was outstanding against a mighty Boise State team last night, going 1 for 9 for 5 points, 3 boards, 1 asst and 4 TOs.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

vu72

Unless there is a HUGE walk-up crowd it is not going to be a very impressive turnout.  As of now there are still 174 seats available in the lower sections and maybe 200 sold upstairs.  :(

vu84v2

Quote from: agibson on November 29, 2016, 10:18:53 AM
[tweet]803462134692716544[/tweet]

I seem to remember South Carolina in the first game of the 1998-1999 season being ranked in the UPI poll. This was the game in the RCA Dome where Valpo played opposite Indiana.

wh

Quote from: vu72 on November 29, 2016, 10:25:30 AM
Unless there is a HUGE walk-up crowd it is not going to be a very impressive turnout.  As of now there are still 174 seats available in the lower sections and maybe 200 sold upstairs.  :(

I finally came to the conclusion last season that there are 3 things that are essentially carved in stone, and thus represent a complete waste of time to further discuss, debate, criticize, or defend:
---the men's basketball program marketing effort (or lack thereof) - it is what it is and it isn't going to change.
---the need to remodel/revamp the ARC - not going to happen in the next 10 years - it is what it is and it isn't going to change.
---the continuing relative decline of the HL and what it needs to do to elevate its profile and standing among the spectrum of D-1 conferences.  The conference simply does not have the visionary leadership nor the necessary level of commitment from its member programs to pull out of this tailspin. There is absolutely no reason for hope here, short of a new commissioner and several new AD's (especially P.C. female AD appointments, all of whom are in over their heads and all of  whom have conflicting gender-based agendas.

VUfan

Quote from: wh on November 29, 2016, 12:15:36 PM
Quote from: vu72 on November 29, 2016, 10:25:30 AM

I finally came to the conclusion last season that there are 3 things that are essentially carved in stone, and thus represent a complete waste of time to further discuss, debate, criticize, or defend:
---the men's basketball program marketing effort (or lack thereof) - it is what it is and it isn't going to change.
---the need to remodel/revamp the ARC - not going to happen in the next 10 years - it is what it is and it isn't going to change.
---the continuing relative decline of the HL and what it needs to do to elevate its profile and standing among the spectrum of D-1 conferences.  The conference simply does not have the visionary leadership nor the necessary level of commitment from its member programs to pull out of this tailspin. There is absolutely no reason for hope here, short of a new commissioner and several new AD's (especially P.C. female AD appointments, all of whom are in over their heads and all of  whom have conflicting gender-based agendas.
now that's a right for the thread!  :crazy:

agibson

Quote from: vu84v2 on November 29, 2016, 11:54:35 AMI seem to remember South Carolina in the first game of the 1998-1999 season being ranked in the UPI poll. This was the game in the RCA Dome where Valpo played opposite Indiana.

Impressive memory! It does look like a nice couple of wins to start that season. South Carolina from the SEC and Seton Hall from the Big East.

The Valpo All-Time Results pdf doesn't have either ranked. But, double checking a bit... Neither team went on to do much. Carolina went 8-21 overall, last in the SEC (6th in the SEC East). They lost in the first round of the SEC tournament and their season was over. I don't know if anyone archives the ESPN/USA Today coaches polls back that far. The AP polls _are_ archived, but South Carolina doesn't seem to have made it.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/south-carolina/1999-schedule.html

They were much better the previous year, ranked throughout the season, got a 3 seed in the Big Dance, but were bounced by Richmond in the first round. They still were ranked #14 in the final AP poll. Maybe that's what you're remembering?

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/south-carolina/1998-schedule.html

But the writing must have been on the wall; they weren't ranked in the pre-season AP poll
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/seasons/1999.html#all_polls

Seton Hall did slightly better. 15-15 overall, 9th (of 13) in the Big East. Beat Notre Dame in the Big East tournament before falling in the second round. Did manage to get a bid, to lose in the first round of the NIT.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/seton-hall/1999-schedule.html

valpo64

We gave IU a run for their money as they pulled it out in the last 2 minutes or so behind the little left handed guard who I think now is an asst, at Butler.  Was it Mike Lewis?  We led late in the game but then he made some 3-pt shots very late  and IU won by just a few points. Perhaps I'm thinking of another time we played IU in Indy.

valpo64

As far as what type of defense is being played against us, why wouldn't teams play a zone against us?    What are we shooting?  Around 25%?  Maybe tonight we will get it right and shoot 3's well.  We are due!